Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

Got an email today from Aer Lingus informing me that my flight to Montpellier on 2nd July is cancelled.
    All flights from now until to Montpellier 4th July are cancelled
    Telling me I can change dates or claim voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I'd say there's a lot of people that cancelled their July and August holidays absolutely fuming after today's acceleration of phases.

We should have been sailing tomorrow for a month but I moved it to the 1st of August back in April so fingers crossed we'll be going.

Only slightly disappointed but still interested in seeing what sort of restrictions may be in place at the campsites.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Heroditas wrote: »
    Only slightly disappointed but still interested in seeing what sort of restrictions may be in place at the campsites.

I would assume they’ll all be along the lines of this, pools for swimming only no lounging around poolside.

https://www.camping-le-soleil.fr/en/the-health-and-hygiene-protocols

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

My campsite (yelloh) emailed and said

Swim pools- open with adapted hours and what sounds like staggered access, but access everyday for everyone

Outdoors sports- more non contact ones

Mini clubs - outdoors only

Entertainment- in smaller groups

Bar and restaurants- open with physical distancing measures

No masks

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭judgefoozle

Beanybabog wrote: »

Swim pools- open with adapted hours and what sounds like staggered access, but access everyday for everyone

No masks

We were sent similar for a Yelloh park. Had been holding out as long as possible to see what would be happening over there - but this sounds like it wouldn't be much craic at all.

We like being able to let the kids freely cycle around the place to visit and meet up with friends - can't see this being able to happen properly.

Also don't like the idea of having to keep an eye on your watch to make sure you don't miss pool opening/allocated times.

And another big one would be trips to outdoor markets and hypermarkets - doesn't sound like this is back to "normal" either.

Were due to travel end of June and were waiting on French news and Irish 14 day isolation news before making final decision - but once we saw this French info, we cancelled accommodation and holiday plans officially disappeared...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I’m happy enough with those restrictions. They’re the restrictions from when they open- they’ll
    Probably have eased up by the time I go 10
    Weeks later. They’re not going to get more strict because that would mean things have gone badly wrong, in which case I won’t be going anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

We like being able to let the kids freely cycle around the place to visit and meet up with friends - can't see this being able to happen properly.

From what I'm witnessing first hand in Dublin, where 2m restrictions are still in place, kids (5-18) are more or less congregating and interacting, including cycling in groups, as normal. That's not a criticism it's just that despite advice and warnings from parents it's just not natural, the reason for separation isn't visible or real to a lot of them and it's just not natural to stay apart. Kids are very tactile and share experiences etc. I don't think it'll be any different (better or worse) on campsites in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Beanybabog wrote: »

No masks

We could easily live with those restrictions.

Don't need/use Mini clubs any more, we'd likely use the beach (or onsite lake) a lot more than the pool and to be honest I can take or leave the entertainment. It's a nice backdrop especially if meeting up with others but it's just as easy to arrange to meet at one or the others mobile for drinks and chat / music etc on the deck instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Peckham

From what I'm aware of in certain countries on the continent they're not "enforcing" social distancing for kids in schools, so imagine they'll take a fairly laissez-faire attitude in relation to kids on campsites too.

Expect kids clubs will be running as normal with a few minor adjustments for hand washing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Peckham

54and56 wrote:

54and56 wrote:
    Don't need/use Mini clubs any more, we'd likely use the beach (or onsite lake) a lot more than the pool and to be honest I can take or leave the entertainment. It's a nice backdrop especially if meeting up with others but it's just as easy to arrange to meet at one or the others mobile for drinks and chat / music etc on the deck instead.

Same here. We're gung-ho for our trip in early August. Presuming situation continues to improve in both Ireland and France, plus no quarantine period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

54and56 wrote: »
    That's a bit disappointing all right as I'm in a similar position and if, as is almost certain, we can't travel in early July, I'd feel much better knowing we'd locked in the same accomodation on similar dates for next year rather than just have an IOU which may or may not cover next years pricing.

It's possible that Siblu simply don't actually have the ability to confirm bookings for next year just yet. Did they give you any indication as to when you will be able to use your voucher to book 2021 accomodation?

Just the bookings for next year open for july yet. This is bull as we booked july when in June the year before.

Voucher valid forv18 months and then cash back

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Booked a stay in Wexford on a lovely farm. Looking forward to it.

There was a part of me that really wanted to rethink the france possibility but I didn’t think it was wise, safer to stay at home in our view. If it goes great for everybody then that’s great, we will be more comfortable going next year.

Drumpot wrote: »
    Booked a stay in Wexford on a lovely farm. Looking forward to it.

There was a part of me that really wanted to rethink the france possibility but I didn’t think it was wise, safer to stay at home in our view. If it goes great for everybody then that’s great, we will be more comfortable going next year.

We will head to River valley in redcross for a good few weekends. Booked 4 so far

Yeah if you have older kids its easier. For us they are 7 and 9, also it be the south of France, as all flights are cancelled, there be no irish there either

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Dublin Mum

Same here. We have 3 children (ages 8-12) who often don’t bother with the kids clubs anyway. If pools are open it’s a bonus but happy to head off on day trips cycling or swimming at the beach. Not too fussed about the evening entertainment either, happy enough to sit at our pitch or explore neighbouring towns in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Irish Ferries WB Yeats back on the Dublin-Cherbourg route from tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭necstandards

https://inthevendee.com/covid-19-precautions-in-the-vendee/

Interesting what is mentioned about beachs...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I'd imagine some of those harsher restrictions will be lifted at the next announcement. There might be some capacity enforcement though, you'll need to head down to the beach at 5am and secure your spots with towels :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Brittany Ferries cancel Rosslare to Roscoff sailings until 29th June and Cork-Roscoff sailings until 4th July

Siblu got back to us with the voucher and explained why not taking any bookings for next year until Sept.

Basically they are swamped with the current workload and are trying to handle this first. Once its sorted they move on to next year. In fairness that is the right approach, take a step at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭NickTellis

Hi,

Anyone have any luck cancelling bookings with Sandaya in France? Had a pitch booked and fully paid for in July but we decided a few weeks ago to cancel the whole trip so I sent them an email but haven't heard anything back from them.

Thanks,
    NT

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Beaches are managed locally, not centrally it seems.

Vendee beaches are open for business, including sunbathing etc.

https://www.ouest-france.fr/pays-de-la-loire/saint-gilles-croix-de-vie-85800/pays-de-saint-gilles-croix-de-vie-la-bronzette-de-nouveau-autorisee-sur-la-plage-6856014

Some Google Translation below...
    After three weeks of “dynamic” beaches, the beaches of the Vendée coast are once again open to all types of activity, in particular the much awaited “lazing around” on your towel. Many also could not resist the summer temperatures of the Pentecost weekend to indulge in the sport of sunbathing. But know that now, when you lie on your towel, you are no longer outlawed.

However, gatherings of more than ten people are still prohibited. And it is imperative to respect barrier gestures and physical distance. In Saint-Hilaire-de-Riez, four mediators continue to travel the coast to answer questions.

NickTellis wrote: »
    Hi,

Anyone have any luck cancelling bookings with Sandaya in France? Had a pitch booked and fully paid for in July but we decided a few weeks ago to cancel the whole trip so I sent them an email but haven't heard anything back from them.

Thanks,
    NT

Yes we’ve changed our sailing dates for July and Sandaya are willing to move our booking too, I assumed we’d lose our deposit.
    Friends of ours were due to go in June so flights were cancelled, they’d paid in full but Sandaya allowed them to book the same dates for next summer.

Dublin Mum wrote: »
    Yes we’ve changed our sailing dates for July and Sandaya are willing to move our booking too, I assumed we’d lose our deposit.
    Friends of ours were due to go in June so flights were cancelled, they’d paid in full but Sandaya allowed them to book the same dates for next summer.

Finally got a mail from Sandaya saying they will give us a voucher for the full amount (€550) for use next year. That's a load off... assuming they don't go tits up in the meantime :rolleyes:

Finally got a mail from Sandaya saying they will give us a voucher for the full amount (€550) for use next year. That's a load off... assuming they don't go tits up in the meantime :rolleyes:

Doubt they will, I’d say you’re safe enough, they’re long established with sites all over France. We’re staying in their site in Spain next month. Fingers crossed our ferry sails (and 14 day isolation on return is lifted!).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Voucher is backed by French government

Voucher is backed by French government

Good to know, thanks. :)
    Anyone know how to go about using their 'voucher' as and when the time comes? This was the email I got from Sandaya, there are no details on how to actually go about cashing it in next year:

"We acknowledge receipt of your request and thank you for it.
    We inform you that following the cancellation of your stay due to the exceptional circumstances related to COVID 19, we will grant you an advance payment of €XXX valid for the 2020-2021 seasons on all SANDAYA campsites (except campsites partners)."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

Further to my earlier posts I bit the bullet and rang Irish Ferries today to defer our August trip to 2021. I got wonderful service, booking cancelled and my deposit (€100) transfered to next year. They could not have been nicer. To those who are travelling this year I wish you all Bon Voyage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Eurocamp not opening their Accommodation on any of their Sites until July 15th now , in case it affects anyone.

They keep pushing the Date out by approx 2 weeks each time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭Heroditas

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Eurocamp not opening their Accommodation on any of their Sites until July 15th now , in case it affects anyone.

They keep pushing the Date out by approx 2 weeks each time.

Even though we've already transferred our eurocamp booking from just over two weeks time (where the hell has this year gone?) until next year, it was still gnawing away at me that there was a slim chance we could still head away later this summer.
    Not a chance now if they keep pushing out their date. I'm actually looking forward to the date we were due to come home from France so I can start looking forward to next year already!

Advertisement