Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Seems you could just make a booking in your own name and then change the passenger names afterwards:

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/information/faqs/booking-information/how-much-will-it-cost-to-change-the-name-of-one-of-the

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

Brittany Ferries official position is to respect Irish government advise against non-essential international travel. I commend them for this as it will have a negative affect on their business.

However, if their ships are operating for freight traffic, can I give Brittany Ferries an affidavit to state that I am aware that I am travelling against government advice.

I have been in places before that the Irish government said that I should not go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Scoondal wrote: »
    Brittany Ferries official position is to respect Irish government advise against non-essential international travel. I commend them for this as it will have a negative affect on their business.

However, if their ships are operating for freight traffic, can I give Brittany Ferries an affidavit to state that I am aware that I am travelling against government advice.

I have been in places before that the Irish government said that I should not go to.

Why do you think you need to give them an afidavit?

Just rock up and travel. It's an advisory, not a dictat!!

You're free to travel if you want but don't expect any travel insurance cover or a lot of HSE sympathy if you get caught stuck in a French hospital.

Anyone here sail to France for a camping holiday in the last week or two or are planning on doing so in the next week or so regardless of the DFA advisory against all but essential travel to France?

I'm anticipating the travel advisory will be lifted in the next week or so just before we are due to travel so am making tentative preparations. As things stand we as a family are agreed that we will only sail if the DFA advisory is lifted so we have valid travel insurance but I'd nevertheless be interested to hear from people who are either in France currently or planning to go regardless of the DFA advisory and what the social distancing experience on site is like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭yiddo59

BF resume passenger sailings from Ireland to France starting with Kerry on Rosslare to Roscoff at 23.30 next Monday 29th June. Pont Aven on recommencing Cork to Roscoff Saturday 4th July at 4pm

[url] https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/information/coronavirus/ceo-message[/url]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Peckham

It's interesting that they mention (likely) lifting of quarantine etc. Shannon airport also opening next week.

But still no announcement from Irish government. Have travel companies been given the nod that the travel restrictions are going to be lifted this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Dublin Mum

Peckham wrote: »
    It's interesting that they mention (likely) lifting of quarantine etc. Shannon airport also opening next week.

But still no announcement from Irish government. Have travel companies been given the nod that the travel restrictions are going to be lifted this week?

I think so as Britanny Ferries stated on Friday they were relying on DFA and FCO advice and awaited Irish and UK Government updates on removing 14 day quarantine before they’d confirm when normal business would resume, whereas in a matter of 4 days they’ve completely changed their tune with this afternoon’s announcement.

I think their industry bodies are close to the air corridor / reciprocal arrangement negotiations going on between EU (and UK) countries. Seems like they are close to a deal so the travel companies are preparing to scale up so they are ready to go and don't get caught flat footed.

Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dmrules

Hi, so we are planning to drive from Ireland to Poland, first ferry to UK and then to France. On arrival to France(even it is only transit) we'll need to have 14 days quarantine right?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,936 ✭✭✭✭josip

dmrules wrote: »
    Hi, so we are planning to drive from Ireland to Poland, first ferry to UK and then to France. On arrival to France(even it is only transit) we'll need to have 14 days quarantine right?

It's a voluntary quarantine in France and if you're turning left in Calais and will be out of the country in an hour (as will we) I don't think the French will be too pushed about quarantining.

• Advertisement

Dublin Mum wrote:
    Looks like we might hear some good news today about the 14 day quarantine on return from certain EU countries:

Or perhaps not.

From Irish Times

"The likelihood of travel to and from Ireland resuming within days has receded further with Government sources confirming there is “not a chance†restrictions and quarantine rules will be lifted before the middle of next month.
    Even when the lifting of restrictions begins, the number of countries Irish people will be allowed to fly to is likely to be extremely limited."

They don't list France as one of the countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Or perhaps not.

From Irish Times

"The likelihood of travel to and from Ireland resuming within days has receded further with Government sources confirming there is “not a chance†restrictions and quarantine rules will be lifted before the middle of next month.
    Even when the lifting of restrictions begins, the number of countries Irish people will be allowed to fly to is likely to be extremely limited."

Where is the list? I’m surprised France won’t be listed doesn’t seem to be doing too bad.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Where is the list? I’m surprised France won’t be listed doesn’t seem to be doing too bad.

Below copied from article. In fairness it doesn't exclude France, and seems to be just a list of popular package holiday destinations.
    Officials from the Departments of Transport, Health and Foreign Affairs are drawing up a list of countries to get the travel green light in the first instance with Malta, Greece, Portugal, Spain and Croatia likely to be among those included.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/no-chance-foreign-travel-restrictions-will-lift-before-middle-of-july-government-source-1.4288205

Or perhaps not.

From Irish Times

The middle of next month is good news though. A few weeks ago there were national travel restrictions in place until 20th July, a lot of people who were in a position to amended ferry and flight bookings until after this date.
    I’m still very hopeful as we won’t be returning until mid-August.

Dublin Mum wrote: »
    The middle of next month is good news though. A few weeks ago there were national travel restrictions in place until 20th July, a lot of people who were in a position to amended ferry and flight bookings until after this date.
    I’m still very hopeful as we won’t be returning until mid-August.

You know what the government are like though with dates, to keep people calm. Remember the lockdown was only for “2 weeks”? They’ll probably keep extending it.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭deckie66

Or perhaps not.

From Irish Times

As well as the ferries, most airlines are resuming enhances schedules in and out of Dublin next week

Micky 32 wrote: »
    You know what the government are like though with dates, to keep people calm. Remember the lockdown was only for “2 weeks”? They’ll probably keep extending it.

Doing that won’t benefit the Irish economy or tourist sector in the slightest though, as people will just keep pushing out foreign travel plans, while others who are not concerned with DFA advice or 14 day isolation on return will just go ahead and travel abroad anyway.

It’s interesting how certain ferry companies and airlines have just this week confirmed it’s business as usual or have substantially increased their destinations all from next week. I’d be hopeful there will be a government u turn on EU travel within the next week at the latest, especially given the public transport announcement yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Restrictions to be eased for travel to/from certain countries on 9th July

Foreign travel restrictions will be eased from July 9th with travellers permitted to move between countries with similar levels of coronavirus infection. A green list will be compiled before that date detailing which countries people can travel between without having to undergo a 14-day quarantine. Mr Varadkar said the list of accepted countries could change every two weeks. “If a country ends up having a second wave, they may be taken off the list.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/coronavirus-foreign-travel-restrictions-will-be-eased-from-july-9th-1.4288529

• Registered Users Posts: 50 what the heck

We got an email yesterday advising that our campsite booking won't be going ahead in August. Eurocamp won't be operating that campsite this year... :-(

Of course, if they had told us this last week, we wouldn't be in a situation of losing 50% of our ferry cost - it would have been just €100... grrrrrr....

• Advertisement

We got an email yesterday advising that our campsite booking won't be going ahead in August. Eurocamp won't be operating that campsite this year... :-(

Of course, if they had told us this last week, we wouldn't be in a situation of losing 50% of our ferry cost - it would have been just €100... grrrrrr....

Would you not consider contacting the campsite and booking directly? You’ll probably get superior accommodation too? In the unlikely event the campsite is closed you could book a different one.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 what the heck

Dublin Mum wrote: »
    Would you not consider contacting the campsite and booking directly? You’ll probably get superior accommodation too? In the unlikely event the campsite is closed you could book a different one.
    I'm not sure... a lot of the services are scaled back (no restaurant, no minimarket, no sunloungers and others...) and yet the price is the same as normal. If we booked direct, we could transfer the eurocamp deposit, but it would be like double paying for this year's holiday.

EC have suggested alternatives, but one I had ruled out on initial research, the others are further south than we want to go this year...

I'm taking it as a sign... haven't been 100% committed on the trip for a while...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭Heroditas

We were due to be heading on the ferry to Cherbourg this afternoon after the kids finished up school for the year. Really starting to hit home now. I should have been loading the last few bits into the roof box at this very moment.
    Instead I'm counting down the days to our rescheduled France holiday next year. :(

I'm not sure... a lot of the services are scaled back (no restaurant, no minimarket, no sunloungers and others...) and yet the price is the same as normal. If we booked direct, we could transfer the eurocamp deposit, but it would be like double paying for this year's holiday.

EC have suggested alternatives, but one I had ruled out on initial research, the others are further south than we want to go this year...

I'm taking it as a sign... haven't been 100% committed on the trip for a while...

Ah ok. I’d assumed Eurocamp were refunding you and that you still wanted to actually go on holiday to France.

We’re sailing to Spain for 3 weeks in July and a few weeks ago I pushed out our sailing by 2 weeks to buy us time to decide what to do. The only campsite we’d booked (part of the Sandaya chain) also pushed out our booking. There are restrictions alright but the pool is open, less sunloungers etc but we’ll bring bikes anyway and are happy to go to the beach. Our kids aren’t into kids clubs but they’re going ahead anyway, smaller numbers and all outdoors. We stay in several different places and move about a lot too and use aires as well as campsites so easy enough to social distance and stay safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Heroditas wrote: »
    We were due to be heading on the ferry to Cherbourg this afternoon after the kids finished up school for the year. Really starting to hit home now. I should have been loading the last few bits into the roof box at this very moment.
    Instead I'm counting down the days to our rescheduled France holiday next year. :(

Aye, some comic on twitter had the right of it

'This time of year, I should be getting the nod to go down a slide, now I'm getting the nod to get into Aldi'

We've made our peace with it, In the grand scheme of things, its 2 weeks out of our whole lives. I have to admit though, google photos keeps surfacing photos of past years holidays on my phone and it does induce a little melancholy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭Heroditas

We've made our peace with it, In the grand scheme of things, its 2 weeks out of our whole lives. I have to admit though, google photos keeps surfacing photos of past years holidays on my phone and it does induce a little melancholy.

Yep, that pretty much sums it up for us as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

Heroditas wrote: »
    Yep, that pretty much sums it up for us as well!

Not only will we miss our annual France trip this year, we will also miss meeting our son, his wife and our two beautiful granddaughters. But as the medical advice is strongly against unnecessary travel, that's just the story of 2020.

I hope everyone who takes the risk of going abroad this year will not bring back a rise in cases of Covid-19 and the regrets that that will engender.

GreyEagle wrote: »
    I hope everyone who takes the risk of going abroad this year will not bring back a rise in cases of Covid-19 and the regrets that that will engender.

I'm currently wrestling with this and want to make a decision based on evidence rather than subjectivity.

If France has a similar R rate to Ireland how could traveling there increase the risk of becoming infected with Covid Vs staying home and for example traveling to Wexford for a holiday?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,936 ✭✭✭✭josip

GreyEagle wrote: »

Why do so many of those who choose not to travel this summer also decide to preach from the high moral ground to those who may?
    I am more likely to get Covid at our local beach here in Ireland due to lack of observance of social distancing and crowding, than I will at the beach we normally go to in Europe.

• Advertisement

54and56 wrote: »
    I'm currently wrestling with this and want to make a decision based on evidence rather than subjectivity.

If France has a similar R rate to Ireland how could traveling there increase the risk of becoming infected with Covid Vs staying home and for example traveling to Wexford for a holiday?

It’s the stigma of travel from other countries that brought the virus here so travel to and from other countries will be seen as the enemy.

However if 2 countries have the same infection level it won’t be anymore risky travelling to that country no more than it would be travelling throughout Ireland.

This is why air bridges are suggested because the government know this.

Advertisement