Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

54and56 wrote: »
    I'm currently wrestling with this and want to make a decision based on evidence rather than subjectivity.

If France has a similar R rate to Ireland how could traveling there increase the risk of becoming infected with Covid Vs staying home and for example traveling to Wexford for a holiday?

Wexford won’t be full of German, Dutch and Belgian families.

I expect the R rate to increase in foreign holiday hotspots as it did in Italian ski resorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Gavlor wrote: »
    Wexford won’t be full of German, Dutch and Belgian families.

I expect the R rate to increase in foreign holiday hotspots as it did in Italian ski resorts.

Scientifically I fail to see how German, Dutch or Belgium people with a similar R rate are any more infectious than Cork, Kilkenny or Roscommon people?

I think you are conflating infections in ski resorts at the early stage of the pandemic when there was no social distancing and other precautions with current societal behaviour which across all countries is much more conservative and prudent.

This looks very promising - https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2020/jun/26/britons-to-be-allowed-to-holiday-abroad-from-july-via-air-bridges?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_WhatsApp

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Scientifically I fail to see how German, Dutch or Belgium people with a similar R rate are any more infectious than Cork, Kilkenny or Roscommon people?

I think you are conflating infections in ski resorts at the early stage of the pandemic when there was no social distancing and other precautions with current societal behaviour which across all countries is much more conservative and prudent.

This looks very promising - https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2020/jun/26/britons-to-be-allowed-to-holiday-abroad-from-july-via-air-bridges?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_WhatsApp

Certain Germany regions have increased the R to 2.8 so it’s completely different to Roscommon!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Dublin Mum

Was reading that earlier, I’m very positive we’ll hear something before the end of next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Dublin Mum wrote: »
    Was reading that earlier, I’m very positive we’ll hear something before the end of next week.

This from Dr Holohan is giving me pause for thought

https://twitter.com/CMOIreland/status/1276771286438592512

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

This article is headlined by a photo of an almost deserted beach. Whereas the beaches on the south coast of England were crowded with holiday makers packed together in the last few days. Not a good omen for the resorts in Spain, France and Italy this summer. At least we all now know the risks and the responsibilities that we face. Tony Holohan is very clear on what we should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,936 ✭✭✭✭josip

GreyEagle wrote: »
    This article is headlined by a photo of an almost deserted beach. Whereas the beaches on the south coast of England were crowded with holiday makers packed together in the last few days.

This is a very good point you make. Irish and UK beaches are likely to continue to be very crowded this summer if people follow the staycation recommendation, whereas southern European beaches will be less busy than usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

You may have misunderstood my point. Anybody can contrive a photograph showing an almost deserted beach to illustrate the idyllic attraction of a sunshine destination this summer as in the Guardian article. What the reality of congestion will be on the costas and campsites remains to be seen. The advice of NPHET still stands, it is strongly against such non-essential travel. The risk of re-importing the virus is much higher if you choose to ignore that advice. The responsibility is yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Marronn05

Just wondering if anyone knows if you can be stopped getting on the ferry to France? My family and are I hoping to go at the start of July. As France has opened and we are happy to isolate at home for 14 days on return, just want to make sure we won't be denied access.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Marronn05 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone knows if you can be stopped getting on the ferry to France? My family and are I hoping to go at the start of July. As France has opened and we are happy to isolate at home for 14 days on return, just want to make sure we won't be denied access.

You definitely wont be stopped.

• Advertisement

yiddo59 wrote: »
    You definitely wont be stopped.

Are you sure you don't have to justify yourself for inessential travel? My husband works from home so he'll continue to do so on our return to Ireland. I'm hoping to book during the week but don't want to lose the money if the Gardaí for example have a check prior to ferry boarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Are you sure you don't have to justify yourself for inessential travel? My husband works from home so he'll continue to do so on our return to Ireland. I'm hoping to book during the week but don't want to lose the money if the Gardaí for example have a check prior to ferry boarding.

All the indications are that you can travel where you like, and stay overnight, from Monday next.
    If the Ferry Company sell you a ticket, you can travel.
    You will be expected to wear a mask while in public areas on the ferry.
    France is almost back to normal, and campsites are glad to welcome tourists.
    Gardai no longer have the authority to turn you back from any journey you are making.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Ladylouth

You cannot be stopped from travelling. You can certainly be asked why, but you probably don't have to answer. We are going to book and travel on the ferry mid-July. We have been very compliant to date, we will have a very physically distant holiday (no different fro the last few years), no crowded beaches, more likely a picnic in the middle of nowhere. We will keep our distance from others on the ferry over and back and we will sign whatever paperwork we are expected to on return. The document in question asks you to say where you will be a
    based for two weeks and makes no demands about isolation whatsoever. If we feel we have been exposed to potential infection, we will isolate (regardless of whether we have to sign anything or not by the time we come back). The time for adult responsibility is here. Make our own decisions, in our own context, for our own safety and that of others. But equally, we have to live life now. I love the confidence of those who will let their holiday go for this year, but who knows where they will be next year? I admire Tony Holohan greatly, and think he has worked hard to lead in a very uncertain time. But there comes a time when we have to resume life or give it up.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    All the indications are that you can travel where you like, and stay overnight, from Monday next.
    If the Ferry Company sell you a ticket, you can travel.
    You will be expected to wear a mask while in public areas on the ferry.
    France is almost back to normal, and campsites are glad to welcome tourists.
    Gardai no longer have the authority to turn you back from any journey you are making.

Thank you for your reply :) I think I'll go ahead and book so! We're waiting on our baby's passport to arrive Tuesday, then we're good to go!

Ladylouth wrote: »
    You cannot be stopped from travelling. You can certainly be asked why, but you probably don't have to answer. We are going to book and travel on the ferry mid-July. We have been very compliant to date, we will have a very physically distant holiday (no different fro the last few years), no crowded beaches, more likely a picnic in the middle of nowhere. We will keep our distance from others on the ferry over and back and we will sign whatever paperwork we are expected to on return. The document in question asks you to say where you will be a
    based for two weeks and makes no demands about isolation whatsoever. If we feel we have been exposed to potential infection, we will isolate (regardless of whether we have to sign anything or not by the time we come back). The time for adult responsibility is here. Make our own decisions, in our own context, for our own safety and that of others. But equally, we have to live life now. I love the confidence of those who will let their holiday go for this year, but who knows where they will be next year? I admire Tony Holohan greatly, and think he has worked hard to lead in a very uncertain time. But there comes a time when we have to resume life or give it up.

I agree :) we've been completely isolating since the schools closed but now want our Regular France camping holiday. We'll def be keeping to ourselves too.. I'm looking at ferry July 4th.. you don't think that'll be an issue?

Thank you for your reply :) I think I'll go ahead and book so! We're waiting on our baby's passport to arrive Tuesday, then we're good to go!

Good on ye - have a wonderful time.

I agree :) we've been completely isolating since the schools closed but now want our Regular France camping holiday. We'll def be keeping to ourselves too.. I'm looking at ferry July 4th.. you don't think that'll be an issue?

I don't. We are looking at July 16th. If anyone asks us why we are travelling, we will say we are taking our holiday. We live in a free country, we can leave, they may not like it, but they cannot keep us here. Have a great time!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I don't. We are looking at July 16th. If anyone asks us why we are travelling, we will say we are taking our holiday. We live in a free country, we can leave, they may not like it, but they cannot keep us here. Have a great time!

Just remember to self isolate on your return - cases seem to be on the rise again and I note the UK aren't opening up a travel corridor with France yet :( - I'm due to travel to France in September and I still feel like I'll probably have to postpone - everything is up in the air and I don't fancy a holiday with a heightened sense of pandemic...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I think its more France not wanting people from the UK yet, and a bit of "tit for tat" diplomatic posturing going on as a result.
    We are sailing in the first week of August and I don't see any real problems at the moment.
    The "lock down" was introduced to curb the spread, and prevent the HSE being overwhelmed.
    That seems to have been much more successful than anticipated, hospitals are empty and the private ones given back to their owners.
    Unless there is a huge surge in hospitalizations, we are on the way back to normality.

Thanks a million and you too!

• Advertisement

Even in the current phase (ending tomorrow) if you are stopped by Garda at Covid19 checkpoint and could show a ticket for ferry travel you'd be allowed to travel to the port.

Even in the current phase (ending tomorrow) if you are stopped by Garda at Covid19 checkpoint and could show a ticket for ferry travel you'd be allowed to travel to the port.

Sorry just one last question!! Do we need to have a form with us filled out with our details etc on arrival at Dublin port? Just terrified we'd pay for the holiday but then not be allowed go!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Sorry just one last question!! Do we need to have a form with us filled out with our details etc on arrival at Dublin port? Just terrified we'd pay for the holiday but then not be allowed go!

You might have to fill out a form but unless something drastic happens you won’t be stopped from travelling.

Doubt you'll have to fill in any forms when departing the country but even if you do you'll still be able to travel! Enjoy!

We were due to sail tomorrow to Roscoff from Rosslare but knocked it back til September. Not worried bout things in France but cant afford to take the 14 day quarantine on return!

Doubt you'll have to fill in any forms when departing the country but even if you do you'll still be able to travel! Enjoy!

We were due to sail tomorrow to Roscoff from Rosslare but knocked it back til September. Not worried bout things in France but cant afford to take the 14 day quarantine on return!

I completely understand. My husband has been working from home since the schools closed and they've been allowed to continue.. I stay home to mind our 5 kids, that's the only reason we can do the 14 day quarantine!

Pretzill wrote: »
    Just remember to self isolate on your return - cases seem to be on the rise again and I note the UK aren't opening up a travel corridor with France yet :( - I'm due to travel to France in September and I still feel like I'll probably have to postpone - everything is up in the air and I don't fancy a holiday with a heightened sense of pandemic...

I totally respect your point of view. As I said in my earlier post, if I feel I have been exposed in any way on my trip, I most certainly will isolate, even if I have not had to sign any form to commit to that by the time we return in August. I take my social responsibility in this very seriously. That, however, does not necessarily equate to a staycation. As we move forward in this, it will be our own choices and behaviour that save us or otherwise. We cannot expect Dr Tony to make every decision for us. We are most grateful for the competent leadership he gave in this horrific experience, but also feel we are ready now to make considered, safe choices for ourselves that respect fully the gravity of this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

I totally respect your point of view. As I said in my earlier post, if I feel I have been exposed in any way on my trip, I most certainly will isolate, even if I have not had to sign any form to commit to that by the time we return in August. I take my social responsibility in this very seriously. That, however, does not necessarily equate to a staycation. As we move forward in this, it will be our own choices and behaviour that save us or otherwise. We cannot expect Dr Tony to make every decision for us. We are most grateful for the competent leadership he gave in this horrific experience, but also feel we are ready now to make considered, safe choices for ourselves that respect fully the gravity of this situation.

"we are ready now to make considered, safe choices for ourselves that respect fully the gravity of this situation"

THINK ABOUT OTHERS....

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

https://www.thejournal.ie/travel-abroad-virus-cases-in-ireland-5135453-Jun2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭mrskinner

Ladylouth, you do not know you have been exposed in any way on your trip until you begin to show symptoms. When this happens you will already have made contact with many people and probably have passed the virus on to these people who would be your friends, family and neighbours. I do hope the choices you make are considered and safe and that respect the gravity of the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

mrskinner wrote: »
    Ladylouth, you do not know you have been exposed in any way on your trip until you begin to show symptoms. When this happens you will already have made contact with many people and probably have passed the virus on to these people who would be your friends, family and neighbours. I do hope the choices you make are considered and safe and that respect the gravity of the situation.

The same thing applies to every activity people are going to be doing from today as a result of restrictions easing here. Are people going to be hounded and harassed for going to super valu now, for touching a stair handrail in a shopping centre, for getting their hair cut by another human etc?

The level of screeching about potential foreign travel is really starting to get disproportionate. It's getting ugly on the boards travel forum.

Advertisement