Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

FGS

Easing overseas travel rules may be delayed

Are we supposed to wait for the whole continent to be virus free before we leave home again? I thought the idea of the restrictions was to flatten the curve, not eradicate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

spockety wrote: »
    The same thing applies to every activity people are going to be doing from today as a result of restrictions easing here. Are people going to be hounded and harassed for going to super valu now, for touching a stair handrail in a shopping centre, for getting their hair cut by another human etc?

The level of screeching about potential foreign travel is really starting to get disproportionate. It's getting ugly on the boards travel forum.

The numbers of Trumpian comments are really starting to get disproportionate.All that I would expect of my fellow humans is that they follow the guidelines. Is that ugly?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

sceach16 wrote: »
    The numbers of Trumpian comments are really starting to get disproportionate.All that I would expect of my fellow humans is that they follow the guidelines. Is that ugly?

Ha, can definitely promise you I sympathise with pretty much nothing Trump says.

There are guidelines right now that say if you come into Ireland from abroad you must self isolate for 14 days. If people are willing to do that, do you have a problem with it?

A ferry to France followed by a 2 week holiday in a self catering mobile home, spending the days sitting on a quiet beach is pretty low risk. If someone goes ahead and does that, then comes home and happily spends 14 days quarantining themselves, what's your view of that?

Ha, can definitely promise you I sympathise with pretty much nothing Trump says.

There are guidelines right now that say if you come into Ireland from abroad you must self isolate for 14 days. If people are willing to do that, do you have a problem with it?

A ferry to France followed by a 2 week holiday in a self catering mobile home, spending the days sitting on a quiet beach is pretty low risk. If someone goes ahead and does that, then comes home and happily spends 14 days quarantining themselves, what's your view of that?

People are being warned against unnecessary travel abroad with 11% of Covid-19 cases in Ireland in the last two weeks being travel related.
    The Chair of the Irish Epidemiological Modelling Advisory Group said non-essential travel outside of Ireland is too big a risk to take.
    Restrictions on domestic travel have been lifted as part of Phase 3 of the easing of restrictions, but Professor Philip Nolan said Ireland does not need the risk or burden of importing cases unnecessarily.

Repeat....Follow the guidelines! Non essential foreign travel is a no no. https://www.dfa.ie/travel/

People are being warned against unnecessary travel abroad with 11% of Covid-19 cases in Ireland in the last two weeks being travel related.
    The Chair of the Irish Epidemiological Modelling Advisory Group said non-essential travel outside of Ireland is too big a risk to take.
    Restrictions on domestic travel have been lifted as part of Phase 3 of the easing of restrictions, but Professor Philip Nolan said Ireland does not need the risk or burden of importing cases unnecessarily.

Repeat....Follow the guidelines! Non essential foreign travel is a no no. https://www.dfa.ie/travel/

You've basically ignored my question. If someone comes in from abroad and genuinely self isolates for 2 weeks at home, what is your view of that? I'm talking specifically in the case of a ferry, where you drive off the Ferry into Ireland and can conceivably come into contact with zero people between the ferry terminal and your home where you hunker down for a fortnight.

Can you elaborate on the risks associated with that, in terms of becoming patient zero for a 2nd wave in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Its ridiculous, they are trapping us on this island and being tricky.

We can not live like this for years. The virus will not be eradicated any time soon.

These health officials are getting too big for there boots. Stop allowing them spout personal opinions on the airwaves- backed by questionable and ridiculous stats.

You've basically ignored my question. If someone comes in from abroad and genuinely self isolates for 2 weeks at home, what is your view of that? I'm talking specifically in the case of a ferry, where you drive off the Ferry into Ireland and can conceivably come into contact with zero people between the ferry terminal and your home where you hunker down for a fortnight.

Can you elaborate on the risks associated with that, in terms of becoming patient zero for a 2nd wave in Ireland?

Are you conveniently ignoring the context of persons returning? The comments were that they would travel abroad on holiday .Guidelines are very clear, advice is clear. Do Not.

Are you conveniently ignoring the context of persons returning? The comments were that they would travel abroad on holiday .Guidelines are very clear, advice is clear. Do Not.

We living in some sort of totalitarian state now? We seriously should not be allowing unelected health advisors own us.

We suppressed the virus and gave away our liberty for many months. It is crucial we regain our liberty now or else we will cede power and allow a new normal which is dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,117 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Opening up of limited travel is clearly coming from the EU, Tony Holohan throws his toys out of the pram and is telling us to spend our money in Ireland this summer and all of a sudden we're reading stories planted in the media about reneging on the commitment to reopen from less than a week ago? Sorry, I'm getting pissed off now. If the rest of the EU think opening up internal borders with limits and caution is ok then why are we bowing to one public health official here? I've the boat to France booked in September and would have been on the fence about defying any government travel warnings but not if this is how they're going to treat us, I will be going regardless if things continue to improve as they have been.

Opening up of limited travel is clearly coming from the EU, Tony Holohan has throws his toys out of the pram and is telling us to spend our money in Ireland this summer and all of a sudden we're reading stories planted in the media about reneging on the commitment to reopen from less than a week ago? Sorry, I'm getting pissed off now. If the rest of the EU think opening up internal borders with limits and caution is ok then why are we bowing to one public health official here? I've the boat to France booked in September and would have been on the fence about defying any government travel warnings but not if this is how they're going to treat us, I will be going regardless if things continue to improve as they have been.
    The same guy who didnt lock the borders when the epidemic was soaring exponentially and up until a few weeks ago dismissed the idea of face masks.

Whilst weve made good progress and he can take some credit, at this stage he needs to know his place and stop interfering with the restablishment of our full rights and freedoms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

People can feel as though they are trapped if they wish, they can head off on their holidays also - it's not mandatory it's guidance. If you catch the virus while away, or more likely, while travelling - you may not know you have it - that's why self isolating afterwards is recommended - but also getting us all back to some sort of normal on this island is more important to me, then having a short holiday and then the prospect of another outbreak where we are all in lock down again.

Ok you can't answer my question, no worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Well we've applied for the EHIC card and checked the car insurance who confirmed ok to go. We'll almost certainly go I think unless numbers deteriorate dramatically in eh, middle of rural France....

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Ladylouth

"we are ready now to make considered, safe choices for ourselves that respect fully the gravity of this situation"

THINK ABOUT OTHERS....

Absolutely. That's why we have been isolating for three months, isn't it? We are now moving to a new phase. We will need to behave responsibly and make considered decisions by ourselves (better phrasing here than my original "for ourselves"). We won't always have NPHET to decide for us, and they have said as much themselves. There is no zero risk in anything we do, there never was, even pre-Covid. So we will have to be adults, considering the risks to ourselves and others and decide accordingly.

mrskinner wrote: »
    Ladylouth, you do not know you have been exposed in any way on your trip until you begin to show symptoms. When this happens you will already have made contact with many people and probably have passed the virus on to these people who would be your friends, family and neighbours. I do hope the choices you make are considered and safe and that respect the gravity of the situation.

I don't see how you can know how many people I will have been in contact with by the time I know I have the virus? I have already said that my choices are considered and respect the gravity of the situation. That happens not to mean a staycation, and it happens to mean respectfully declining NPHET's invitation not to travel. This also does not mean engaging in risky behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

At the risk of back seat modding, wouldn't the thread be better served by giving info about travelling, rather than having moral arguments better suited to the coronavirus forum?

ellee wrote: »
    Well we've applied for the EHIC card and checked the car insurance who confirmed ok to go. We'll almost certainly go I think unless numbers deteriorate dramatically in eh, middle of rural France....

Have a lovely time!

At the risk of back seat modding, wouldn't the thread be better served by giving info about travelling, rather than having moral arguments better suited to the coronavirus forum?

Agreed! I am one who has been dragged off track in the thread and should have more sense. All going well, I hope to travel on 16th July and will update on my ferry experience for others thinking of going later. No more moralizing from me!

Curious to know if anyone has experience of heading away this week.. how busy is the ferry etc? Might not get an answer here as I think people will be terrified of admitting they went away...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

It will just get the threads closed when things go off topic, so just report the posts...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jeffm587

Ladylouth wrote: »
    Agreed! I am one who has been dragged off track in the thread and should have more sense. All going well, I hope to travel on 16th July and will update on my ferry experience for others thinking of going later. No more moralizing from me!

Thanks for this hope you get away ok in July and look forward to hearing what the ferry is like by then. ( will the restaurants , bar , Club Class lounge be functioning with SD measures in place) . Due out on the Ferry early August and like yourself we have done everything asked of us so far and will make a calculated risk assessment closer to the time based on all the information at that time

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭pmpa

A question for anyone that has travelled on the W.B. Yeats, we are a family of 5. Next year, we will have twins aged 15 and a 10 year old, my question is what are the cabins like that sleep 5? Want to know what cabin or cabins to book when next year sailings come out, so I am ready to book straight away. Has anyone paid for the club class and is it worth it? Have sailed previously on the Oscar Wilde and Pont Aven so I always knew what to book on those ships.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭webpal

pmpa wrote: »
    A question for anyone that has travelled on the W.B. Yeats, we are a family of 5. Next year, we will have twins aged 15 and a 10 year old, my question is what are the cabins like that sleep 5? Want to know what cabin or cabins to book when next year sailings come out, so I am ready to book straight away. Has anyone paid for the club class and is it worth it? Have sailed previously on the Oscar Wilde and Pont Aven so I always knew what to book on those ships.

I'm open to correction on this but i dont think they have cabins for 5. I have noticed recently on their website they have "4 bed cabin for 5 people" for the same price as 4 people. I would hazard a guess that this just includes an extra pillow so people wont be constantly asking for an extra one from reception.

Its tight enough with 3 kids, let alone 2 15 yr olds and a 10 yr old

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Jeffm587 wrote: »
    Thanks for this hope you get away ok in July and look forward to hearing what the ferry is like by then. ( will the restaurants , bar , Club Class lounge be functioning with SD measures in place) . Due out on the Ferry early August and like yourself we have done everything asked of us so far and will make a calculated risk assessment closer to the time based on all the information at that time

Excerpt from an email I just got from IF

P5I1ot.png

I don't think there are cabins for five. Recently, as another poster has mentioned, they have added the possibility of booking a four bed cabin for five people. We have a twelve year old and eight year old twins, who sleep in the one bunk for now. This year we are going to add the club class to our booking on the way out, just to see what it's like. Will report back in due course!

webpal wrote: »
    I'm open to correction on this but i dont think they have cabins for 5. I have noticed recently on their website they have "4 bed cabin for 5 people" for the same price as 4 people. I would hazard a guess that this just includes an extra pillow so people wont be constantly asking for an extra one from reception.

Its tight enough with 3 kids, let alone 2 15 yr olds and a 10 yr old

I will have to contact Irish Ferries about the cabins which says it sleeps 5. I.F. state bedding for 4 people is only supplied in those cabins. I was hoping someone might have stayed in one of these cabins to make it clearer. I'm not on Twitter or Facebook to ask them that way so will leave ringing them until the dates are out as I know they are busy with dealing with people for this summer.
    We use a ferry every year except this year and always found 1 cabin fine as we would only use it to sleep but I'm conscious now that the 3 kids are getting very tall so might just book 2 cabins. Always prefer to spend the money on a nice meal on the ferry rather than a cabin that is only used for a few hours!

Ladylouth wrote: »
    I don't think there are cabins for five. Recently, as another poster has mentioned, they have added the possibility of booking a four bed cabin for five people. We have a twelve year old and eight year old twins, who sleep in the one bunk for now. This year we are going to add the club class to our booking on the way out, just to see what it's like. Will report back in due course!

Thanks Ladylouth. It looks like I will have to get two cabins so. Please do report back how you found the club class and if it is worth it and what cabin you stayed in. Any other tips for the W.B. Yeats would be appreciated! Have a fantastic holiday. I'm researching next year's holiday already to give us all something to look forward to!

on the WB Yeats twice last year once with Clubclass and once as I was travelling alone without . Its definitely worth it with kids in my opinion, lot's of space, good views, free tea coffee soft drinks & self serve snacks. But as mentioned above that might not all be in place this summer . Be interesting to see if they open up bars etc in line with when they open fully here . If you are travelling in 2021 and restrictions are pretty much all gone by then I would say its worth it. You can upgrade to Clubclass if you don't book a Clubclass cabin I'm sure.

Jeffm587 wrote: »
    on the WB Yeats twice last year once with Clubclass and once as I was travelling alone without . Its definitely worth it with kids in my opinion, lot's of space, good views, free tea coffee soft drinks & self serve snacks. But as mentioned above that might not all be in place this summer . Be interesting to see if they open up bars etc in line with when they open fully here . If you are travelling in 2021 and restrictions are pretty much all gone by then I would say its worth it. You can upgrade to Clubclass if you don't book a Clubclass cabin I'm sure.

Thanks Jeff, I was thinking the club class would be good for us especially with 3 older kids. Hopefully by summer 2021 everything will be open on the ferry. We knew the Oscar Wilde and The Pont Aven well so trying to get information on the W.B.Y. to see what peoples opinions are of the different cabins etc.
    We are doing a staycation this year and were planning on fly/drive next year to parts of France we haven't been but the kids say they would miss the ferry too much and don't want to fly. I'll miss going to France this year so hoping planning next years holiday will help!

• Advertisement

Been on the Oscar Wilde and the Pont Aven a good bit over the last 10 years and the Yeats is a nicer ship I think than both . The standard 4 berth cabins are a little a more bright and roomier than the OW. The deluxe are really nice but outrageously expensive in Summertime. Food offering is similar and always room for improvement there I think, with the higher end restaurant again overpriced and they seem to serve unnecessarily large portions as if by way of compensation we always thought.

Advertisement