Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Ladylouth

Required by law?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Ladylouth wrote: »
    Required by law?
    yep
    subsection 2 of the law bringing quarantine into force is:
    (2) Subject to subsection (4) and any regulations made under section 38G(1)(g)(ii) and (iii), an applicable traveller shall quarantine at a designated facility and shall remain in quarantine at that facility in accordance with this Act

then cross border travel is not exempt ....
    For the purposes of subsection (2), an applicable traveller shall—
    (a) prior to his or her arrival in the State, pre-book a place in a designated facility,

(b) present himself or herself—

(i) where his or her arrival in the State is at a port or an airport, to a relevant person, an approved person or a member of the Garda Síochána, or

(ii) where his or her arrival in the State is not at a port or airport, or is at a port or an airport in which there is no such person or member present, at the designated facility referred to in paragraph (a) as soon as practicable but in any event no later than 4 hours after such arrival,

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2021/act/1/enacted/en/print.html

Thanks for that. Looks like we need to look at Spain!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Thanks for that. Looks like we need to look at Spain!
    I heard in some articles and whatnot that it has a sunset clause in mid June and from what I can see thats true. The MHQ has a fixed duration of 3months and for once Mr Donnelly cannot extend it with the stroke of a pen, it seems to need a Dail vote, even for renewal.

That aside, the EU have stayed quiet with any objections to the MHQ as it was balanced by extremely severe domestic measures like the 5km limit and shutting everything for waaaaaaaaaaay longer than anywhere else in Europe (in fairness, possibly actually the world) to cope with a very serious situation.

If the 5km limit is lifted in Ireland along with other emergency measures then its hard for Mr Donnelly to justify keeping variant free EU countries on that list for much longer regardless of whether he forces a Dail vote through in June for extending it in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭MizMix

Hotel quarantine will not be there for France by June!

Ladylouth I did but no direct flights- we could go to Paris but much longer drive. On the fence about what to do as I think by June 26 we might get away via Dublin without too much hassle. I am also from Louth but work in the North

• Advertisement

Really hard to know what to do. Maybe another few weeks will see things looking up, but am starting to feel like we should be looking at alternatives as back up at this stage. Possibly leaving through NI/UK and returning from Spain!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Really hard to know what to do. Maybe another few weeks will see things looking up, but am starting to feel like we should be looking at alternatives as back up at this stage. Possibly leaving through NI/UK and returning from Spain!

either the restrictions will still be in place, or not. How you get there and back won't change that.

We've to pay the ferry balance by the second week in June, I'm hopeful things will be clearer by then (whether we can get any accommodation is the other question but we'll sleep on the beach if necessary :pac:)

It's not that straightforward! At the moment, there's a big difference between coming back into Ireland from France or Spain. If restrictions as they are now are still in place, we can avoid the €2k on the way out by going via Belfast, and avoid MHQ by spending two weeks in Spain and returning to home from there. If the €2k fine is still in place, we may have to travel Spain-UK-NI-ROI and then do our two weeks isolation at home. You'd need a special qualification in Restriction Evasion to stay ahead of this!! We have to make a call on Irish Ferries by the end of May and have accommodation we can cancel until mid June, so it looks like I may be cancelling the ferry to keep all our options open until the last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

The2k fine was due to expire on 4 May and has been extended by statutory instrument until 10 May. I can conceive of no reason for only a 6 day extension other than it will cease on that date and we will be “advised” against non-essential travel rather than penalised for it.

Yes and the end of the 2k fine will barely be mentioned so loads will think it's still in play....now it's just when EU countries will be removed from MHQ- I can't see countries like France still being on it too much longer and def not by mid June

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

Can anyone recommend a good campsite with lots of activities and plenty of English speaking kids in the st jean de Monts region?

Its for a touring caravan so it needs plenty of pitches. Le Clarys seem to be all mobile homes now.

thanks.

Deeman83 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good campsite with lots of activities and plenty of English speaking kids in the st jean de Monts region?

Its for a touring caravan so it needs plenty of pitches. Le Clarys seem to be all mobile homes now.

thanks.

Not that exact area but vendee is only 40 or so minutes drive. We have stayed in le pins parasol- last time there it was full of Irish. Time before mainly Dutch and French. I recommend the newer nature in sens area (newer section and much more spacious). We stay in a chalet but there are a good few very large camping pitches in that section.

Bit the bullet today and pushed our visit out till mid August. The fact the 2k fine was extended again today doesn't fill me with confidence but by August if we can get via Dublin we will go via Belfast if that's an option. Couldn't line up both sites (had also booked a second week in ile de re). So 10 days in pins parasol. Will be delighted if we get back- ile de re in 2022 along with dordogne I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Deeman83 wrote: »

thanks.

Les Gennets, just up the road from clary's plage but not as mental when it gets busy. Don't know the number of touring pitches but found the staff very helpful, were there about three years ago and would go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Pulled the trigger on flights to Nice for October mid term, really good value considering the time of year and it's Air Lingus. Staying at yelloh Les Tournels in St Tropez. Having cancelled our summer hols for this & last June we just need something to look forward to, weather might be hit n miss but not really bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Ok! At least something is going right - kid's renewal passport has arrived! Whew.

Lodged online application 1 March.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Has anyone heard when Irish Ferries will have the 2022 sailing calendar open?

Going by 2021, I'm going to guess it won't be soon

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Has anyone heard when Irish Ferries will have the 2022 sailing calendar open?

Going by 2021, I'm going to guess it won't be soon

Could be end of November, or even January.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Who is still hoping to get to France this Summer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

SusanC10 wrote: »

I'm hoping to go, but out of 4 adults (2 families), I'm the only 1.. Indian varient has put a serious dampener on things.. IF balance due at EOM, due to head 1st two weeks of August.. if IF extend balance due date I think we'll hang on but if they don't we'll probably cancel I try again for next yr.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 woodstocklive

SusanC10 wrote:

Still confident of getting there, maybe around mid-july. With most of theEuropean population having the offer of a vaccine by then I'd be hoping Government relax restrictions against non essential travel within EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Still confident of getting there, maybe around mid-july. With most of theEuropean population having the offer of a vaccine by then I'd be hoping Government relax restrictions against non essential travel within EU.

Same, due out July 9th/10th. Due for our first jabs this week so hopefully we (parents) vaccinated but 16 and 20 year olds won't be so testing and (continued) prudent behaviour if we get to go.

It'll need a few things to fall into place so hoping rather than expecting.

If travel permitted (by both Irish and French Govt's) we'll go, if not we won't.

Main problem I'll have if we don't go this year is that we'll end up rolling 2020's campsite and ferry payments over into 2022 but we've kind of decided as a family that this is (or should be) our last year doing family camping holidays as the kids are getting that bit too old for them and myself and my wife want to start scouting places in France, Spain and Portugal over the next few years to buy a place to hopefully retire to in 4-5 years time all going well which the kids (and in time their partners / kids) can come and use for holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Same here, but just noticed on Twitter that Gardai pandemic regs have been pushed out to Nov by the govt.

Yep Newstalk running with it now extended to Nov 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭webpal

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Same here, but just noticed on Twitter that Gardai pandemic regs have been pushed out to Nov by the govt.

Yep Newstalk running with it now extended to Nov 9.

Just a precaution though surely, I think they were to run out in 3 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Heroditas

We were due to go at the end of June but Eurocamps emailed us last week telling us the holiday is cancelled. We'll just roll it over into next year instead of getting our hopes up at the possibility of MAYBE getting away to France at some point this year.
    Bit of a bummer but the kids are alright with it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jeffm587

Due out for first two weeks in August, if they lift MHQ and we align with the EU travel pass by July then we should be ok . Ferry balance due 1st of June thinking of cancelling before then and make a new booking for same dates a little closer to the time. But I keep an eye on those dates on the IF website and notice cabins are starting to sell again for those crossings . May be a little bit of holding the nerve required.

I think it is looking less and less likely. I've been eyeing up a camping holiday in Spain or Italy instead.

Why? I think they weathered the political storm to put France on their MHQ list and I feel it quite likely that they might just leave it there.

On the other hand, it will harder and harder to justify an all out ban on non essential travel as more and more people are vaccinated.

Anyone else thinking about alternatives?

webpal wrote: »
    Just a precaution though surely, I think they were to run out in 3 weeks?

That's apparently just the overall umbrella legislation allowing them to bring in the regulations and amend them as needed. Not a renewal of the current regulations until November.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Fairly confident that we'll make it. Not due to travel til 28th August by which time we'll both be fully vaccinated. Have decided that even if we have to push it back to September or October we'll travel then!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭necstandards

We were due to pay remaining ferry balance two weeks ago, so pushed the sailing to mid August hoping things will be more clear.
    However the accommodation will probably be a lot more expensive so at the back of my head we wont be going. My wife is eager to fly instead of the ferry (next year) so we might end up cancelling (loosing €300).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

We had been due to get the Ferry late June. Only deposit paid. Also deposit paid with Eurocamp (since 2019 for 2020!). One of our Campsites not available so we moved the Accommodation to 2022. Cancelled the Ferry.

Friends in same position. They are now thinking of trying to go in August but haven't booked anything yet. We are all tied to school holidays.

I would love to get to go in August but Husband thinks that we should forget about trying to go abroad in 2021 and focus on 2022. He is also suggesting that we don't go to France but fly to somewhere on the Mediterranean for 2022.

Advertisement