Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Central France is home, but I'm currently parked up a few km from the German border so not much use to you! ;)

Anyone worried about a potential road-block on the A20 - don't! Come off a junction or two early and cruise down the old N20 (now renamed D920 or variations on the theme) to see a bit of real France. Better still, cancel your trips to the boring tourist-infested coastal resorts and hang out with us in the undiscovered midlands! :D
    I'll be driving from Saumur to Sarlat in one day, any tips please Celtic Rambler? Coming from Roscoff the day before so will visit Saumur and its Chateau that day
    :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

juneg wrote: »
    I'll be driving from Saumur to Sarlat in one day, any tips please Celtic Rambler? Coming from Roscoff the day before so will visit Saumur and its Chateau that day
    Both are lovely towns. The tank museum in Saumur is interesting.
    Before leaving Saumur, buy a few bottled of Ladubay sparkling red.

I've driven from Chambord (east of Saumur) so went a different route but my advice is to plan your stops in advance. It's a longish trip with kids in the back.

I presume you're going the A20 to Souillac. I found the drive from Souillac to the camp sites (once in Groléjac and another time near Montfort) the hardest bit. By the time I got there I was tired and got stuck behind feckin caravans

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Hi all just an update on the fuel situ, drove from roscoff to argeles sur mer 1000kms yesterday and getting fuel was no problem . No queues , just as normal. Price seems to have been jacked up thou 1.30 for diesel 1.43 unleaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Can live with the price rise, will only fill the car up once over there. Will fill it up in Rosslare beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Hi all just an update on the fuel situ, drove from roscoff to argeles sur mer 1000kms yesterday and getting fuel was no problem . No queues , just as normal. Price seems to have been jacked up thou 1.30 for diesel 1.43 unleaded.

Much appreciated for the update. I'm not travelling for a weeks yet so hopefully it'll be fully resolved by then.

Enjoy your holiday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Thanks for the update - appreciate it ! Hope you have a great holiday :)

Just a quick question on Internet Connection while staying in a Campsite in France. Both of the Campsites we are staying in require payment for Wifi and reviews have stated that the Wifi is patchy at best. Also the AirBnB has none at all.

Now we don't want/need much on the Internet front - just want to be able to check email every couple of days or look up the odd thing online. Our kids are not old enough to have phones etc.

What is the best option for us ? We will be in France for 3 weeks.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭webpal

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Just a quick question on Internet Connection while staying in a Campsite in France. Both of the Campsites we are staying in require payment for Wifi and reviews have stated that the Wifi is patchy at best. Also the AirBnB has none at all.

Now we don't want/need much on the Internet front - just want to be able to check email every couple of days or look up the odd thing online. Our kids are not old enough to have phones etc.

Thanks in advance.

You could head to your local McDonalds for a coffee and use their wifi. Some other cafes, supermarkets might have free wifi too. Do you have a roaming option? Mine isnt that dear and for the sake of checking a few mails, you wont go over your daily limit.

Some of the camp sites that I've stayed in have timed free WiFi at the bar.
    Order a beer and get the work done.

Thanks in advance.

Any camp I've been to had an area with free wifi (usually the bar / restaurant) and you get a code for an hours access.

• Advertisement

Yeah, the same for me, the bar always had it for free.

We usually just pay for it for two weeks, always seems to be good in les charmettes

Thanks for all the replies. Will check and see if there is a Free Wifi Area on the site when we get there. The reviews refer to the pay-per-day service which was not worth it as the connectivity was not good.

France in my experience is not great for internet access compared to here.
    Most restaurants or cafes don't have it or charge high prices for somewhat iffy quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 colin_shocks

Apologies if this has been asked already but does anyone know of any campsites near Lille that might have a spot available for a van? If anyone has booked one lately and could let me know the name I'd appreciate it! Left it very late unfortunately! We got the camp sites for Paris and Bordeaux booked pretty early but dropped the ball a bit on Lille! Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Hero777

Hi All,

Just wondering which travel insurance broker everyone is using? The options are endless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

Jumping on board this thread .. i'm looking at going back to France next summer, we have usually gone down to the Charente-Maritime region (La Charmette and small gites)

Next year (2017) I am looking to go down to the south, around Cannes. Has anyone any recommendations for Campsite, Family Gites etc .. we will have a 5 and 8 year old with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Hero777 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just wondering which travel insurance broker everyone is using? The options are endless.

multitrip.com but I've never had to claim so I can't vouch for that side of things.

Hi All,

getcover.ie

Never made a claim though

Hi All,

have an option of travel insurance as part of my Health Insurance so I use that (glo health).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

have an option of travel insurance as part of my Health Insurance so I use that (glo health).

Defo best option go with your health insurance provider of you have one. I get mine for around 100 for the year 2 adults and 2 kids

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Advertisement

Agree - we went with VHI.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

juneg wrote: »
    Sorry for the delay - have been in Ireland for a long weekend! :cool:

Depends on whether you want to tour or just drive. For the scenic route, I'd go Saumur - Chinon - Richlieu - Chatellerault - Le Blanc - Argenton-sur-Creuse (stop there for a bit); then A20 all the way to Souillac. You'll pay a toll on the bit of the A20 between Brive and Souillac, but it's probably worth it as the side roads can be quite slow and congested.

If you prefer to take the "straight" route, then you'll pass by/through/around Poitiers. I've never found that to be an enjoyable experience :mad: although it very much depends on the time of day (and the day of the week).
    Now we don't want/need much on the Internet front - just want to be able to check email every couple of days or look up the odd thing online.
    McDonalds!

Many smaller towns (what would be considered villages in Ireland ;)) have free wifi hotspots. Not all of them fully understand how the internet works, however. I tried using one (in a self-proclaimed international tourist destination) last year. To access the service, you had to click the link in the e-mail they sent ... which I couldn't check because I needed internet access to check my e-mails :rolleyes:

Be aware, also, that there is a company in France that provides broadband and mobile services that's called "Free" but it isn't free and you can't use that network even if it shows up on your list of available connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Defo best option go with your health insurance provider of you have one. I get mine for around 100 for the year 2 adults and 2 kids

half that price with multitrip.com, obviously you'd have to check the relative cover levels are appropriate for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 911is50

Hi, we've been traveling to France by Car for over 10 years staying in mobile homes throughout that period. This year, as the kids are growing up, we decided to buy a camper and be a bit more adventurous. We've a month to kill and are thinking of a week on the west coast of France, on to a costal location near Barcelona for a week & then over to somewhere along the French Rivera. Time allowing we may slip into Italy for a few days. My question is do we need to book campsites now and if so do you have any personal recommendations? Ideally on the coast with facilities, ie shop, restaurant & pools. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Quick question for those that have traveled on the Stena Horizon with a camper/caravan.
    We just booked to bring the caravan with Stena Horizon, we've traveled on it before but not with the caravan as I'd prefer the Oscar Wilde..

Do caravans have to reverse onto the ferry or turn around when your on the deck ??

Neither is a big probelm but it would benice to know in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

... and if things weren't bad enough, now the centre of France is flooded. If you're heading this way in the next few days, be advised that parts of the A10 and A71 motorways and main Paris-Toulouse railway line are closed and/or restricted in the Loiret département (i.e. around Orléans) Advice is not to attempt to access Orléans for the rest of this week). Many other towns in the centre are also under water.
    See http://www.bison-fute.gouv.fr for road info,
    see http://www.lanouvellerepublique.fr for general flooding info (central France)
    see http://www.sncf.com/fr/horaires-info-trafic for rail disruption (... except SNCF is on strike so the info is not updated :rolleyes: )

Paris is also on flood alert, but who'd want to go there ... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭finbarrk

But we have to go there for the Sweden match.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Conor03

Hi, we are looking to do a key camp in France 2017 most likely at the end of July for 10 days and would like some advice. We will be travelling as a family with small kids, 11, 4, 1.
    Can anyone who has travelled before please share some advice. We are looking to get the ferry over and drive the rest of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Conor03 wrote: »
    Hi, we are looking to do a key camp in France 2017 most likely at the end of July for 10 days and would like some advice. We will be travelling as a family with small kids, 11, 4, 1.
    Can anyone who has travelled before please share some advice. We are looking to get the ferry over and drive the rest of the way.

This might seem a daunting holiday first time out but it really is easy, relaxed and enjoyable..

France offers so many areas to travel to it takes years to see it all, we're going this year in August and have been for the last 13 years.

Depending on when your going where you might want to go, with kids those ages I'm presuming you will go during school holidays. Down south in July/August can get very hot for such a young baby.

Brittany is like going to Cork on a really good summer, warm and you might catch the odd shower but it recovers quickly.

Vendee region is a good compromise, fine dry weather without mad heat.

Our favorite campsites (so far).

Fouesnant Atlantique - Direct access to super cycle paths and beach.

Sequoia Park - Close to great beaches and probably the nicest campsite weve been on.

La Garrangoire - Awsome inland park with lots of free or low cost stuff like kayaks etc.

Le Littoral - Very near great beaches, near (but not in) touristy towns, direct access to great cycle paths my personal No.1 site so far..

We're heading to Normandy this August, never stayed there before, weather won't be as good but interesting to get about.

We have tried all ferries over different years and found Irish Ferries Oscar Wilde is probably the best, we're giving Stenna's Horizon another try this year, its considerably cheaper but last time we used it we had a poor crossing and, well we're trying it gain..
    Look on the ferry as nights of your holiday, bring small games, movies etc that you can all enjoy, get up on deck, its nice. We bought screens dvd player for the car for the kids for chrstmas few years ago, they only get out for holidays but are enjoyed on long car journey, longest weve done is 7 hours. to Bordaux

Bring bikes if you can, hire can add up quickly.

When you find a campsite you like don't be afraid to book directly, they re well used to this and you can save a bit too. Only thing I would say is booking through the camping companies you will "usually" get a cookerwith an oven, where booking directly you wont !!, mightn't be a big deal but we always use the oven. We only eat out maybe 2 nights out of the 2 weeks

Check pool shorts rules, majority only allow budgie smuggler tight swim trunks even though they sell beach shorts in the campsite shop, often hear people complaining about it.. its their pool, their rules, but in generl Irish people aren't built well for them..:o

We bring salt/pepper/spices/few washing tablets for clothes/ saves buying whole box there as you'll only wash a few times, but washing saves bringing tonnes of clothes, you can throw in a wash and go for a walk in the evening and they're done.

Kellair were the only company we found provided specific room for cots in bedroom, might be a thing to ask about, we found they had good linen packs etc..

We traveled with companies on/off over the years depending on which them or booking direct provided best value. We have our own caravan now so just book pitches.

Driving is a doddle, good sat-nav and a good map and you can't go wrong, their road network, general driving ability and signage is better then ours, tolls can be high but honestly the time saved is worth it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Does anyone know of any camps which it's feasible to stay at without driving?

As in fly to France, then bus / train / taxi (or some combination) to the camp, and everything you'd want is within either walking or local bus/taxi distance?

Advertisement