Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Weve booked Castell Montgri for 8th August - only thing that has us worried is that the kids(12 and 13) need a pcr test coming back into Ireland - what if one of them gets a positive test?

We`ve been wracking our brains all day and decided that we`re going to travel and bring a load of antigen tests with us and test them every few days and if one of them tests positive it will give us time to make different arrangements ie fly to the UK (NI) or somewhere pcrs might not be needed in August.

Its a bit of a pain but will be worth it to get out of here fpr a few weeks.

Test positive and you are stuck there for another 2 weeks.

If you get on a plane with a positive test, its real bad form

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Peckham

We'll also be bringing a few antigen tests in order to give us time to make a plan B.

But the plan B would be to book an AirBNB somewhere for whoever has to stay behind.

Travelling this year will involve this risk, but it's probably a pretty low risk

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Weve booked Castell Montgri for 8th August - only thing that has us worried is that the kids(12 and 13) need a pcr test coming back into Ireland - what if one of them gets a positive test?

We`ve been wracking our brains all day and decided that we`re going to travel and bring a load of antigen tests with us and test them every few days and if one of them tests positive it will give us time to make different arrangements ie fly to the UK (NI) or somewhere pcrs might not be needed in August.

So you'd put other people at risk just so your children don't have to isolate. Maybe I'm taking this up the wrong way but this is a disgraceful attitude. Great parenting showing your children its ok to put other people in harms way.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Peckham wrote: »
    We'll also be bringing a few antigen tests in order to give us time to make a plan B.

But the plan B would be to book an AirBNB somewhere for whoever has to stay behind.

Travelling this year will involve this risk, but it's probably a pretty low risk
    Sensible and non selfish option

Our campsite encouraged us to take out Covid insurance when we booked a few months ago.

Just took a look at the policy and not only does it cover us if we can't travel due to restrictions in Ireland, but it also appears to cover us for an additional 14 days in France if we can't travel home due to a positive test.

https://www.campez-couvert.com/en/

Edit: Website looks out of date, but the material they emailed me seems comprehensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Were in the exact same situation and same time of year... Waiting to hear what precautions are happening on sites in France also.. mask, set times for pool access??? But the PCR test and isolation for kids once returned are a concern..

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭pmpa

I actually cannot believe what I have just read. It just goes to show, how people can be so selfish and put other people at risk. If a person tests positive YOU HAVE TO SELF ISOLATE not jump on a plane and infect other people. I thought this was common knowledge at this stage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,882 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

After postponing my hols again this year, I'm equally jealous of those that are going and happy I postponed, reading what some are willing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

This is the second thread I have seen you have posted this. I'm all for foreign travel and always was but this is bang out of order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭yiddo59

I appreciate that it wont be much benefit to those not fully vaccinated or those traveling with children but good news for some! Fully vaccinated EU citizens can travel freely to and from France from 9th June.

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20210604-green-orange-or-red-france-eases-summer-travel-rules

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

yiddo59 wrote: »
    I appreciate that it wont be much benefit to those vaccinated or traveling with children but good news for some! Fully vaccinated EU citizens can travel freely to and from France from 9th June.

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20210604-green-orange-or-red-france-eases-summer-travel-rules

I wonder will this also apply to EU citizens transiting (landbridging) through the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭yiddo59

josip wrote: »
    I wonder will this also apply to EU citizens transiting (landbridging) through the UK.

Good question but I'm afraid I dont know the answer.

yiddo59 wrote: »
    I appreciate that it wont be much benefit to those not fully vaccinated or those traveling with children but good news for some! Fully vaccinated EU citizens can travel freely to and from France from 9th June.

But doesn't the travel ban remain in existence here until mid July? France may accept us, but Ireland won't let us leave (and fine us €2k if we try to leave).

Peckham wrote: »
    But doesn't the travel ban remain in existence here until mid July? France may accept us, but Ireland won't let us leave (and fine us €2k if we try to leave).

To be precise, Ireland will charge you €2k if you do leave.
    The gardai over on the travel thread are at pains to point out that they can't physically prevent you from leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭freida

https://twitter.com/EU_Commission/status/1399670116640493571?s=20

The digital cert went live a month early and plenty of countries already signed up. No reason ireland can't implement it early and nothing to stop people tweeting the eu about the fine.
    With the additional pcr costs its a shame families can't avail of the cheaper travel and accommodation costs in late june

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭McSween

Still planning on doing wine trip on 3rd september, returning 4th.

The booking is 510 at the moment and the equivalent was 386 for september 2019. Would you hold off on them dropping this price or should i book it? I appreciate they will want to make money back from the pandemic but it is a jump

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

josip wrote: »
    To be precise, Ireland will charge you €2k if you do leave.
    The gardai over on the travel thread are at pains to point out that they can't physically prevent you from leaving.

Does anyone know of anyone actually being issued with this fine for catching the ferry or is it a bit like the old blasphemy law that used to exist, it was on the books but no one was ever convicted for breaching it?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

I think the gardai are there 54, check out the travel threads. There’s a Garda posting I think he’s bubblypop?

ellee wrote: »
    I think the gardai are there 54, check out the travel threads. There’s a Garda posting I think he’s bubblypop?

...popette :)
    Niner Leprachaun is the Garda on there who's at the airport coalface asking questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Just paid the balance on our July ferry!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

McSween wrote: »
    Still planning on doing wine trip on 3rd september, returning 4th.

The booking is 510 at the moment and the equivalent was 386 for september 2019. Would you hold off on them dropping this price or should i book it? I appreciate they will want to make money back from th. you may not have much time e pandemic but it is a jump

Are you sailing out Cherbourg on 3, arriving 4 and returning on 4 September ? If so, be cautious. Disembarkation might be very slow with the various checks etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

We're due to go to France mid July so trying to figure out what the situation is regarding entry into France.

I checked out French Govt info on https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/coming-to-france/coronavirus-advice-for-foreign-nationals-in-france/coronavirus-statements/article/reopening-france-s-borders-from-9-june-4-jun-2021 and https://ie.ambafrance.org/covid19-eng and the following seems to be the situation with effect from tomorrow:-

qG0kEL2.jpg

TdRC37T.jpg

So in summary all those travelling prior to the July 19th introduction of the EU Digital Covid Cert are required to have a negative Covid PCR test within 72 hours of departure regardless of whether you've been vaccinated or not and once permitted to enter France you don't have to self isolate.

Similarly if you are arriving back into Ireland prior to July 19th the advice on https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/a-z-list-of-countries/france/ is that you have to get negative Covid PCR tests for all travellers within 72 hours of departure regardless of whether you've been fully vaccinated or not and on arrival back you have to self isolate for 14 days.

Is that others reading of the situation also?

BTW I'm not interested in provoking a Covid right/wrong discussion here or debate about the rights and wrongs of potentially being fined €2,000 for leaving the country for non essential reasons. Each person can make up their own minds on those issues.

This is the France Ferry discussion thread so I'm just trying to understand and share what the actual rules are in relation to travelling to France this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 fleck

https://www.gouvernement.fr/sites/default/files/locale/piece-jointe/2021/06/dp_ouverture_frontieres_anglais_ok.pdf

My reading of Page 3 of the doc linked is that if you are travelling from a green country (i.e. Ireland) and you are fully vaccinated then you do not need any tests , you can travel for any reason and you do not need to quarantine.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

freida wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/EU_Commission/status/1399670116640493571?s=20

The digital cert went live a month early and plenty of countries already signed up. No reason ireland can't implement it early and nothing to stop people tweeting the eu about the fine.
    With the additional pcr costs its a shame families can't avail of the cheaper travel and accommodation costs in late june

We are being lead kicking and screaming into the digital cert. I have no doubt that without it we would still have ridiculous quarantine rules and fines in place until at least October.

Not a chance in hell we adopt it early i'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭necstandards

54and56 wrote: »

Similarly if you are arriving back into Ireland prior to July 19th the advice on https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/a-z-list-of-countries/france/ is that you have to get negative Covid PCR tests for all travellers within 72 hours of departure regardless of whether you've been fully vaccinated or not and on arrival back you have to self isolate for 14 days.

So what happens if you are fully vaccinated and returning after July 19? And what about the kids' (under 10's for example), will they need a -ve PCR test? will 14 day quarantine be also required. Does anyone know, when we'll know ??:D

The short answer is no-one knows. Although in all likelihood it looks like it will be more straightforward to enter France than it will be to return to Ireland - certainly for families.

We've three kids - aged 4, 7 and 10. Both parents will be fully vaccinated by the time we go in early August.

I'm working on assumption that we won't need to do anything to travel to France (they allow in kids under 11 with no requirement for testing). However, we'll need negative PCR tests for the two older kids to return to Ireland (Ireland currently requires negative tests for all children aged 7 or older).

However, above could all change.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭freida

I saw a report that france was going to pat for pcr tests for tourists. But it will be the kids that need it coming home

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thelocal.fr/20210517/france-to-offer-free-pcr-tests-to-tourists-and-visitors-this-summer/%3famp

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Newonhere

I finally bit the bullet and booked the ferry today for 25th August returning on 19th October so the Digital green certificate should be well bedded in by then (hopefully). I don’t normally book campsites (I travel with a caravan and use an ACSI card) but things feel so different right now, I’ve no idea wether the campsites will be quieter than normal or busier than normal because of pent up demand after so long in lockdowns so I’ve also booked my main campsite in Sommieres for a month and my first campsite in the Loire valley for the first 10 nights. Here’s hoping that it all works out, if disaster does strike then I’ve got flexi tickets for the ferry and my campsite bookings are covered by cancellation insurance. I must say that I feel considerably better having things sorted….

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Newonhere wrote: »
    I finally bit the bullet and booked the ferry today for 25th August returning on 19th October so the Digital green certificate should be well bedded in by then (hopefully). I don’t normally book campsites (I travel with a caravan and use an ACSI card) but things feel so different right now, I’ve no idea wether the campsites will be quieter than normal or busier than normal because of pent up demand after so long in lockdowns so I’ve also booked my main campsite in Sommieres for a month and my first campsite in the Loire valley for the first 10 nights. Here’s hoping that it all works out, if disaster does strike then I’ve got flexi tickets for the ferry and my campsite bookings are covered by cancellation insurance. I must say that I feel considerably better having things sorted….

Digital green cert will be ready to go at the end of the month or so iv'e heard but they won't allow it for us until 19th July so you will most definitely be okay to travel freely in August. Enjoy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Olivia Pope

Hi All,

I have only read a few pages of this thread, I hope to read a lot more in the coming days and weeks.

We are a family of four and are hoping to go to a campsite next summer (2022). We haven't gone abroad with our two boys yet. They will have just turned 6 in July 2022. I have only been looking into this type of hoilday for the last few days, so I know very little really. My initial thoughts are that we would get the Cork Roscoff ferry and drive down to somewhere between St. Jean de Monts and Royan/La Rochelle area. We would stay in the one campsite for 12 nights.

I suppose I am looking for advice from people who have gone with a family similar to mine. We would like to be as near as possible to a beach with nice sand. We would like food options at night (such as walking to a nearby village or town). My gut instinct is that I don't want to be in a huge site, but I suppose smaller sites will have less options to eat at night.

We would be happy to cook maybe every second night, is this realistic or will we just bbq every night.

Another thing that is on my mind is Air/con. Is it neccessary. I went to France many times as child and we never had air con and I don't remember it being an issue. I like air con when I am in the South of Spain, but i am just not sure if it's needed in France in that area. There seems to be a limited suppy of air con mobile homes.

height restrictions for slides, will this be an issue. My boys are 108 and 112cm at the moment. I have seen 120cm mentioned on alot of camping sites, in the last few days. So maybe we need to go to a site with normal slides. There isn't much point going somewhere with amazing slides that my children could not use.

Finally if we go in the first half of July, can we expect temperatures in the mid 20s in the area I have mentioned. I don't want it too hot.

Anyway thanks for reading and maybe someone can recommend some options. I hope I have followed the guidelines for posting here.

Advertisement