Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Thanks, have all the French paperwork sorted, plus the Spanish, travelling to Bilbao, was forgetting about the Irish end!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Anyone know when the 2022 sailing timetable for IF usually goes live? I know it was late this year, but I noticed BF are taking bookings for 2022 already

Would like to start getting dates sorted for next years holiday, first foreign holiday in 3 years!

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

IF reckon it will be end of Sept / Oct this year when they open 2022 bookings. Keep an eye out on here and on IF website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭yiddo59

When you say Locator form for France I assume you mean the sworn statement form?

I thought that to enter France you need proof or vaccine and a completed sworn statement and on return to Ireland proof of vaccine and receipt for your completed locator form. This is my understanding of the information on Brittany Ferries website https://www.brittany-ferries.ie/information/coronavirus/covid-19-faqs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

Has anyone landbridged back from France via the UK and if so what did you put on the PLF for your travel intentions?

We're travelling via Eurotunnel early morning and leaving from Holyhead that evening so won't be overnighting in the UK.

Everyone has negative PCRs and adults are fully vaccinated.

We've completed the UK PLF forms, but had to chose "transitting airside" from the 3 options for our intentions. The other 2 options were staying in the UK which would mean we had to book a Day 2 Covid test, or entering multiple times in 48 hours, like a haulier. Both of which were even less of a match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

I'd say the correct option to choose is "staying in the UK" even though it's for less than a day as you're definitely not transiting airside (so limiting your time in the UK to staying contained airside in an airport) and you're not entering multiple times in 48 hours.

It's not ideal but you might be better off to book the 2 day covid test to ensure you're not held up / delayed in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Great, thanks for that! Hoping to get my first Eurocamp experience in France next year 😀

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭rofno1

Just to round this out, IF came back to me yesterday with the following:

"Apologies for the delay in replying, we are dealing with an exceptionally large volume of emails at the moment.

I would recommend booking a family 4 bed window cabin, as this is the most spacious cabin we have on the WB Yeats and can accommodate 5 people.

I am afraid we do not have inter-connected cabins."

So looks like we just might have to squeeze into one cabin!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Peckham

We're in a similar situation with three kids and have booked two cabins on our last few trips. Cabins have always been near each other and often next door to each other which was the case on our journey last weekend.

They used to give you your cabin numbers when making the reservation, but now they're assigned at check-in.

Cabins on WB Yeats are very comfortable. We always book the cabins with no window. Cheaper and gives you darkness in the morning to keep the kids asleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭McSween

Is it best to get a cabin in deck 10, 9 or 8? Are the higher ones superior or anything? They are offering me a choice. I am travelling with my father

• Advertisement

Top decks are almost always located near bars, reception and cafeteria etc. Bottom decks 4, 5, 6 etc are almost always located near the car decks.

My only preference for either top or bottom is that the cabin is not located near lift or stairwell openings as that is where the most pedestrian traffic will be and also the most idle and useless noise and chatter.

Experience gained from working years at sea!!!

Thanks very much for your reply. I think I will stick with 8 or 9 and forget about 10 as I think there are a lot of bars around that deck

maybe I will look up my last cabin from 2019 and request it around there. From hotel experience ,and like you say, best stay away from lifts etc. I asked could i book a cabin and that is why they are offering any deck. I suppose if they offered a more spacious cabin it would be great but peace is number one priority

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Tooler

I'm thinking of booking campsites in France for July 2022. I've got a voucher for Sandaya, so will book both with them, probably Côte de Nacre in Normandy and Château des Marais in Loire. I'd like to get it booked up soon as I expect there will be a lot of demand for summer 2022.

We'd prefer to take the WB Yeats from Dublin to Cherbourg. However, it looks like Irish Ferries won't release the 2022 schedule for another month or two (based on a few comments I've seen on this forum). I was thinking of guessing that I could get to France on a Saturday and then leave on a Saturday. But looking at the 2021 schedule, it seems that the WB Yeats sails from Dublin every second day, so one week it'll leave on a Friday, but the next week it'll leave on a Thursday and Saturday, meaning I couldn't be sure of getting there on a Saturday and being able to leave on a Saturday. Is there any way to predict which weeks in July 2022 the WB Yeats will sail on a Friday? I guess the answer is no - just wait for the schedule.

To complicate things further, I notice that currently Irish Ferries are sailing Dublin to Cherbourg three days in a row, typically Thursday, Friday and Saturday. How are they doing this? Do they have another boat on the route?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Did anyone get Travel Insurance with decent Covid cover this year ?

Was looking at Multitrip.com but open to other suggestions

I'd multitrip last year through one of the online usual suspects with alleged covid cover.

When my trip however was cancelled they quoted some well hidden t&c which negated their responsibility.

It was only for my own perseverance and the intervention of my travel agent that I got all monies refunded, although it did take a while.

I think I'd take anything with a pinch of salt any covid cover which is offered by a insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

The answer is no. I assumed it would be Saturday sailings and they moved by a day. Luckily the campsites were very reasonable and they could accommodate me.

If I had to pick one, I would go with the current arrangement, sail from Dublin on Friday, Sunday, Tuesday etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Newonhere

I have annual Multitrip with VHI they are very up front about the COVID cover they provide.

All medical expenses in relation to COVID are fully covered but there is no other COVID cover provided, this suits me as I travel with a caravan and I don’t book anything other than ferries which are booked on flexi tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭MizMix

We booked flights today- return to bordeaux 24th June. For four of us with 40kg checkin bags it was only 530 euro. We're hoping to get away twice next summer- not many seem to look at fly/drive options but it can be much better value and no days spent travelling (I know lots enjoy this and I did it as a kid). I was playing around with dates and if we went on 22nd we could have gotten them for around 480. The campsite we're looking at is approx a 50 min drive from the airport. Essier to justify a second holiday later in the summer.

I am heading on Friday for a wine trip. Is purchasing a fast disembark worth it for arrival in France?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 aileenhealy

I wasn’t aware that a Passenger Locator form was required for entry into France. I thought all that was needed was the vaccine cert and the sworn declaration. Then a Locator form was needed for the return trip to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Can anyone give there experiences on bring there pet on the ferry, Im aware on IF they have to go to kennels and on Brittany ferries there are dog friendly rooms. Any info would be appreciated.

Stena from Rosslare have outside kennels, 8 I think.

You can see a vid of them here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bZdqnCMNNw&t=567s

They've been done up recently, some of the vids are of the old kennels.

You have to book in advance and since there are only 8 they book up quickly.

Most of the dogs start howling and whining whenever anyone opens the outer door for a visit, so it seems like they're always unhappy, but they settle down very quickly as soon as you leave. The good thing about Stena from Rosslare is that you can visit whenever you want and walk your dog on the deck.

The bad thing about that is that some owners let their dog scutter all over the deck and there's no point telling the crew, it's a case of not my job and won't be cleaned until the deck gets hosed down in port.

Even though we didn't have a bad experience with Stena on the way out we landbridged back via Tunnel and Holyhead and found it easier. There's a separate pet check-in building in Calais. The dog is a great traveller and doesn't get car sick. He stayed in the car from Holyhead to Dublin. We had to pay €300 in tests (advance and Day 2) for the transit in that direction however, so all told it probably worked out more expensive than getting the ferry back.

If anyone wants a vet on the outskirts of Strasbourg who will worm up at short notice for €40 I can PM you a recommendation. It was easier to book our PCRs than to get the dog wormed. Seriously stressful trying to organise both the day before travel.

Post edited by josip on

Probably worth it if you're very tight for time. You can be lucky without it and get loaded towards the front and be off in no time at all. Equally you can be waiting for ages and then stuck in a long immigration queue. Luck of the draw.

By buying it you're guaranteed to be off in a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭10-10-20

You're doing the one-day turnaround? Is that an expected arrival of 10:45 and departure at 16:30, ie 5h45 on land?

Did you make pre-arrangements with the wine shops or are you just going to hit the superstores?

This probably needs a thread of it's own. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 21 aileenhealy

Hi

Would you have the link for the locator form for France. I have my vaccine cert and also the sworn statement form printed ready to be completed but can’t seem to be able fine the locator form.

Thanks

Yes. We did it it two years ago without the fast pass to disembark. We know where we are going anyway. But if there is time to be saved I might buy the pass.

we even had time for e.leclerc supermarket last time but i am taking nothing for granted and the wine and beer supermarket will suffice.

How much wine would you be buying to make the trip worthwhile? Ferry isn't cheap and obviously the trip takes quite a while!

Any customs issues? When arriving in Dublin two weeks ago we were asked how much wine and cigarettes we had. First time we had ever been asked this.

About 150/160 bottles each. It is worth it. This is our 7 trip i think. You are still getting away for a few nights and it is good fun

There is no locator form needed for France. There are two requirements:

1 the sworn declaration for all and sundry.

2 the vaccine digital cert on either the Irish or French covid app- Tous Anti Covid- available from the Google play store or by paper.

The locator form is required from the Irish side on the way back home.

I don't know what the requirements are if you are not vaccinated.

Enjoy your holidays.

• Advertisement

"About 150/160 bottles each"

Yabba dabba dubbery dooooo ! Happy days.

We only had enough room for 50 bottles from an Auchan last week, but that should see us through the winter until next summer. Any more and we'd have had to leave the dog behind.

Advertisement