Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Baybay

I don't think fuel shortage was overhyped. Many stations, particularly near bigger towns & cities closed as they had no supply. Motorway services, particularly in the north were badly hit. But it was short lived, and in fact may well have been finishing on your arrival, as blockades were broken to keep the country moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

christy02 wrote: »
    Prices same as normal. 1.15 in supermarkets and 1.35ish on motorway services. Diesel. Petrol similar.

All overhyped. Guy that owned gite we stayed in knew little about it.

Not overhyped at all. You "guy" must either be foreign or one of those relatively common Frenchmen that lives in complete isolation!

The fact that you quote prices that are 5-15ct a litre more than normal show that you were affected, whether you (or your gîte owner) knew it or not.

All the refineries are back in production as of this weekend, with deliveries expected to be back to normal by the end of the week. Prices have already started to fall. I filled up with diesel for 1.115 on Saturday and could have got 1.109 if I'd been going in a different direction.

Of less relevance to the self-driving contributors to this forum, but there is still an open-ended rail strike going on, and Air France pilots are on strike too. Plus yet another day of protest (= blocking roads, unannounced closures of various services and an excuse to cause havoc in town centres) on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Ok - just over a week until our first family trip to France on the Ferry (Irish Ferries) and our first stay with Eurocamp. Husband and I and 2 kids aged 10 & 7. Any last minute tips ?

We have driven on the Continent before (though not in our own car) and we have been in France several times (just not on the Ferry and have not done the Eurocamp thing)

Nervous / Excited now :) So all tips welcome !

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭insullation

weather is still very poor in most of France so do a bit of research before you go into things would could do in the region if you get a couple of wet days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

weather is still very poor in most of France so do a bit of research before you go into things would could do in the region if you get a couple of wet days
    Now that sort of talk about poor weather is strictly forbidden in this discussion :)

• Advertisement

meteofrance.com will let you zone in on your target area (right down to the commune, if you need it!) for weather info. Forecasts are pretty reliable up to three days.

bison-fute.gouv.fr will give you real-time road info.

Other than that, just go with the flow ...

Completely un-related to travel, but if you're travelling with anyone who likes shopping and thinks they've got an eye for a bargain, beware of French "special offers". Do not believe the price bubbles offering (e.g.) 5€ off - there'll probably be some well hidden small print saying "when you buy seven items or more" ; and multipacks of just about anything are almost invariably more expensive than buying the same thing individually. The French aren't great at maths.

Oh, and still on the subject of numbers: when a roadside notice tells you that such-and-such a place (e.g. McDonalds) will be found "5min" from where you are, multiply that by a random number of your choice! You're better off using a sat-nav to find McD's, supermarkets, petrol stations, etc. as (like the aircraft emergency exits) the nearest one may be behind you, but there'll be a sign suggesting the one in front is only 500m away. That's just the next turn!

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭oinkely

In Brittany at the moment. Fuel no problem. No strikes so far that we have seen. Been to Dinard, Quiberon and currently somewhere in the middle of Brittany.

Did have a minor panic on the stena horizon, no cash machine on board, none in the port, and no working credit card machine in the restaurant! Had a chat to some official looking chap and he agreed that we could eat in the restaurant and then pay by card at the reception.

Its a tiny boat, not looking forward to the trip home next week, at least on the way over its nearly all spent in bed! And it was jammers on the way over, couldn't find a seat in the bar, so spent most of the time in the cabin. Couldn't even contemplate it without a cabin.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

oinkely wrote:
    Did have a minor panic on the stena horizon, no cash machine on board, none in the port, and no working credit card machine in the restaurant! Had a chat to some official looking chap and he agreed that we could eat in the restaurant and then pay by card at the reception.

oinkely wrote:
    Its a tiny boat, not looking forward to the trip home next week, at least on the way over its nearly all spent in bed! And it was jammers on the way over, couldn't find a seat in the bar, so spent most of the time in the cabin. Couldn't even contemplate it without a cabin.

We just home from 2 weeks in France. Went on stena horizon as well and was half empty both ways. Difference 2 weeks makes. We went on it last year 2 and like it. Found it less manic than Pont aven that we used previously.

We went Thursday to Sunday to give an extra couple of days but boat leaves at 8.30 on Thursday (pm) and arrives at 4pm so a lot of time to kill. Was dreading it but not as bad as I thought.

If it was that busy though it would be different. Nice and quiet means you can do as you please. Good luck on return trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

We just home from 2 weeks in France. Went on stena horizon as well and was half empty both ways. Difference 2 weeks makes. We went on it last year 2 and like it. Found it less manic than Pont aven that we used previously.

We went Thursday to Sunday to give an extra couple of days but boat leaves at 8.30 on Thursday (pm) and arrives at 4pm so a lot of time to kill. Was dreading it but not as bad as I thought.

If it was that busy though it would be different. Nice and quiet means you can do as you please. Good luck on return trip.

The horizon is pretty slow compare to the oscar wilde so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

The horizon is pretty slow compare to the oscar wilde so.
    nope, its more or less the same. Its just that a late sailing means a late arrival regardless of the ship.
    Both ships can operate faster than they do, but to operate more economicaly they go slower than their max speed.
    The horizon does the journey some days in just 17hours which is quicker than the Irish ferries or other days 19 1/2 which is similar to irish ferries.

Either way, with the kids and for other logistical reasons I find an afternoon departure and morning arrival better than a night departure and late afternoon arrival, regardles off an hour plus or minus dependant on sailing or ferry company.
    Arriving onto the continent in the morning also allows you to get in a day of driving (which for us is a mere 1250km) rather than landing so late that a stopover is inevitable somewhere. Even if you're not going far, arriving at 4 or so still means you aren't installed in your accommodation till the evening so the best part of the day is already over and your letting the kids out to play when really they should be heading to bed .

• Advertisement

nope, its more or less the same. Its just that a late sailing means a late arrival regardless of the ship.
    Both ships can operate faster than they do, but to operate more economicaly they go slower than their max speed.
    The horizon does the journey some days in just 17hours which is quicker than the Irish ferries or other days 19 1/2 which is similar to irish ferries.

Either way, with the kids and for other logistical reasons I find an afternoon departure and morning arrival better than a night departure and late afternoon arrival, regardles off an hour plus or minus dependant on sailing or ferry company.
    Arriving onto the continent in the morning also allows you to get in a day of driving (which for us is a mere 1250km) rather than landing so late that a stopover is inevitable somewhere. Even if you're not going far, arriving at 4 or so still means you aren't installed in your accommodation till the evening so the best part of the day is already over and your letting the kids out to play when really they should be heading to bed .

Yeah the afternoon departure is better for us with kids also, as we need to get to les charmettes the day we arrive, so usually stop off at two mcdonalds on the way, let the kids have a good play there and get to les charmettes about 6.30pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Yeah the afternoon departure is better for us with kids also, as we need to get to les charmettes the day we arrive, so usually stop off at two mcdonalds on the way, let the kids have a good play there and get to les charmettes about 6.30pm.

It's a well trodden path and well proven strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

I'm sailing on the Pont Aven for the first time in a few weeks for the first time. Can anybody tell me how steep the ramp is up to the car deck please?! I really struggled on the Stena Horizon last year with the car full to the brim, thought I wasn't going to make it!, the smell of the burning clutch stayed in the car for the following month I think!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I'm sailing on the Pont Aven for the first time in a few weeks for the first time. Can anybody tell me how steep the ramp is up to the car deck please?! I really struggled on the Stena Horizon last year with the car full to the brim, thought I wasn't going to make it!, the smell of the burning clutch stayed in the car for the following month I think!!

theres plenty hilly spots on the road down to ringaskiddy, I doubt the ramp is any steeper than them and certainly no steeper than your average multi storey car park. and why would you be doing a hillstart on the ramp anyway? just drive on and up. if theres a car stopped on the internal ramp, wait till they're gone and just cruise up in 1st from starting on the flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

theres plenty hilly spots on the road down to ringaskiddy, I doubt the ramp is any steeper than them and certainly no steeper than your average multi storey car park. and why would you be doing a hillstart on the ramp anyway? just drive on and up. if theres a car stopped on the internal ramp, wait till they're gone and just cruise up in 1st from starting on the flat.

I had my (electronic) handbrake fail on the ramp on the Oscar Wilde - not fun. They made us drive onto the ramp and then raised it with the car in situ.

Ha ha on the way over this year we were up on top car deck which is the one you are talking about I imagine. Smell of burning clutches was unreal.

Pont aven is not as steep. No worries.

The reason we go on Thursday and come back Sunday is do we can have the full 2 weeks in the accommodation. A stop half way down in a cheap hotel each way adds to the trip and allows us arrive as early as we like on the Saturday.

Stayed in Le Mans on way down this year. 50 euro for hotel room and was perfect. Took a trip around the 24 hour track on Saturday morning as well. Arrived in our gite early evening Saturday rather than getting there late Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

We are (finally !) sailing on Tues - Rosslare to Cherbourg. First timers !

Question:- We will have a Bike Rack on the back of the car. Do we need to remove the bikes for sailing (after the car has been loaded) ?

This came up last night on a night out with friends where other first-timers have said that they have been told by Irish Ferries that the Bikes have to be removed for the sailing. They are going after us.

Thanks in advance :)

SusanC10 wrote: »
    We are (finally !) sailing on Tues - Rosslare to Cherbourg. First timers !

Question:- We will have a Bike Rack on the back of the car. Do we need to remove the bikes for sailing (after the car has been loaded) ?

This came up last night on a night out with friends where other first-timers have said that they have been told by Irish Ferries that the Bikes have to be removed for the sailing. They are going after us.

Thanks in advance :)

News to me - I've had bikes on the back of the car on the OW, was never asked to take them off, and there's usually loads of other cars the same.

I don't imagine they've changed their policy this year, it would be chaotic and where would you put bikes once they'd been removed? It would also cause major delays when disembarking.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Bikes on back is fine. Its the bikes on top of the car or the giant roof boxes they will have issue with. You wouldn't think it but a fair few people put large items on top of their vehicles.

westgolf wrote: »
    Bikes on back is fine. Its the bikes on top of the car or the giant roof boxes they will have issue with. You wouldn't think it but a fair few people put large items on top of their vehicles.

there's no problem putting stuff on your roof provided you have noted the correct height when booking. They have HGVs and coaches on these ferries, a car with a bike on the roof is hardly going to cause them problems, you'll just be put on the bottom car deck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭aquarius10

Hi all

Travelling this Saturday cork - Roscoff on port aven this time for first time and looking forward to a nice ship compared to Stena which was terribly crowded last year.

Is the pool on the ship worth a visit to kill an hour with kids ?
    Do they provide towels ?

Also any update on the fuel shortages, we're heading to la Garangeoire, the vendee area and just wondering if it's ok

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

aquarius10 wrote: »
    Hi all

Travelling this Saturday cork - Roscoff on port aven this time for first time and looking forward to a nice ship compared to Stena which was terribly crowded last year.

Is the pool on the ship worth a visit to kill an hour with kids ?
    Do they provide towels ?

Also any update on the fuel shortages, we're heading to la Garangeoire, the vendee area and just wondering if it's ok

Thanks in advance

Hi, Just back last saturday from the vendee (la loubine site)

Re the pool : it was out of commission and empty on our trips both ways, small enough too !

Re the fuel situation, I filled in Galway the day we departed and that did me until midweek on week one. No issue with supplies on the route down or in the vendee. one tip is to use the filling station attached to the Super-U and Hyper- U supermarkets as these are cheaper for fuel than the motorway services. if ye are arriving on sunday dont forget that a lot of shops will be closed. Have done the vendee for the last two years and stopped in Rennes for breaks both times, kinda halfway point.

The fuel "situation" is sorted out now. You should have no problems. Prices are now down to around 1.10-1.12/l everywhere except on the motorways and Total & Total Contact (always 10ct/l dearer than anywhere else; not to be confused with Total Access, which is often the cheapest in the area! :confused: )

"Travelling this Saturday cork - Roscoff on port aven this time for first time and looking forward to a nice ship compared to Stena which was terribly crowded last year"

That's funny I actually prefer the Stena Horizon to Pont Aven as I found it less crowded. That said we went on Pont Aven in July and have been in early June on Stena.

Will be going next year in July as eldest starting school. Is it unbearably crowded in late June?
    We go on Thursday night boat and come back Sunday to make most of the 2 weeks and allow us more scope to go further south so may not be as busy as regular Saturday/Friday sailings.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Been here for just over a week, Paris, then Bordeaux, in Le Mans now. Fuel isn't a problem at all, weather is utter sh1te all over though and has been a massive disappointment, its worse than at home. Things are set to heat up though over the coming days, but only from the south upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭aquarius10

"Travelling this Saturday cork - Roscoff on port aven this time for first time and looking forward to a nice ship compared to Stena which was terribly crowded last year"

That's funny I actually prefer the Stena Horizon to Pont Aven as I found it less crowded. That said we went on Pont Aven in July and have been in early June on Stena.

Will be going next year in July as eldest starting school. Is it unbearably crowded in late June?
    We go on Thursday night boat and come back Sunday to make most of the 2 weeks and allow us more scope to go further south so may not be as busy as regular Saturday/Friday sailings.

Hi
    We were on the Stena late June last year - think we sailed home around 28th June with them ? The cabins are great, big beds with more room. My gripe with Stena was all the people sleeping in the bars and lounges from 7pm so you couldn't sit anywhere to relax for an hour and there was no entertainment and a very small play area for kids.

There were just bodies everywhere and the staff did nothing about it. We eventually left around 8.30 and just hung out in the cabin. Maybe it was just a busy sailing ? Also the car was parked on the roof of the ship - can't be good with all the salt ?

We'll find out on the 8th July cause we have to sail home again on it this year - not looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭manshay

Hi
    My gripe with Stena was all the people sleeping in the bars and lounges from 7pm so you couldn't sit anywhere to relax for an hour and there was no entertainment and a very small play area for kids.
    There were just bodies everywhere and the staff did nothing about it.

I have travelled with Stena and agree on the above points. The 6 berth cabin is fantastic for our family of 5! The beds in the cabin seem bigger than those on Oscar Wilde or Pont Aven.
    Last week I travelled Portsmouth to Le Havre with Brittany ferries on their "economie" service which uses a boat of almost identical design to Stena Horizon(well to my eye anyway). It was listed on Brittany ferries website as "sold out" but there weren't bodies sleeping everywhere. In fact it would seem you are not allowed or discouraged from doing so.
    There seemed to be more airline seats for people without cabins.

I think Stena do themselves and their ferry a disservice allowing people to put air matresses under the stair wells. Is it acceptable from a safety point of view?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

portsmouth le Havre may well have been this yoke the MV Etretat, which indeed is a sister ship of the Stena Horizon, and ran the Rosslare route until the new ferry was acquired, then called Norman Voyager
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Etretat

It seems the number of passengers carried has been reduced from 800 when running from Rosslare to only 375 now from Portsmouth, so pretty much only accepting the amount which can be accommodated in cabins without need for people to flake out on the floor all over the place.

There is no entertainment on stena but not overly bothered by that. Usually in bed early enough anyway as kids are young. They love the play area even though it is small.

Last year car was on top deck and when we arrived in France it was completely covered in salt. Washed off easily though. This year parked on a lower deck.

The people lying everywhere is a pain and I don't think it should be allowed. Particularly when a reclining chair is included in the price in the lounge. Wasn't such an issue for us as ferry was half empty, however if ferry was full then I would be asking the staff to move them if they were taking up seats and I had none.

• Advertisement

There is no entertainment on stena but not overly bothered by that. Usually in bed early enough anyway as kids are young. They love the play area even though it is small.

Last year car was on top deck and when we arrived in France it was completely covered in salt. Washed off easily though. This year parked on a lower deck.

The people lying everywhere is a pain and I don't think it should be allowed. Particularly when a reclining chair is included in the price in the lounge. Wasn't such an issue for us as ferry was half empty, however if ferry was full then I would be asking the staff to move them if they were taking up seats and I had none.

Our kids are a bit older now, 3 and 5, they will want to go to the cinema on the oscar wilde. They love the arcade area but the play area is too small for them.
    The part they love the most is getting the breakfast in the restaurant instead of the bistro, as they can get what they like with ease.

Will bring board games for the cabin and maybe a small car track to amuse them also.

Advertisement