Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

and maybe a small car track to amuse them also.
    What? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭aquarius10

Our kids are a bit older now, 3 and 5, they will want to go to the cinema on the oscar wilde. They love the arcade area but the play area is too small for them.
    The part they love the most is getting the breakfast in the restaurant instead of the bistro, as they can get what they like with ease.

Will bring board games for the cabin and maybe a small car track to amuse them also.

Also curious to know about the small car track as I have a 3yr old car enthusiast

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

aquarius10 wrote: »
    Also curious to know about the small car track as I have a 3yr old car enthusiast

We have the hot wheels 4 lane track. Two versions, one is 69, other is a lot cheaper with just 4 cars. Days of fun. Got it in smyths.

And dinosaurs:)

Try shop on the boat also, some small things there.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭yellow76

Having done 3 brilliant holidays in the Vendee, we are looking to move further south next year. Will be driving from Cherbourg /Roscoff so another 2 hours south of Vendee would be our limit. Say 6.5 or 7 hrs drive in total.
    Any recommendations for campsites a little further down than St Jean de Monts?
    Thanks

yellow76 wrote: »
    Having done 3 brilliant holidays in the Vendee, we are looking to move further south next year. Will be driving from Cherbourg /Roscoff so another 2 hours south of Vendee would be our limit. Say 6.5 or 7 hrs drive in total.
    Thanks

We did exactly the same. First few years we stayed north of St Jean de Monts but then went down as far a La Palmyre to Bonne Anse Plage which is a wonderful site, http://www.siblu.ie/france/charente_maritime/bonne_anse_plage.php Bonne Anse Plage is about a 6 hour drive from Roscoff, see https://goo.gl/maps/ovECA2DVYNr

This year we're heading further south to Gastes and stay in La Reserve - http://www.siblu.ie/france/aquitaine/la_reserve.php which is about a 7.5 hour drive from Roscoff, see https://goo.gl/maps/ZxinXp7MxSy

• Advertisement

Thanks Je suis Jean. They both look like great options. Is the only option to book through siblu? What time of year do you travel? We do early to mid June and conscious that some campsites we've seen have been empty this time of year and seem more geared towards the French. Any experience?

Thanks Je suis Jean. They both look like great options. Is the only option to book through siblu? What time of year do you travel? We do early to mid June and conscious that some campsites we've seen have been empty this time of year and seem more geared towards the French. Any experience?

Hi yellow,

I used to go to les charmettes in mid june which is close to bon la plage. It's a mix of Irish, English and French. There does be a good crowd there, plenty of kiddies club and entertainment.

Restaurants in the town open at 7 ish.

Going in July this year as kids now in school. Will check bon la place out to see what's it like for next year.

Great average-runner
    Once there would be a few people around we don't mind what nationality. Who did you book with?
    Ive no experience with Siblu so wondering about them.

Great average-runner
    Once there would be a few people around we don't mind what nationality. Who did you book with?

We've always had school age kids when holidaying in France so can't really comment on what June is like but I'd imagine it's a little quieter all right which has it's advantages in terms of fewer people using the facilities, more sunbed availability etc. I can't imagine it would be that quiet otherwise the owners wouldn't open in May they'd wait until July!!

I can absolutely recommend booking through Siblu. In my experience they are a fantastic management company. I've been booking with them for 6-7 years and any time I've ever had a problem or issue they have always stepped up. Some examples:-

1. Asking for a quiet pitch - done.
    2. Asking for keys etc to be left out as we'd be arriving late - no problem.
    3. Asking for our mobile home to have a covered decking - Done. On one occasion they literally fitted a covering to the deck of the mobile we'd been allocated the day we arrived as they knew we were repeat customers and valued having a covered deck rather than just a parasol.

4. Last year my mother became seriously ill a few weeks before we were due to travel to Le Bois Masson in St Jean de Monts so we had to cancel. Even though there was a "no refund" clause in the booking agreement they couldn't have been more helpful. My mother passed away the week before we were scheduled to have our holiday and after the funeral I decided I didn't want the kids to have to miss out on their holiday (after a horrible few weeks seeing their Nana in ER) so I contacted Siblu and after a few days they had identified a late cancellation and made sure we got it. It wasn't the exact type of mobile we'd normally book but given it was peak season (late July / early August) and the site was full we were really delighted and they credited the full amount of our original booking against the cost of the new booking.

Couldn't be happier with them.

Great average-runner

Just went with siblu. As its their site.

• Advertisement

We've always had school age kids when holidaying in France so can't really comment on what June is like but I'd imagine it's a little quieter all right which has it's advantages in terms of fewer people using the facilities, more sunbed availability etc. I can't imagine it would be that quiet otherwise the owners wouldn't open in May they'd wait until July!!

I can absolutely recommend booking through Siblu. In my experience they are a fantastic management company. I've been booking with them for 6-7 years and any time I've ever had a problem or issue they have always stepped up. Some examples:-

1. Asking for a quiet pitch - done.
    2. Asking for keys etc to be left out as we'd be arriving late - no problem.
    3. Asking for our mobile home to have a covered decking - Done. On one occasion they literally fitted a covering to the deck of the mobile we'd been allocated the day we arrived as they knew we were repeat customers and valued having a covered deck rather than just a parasol.

4. Last year my mother became seriously ill a few weeks before we were due to travel to Le Bois Masson in St Jean de Monts so we had to cancel. Even though there was a "no refund" clause in the booking agreement they couldn't have been more helpful. My mother passed away the week before we were scheduled to have our holiday and after the funeral I decided I didn't want the kids to have to miss out on their holiday (after a horrible few weeks seeing their Nana in ER) so I contacted Siblu and after a few days they had identified a late cancellation and made sure we got it. It wasn't the exact type of mobile we'd normally book but given it was peak season (late July / early August) and the site was full we were really delighted and they credited the full amount of our original booking against the cost of the new booking.

Couldn't be happier with them.

That's great service.

Sounds great. Sorry about your mums passing :-(

What kind of mobile do you go for? We have 2 kids 6 and 4 yrs but in the past have gone for 3 beds ( sol a gogo and le clarys plage) . Also each mobile has its own gas Bbq and full oven in some of the mobiles too.

What siblu mobile would you recommend?

Also do you know when prices become available for the following year?

Sounds great. Sorry about your mums passing :-(
    Thanks, appreciate it. We'll be in France for her anniversary in a few weeks so I'm sure it'll be a poignant day but as my parents always said (and I say to my own kids) "life is for the living" so we'll raise a glass to her and be grateful for the times we had with her.
    What kind of mobile do you go for? We have 2 kids 6 and 4 yrs but in the past have gone for 3 beds ( sol a gogo and le clarys plage) . Also each mobile has its own gas Bbq and full oven in some of the mobiles too.

What siblu mobile would you recommend?
    We always book early, always get an early booking and loyalty discount for being repeat customers so we always book a three bed excellence as our kids are 11 and 15 and in hot weather it can be nice to have a bit of personal space sometimes!! http://www.siblu.ie/holiday_homes/excellence.php

Last year we ended up in an Elegance which are a little smaller but as you spend so much time out and about or just sitting out on the deck it really wasn't a problem.

If I was you and looking for the best value/comfort trade off I'd probably go for a 2 bed Elegance given the age of your kids. They'll be more than happy sharing a bedroom and the extra space taken up by a third bedroom will be used to make the layout of the rest of the space that bit better. http://www.siblu.ie/holiday_homes/elegance.php

When booking request a fully covered deck as that will effectively give you a large outdoor room for eating meals and sitting out reading etc.

If you want to keep costs to a minimum then the Esprit with a covered deck will still be fine for 2 adults and 2 young kids - http://www.siblu.ie/holiday_homes/esprit.php

Also do you know when prices become available for the following year?
    I think they'll be made available soon. Call their Irish # on 0818274098 and ask. If you're prepared to book this early you should be permitted to reserve your booking for a (non refundable) deposit of just €50 now with €X payable in +/- October and the balance payable 8-10 weeks prior to your arrival onsite next year. If booking early you should get an early booking discount and if you spin them a story that you've been booking with (for example http://www.europarcs.ie/camping-in-france.html) for the last few years where you get a "loyalty" discount in addition to the early booking discount you might get lucky and get some additional discount normally reserved for returning customers only.

Best of luck!!

Wealth of useful information there Je suis Jean. Very Much appreciated .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭webpal

I'm in the early stages of planning next year as we've never gone in July before. From looking at this years sailings prices look to be about 1200. I know prices can fluctuate a bit, would this be about normal? Would it be about the same when the prices come out? We are heading to Perpignan area which is about a 10/11 hour drive which we'll probably break up for a few days each way. We hope to be in Perpignan for 2 full weeks. Anyone done a fly drive? based on these prices, now, it works out at 1100. I don't mind driving down but if I can fly in 2 hrs I think I would take that option.

webpal wrote: »
    I'm in the early stages of planning next year as we've never gone in July before. From looking at this years sailings prices look to be about 1200. I know prices can fluctuate a bit, would this be about normal? Would it be about the same when the prices come out? We are heading to Perpignan area which is about a 10/11 hour drive which we'll probably break up for a few days each way. We hope to be in Perpignan for 2 full weeks. Anyone done a fly drive? based on these prices, now, it works out at 1100. I don't mind driving down but if I can fly in 2 hrs I think I would take that option.

11 hour drive is a big one all right. If I was you I'd split it into one 6/7 hour drive on the way down staying somewhere comfy for the night and then the shorter balance next day with a view to getting on site for circa 3pm if that's when check in starts.

Personally I don't think I'd do an 11 hour spin down for a two week holiday. We normally do a +/- six hour journey to various locations on the West coast and this year we're heading south of Bordeaux which will be the guts of 8 hours. I honestly think that's going to be our limit and I'm only doing it because we're going for 3 weeks so that's how I've mentally justified the extra drive.

My brother in law has done a fly drive to near Perpignan with wife and two kids under 12 and much preferred it to the ferry -> big drive option. He hired a car on arrival for the two weeks and I don't think there was much gain or loss financially. I think his flights + two week car hire worked out similar to what a ferry + cabin + 2,000 km's diesel and tolls etc would have cost. He really didn't want the hassle of the ferry and big drive and didn't mind being constrained in what they could bring with them to the camp site i.e. 4 suitcases Vs a car and roof box full of stuff and didn't mind not being able to bring a load of wine home.

We love the whole packing up and heading to the ferry. We actually enjoy the night on the ferry and the drive to the campsite whilst boring for 4-5 hours is easily passed with the kids napping or watching movies on tablets and myself and my wife sharing the driving and napping.

Horses for courses but don't think we'd do an 11 hour spin!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭webpal

Yeah we are heading for three weeks as well. I don't mind driving and my preference would be back roads to see the countryside but we've three small children and I think the fly drive option would be better as we'd get to spend an extra few days in France. I would like to drive a good bit when I get there. Barcelona, Marseille and hopefully Pyrenees for le tour. Thanks for input, its interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

RE Internet a couple of pages.

Bar being on motorways, we got WIFI everywhere. Hotels, restraunts, puns. Literally everywhere had it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Thanks

We'd highly recommend La Rive. It's a good spin down though. This is our second year going there, but we're doing the fly/drive this year to try it out. Less than 2 weeks to go, time to start packing ðŸ˜႒

webpal wrote: »
    Yeah we are heading for three weeks as well. I don't mind driving and my preference would be back roads to see the countryside but we've three small children and I think the fly drive option would be better as we'd get to spend an extra few days in France. I would like to drive a good bit when I get there. Barcelona, Marseille and hopefully Pyrenees for le tour. Thanks for input, its interesting.

With Irish ferries for first two weeks of July, 5 star room was 1600. Room is just easier with kids. Can't book next year till at least Oct

Qwerty? wrote: »
    We'd highly recommend La Rive. It's a good spin down though. This is our second year going there, but we're doing the fly/drive this year to try it out. Less than 2 weeks to go, time to start packing ðŸ˜႒
    A little too far for us I think and we are trying to avoid flying. Looks like a fantastic site though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Unusual question for anyone who's traveled on the Oscar Wilde recently, would anyone happen to know what's showing in the cinema onboard at the moment? I've a very curious 6 year old that wants to plan out her entertainment options :D

Qwerty? wrote: »

Hi Qwerty,

We're heading to Siblu La Reserve which is about 30km south of La Rive near Gastes. I see you were in the Biscarrosse area last year. Are there any particular things to do in the area you'd recommend or restaurants etc to visit? I don't want to derail the thread so if you can think of anything and don't mind sharing please PM me.

Cheers.

Hi Qwerty,

We're heading to Siblu La Reserve which is about 30km south of La Rive near Gastes. I see you were in the Biscarrosse area last year. Are there any particular things to do in the area you'd recommend or restaurants etc to visit? I don't want to derail the thread so if you can think of anything and don't mind sharing please PM me.

Cheers.

I think it be good to post it here, as it helps for future holidays, be great if people do reviews.

What ya think?

The sea is looking bad for Friday!!

I think it be good to post it here, as it helps for future holidays, be great if people do reviews.

What ya think?

The sea is looking bad for Friday!!

Dont be saying things like that ! I'm off on friday :eek:

Dont be saying things like that ! I'm off on friday :eek:

Your not alone:(:(

Your not alone:(:(

Ah, theres no point in stressing too much. Where are you getting your info from? Met Eireann only seem to go as far as wednesday unless I'm looking in the wrong place?

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/coastal.asp

in any event, I'll be saying nothing at home, but I'll buy a few packs of seasickness tablets just in case

• Advertisement

Ah, theres no point in stressing too much. Where are you getting your info from? Met Eireann only seem to go as far as wednesday unless I'm looking in the wrong place?

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/coastal.asp

in any event, I'll be saying nothing at home, but I'll buy a few packs of seasickness tablets just in case

I follow the forecast on the weather forum here, it seems to be getting windy at the end of the week. Now hopefully it will happen a day earlier for us.

Advertisement