Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Arriving there Sunday myself. I've heard some recent poor reviews since they've changed hands. 8 euro a pint at the bar and they are very slow. Evening entertainment 25 mins in French. Ridiculous waiting times for the pizza place. No GAA shown in bar. I've stayed there 4 or 5 times before and it sounds a lot different than in previous years.

Bar le Melanie in St. Jean will have the GAA. Probably a few other campsites too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,945 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Flight home from Nice cancelled. Pushed onto a flight via Paris in the morning. Extra night in France on Lufthansa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭webpal

Solagogo down the road from Clarys Plage would have GAA too, not sure how strict they are with non residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Doug Stamper

Hi Heroditas,

We are moving up to Les Menhirs this Sun from St Jean De Monts and delighted to here it's slightly cooler there with the breeze! We have the fans and ice going every night to get temps below 30 in the rooms!

Just wondering do you know if GAA matches are shown in the bar in Les Menhirs? Hoping to watch the hurling final on Sunday if possible. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭padre78

Does anyone know what time boarding starts for BF in Roscoff tomorrow (15th)? The sailing has been put back to 23:00 but would love to get on and settled before then.

TIA.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Latest check in is 9.30 I think, so you should be able to get on board a couple of hours before that surely.

Cheers for that.

With a few small ones on board just want to get them settled after a day in the car....not to mind the adults 😉.

Will aim for about 8:30/9:00. Plenty of time to browse in the red bus wine shop😁

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Jack0125

We sailed back from Roscoff of the sailing last Friday. Our sailing had being put back to 11.00 a few weeks back too.

I would be prepared for a long wait in the holding area post check in and before boarding if you arrive early.

We joined the queue at 6.40 for 7pm checkin opening. Checkin did open at 7pm and we were through at 7.20. The ferry didnt arrive until nearly 9. But we did not start boarding until 9.45 I think. And we were the first line of cars to board. 2.5 hrs in the holding area. I advise bring plenty of water, sandwiches and treats and entertainment for the kids.

We were walking around the ship at 10.30pm, most families getting full meals. The ship was delayed by slow boarding and we didnt sail until quarter after midnight.

Its tough because if leave checkin up against the 9.30 closing time, from the experience last Friday, I would say those people were not on the ship until 11.45.

There were families so hungry in the holding area that they walked onto the ship for food and left 1 person in the car to remain in queue and drive it on the ferry. I was walking around the ship at 12.30 and there were loads of people sitting down for a meal.

Anyway thats my 2 cent, , Im not panning ferry travel, it is what it is, waiting for a late evening ferry, im not over complaining, just stating my experience, just be prepared, just thought I would share my very recent experience

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Jack0125

Just back from 2 weeks in France, first time doing ferry and campsite holiday. Said I would make a contribution here as others do.

1st week in Sol a Gogo, really great experience for 2 adults/3 kids (4yr to 8yrs). Pool and slide complex was great. Kids club was not open yet (last week of June). Easy access/walk to the beach. Great introduction to French campsites.

2nd week was mane guernehue site up near Vannes. Really great site. Twice the size of Sol a gogo. Pool complex was excellent. Softplay area and playground. Kids club was great. The eurocamp homes were under a forest canape which really kept temps down, which was good. Very good restaurant/bar/food takeaway options compared to sol a gogo but I guess sol a gogo is a smaller site. One disadvantage of Mane Guernehue is that its a short but steep hill from eurocamp plots up the the pool area. Having said that it didnt bother me and the 3 kids only complained once about it. Vannes a great medieval city to visit, very pretty old town. Will definitely come back to Mane Guernhue.

Learning from first trip.....bring €100 of 1euro coins...getting change is hard work....kids wanting them for games machines...and even the 4euro bottle of wine is very drinkable

• Registered Users Posts: 9,490 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I'd be incredibly surprised if they'll be showing the match at the weekend. Irish people are very much in the minority here.

That's not too say they won't but I'd be surprised if they were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

Wahoo.....

Loading up the roof box!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Olivia Pope

Doug, will you let us know how you find the des menhirs campsite? Currently in St Jean de monts, considering Les menhirs for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I was on that ferry too, but I had a slightly different view of what was happening.

I arrived at 21:05 (checking closes at 21:30) after having been the second-last Irish vehicle in the WBS car-park. Departure was scheduled for 11:00 but there were loading delays caused by some re-balancing activities which the ship had to complete before it could sail. That seemed to cause vehicles to be loaded and unloaded again, and that delayed us until midnight, as you said. But around 23:15 there was a message passed back through the awaiting cars that any family who could leave their driver in the vehicle could board via the foot-ramp. By about midnight we were onboard and away just around 00:16. One gripe I have is that the cafeteria was closed by about 00:20 meaning I only had refreshing liquids from the bar to consume and a few nibbles of sushi which I picked-up in Morlaix. Despite my late arrival, I was disembarked at Cork within 10 mins of the bow-door opening (I had a roof-box, so was on the lower level).

I feel that the delay was managed as best they could have done, but I can tell you that I felt that the level of stress when boarding a boat wasn't even a tenth of that of an airport these days.

Just got this from BF:

"Good afternoon, your sailing to Ireland on board Pont Aven will be busy, so we recommend you leave plenty of time for check-in, which will be open from 7.00pm . Thank you for your cooperation."

We will see how it works out I suppose. Thanks 👍

I've found Les Menhirs campsite superb. It's not too big and is very close to the small town which has quite a few lovely restaurants and the usual nick-nack souvenir shops. There's also a very good bakery and butcher about 5mins from the entrance. There's also a decent Super U 2mins drive in the opposite direction.

Pitches are smaller than other campsites I've been at but everyone still has plenty of privacy.

Slide area in the pool is very good! Pool itself is a bit of a "human soup" but there's also an indoor pool for the more serious swimmers and a lovely toddler pool too. Decent poolside bar as well. There's a nice arcade room and loads of table tennis tables.

Kids Club is ok, not as good as the last site we were at (La Garangeoire) but they don't need to be very good because you have the beach and town right on the doorstep.

The mobile homes are also nicer than La Garangeoire. They seem newer and/or refurbished relatively recently.

On-site shop is ok but it doesn't need to stock much. There are plenty of shops nearby. Washing machine facilities are very good too.

At least 50% of the people here appear to be French. The rest are British, Dutch, Belgian and Irish. That's one of the biggest positives for me, a real nice mix of nationalities. I actually feel like I'm away.

Definite thumbs up from me for this place. The owners run a tight ship and the place is spotless.

Post edited by Heroditas on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I'm starting to get ready.....going to buy my beam benders and IRE sticker in Halfords tonight. I know you don't technically need a sticker because of the reg plate design but it's all part of the fun.

Edit; We're sailing in 4 weeks.😂😂

Thanks Heroditas, I'll get planning with an alternative now!

Thanks also for your overview of the site. Sounds good and looking forward to getting there on Sunday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Just back , nice trip.

French drivers do like to drive right up your ass and then pull out to overtake you. You get used to it but it can be a bit unnerving at first.

chicken seems to be particularly expensive in France, not sure what that’s about. Some of the gas stations are weird, you fill up the car, keep a note of the amount, drive to a kiosk and tell them the pump number. What’s weird is that somebody is already filling up their car before you pay so I think it’s good to know how much yours cost.

Pastry places for breakfast and lunch or snacks was my favourite , nice alternative to cereals and dont feel like I put on weight , no matter how many cakes I ate!

Heat was nice, we stayed in Le Littoral beside the coast so the breeze always at least gives you some relief on a hot day.

Ferry (Irish ferries) was fine, no certs asked for, you can choose to wear mask or not. What was odd was that on way over we had a basic crap tv with a few channels but on way back our cabin had basically something like a sky subscription service where you could watch what you want!

Cinema both ways was a pile of sh*te (dr strange is on Disney + ffs) options very poor unless you are a child and even at that it was months old movie. Disappointing as I’ve enjoyed late night movies in the last like alien covenant and even Batman v superman.

Also on ship we learned going over (had forgotten as it’s 3 years since we last used it) bring your own snacks, maybe some croissants and mini cereal packs. You can buy small milk cartons for €1.75 each and grab a bowl and spoon.

overall enjoyed trip but glad to be home.

Car packed - plus 3 fans 😁 ...Pont Aven awaits.....Clarys Plage for 3 weeks....bring it on !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭LennieB

Would you recommend La Garangeoire for teenagers? We had a quick look in when down in La Grand Defi the other day (staying in Le Pin Parasol), it looks lovely and I know gets great reviews but would teens enjoy as much as younger kids. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭treascon

We’re heading to La Garangeoire shortly, our fourth time there. Will also be staying in Le Pin Parasol for the first time. Our eldest is coming up to 15 will still enjoy I think. It helps she’s into horses & they have an equestrian centre there. Older teens I’m not so sure about. Have seen a group of them hanging about in the games room looking bored out of their trees in the past, but that’s just my opinion.

No, not at all. I wouldn't bring anyone older than 11 or 12 there. There's lots to do but teenagers would be bored out of their minds. Vast majority of activities there are aimed at the smallies. Also, it's a very isolated site. You need to drive everywhere. Granted, there's a Zipline park 2mins away but that's really it.

We enjoyed it but won't be going back next year. Kids spent half the time freaking out because the place was crawling with wasps. Kinda have to expect that because it's in a forest but as soon as a bottle of Orangina was opened, they would appear and as the fortnight went on, the place became more and more infested.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭garden

How soon should we arrive for our ferry before departure time for WBYeats to Cherbourg? We were aiming to be there for 2.15ish (latest departure at 3pm) but trust pilot is full of reviews of people being stuck in lines and not getting on in time.

2.15 will be absolutely fine I would have thought

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Electric

This was us earlier in the week. We arrived around 14.15, it was around 15.40 before boarding began. We were one of the first on, and the ship sailed around 16.25. We were also an hour waiting to disembark. So if you're travelling with small people, I'd definitely bring entertainment and snacks for the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Arrived in Dublin Port today about 2:10pm, boarded at about 2:30pm (early departure so we were the 1st line of cars to board).

ship sailed at 3.55pm (though cars were still loading at 3:30pm)

Taking the EV?

Just a reminder, any thoughts on EV charging in France (or Europe for that matter) - pop an update in this thread below. I, sadly, took the diesel, but I saw a couple of Tesla's and ID4's in Les Charmettes. From what I heard the hourly rate was scaldy enough for AC charging but the unit-rate was acceptable?

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058242371/charging-in-france-2022#latest

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Anyone been in the Dordogne? Bit worried about the fires! Getting ferry in a couple of weeks.

• Advertisement

Yes! I was there this month, briefly. Stayed in Les Eyzies and visited the museums and cave-sites around the town.

Very beautiful region.

It's difficult enough to traverse, the roads are narrow and not too many dual-carriageways. Plenty of roundabouts though.

It's not as dry as the South - very lush vegetation due to the hills and valleys where I was.

Unless there is a specific warning our for your destination - which there is not - I would not be worried.

(Turn on the two options in "active fires" to see events)

Advertisement