Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭LennieB

We’re there at the moment, almost end of a 2 week stay. Yes there are 2 pool areas, one in the original part of the site called the Sensations area (has a main pool, indoor pool, kiddies pool and slides) and the other pool complex in the Nature and Sens area (new area since 2018), indoor/outdoor pool which also has jets, jacuzzi etc and another outdoor pool. You can use either but people staying in N&S area have exclusive access to that pool complex from 10-12pm, then people staying in Sensations area can use it after 12pm, all can use original pool complex anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Hi All, following on from our trip to Les Ormes this year, we are looking at heading a bit more south next year. The pools & site entertainment were great in Les Ormes so ideally something with good pools and slides on site. Our kids will be 5,8 & 12 at time of travel. Any recommendations for sites with good pools and slides and entertainments we've seen Le Pin Parasol mentioned a few times so one we are considering, also heard Les Charmets is supposed to be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭The Ging and I

Diesel in Nimes area 1.94 yesterday but I thinks its gone down more today as it was 1.94 today in a local supermarket thats usually 10 cents dearer.

Booked ferry and 9 nights next July , leaving on the 8th, with Kel-air , 3 bed mobile with air con, for Le Pin Parasol.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Re long drives, my family (when I was a kid) once did a round trip through Switzerland and Italy and home! V memorable.

For ourselves we're driving from Cherbourg to the Dordogne. Kids are 11 and 13. It's about 8.5h. V doable. We leave on a Thursday, get to campsite on a Sat, get ferry back on a Sunday. So we take a full 2w on the campsite(s).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭10-10-20

One thing that I noticed driving in France versus here - all of the drivers are using Waze. I was pretty impressed how there would be a very recently broken-down car on the hard-shoulder and Waze would pop-up with a notification about it. Also traffic alerts were very prompt and correct to a couple of tens of meters. And the journey estimation time is really on-the-button, so unless you encounter an accident or stop-off at a lay-by, you'll be at your destination within mins of the earliest estimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Android auto was on the rental car we had, it also does the breakdown alerts and colour codes the areas where there are delays. Seriously impressive tech, but just goes to show how much data harvesting is going on regarding your phone. ( I have to assume that it works by monitoring the time it takes for other android users to travel the roads you're on)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Hitting France on sat, staying in Domaine Des ormes with our own caravan for 1st time for 2 wks. Have normally hired a mobile.. normally head in June/July but work shutdown dictates we have to go at the most expensive time. But this year happy to get abroad..

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Back home today after 7 nights in Des Ormes and 3 in Paris.

Sailed Dublin - Cherbourg. No entertainment on boat this time compared to 3 years ago.

Everything pretty expensive as outlined before. We got a carvery dinner before boarding though so were well set up for the evening sailing.

Des Ormes was great. Only 2 hours drive from ferry. We stayed with canvas in a comfort mobile. Nice, clean and modern. No air con though which was missed for the few extremely hot days.

Food options are poor enough. I didn't overly mind but others were giving out. We cooked a few BBQs and ate in some local restaurants which were fab.

The pools were great, especially the inside one. Varying slides for different ages and one that really suited our 5 year old. Loved the waves and lazy river. There's loads of activities to be at, for a price of course though.

We made trips to St Malo and Le Mont Saint Michel. Really nice places.

Then onto Paris. We stayed in Bussy St George. It's about 10 minutes from Disneyland on the train so great location. Our girl loved Disneyland as did we.

We did a day in the city aswell. It was sweltering and very uncomfortable but great seeing all the sights.

Would love to try a different site next year but with similar pools and facilities as Des Ormes. And maybe near the beach. Any ideas? But will defo be back to Des Ormes again.

Anyone any questions just ask.

We did Les Ormes also this year, have booked Le Pin Parasol for next year through Kel-air in Galway, 3 bed apollo which includes aircon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭tmabr

Heading to les Ormes on sat too. At les moettes Yelloh! Village at moment. Highly recommended and near an ok beach.

is les Ormes cashless?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

They will accept Google pay, Revolut, cash, ptsb visa.

Thanks.

is there still a big problem with wasps everywhere , reading on Facebook page lots of people getting stung.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭BullBauld

There were lots of wasps in the bar when we were there. Some around our mobile when eating aswell but not too bad. They don't seem as aggressive as the ones at home. Shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,490 ✭✭✭Heroditas

They were everywhere in La Garangeoire but to be fair, the campsite is in a forest so it's their natural habitat. They're a lot more active once the weather is warmer and once you open a bottle of soft drink, they'll arrive very quickly.

Les Mehirs was much better but it's by the sea and there is less vegetation so less places for them to nest.

They do only get aggressive once the weather gets colder later in the year and they're beginning to die. However, I got stung once or twice in La Garangeoire (didn't hurt too much though) and as the weather got warmer, there was one day where the walled garden bar was crawling with them. A family were at a neighbouring table having ice cream and there must have been at least 10 wasps buzzing around them.

A paraffin lamp works a treat apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Ah jaysis. First holiday in 3 years and I have a fatal wasp allergy.....better keep the adrenaline handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the site we were in in Provence was also overrun with wasps around the bar/restaurant area - the first day we were there we went for a drink and the mrs ordered a Monaco (beer/lemonade/grenadine - very sweet). Within 5 minutes there were several wasps swimming in it. Fortunately they were less interested in my beer, but anytime i was at the bar having a drink there was a cloud of them around me.

I think the long hot dry spell caused their nests to break up earlier than usual - normally this doesn't happen until August which is when they start looking for sweet stuff to sustain them, never seen such problems with them in July before.

The other site we were on didn't have wasps but was the worst site I've ever been on for mosquitos, after a couple of days I looked like i had monkeypox!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mumser

My car insurance does not extend it’s breakdown assistance to Europe and Skoda definitely does not offer it for cars over 3 years old, even if you regularly get the car serviced with them.

I am getting a quote of €203 for two and a half weeks from AA and I can’t find anywhere else to get a quote from. I’m also asking about this in the Motors forum so I hope it’s ok to post here too.

i am trying to scroll backwards here but finding it difficult. My searches online only show it as part of a full car insurance policy apart from the AA. I thought I had that mind you! Does anyone if I can get breakdown assistance cover from any other companies?

That's pretty much it - other than the VHI. But be aware that the VHI's service for ~79 EUR is not roadside assistance, it's just financial compensation for losses after the breakdown.

As you may have read, In France there is a set-charge for recovery off the side of a motorway, that's handled by a local provider and The AA have no hand in that part - they will only assist once the vehicle is clear of the m-way, or you can pay for that same local provider to move your vehicle to a local garage for repair etc. So seeing that, I figured that the VHI's offering was fine for my needs as I was going to be 90% motorway driving anyway.

So weigh up and see what suits you.

But in terms of a gap in the market since Brexit - that's it.

In France at moment and tried everywhere for breakdown cover before leaving. Aa 119€ For 3 weeks seemed the only option. That’s with my insurance and breakdown with them currently. Very expensive

on way from Cherbourg car suddenly lost power on motorway and I just smiled to myself. Thank god I got cover.

pulled into hard shoulder and turned engine off for a while. Thankfully all was good when I restarted. Didn’t need them but I know if it happens on way back I am covered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,490 ✭✭✭Heroditas

The wasp thing did seem unusual bit apparently it's all due to the mild winter and mild spring.

Also, one thing that was strange was the complete lack of mustard ANYWHERE! We had been looking forward to the French mustard but couldn't get a single jar or container of it for the 3 and a 1/2 weeks we were there!! No shortage of it here though. Apparently it's because of a poor crop in Canada last year and also French companies usually source the seeds dorm Ukraine. The double whammy has led to empty shelves in supermarkets.

Moral of the story, if you like mustard, bring your own!!! You could even fill a suitcase and sell it on the black market 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mumser

Thanks to you both. It’s definitely worth considering when weighing up annual car insurance policy, given the additional 200 I’m now being quoted. Mind you I fully believed I had it with Aviva!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Doug Stamper

Hi Olivia Pope,

We loved our stay in Des Menhirs in Carnac.

We stayed in Le Clarys Plage the week before and it was more enjoyable for us when we compared it to Le Clarys Plage.

The site itself is more compact but wasn't lacking for anything. Pools were v good, not as busy as Le C Plage. Kids enjoyed the three slides more too in Les Menhirs. The bar, small shop and takeaway were all good with prompt service.

The area around the camp was lovely... Much more cycle friendly with a large SuperU just up the road and easy access to the beach. The beach was gorgeous... Long promenade to walk/cycle and we'll manned with lifeguards.

The promenade lead to a small 'village' called Carnac Plage with lovely restaurants and all the touristy souvenir shops but alot less tacky than St Jean de Mont. Reminded us of Kinsale/Marbella.

The town of Carnac (5mins further up) was lovely too with restaurants and shops galore.

Very impressive market on Weds and Sun mornings... Food, clothes, souvenirs etc. Something for everyone!

I'd highly recommend day trips to Quiberon, Vannes and a longer trip to Nantes (to see Les Machines and shopping in Atlantis).

We have only Le Clarys Plage to compare it with but definitely preferred Carnac... We'll be going back there again!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Olivia Pope

Thanks for the detailed review Doug Stamper. Des Menhirs sounds like what we are looking for. Glad that you enjoyed it.

First night in des Ormes. Great spot night swim was fun.

what type of animal would be scurrying around on my roof all night. Please say squirrel. Lol. Woke us a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

The pigeons start early, woke me at about 4.30

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭gaillimh

Hi guys.

Looking for recommendations for somewhere in Roscoff to get an early Sunday morning breakfast (given the ferry arrives in approx 7am). 2 adults and 2 kids - coffee, croissants, crepes etc. Preferably a sit-in job rather than a bakery takeaway.

Also, would anybody recommend somewhere to have a decent evening dinner either in Roscoff or somewhere not too far away (for the return ferry home).

Apologies if I have missed any posts that have already covered this.

I know that you's specifying Roscoff specifically but it's a small village really. As we were traveling on the N12 we ended up hitting McDonalds outside Lamballe at 09:45, but assuming that you are doing the same route I see a number of Boulangerie's which are sit-in and such and open from 07:00 between Morlaix and Guingamp.

For dinner, I'd suggest Saint-Brieuc.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭gudede

Just looked into 2023 and prices are nearly double to what I paid in September for 2022. Shocking stuff!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Newonhere

Do you mind if I ask which ferry you’re looking at and when in 2023?

I’ve booked 2 return trips next year out early April returning late May which is costing about the same as this year and out end August returning end October which is costing slightly less than this year. Both crossings are Cork-Roscoff with Brittany Ferries.

Advertisement