Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭funkhouser

I had to paid a Class 4 toll while in France, for a private saloon car. At the automated booths, how is vehicle type determined? Radar? Just wondering did I miss something, wrong lane entering maybe. The above was at least the 10th toll I've paid and I never gave it much thought until I was forced to pay a much more expensive HGV toll.

The ticket is given to you automatically at the beginning and it's not possible to tell the automated machine what vehicle you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Hi all, I am due to travel to Les Mouettes, just outside Roscoff on July 10th, booked with Eurocamp. One of the main reasons for booking is due to the high quality of kids clubs that we've enjoyed in various sites over the past few years however I have just found out when printing off my holiday details and invoice that Eurocamp do not run a kids club here, there is only a park run club. It was probably my fault for not verbally checking with Eurocamp or not checking my details closely but if you look on the Eurocamp website you would certainly assume there is a kids club. Has anybody been to this site before who could vouch for the park run club? In fairness to Eurocamp they have said they will allow us to change sites now if we wish, although the problem is finding availability of 3 bed mobiles in peak season elsewhere! The kids have really enjoyed them in the past and as we are going to a site very far north with suspect weather then the clubs are important to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭rowr

Hi, heading to France on the ferry in 11days and looking at travel and breakdown insurance, do people generally get both or just the travel insurance. Car is 5yrs old and running well, so debating not getting breakdown, any opinions or where to get reasonable cover.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

rowr wrote: »
    Hi, heading to France on the ferry in 11days and looking at travel and breakdown insurance, do people generally get both or just the travel insurance. Car is 5yrs old and running well, so debating not getting breakdown, any opinions or where to get reasonable cover.

Thanks in advance.

I'm a big advocate of taking our annual breakdown cover with ADAC whi are Europes biggest AA style "motor Club" with +/- 15m members. They are German based but have reciprocal arrangements with all the national AA organisations throughout Europe. Their European wide cover is cheaper than Irish only cover from the AA and if you breakdown in Ireland it's the Irish AA who come to rescue you!!

See http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99971999&postcount=817 and http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99661758&postcount=668

If you call them and ask for an English speaking operator they will guide you through the sign up process. Their English is top notch and they couldn't be more helpful. I am now on an annual Direct Debit with them and for €114 a year I'll probably just stick with them regardless of whether I continue to travel to France by car each year or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭blackeyedpeat

Hi I was just wondering if anyone knows of a french equivalent of "Groupon". I did have a look at groupon.fr and there doesn't seem to be any great offers for days out to the likes of a zoo, aquarium, theme park. Don't know if the french are into pre-booking on the internet. Heading to the Vendee in a couple of weeks and might be nice to have a few days out penciled in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Hi Qwerty,

We're heading to Siblu La Reserve which is about 30km south of La Rive near Gastes. I see you were in the Biscarrosse area last year. Are there any particular things to do in the area you'd recommend or restaurants etc to visit? I don't want to derail the thread so if you can think of anything and don't mind sharing please PM me.

Cheers.
    I think it be good to post it here, as it helps for future holidays, be great if people do reviews.

What ya think?

The sea is looking bad for Friday!!

To be honest, we were so content on the site that we didn't venture much at all. We did take a few day trips around like to Dune Du Pyla, the local beach and we did a kayaking day trip down a river, but tbh between the swimming pools, slides etc and the lake on the site, its the kind of relaxing site that you don't feel the need to go anywhere during the day.

Safe travels to you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Hi I was just wondering if anyone knows of a french equivalent of "Groupon". I did have a look at groupon.fr and there doesn't seem to be any great offers for days out to the likes of a zoo, aquarium, theme park. Don't know if the french are into pre-booking on the internet.
    No, there isn't and no they're not. French customers don't understand the concept of a "special offer" and neither do French businesses. :eek: "Family Packs" and "Spécial Promo" items usually cost more than the individual components.

Everything "commercial" in France works on a local (départemental) basis; there's virtually no national coordination of any offers (e.g. no equivalent of an OPW or English Heritage card), so you'll just have to take your chances. Attractions that are promoted to a British and/or German audience might be more likely to offer genuine special offers, but in some cases, you're better off turning up and haggling with someone ... (make sure you mention that you're Irish! :cool: )
    funkhouser wrote: »
    I had to paid a Class 4 toll while in France, for a private saloon car.

The ticket is given to you automatically at the beginning and it's not possible to tell the automated machine what vehicle you have.
    You can! :cool: But you need to use your left-side window and speak French! All the péages are monitored and have CCTV. The toll is based on height and length, and I get charged a Class 3 for my campervan as it's a 5cm over 3m, but a quick call to the guys/girls in the monitoring station gets it reduced to Class 2 every time.

If you can get to the button/speaker, just say "vous pouvez vérifier le tarif, s'il vous plait?" The "s'il vous plait" is very important.
    webpal wrote: »
    I'm in the early stages of planning next year as we've never gone in July before.
    We are heading to Perpignan area which is about a 10/11 hour drive which we'll probably break up for a few days each way. We hope to be in Perpignan for 2 full weeks.
    webpal wrote: »
    Yeah we are heading for three weeks as well. I don't mind driving and my preference would be back roads to see the countryside but we've three small children and I think the fly drive option would be better as we'd get to spend an extra few days in France. I would like to drive a good bit when I get there. Barcelona, Marseille and hopefully Pyrenees for le tour.

Marseille, from a base in Perpignan? That's a tough drive. I wouldn't do it. The roads around Marseille are horrendous. Back in February, I spent a whole day getting there/driving through/getting back, and I was only a hour up the road. Never actually set foot in the city because I couldn't find any parking.

Perpignan to Barcelona is easy enough, but again as a day trip from a base in Perpignan with three children I wouldn't do it (and that's speaking as someone who took four young children all over France/Germany/Austria/Italy!) Mind you, I would/do do everything in my power to avoid going anywhere near the Med in July and August ... horrible place, horrible people, horrible prices ... so many nicer parts of France! :pac:

For the kind of trip you're talking about, maybe you should think about hiring a campervan (in somewhere like La Rochelle, for example) and doing a three-week tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Rough crossing tomorrow according to met.
    Bed early so with the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Rough crossing tomorrow according to met.
    Bed early so with the kids.

Yeah I saw that there. Ah well, it'll be an experience for them!

Yeah I saw that there. Ah well, it'll be an experience for them!

Only had one smooth crossing in 3 travels to France:mad:

Might look at flying next year

• Advertisement

Useful link to check the forecast weather on ferry routes - http://www.met.ie/forecasts/coastal.asp It only seems to forecast out 36 hours or so but should be enough time to plan accordingly if it looks like the crossing will be rough.

Useful link to check the forecast weather on ferry routes - http://www.met.ie/forecasts/coastal.asp It only seems to forecast out 36 hours or so but should be enough time to plan accordingly if it looks like the crossing will be rough.

Just maybe it will blow itself out early:rolleyes:

Just maybe it will blow itself out early:rolleyes:

TBH, I could not give less of a $hit.

I'm out the gap and on holidays!!!! :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Safe travels SD4E, I look forward to seeing your review of La Sirene Vs Le Bois Dormant!!

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Back a couple of weeks from La Sirene great spot and you'll really enjoy it there. For very cheap booze head to La Jonquera its just over the border in Spain but really cheap booze/tobacco and there is a Nike outlet store where prices are great. Also go into Figueres which is the home of Salvatore Dali and the museum is an incredible building, its a lovely small city and easy to get around. For a beautiful drive take the coast road to portbou into Spain. Enjoy...

Just not a fan of the boat, once I am driving over there it be great. Kids love the boat though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

To those of you who arrived back into Rosslare on 29th from the Euros...

It was a wicked feeling seeing you all arrive back with your cars still done-to-the-nines in the tricolour...Some painted completely representing our flag...Others with the flags, stickers, teddy-bears strapped on...Anything that could hold the colour was done up.
    Same to those heading to Rosscoff this morning as I was arriving...Really brought the colour.

Well Done Guys! Looked Great & I Felt Proud seeing you All too :)

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Only had one smooth crossing in 3 travels to France:mad:

Might look at flying next year

I've been about 7 times and never had bad one :)

Not going this year unfortunately going to Austria but would love to be packing the car now. Flying is a pain in the h**e with wife and kids trying to get them to the airport on time etc

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Starting to get that pre holiday feeling!, heading on Saturday week on the Pont-Aven. Anybody else on this sailing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

What is the best cheapest ferry to get from france to ireland.
    They will be traveliing in august
    Is there any special offers available or sales coming up?

trying to use the website but they are chronic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Direct Ferries in the summer are between expensive, very expensive and unbelievably expensive.
    If you want a deal, then travel Monday to Thursday with the landbridge offer.
    http://www.stenaline.ie/ferries-to-britain/europe-by-car
    or
    http://www.irishferries.com/uk-en/offers/landbridge/
    and the table of fares for Ireland-UK (Dover) - France
    http://www.irishferries.com/Documents/France2016/LBG_Dover2016.pdf

theres plusses and minuses compared to the direct ferry, so you need to figure if it suits you.
    We've done it a few times and had a mini holiday in England / Wales en route "for free", seeing as we were passing through and the savings on the ferry covered the hotels in England (i.e. premier inn or travellodge are next to nothing and in very car friendly locations).

• Registered Users Posts: 37 helqui

Booked with eurocamp in Cork for Loire valley and cannot seem to get in touch with anyone via phone there... need to get accomadation vouchers and am slightly worried as our trip is soon. Is anyone else experiencing same??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Baybay

helqui wrote: »
    Booked with eurocamp in Cork for Loire valley and cannot seem to get in touch with anyone via phone there

If it's Cork you're trying, I've no idea but if it's the site in France & you're trying now, it's lunchtime in France 12.30-2.00 local time. Try again after 1pm Irish time.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Booked with eurocamp in Cork for Loire valley and cannot seem to get in touch with anyone via phone there... need to get accomadation vouchers and am slightly worried as our trip is soon. Is anyone else experiencing same??
    I presume that you're calling them on 021-4252300

What kind of accommodation vouchers do you mean?

Which camp site? I've stayed in Le Chateau des Marais several times - lovely clean and friendly campsite.

I got an email a few weeks back from them stating that they would be sending us our travel vouchers and holiday guide ??? Our first time going so i don't know what to expect... can only assume they are proof for the site that you have paid in full but i do have a copy of the receipt. The above number you mention is the one i have been ringing

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Check that they didn't email them to you.
    Can you login to https://www.eurocamp.ie/book/secure/managebooking/login.cfm

Login to Euro camp using your surname and booking reference, all your documents will be there

• Registered Users Posts: 2 afi

Hi. Just back from 11 days camping in France. Eurocamp Camping Club Mar Estang. Large gang of 4 families with grandparents and children from 2 yrs to 11 yrs. loved that we didn't NEED a car and transfer from Perpignan was very short. Great access to the beach and a lovely 15 minute walk along the promenade to the resort of Canet which was ideal for the grandparent to get a break from the campsite. The campsite itself had enough facilities to keep our children well entertained. Bike hire was great for them. This was our second year in a row to return to this campsite so it's now time for a change. We would love something similar, not fussy on destination as such so open to Spain or Italy either.
    All suggestions welcome 😬

Logged in and docs were there, thanks guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 tinimc

Celtic Rambler, a quick question for you or anyone else on here that has visited France. What is the best way to get mobile internet. I have paid a fortunate on site for their internet but depending on where in the site, its hit and miss. We mostly want it for at night time for the boys to use the tablet to watch movies on youtube or for us to catch up on the news or facebook. I have an old o2 dongle and an old smartphone and was wondering can I get a SIM card that I could load with credit. I want to be able to bring it around with us if we can. We don't have internet packages on our mobiles and they will cost too much to just put on for the 2 weeks. Any advise would be welcome. We are both on the Three network if thats of any help.

Advertisement