Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭10-10-20

70 or 80km/hr or faster, probably. You'll be fine.

May I ask, how much does the package come to when you do a wine cruise, and is it still just 4hrs on land in Cherbourg?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭McSween

526 for two and a car, outside cabin. All being well we disembark around 11.15 and drive to wine and beer supermarket, 10 minutes. Previously, we have been back to port at 3pm for 4.30pm departure. Last time we didnt board until close to departure time

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

Hi all,

Very interesting following this thread.

Any recommendations for our family’s first French campsite holiday?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,490 ✭✭✭Heroditas

How old are the kids? That'll determine which sites to look at based on size of them and also willingness to go further south where you're more likely to get better weather

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭garden

We had a fab first time ferry sailing with IF last year and were really blown away by the ferry but prices very expensive for next year so considering stena line - is there much difference between them. I've a feeling that I won't be popular with the family if it's not as nice as IF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭kindalen

Stena not as nice, have a look at Brittany ferries. New ship on Rosslare route and the Cork ship is old, but I think it's nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Stena are putting on 2 ships this summer, the existing stena horizon which is a fair bit more basic than the WB Yeats that you seem to have travelled on plus a (literally) new ship the Stena Estrid (or one of the sister ships) which on a par with the WB yeats

The problem at the moment is that its not clear which day the nicer ferry will operate on.

The horizon isnt the worst but the new ferry would definitely have more of a wow effect

• Registered Users Posts: 8,784 ✭✭✭blackwhite

The speculation is that they'll take one of their other ferries down from the Baltic Sea - Stena Vision being suggested to complement the Horizon. Havent heard any suggestion that one of the new eflexers was being considered for it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

Just compared our dates from 2022 to 2023, everything 10% more expensive which is unsurprising. Even the cot has increased from €10 to €11, Speedy Exit from €20 to €22! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

agh, youre right. The article I read began discussing those new e flexers but indeed when you read the text its rumoured that the stena vision is one of the possible options for the extra ferry to France .

• Advertisement

This might be useful for accommodation https://www.ms-vacances.com/

They have just opened summer prices in the last few hours - prices look good - I've never used them but they are well known and I think other posters have booked through them.

Also they have a La Littoral in the Pyrénées and not Vendee....

Post edited by garden on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Reading about it online though she,s a lot older than the Horizon it looks like the Stena Vision has much more passenger capacity and facilities than the Horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Stenna is a commercial shipping route that accepts leisure passengers as a secondary income.. We've been crossing to France on the various ferries since 2004 and I can honestly say it was the worst experience weve ever had... Its a holiday, not something to be endured.. I didnt like their safety standards either, there was a guy with a tent and a camping stove cooking under a stairway and the crew passed no remarks.. HAving a cabin is optional so you get a hoard of people running to every available seat where they camp out for the night, they lie everywhere and it gets the feeling of a homeless shelter very quickly..

Thank you for this. I've just sucked it up and booked IF - you hit the nail on the head it is a holiday and I don't think I want to compromise on the ferry

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

So I saw today that DFDS are taking passengers on their Rosslare to Dunkirk route (and apparently have been for several months)

This is probably old news here, so I'm wondering if anyone has tried this route and what they thought about it? The prices seem alright, €400 for a family and a car, includes cabin and meals (I suspect that's a lot higher in summer)

I'm going to guess the ferry is a bit more on the basic side compared to something like WB Yeats?

Also, have they said if the route will continue into 2023? The current timetable ends at the end of 2022

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Aww, that's a bit of an ungenerous take! We go with Stena every year and would regard it as a nice, low key, old-fashioned way to travel compared to the mayhem on IF. There's literally nothing to do except walk about the deck, or have food/coffee. But we like things quiet really and the 2 kids are used to it.

It's exactly as I remember it from the 80s, so for me v nostalgic. But yeah absolutely, people are camped out a bit and picnicking at the tables etc; totally, totally different to IF. I can imagine it might be a shock if you hadn't travelled on it before!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

they're currently only taking a handful of cars on each trip as it is very much a freight ferry - they said they'd look into putting a different boat on the route if there was demand. I believe food is included in the fare though. It's a long trip compared with going to Cherbourg and gets you into Dunkirk at nearly midnight.

If you have 26 minutes to spare:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Thanks, I actually found that video shortly after asking.

Looks nice enough on board, although it's definitely on the basic side. Nice that food and cabin is included in the basic price, I don't think I've the patience for the reclining seats and the other passengers would definitely not be impressed with my kids screaming in the lounge

I think the main issue for me is the arrival times. The choice is either late at night or very early morning. Probably suits truck drivers more so they can get a lot of miles covered before delivery times, but not ideal for arriving at a hotel

I hope they keep the service going into 2023 though, and maybe revisit having a bigger ferry with more facilities. Dunkirk is definitely more convenient for places like the Netherlands or Belgium or Germany

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 35 idontknowdoyou

Anyone been to Les Brunelles in Vendee?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭manshay

Stena Horizon has offered great value over the past few years. Its now expensive for a low frills ferry. It is perfectly acceptable, but when it is the same price as other ferries it offers poor value.

We are a family of 5 and the 6 berth cabins are very roomy and great value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭macchoille

on you

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭macchoille

on your Cherbourg or Roscoff question.

For Cherbourg Irish ferries go every second day from Dublin and land around noon. Brittany only go once a week from Roslare.

For Roscoff Brittany only go every Wednesday and Saturday which can make getting the dates fit with the campsite tricky.

(We’ve not looked at stena)

We’ve gone Dublin-> Cherbourg twice. Next year we are going Cork-> Roscoff for the following reasons

• €800+ cheaper (paid over 2400 this year for Cherbourg , got Brittany to Roscoff for just over 1500 next year).
    • We get into Roscoff much earlier than Cherbourg
    • Closer to the campsite 1.45 hrs vs 4.5hrs
    • The return sailing leaves at 11pm vs 4pm which makes packing up more relaxed. (We paid an extra night which we wont use but means we can use pool etc before we leave)
    • My work commitments mean we have to go peak season this year, the savings on the ferry mean that overall its the same cost as last year.

The disadvantages

• To make the dates fit we had to pay the extra night (justifying it in the advantages)
    • We live in Donegal so we’ve a longer journey in Ireland but in fairness I’d rather the extra drive in Ireland than in France

Oh our first few trips were fly and car rental (not doing that again)

Post edited by macchoille on

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Sonya4u

Thanks a million, I think we are going to go with Cork-> Roscoff too, and book Les Mouettes campsite. It's just so close to the ferry, for our first trip overseas we are trying to take the easy option instead of driving 3-4 hours to get to a camp😀

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Beaufort Boy

Question on how quickly cabins book out on Brittany Ferries, Cork Roscoff. I'm thinking of going late June, back early July, but I can't be certain we're going yet. We'd need a 4 berth - how quickly do they tend to book out during that period?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭rex_turner

When I was looking last week 4 berths were already booked out on some of the dates you would be looking at - 2 berths still available. If I were you I'd book now (I have). The flexi fare works out at €50 extra return but it'll cost you more than that if you have to book 2x2berths - and reduces your exposure if you have to cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Can you pay a deposit with Brittany Ferries and pay the remainder off nearer travel time like you can with IF?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

anyone go start of june? I presume further south the better?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Not for the Economy Fare but yes for Standard and Flexi Fares. You can find all the details on this page https://www.brittany-ferries.ie/ferry-routes/planning/low-fare-finder (half way down).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

You will have a fantastic time! Great boat, great campsite, great journey and lovely area

Advertisement