Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TheNah

Has anyone any experience of the privately run kids' clubs (beach clubs) you get in France? We stayed in Des Menhirs in Carnac last year and noticed them. They looked to be very well equipped and staffed, lots of structured activities etc., they looked much better than the kids club on the campsite which was fairly basic. The opening hours seem better as well and might be overall a better experience for the kids. Just wondering if anyone has used them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Anyone got any quirky or unique places to stay along the way from Cherbourg to St Jean du Monts? Got 1 night to kill.

We stayed in a tree house between Rennes and Nantes on a very rural farm off the beaten path a few years ago. It was very basic but we had a lovely chilled out day before we went to our main destination. Keen to try somewhere different this time if anyone has a recommendation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭webpal

Anyone have prices for bike hire in La Reserve campsite or surrounds? Boat fully booked on return leg so cant update vehicle height.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭corkgirl17

Keep trying the ferry, as my return leg was fully booked as well and I was unable to change the vehicle height and when I went in again a few days ago it must have had cancellations and I was able to add my roof box.

Yeah I’ve been checking since you first mentioned it and rang them. Is it BF you are sailing with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Definitely Sainte-Mère-Église. I stayed in Chambres d'hôtes de l'Eglise a few years back and found it to be a great town to hang out in for a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭corkgirl17

I could as long as I stay under 5m length but tow bar supplied and fitted is €500 and another €250 min for a bike rack. Trying to weigh up my options

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

How many bikes do you have and what height would the car be with a roof rack and the bikes stowed flat? You'd only stow them flat before boarding obviously and would have to unpack them on the far end. Put a few lengths of foam pipe insulator on the bikes to protect the frames, remove pedals and turn handlebars. It's a bit of work, but it might be an option.

Another option is to buy a boot-mounted rack for < €100 as well as the roof rack. and put the bikes on the boot rack while on board.

• Advertisement

Allowance is 1.8m, I wouldn’t fit 4 bikes flat and a rack on top. I tried to amend to next height at 2.4m but no luck. Car not suitable for a boot mounted rack

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

what car is it, few cars can take a boot mounted rack and they can be gotten cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Is the club access worth adding to the booking? Family of 4 with 2 kids 5 and 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭suilegorma

We used one of these last year for two weeks for childcare while we worked. Kids got swimming lessons too. Very flexible, it was drop in so you could choose what you needed. They spoke English and there were other anglophone kids there at various points too. They are all up and down the coast, club mickey has loads so you can look at the pics etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭garden

Absolutely worth it imo but I've never done without it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Puy Du Fou

Hi Guys has anyone been to the above and if so any tips

going 1st week in July when we are in La pin Parasol

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭garden

We stayed in Pin Parasol and did Puy du Fou.

Big thumbs up for both. In the last few pages here there was chat about Puy Du Fou. The zip line beside Pin Parasol is a brilliant day out

Regarding tips book the restaurant by the lake well in advance if you want to eat somewhere nice.

Puy Du Fou we booked a few days after arriving and it was like exhausted from travelljng hit and both myself AND other half were nodding off during the shows. On hindsight I'd book closer to the end of our stay. What age are your kids.

The take away in Pin Parasol is sooooo slow. Order 1- 2 hours before you are planning to eat

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭gaillimh

Hi guys.

We are travelling with Brittany Ferries in mid June. it’s our first time travelling on the ferry so have a newbie question re bringing bikes.

We have two daughters that are 4 & 6 and only really came into my mind over the last few days about bringing their bikes with us, rather than hiring them onsite.

The bikes would be on the smaller side.

I think you can buy something to attach to the car boot that holds bikes - is this the best option?

Or what do ye normally do? We don’t have a roof rack.

Thanks in advance for any advice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

Got one of these a few yrs ago. Does the job quite comfortably

• Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

it depends on the car - some cars won't take a boot-mounted carrier as they have plastic spoiler or trim on the boot lid that could be damaged.

definitely bring the bikes if you can though, campsites are perfect for kids to cycle around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭tmabr

Anyone driven into paris city centre? is it nuts? is parking difficult. Have a day spare and was thinking about doing the sights. Or train might be better option.

TIA

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

A lot of Paris has become car-free so plan your route well in advance.

Also, check if you need a Crit'Air sticker (note that some older vehicles will be banned from Paris from July)

Personally, I'd recommend that you use the train. Much easier and less stressful!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

Have done both. As usual you'll get an extra second for lane changes compared to locals with the Irish reg, 2 seconds if you have a roof box and a full 3 seconds if you have kids bikes racked up. Sat nav is an absolute must, although navigating using an old school atlas and the Eiffel Tower as a landmark can be an interesting alternative. Sunday is a good day for driving in Paris, relatively little traffic compared to Mon-Sat. For parking, best to book a multi-storey car park in advance near a metro station. But be warned, most of them have a 1.9m limit, do your research on the various parking websites. Although like Seth recommends, we usually park at a regional train station and get the train in to Gare d'Nord/Est and metro from there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I've done both and wouldn't dream of driving around Paris again, too much hassle and time wasted really - defo do not have a roof box as it will limit your parking options. Train and Metro all the way, way less stress and hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

Anyone buy a French SIM card in advance for streaming? Is it worth it?

Or just use your own data? (I'm with gomo.)

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭tmabr

Thanks for info, have driven in france a few times but wary of the big city. I am staying close to disneyland and have a few days there, would it be an idea to park in disneyland and get the train to paris for the day.?

Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

If possible, get a bus to Disneyland and leave your car there to avoid parking fees. You can get the RER directly from the station next to Disneylands entrance- around 50 minute trip I think. Get the Metro card for the day and hop on and off as you want. If you make a Full Day of it and Plan your trip well, you can get in all the sites in 1 day.

Cheers for the reply. Have an A6. Must look into it.

Alternatively, I guess we could hire bikes for them onsite (we get 2 free adult ones with our accommodation). Would need one with stabilisers for the youngest though so may be tricky get one that suits. I'm actually wishing now we just flew instead and went to Annecy altogether. Staying 5 nights in a villa though and will lose €750 if we cancel so not a runner alas.

• Advertisement

Advertisement