Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭nirvana78

Thanks for the reply Susan, I was delighted to read your feedback on your holiday this year it was very informative. I must read back on your previous posts on the other thread to follow your initial planning stages, as I know it was your first time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

whippet wrote: »
    I will be going back after a two summer break from France (cruise last year and Stockholm this year)

The previous four times we have only gone down as far as Cognac and along the west coast.

In 2017 looking to get as close to the south coast as possible .. near Cannes etc.

Has anyone any recommendations as to accom - Gite / Camping / Resorts in this region .. two kids will be 8 and 5 at the time. I don't mind paying for a decent place

Not quite as Far East as Cannes/nice but camping des sablons http://www.les-sablons.com/en/ near bezier is top class. A super campsite and its on a golden sandy beach. We flew to carcassonne and drove down, it's around an hour down to the coast.

Lovely cycle paths along the canal du mid if you're into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭webpal

Gavlor, how did you find the whole fly drive experience and Carcassone airport/car hire etc also? We are thinking of doing this next year. I don't mind boat and driving but I think fly drive may be cheaper in peak season and then there's the whole couple of hours flight vs 48 hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

webpal wrote: »
    Gavlor, how did you find the whole fly drive experience and Carcassone airport/car hire etc also? We are thinking of doing this next year. I don't mind boat and driving but I think fly drive may be cheaper in peak season and then there's the whole couple of hours flight vs 48 hrs.

Absolutely no problem, I've done it in Italy and France without any issue. My one tip if you are picking a car up at carcassonne airport is to leg it out of the terminal and try get to the top of the queue. One person manning the europcar desk at peak season wasn't ideal! Also, pay the extra for a bigger car to make sure all the luggage/buggies etc fit.

We drove to bezier, Montpellier and the supermarket. Apart from that the car was sitting outside the mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Anyone know how strict Irish Ferries are on car height?

Going to France next week and have booked a car with a maximum height of 6 3. The car comes in under that, but with the bike rack, the bikes are breaking the limit by a couple of inches.
    Is this something they get sticky about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Phoebas wrote: »

Going to France next week and have booked a car with a maximum height of 6 3. The car comes in under that, but with the bike rack, the bikes are breaking the limit by a couple of inches.

I'd give them a call and see if you can change the height for free. We did this before we left as we knew that we would be over the height originally booked. Now we probably did if with about a month to go but still worth a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Phoebas wrote: »

a carrier on the back? probably wont be a problem if you've said you'll have one when booking. last year i made the mistake of booking a carrier on the rear when I actually had them mounted on the roof. They just charged me 60€ that I paid on the spot.

Anyone used Vacansoleil before ?

We used Eurocamp for our first trip this summer but one of the destinations in France which we are thinking of for 2017 is a bit out of the way and Vacansoleil seem like the best bet but don't have any feedback to go on. Got lots of recommendations for Eurocamp from friends last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Just back from Les Charmettes:

Said this would be our last year at this site, but going by our kids reaction it won't be.
    Siblu are always on top of their game, we had a small issue with aircon not working and the boiler. Siblu sorted it asap.

The kids had an amazing time there, our 5 year old went to the clubs, both went to the night time entertainment and had a ball there.

They loved the pool, the local zoo was great again, the aquarium in la Rochelle did the job again. This year we went to Ill de Rey, hired bikes and had a ball.

We got the ferry over and back, youngest not the best traveller so might fly next year.

NOTE:
    We almost missed the boat on the way back, left les charmettes at 10am but took 90 mins to get to marennes with traffic and alot road works on the way up also. Be careful with this and if in trouble ring the ferry, they might wait. We were told this afterwards by the ferry.

Will be heading back to les charmettes, probably fly this time

• Advertisement

Apologies for the wall of text, but I said i'd put together my thoughts on Camping La Sirene while it was still fresh in my mind.

My initial thoughts on the camp were hugely positive, but over the course of our stay, different aspects that I found less appealing emerged.

First – the negative:
    We booked 3 bed aspect for the 1st week of our trip and a 2 bed esprit for the second week.

The aspect is a lovely, modern mobile with a nice deck, and a few extras that amount to rattan furniture on the fully covered deck, a slightly bigger double bed, a dishwasher and a flatscreen tv and dvd player that you can plug your laptop into. While certainly nice, Theres no way I’d pay what they’re asking for this again. The esprit we had the second week served the purpose equally as well.

On the pitches – there's a massive variation in size and standard, some people were literally coming out their front door onto the main access road of the camp, with not so much as a strip of grass to separate them. Whereas other people had a lovely lawn and a fence around it. (worth noting that a better mobile home does not equate to a better pitch) our 2 bedroom one was in a secluded cul-de sac, while several of the bigger ones were jammed up against each other or against hedges.

Speaking of main roads, this camp was by far and away the busiest I’ve been to in terms of road traffic, and it also suffers from having a pretty poor traffic management setup. There are two entrances / exits to the camp – during the day, one of them is closed to exits, so all traffic leaving has to pass down through the main drag. The reason the exit is closed is because another main route passes outside the entrance to the pool and shops. At night, the other entrance is closed and all traffic has to negotiate the busiest area of the camp – up through the main pedestrian area! I found it pretty stressful trying to get in and out through the throngs. All the roads around the camp are very narrow and meeting an oncoming vehicle is always an exercise in contration with the high volumes of pedestrians around who are completely oblivious.

Wi-fi – absolutely brutal, could hardly download emails, whatapp pictures or update apps. Tested it across a variety of devices and locations. Don’t waste your money on it.

There seems to be a sufficient enough Irish contingent visiting the camp that they also hold an Irish evening with songs like home – grand if you’re into it, but TBH, when I travel I like to get away from stuff I can have at home.

Onto the positive
    The crown Jewel is the swimming complex, lots of pools, in mint condition, with plenty of lifeguards. Loads and loads of stuff for younger kids, including their own heated area with mini slides and a splashpark. For older kids, there’s plenty for them to do also with slides dotted all over the place. The whole place is so big, that even when it was at its busiest, there was always room. The Beach restaurant serves excellent food (with a price to match – burger and fries is about €13, kids meal €9.
    The playground areas were by far and away the best I’ve seen in any campsite, with a huge variety of stuff I’d not seen anywhere else, such as a large suspended trampoline area and a unique enclosed climbing frame with a series of balance challenges – our youngest is a very energetic 3 year old, and some of it was just a little too big for her, but my 6 year old couldn’t get enough of it.
    There are 2 options for eating out on site – The Takeaway also serves reasonably priced food that we found to be of good quality overall and pretty reasonably priced and serves pretty much what you’d expect, pizzas, moules frites, etc – about €60 for 2 adults and 2 kids with desserts. The Sirene Beach restaurant is very much a cut above, Lamb shanks, sea bream, steak etc – and has a pricetag to match, about 20€ upwards for a main course and 10€ for starters / desserts. Prices for alcohol is slightly more expensive than home, pint of Amstel is €5. Unusually enough, the bars stock Magners cider

The shop on site is very well stocked and was pretty reasonable overall in my opinion, we still made the 5 minute trip up the road to intermarche / aldi to do a full shop for the fortnight. One point worth making about the shops – one shop sells swim rings / arm bands and a selection of the usual giant inflatable tyres, sharks etc – These larger ones are not allowed in the pool – so don’t waste money on them.

The evening entertainment was also on another level to what I’d experienced on other sites, There was a full production of the musicals ‘chicago’ and ‘mama mia’ which were really really good, but they were a bit advanced for younger kids. The shows also don’t typically start till about 9:45 which is skewing a little late when you’ve got 2 kids who are thoroughly worn out from their days activities. Nightlife is quite lively in this camp and there was one bar that stayed open till 2am and had plenty attendance from the older teens. The camp also maintains a pretty visible security presence in the evenings, 4 or 5 personnel are dotted around the various entrances, bars and restaurants.

So to summarise,

Would I go back again – yes, definitely, but I’d do a bit more research and try and get a better pitch / location than what we had, I might also skip it for a year or two until my kids are a little older as I think they’ll really get the full value out of it then.

On the Drive from Roscoff to Perpignan / Argeles Sur Mer – I’d probably not do this again, I tallied up the figures last night, and I could have flown to Girona Airport in spain (avoiding the French Air traffic strikes) and hired a car to drive north to the camp for a fair bit less than what the tolls, diesel and time spent travelling were. Its a campsite where theres no real point in hiring a bike IMO, everything is very close together and there a Land train that goes into town and the beach on the hour.

I just posted a pretty detailed review of Camping La sirene in the other thread.

I'd go back again, but I found the drive to be too far from Roscoff, Did a rough calculation last night, and between tolls, fuel and hotels for the stopovers (plus what you spend on the boat and in hotels) i reckon I'll fly drive if I'm heading there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭oinkely

nirvana78 wrote: »
    Doing the usual research, I came across a camping discount card called a "camping card". This card gives great discounts on selected campsites, if anyone can share their experience using this card that would be great.

We went to France for the first time this year in June. Took our caravan though, not a tent. Had the ACSI camping card and it was great. Basically it's a low season discount card for the campsites in the book that comes with it / or are on the app.

Pay €13, €15, €17 or €19 (depending on facilities / location etc) per night to include two adults, electricity and hot water. Some campsites included the kids in this deal also, some charge a few quid extra.

We were two adults and three kids (7,5 and 2).

The cheapest one we stayed at using this card was: http://domaine-du-roc.fr/ and we would definitely return. A bargain at €15 a night for everything.

We also stayed at: http://www.saint-malo-camping.com/ which was €21 a night,
    http://en.flowercampings.com/campsite-brittany/camping-le-bois-d-amour which was €25 a night
    and http://welcome.lez-eaux.com/ which was about €34 per night.

Would return to all of them, but the Domain Du Roc one was our favourite.

These were all in June (low season) and all were great value. Excellent services and facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Hi all, currently over midway through a 12 night stay in Les Mouettes,Carantec in Northern Brittany. I will post a more thorough review when I'm back. The campsite is medium and just the right size in the beautiful town of Carantec which has some fab beaches to choose from all within 10 mins. Pools, indoor and out tick all the boxes for our 10, 7 and 1 year olds. Nearby I'd recommend St Pol de Leon as a wonderful gem of a place, Morlaix again 10-15 mins has a L'eclerc and Decathlon sports shop and one of the highlights for me has been Roscoff. I never really looked into what Roscoff had to offer before, just assumed it would be a plain, industrial port town but it is far from it. Beautifully French and picturesque. In a nutshell with the weather as good as it has been why would anyone drive for hours with this place on the doorstep! 15 minute drive from Roscoff to the campsite, with the baby we weren't keen on a long drive this year. Delighted with this choice and would strongly recommend!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

Just back from Les Charmettes:

Said this would be our last year at this site, but going by our kids reaction it won't be.
    Siblu are always on top of their game, we had a small issue with aircon not working and the boiler. Siblu sorted it asap.

The kids had an amazing time there, our 5 year old went to the clubs, both went to the night time entertainment and had a ball there.

They loved the pool, the local zoo was great again, the aquarium in la Rochelle did the job again. This year we went to Ill de Rey, hired bikes and had a ball.

We got the ferry over and back, youngest not the best traveller so might fly next year.

NOTE:
    We almost missed the boat on the way back, left les charmettes at 10am but took 90 mins to get to marennes with traffic and alot road works on the way up also. Be careful with this and if in trouble ring the ferry, they might wait. We were told this afterwards by the ferry.

Delighted to read this. We are heading there in 3 weeks time. We were there before but as we were over in France attending a wedding we only did 4 nights so really looking forward to it and especially now after reading your review!!

amor3 wrote: »
    Delighted to read this. We are heading there in 3 weeks time. We were there before but as we were over in France attending a wedding we only did 4 nights so really looking forward to it and especially now after reading your review!!

PM me, if you want ideas on what to do, where to eat etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭insullation

Hi all, currently over midway through a 12 night stay in Les Mouettes,Carantec in Northern Brittany. I will post a more thorough review when I'm back. The campsite is medium and just the right size in the beautiful town of Carantec which has some fab beaches to choose from all within 10 mins. Pools, indoor and out tick all the boxes for our 10, 7 and 1 year olds. Nearby I'd recommend St Pol de Leon as a wonderful gem of a place, Morlaix again 10-15 mins has a L'eclerc and Decathlon sports shop and one of the highlights for me has been Roscoff. I never really looked into what Roscoff had to offer before, just assumed it would be a plain, industrial port town but it is far from it. Beautifully French and picturesque. In a nutshell with the weather as good as it has been why would anyone drive for hours with this place on the doorstep! 15 minute drive from Roscoff to the campsite, with the baby we weren't keen on a long drive this year. Delighted with this choice and would strongly recommend!

Do you think you could manage there without a car?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭nirvana78

Oinkely thanks for your feedback, I'll definitely get myself one of those cards. When I first came across it, it sounded too good to be true, that's why I was looking for someone to reassure me. I'll check out your sites later.

I'm glad I wasn't in a tent today in France, I seen it was 40°

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

spot on about Roscoff, it's a lovely little place; much prefer sailing out of there than Cherbourg.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

Gavlor wrote: »
    Not quite as Far East as Cannes/nice but camping des sablons http://www.les-sablons.com/en/ near bezier is top class. A super campsite and its on a golden sandy beach. We flew to carcassonne and drove down, it's around an hour down to the coast.

Lovely cycle paths along the canal du mid if you're into that.

@gavlor .. that place looks great. We will be driving down so will have our car and bikes with us.

Is there much to do for day trips from there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 helqui

Ok, just back from our first ever trip to france(3 little ones in tow) booked with eurocamp and stayed in Loire Valley. Absolutely lovely country side and people, we will definitely go again. We booked with stenaline and tbh would rather try a different operator next time, the cabins were lovely but food wise they didn't have alot of what was on the menu at the sandwich bar(no biggie i guess),not much for the kids to keep busy and also there were cars broken/attempted into on the outward journey as announced by ships captain the following morning(thought nobody had access to car deck when ship was moving) luckily ours was ok. Outward journey was rough until about 0200 which was then great for the remainder and return trip was superb, just like sitting in a car really. Heard lots of great reviews re I rish Ferries and Brittany Ferries so would like to give em a go. I have looked online and the prices for next year are 200 plus dearer for ferry and 400 plus for accomadation :-(. I have been told that IF sometimes have cheaper deals can anyone confirm as currently north of 1600 which is alot.
    Thanks
    Helqui

helqui wrote: »
    Ok, just back from our first ever trip to france(3 little ones in tow) booked with eurocamp and stayed in Loire Valley. Absolutely lovely country side and people, we will definitely go again. We booked with stenaline and tbh would rather try a different operator next time, the cabins were lovely but food wise they didn't have alot of what was on the menu at the sandwich bar(no biggie i guess),not much for the kids to keep busy and also there were cars broken/attempted into on the outward journey as announced by ships captain the following morning(thought nobody had access to car deck when ship was moving) luckily ours was ok. Outward journey was rough until about 0200 which was then great for the remainder and return trip was superb, just like sitting in a car really. Heard lots of great reviews re I rish Ferries and Brittany Ferries so would like to give em a go. I have looked online and the prices for next year are 200 plus dearer for ferry and 400 plus for accomadation :-(. I have been told that IF sometimes have cheaper deals can anyone confirm as currently north of 1600 which is alot.
    Thanks
    Helqui

Irish Ferries will have a 10% discount at some stage. The reason why they are dearer is because of the food selection, bigger ship, cinemas, children entertainment etc.
    Stenaline is more of a ryanair model!

Irish Ferries will have a 10% discount at some stage.

Average Runner - will they have the 10% Discount do you think ? I have contacted them and they are saying that no decision has been made in relation to any early booking discounts.

We are ready to book as we have our dates worked out but I am dithering (hoping for a discount!) and Husband just wants me to book it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 helqui

Irish Ferries will have a 10% discount at some stage. The reason why they are dearer is because of the food selection, bigger ship, cinemas, children entertainment etc.
    Stenaline is more of a ryanair model!

Interestingly, the dates i looked for next year they are running their "economy service" on the outbound trip, the Epilson, i believe which looks quite similar to the stena horizon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Do you think you could manage there without a car?

Hi. I think you could yes. It's approx 20 mins from the ferry so you could get a taxi to the site. When you get to the campsite there is a free bus that takes you all around Carantec every 15 mins (only July and August). You could use this to take you to the beaches and the Casino supermarket. There is a tourist office on the site that arranges day trips etc to all the places of interest so it would most definitely be possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Was at domaine de ormes this year, fab site

Was wondering if anyone been to any of the following and if so any reviews

La grande Metairie
    La pointe st gilles

Kids range from 2 to 8

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭webpal

We went to grand Metairie one year and wouldn't have any complaints. Plenty to do. There are kids clubs depending on who you travel with. There are activities for under 5s but you have to stay with them. My only negative would be the distance from anywhere, there is nothing around and is a good 40/50 min walk from beach/town and there were no taxis when we were there.

Haven't been to other place but did pass it while staying in yelloh village. Seems ok, bit closer to civilisation.

helqui wrote: »
    Interestingly, the dates i looked for next year they are running their "economy service" on the outbound trip, the Epilson, i believe which looks quite similar to the stena horizon

Its the Oscar Wilde that I was talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 gummiebear

Hi all, I'm new to this thread. Hope you don't mind me asking about ferry prices. Has anyone noticed an increase in ferry price for 2017. Want the 1st 2 weeks from Cork and coming in at €950 for 2+6, car roof box and bike rack from Cork. Does that sound right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

gummiebear wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm new to this thread. Hope you don't mind me asking about ferry prices. Has anyone noticed an increase in ferry price for 2017. Want the 1st 2 weeks from Cork and coming in at €950 for 2+6, car roof box and bike rack from Cork. Does that sound right?

I noticed prices from Rosslare to France end of June 2017 are up 1% or so, €200, v's what I paid when I last travelled in 2015 at the same time of year

Advertisement