Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

We are looking at La Sirene for next June having done La Baume last year. Accommodation is very cheap, €513 for the week but flights are looking expensive. Could anyone who flew to carcassonne/beziers shed some light on the best time to book flights?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

dp

Post edited by Gavlor on

Have you tried aer lingus to Perpignan? Bus to perp gare and train to argeles from there is about a fiver a head. Airport xfer €70-90 depending on your arrival day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Never even thought of Aer Lingus, I'll give that a look. We'll be hiring a car anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

That's great, thanks for the info. The campsite we want to book doesn't open bookings until November so hopefully the times line up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I booked cork-carcassone with ryanair earlier this week, 287 per person. Havent flown there before, but wanted to get in while the dates were up.

have previously done dublin-perpignan which is great for la sirene as its 20 mins away, but I'm preferring to pay slightly more / drive further in france to avoid having to fly out of dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭browne_rob5

Irish Ferries sailings are up!

I paid around €400 less than last year but dates are slightly different. The same dates are €250 less so hopefully a bit cheaper all around this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

Thanks! Just looked and prices seem ok. We're based in Dublin with 2 young kids so saving the trip to cork or rosslare is probably worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭suilegorma

Depending on where you are in Dublin, it can be a painless trip to Rosslare v spending longer on the boat...we were travelling against ourselves by going into Dublin this summer watching as we sailed past our house!

• Advertisement

• Got an Irish ferries email stating if you book today (by midnight) you get 10% off.

10 days in jul out sat and back Monday with 2 adults and 2 kids with window cabins working out at €1,607

Any thoughts, likely to be genuine or a usual misleading tactic of a Harvey Norman sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

Done ours last night BF out and stena back 1010 euro out 16th July back 6 August 2 adults and 2 kids

• Registered Users Posts: 9,490 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Didn't realize the bookings were available since the 25th. I had checked last week and no sign of them.

Anyway, booked last night and it worked out about the same as this year even though we're going two weeks later next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 garrethr

Hi, wondering has anyone stayed in either La Guyonniere or La Garangeoire campsites in the Vendee? They seem close to each other, good reviews on line but wondering if one is particularly better than the other. Looked at Pin Parasol but seems very expensive for the time of year I'm going (early August).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Stayed in la Guyonniere several.tes a few years ago, but our own caravan. At the time is was off peak, June. Place was lovely, clean, quiet, BUT it was geared for the Dutch, in so far as the people in the shop and takeaway talked Dutch as a first language and were hesitant to speak eithe French or English.

Stayed in Garangeoire also. Pool is small for the size of the park. But the park is lovely.

Stayed in Pin Parasol this year, faultless tbh. All 3 are based a good 30 mins from restaurants and good shops. Their on-site bakery and shop were very expensive.

Stayed in La Garangeoireast year. Lovely site insofar as it's spotless and loads of room between pitches. Fantastic facilities bar the pool which is a wee bit small. It's a lovely setting, the kids camps are great and loads of trails for runs/walks.

The two drawbacks for me were:

1. It's a good bit away from anywhere. The supermarkets are a decent drive away so you really need to stock up when you're at them.

2. It's like Center Parcs in the Sun. Wall to wall Irish when we were there. Even most of the staff were Irish! I know that appeals to some people but it's not my cup of tea. When I go away I like to feel that I'm away

• Registered Users Posts: 21 garrethr

Thank you, that's interesting re la Guyonniere.

Seems Pin Parasol is the place to be given all the positive reviews I've read.

Also, re the prices, you're going in peak holiday season when all the British kids are also off school, as well as French school kids. Don't rule out the fact that the Olympics are on then too which will drive up demand

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bifl

Le Pin Parasol seems to be split between two areas, the Sensations area and the Nature et Sens area. Travelling with kids, would you recommend one over the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

We were in La Guyonniere last year. Can't really fault it in many ways, but would echo what the poster above says about it all being set up for the Dutch. It's owned by a Dutch family and apparently just about all of their marketing is done there - I'd say at least 80% of people there where Dutch.

Interesting what the other poster says about  La Garangeoire being almost 100% Irish. Know it's not everybody's cup of tea, but if we were doing it again, I'd book there instead, on those grounds alone. Reckon that having more Irish rather than Dutch or any other nationality around just makes it easier for the kids to make friends for the duration of the holiday.

Our lads are mad into hurling anyway, and chances of them finding a few Dutch kids to hurl with were slim!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Going back on the ferry for next summer after 8 years of flying. Coming back we have a choice of WB Yeats or Stena Vision, sailing times aren't an issue for us but Irish Ferries are €120 dearer. From sailing with Stena previously I know its good accommodation with basic on board services. Is it worth the extra for WBY..

My view is to have the luxury heading out so you're fresh and ready for the drive. Coming back, it's not as much of a necessity so keep the €120 and spend it on the holiday instead.

I love the atmosphere on the ferry outbound. The atmosphere is always goody and excited compared to on the way back when it's a lot more subdued

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

We're coming home direct but going out thru holyhead/eurotunnel as we're doing Warner Bros Studios first (Harry Potter fanatic amongst us). We loved the Oscar Wilde and its tempting to try WBY..

Nature en Sens is the newer part of the campsite. Further away from the main bar and restaurant, but it has its own bar and restaurant but limited times. Pool is lovely in this area too but much quieter and no slides etc. Mostly caravans in this area than mobiles from my recollection. The playground is in this area too. Sensations is the original part of the site, all mobiles, with different options in sizes etc. It's near to the shop,slides etc.

I did find a large amount of Irish here, in one case an ignorant group of people came in and switched over the TV to watch the football when some french and other Irish were watching the grand Prix. I tend to veer away from those jerseys and anyone with a hurley tbh. In my experience, lots tend to be loud, who but me, I can carry a hurl everywhere, type. No offence to anyone like this, but I've found this to be the case in the 25+ years of camping in europe. It can get embarrassing. I used love to get my kids immersed in with other nationalities, and tbh the Dutch kids are the easiest to mingle with and parents are usually chilled.

I tend to look for campsites are set owned by the french , no franchise. Less drinking nights and more family orientated imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Jack0125

The Nature and Sens area (newer part) is more 5 star plus by having a wonderful indoor outdoor 50m pool, spa like water jets and outdoor shallow pool. And the pitches are more spaced than normal campsites, mostly centred around a lake. But to memory this side of the campsite is pricerier than the Sensations side where we stayed last year. and going again in 2024 for 15 nights.

The N&S side is not accessable (gated) by Sensations campers until after midday i think each day (to preserve its exclusivity I guess). But the main pool/slide are in on the sensations side, the main bar/restaurant/kids entertainement area/shop.

So I guess its serenity versus lively active campsite

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Charliebull

we stayed in sensations area last year and going back again next year, you can walk between both, the only restrictions being the pool times but that is only early morning.

Great campsite BTW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Travelling with two young teenagers next July. Hoping to find somewhere nice around Brittanny. I like the look of Le Pin Parasol but it doesnt seem to be close to much within walking distance? Would there be any other good recommendations for a week or two around that general area? Happy to drive up to around 4-5 hrs from Roscoff. We stayed in Camping les Menhirs a few years ago and enjoyed it.

Would you think of somewhere like St.Jean de Monts. Lots of activities, beaches are fab. And lots of good camping sites on the road out of St.Jean to Normoutier, rue de Notre Dame. Easily accessible by bike into the village, lots of forest routes at the back of that road.

Les Menhirs is still lovely and would, in my opinion, be ideal for teenagers. Plenty of activity in the evening and also during the day and they can wander into the town whenever they want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

Les Ormes is excellent for teenagers. Its a very busy and large size park packed full of things to do.

Advertisement