Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭insullation

gummiebear wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm new to this thread. Hope you don't mind me asking about ferry prices. Has anyone noticed an increase in ferry price for 2017. Want the 1st 2 weeks from Cork and coming in at €950 for 2+6, car roof box and bike rack from Cork. Does that sound right?

1st two weeks of when? If July or August including cabins that is as good as you'll get I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Moopers

1st two weeks of when? If July or August including cabins that is as good as you'll get I'd imagine

Yeah, I agree. Looked up prices for the 1st 2 weeks in August next year and they are the exact same price as this year (about €904). 2 adults+2kids+normal car

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

I'm looking at booking for next summer also (returning to Siblu La Reserve) and I'm thinking the reduction in the value of Sterling Vs the Euro is going to create some opportunities to avail of discounts on either the campsite itself or the ferrys or both but right now the dates I'm looking at for the ferries (Dep Fri Jul 14th Ret Fri Aug 4th) for 3 adults, 1 child and a 4X4 with a roofbox + a 3 star 4 berth cabin are coming in at €1,264 made up of Irish Ferries to Roscoff €640 and Stena from Cherbourg to Rosslare €604.

I really miss the cheap LD Lines ferry to St Nazaire for less than €300 one way including a cabin :(

Think I'm going to hold off at least until the 10% early booking discount becomes available. That's €120!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Moopers

Was at domaine de ormes this year, fab site

Was wondering if anyone been to any of the following and if so any reviews

La grande Metairie
    La pointe st gilles

Kids range from 2 to 8

Thanks in advance

Hi Charliebull, we have gone to Pointe St. Gilles twice now and never been disappointed with the place itself. We often say that if we could just transport the location to a warmer part of France we'd be happy. The last time we were there was July 2014 though, and I do see some negative reviews on Trip. They mainly seem to be about the mobile homes themselves, and I'd probably agree with that alright. Those 'Classic' mobiles from E-Camp really should be gotten rid of.
    The site itself is perfect for your kids ages- the playground is grand and safe and the pool area is brilliant. There are plenty of small slides and areas for toddlers. The area around the campsite is the best part- there is a beach across the road and then a lovely walk into the town (about 10mins or so). You walk all along the sea and then onto a promenade with restaurants and a really long beach. There is a lovely boulangerie in the in town and there is a big supermarket up the road (just off the main roundabout).
    We would go to the campsite again in a heartbeat, only the weather can be very hit and miss no matter what part of the Summer you go. We are heading down to Le Clarys Plage this year (next weekend) purely because we might get better weather. We have also booked an Avant mobile in the hope that we will be in a newer mobile with better facilities. Not expecting too much as regards the area around the campsite (stayed in the area before), but you can't have everything!
    My advice- definitely go to Pointe St. Gilles, just stay in a newer mobile (or different company to E-Camp).
    Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I'm looking at booking for next summer also (returning to Siblu La Reserve)

looks like you were happy with it Jean? how would you rate it in comparison to the Bois Masson / dormant?

we're open to a change again next year, but ferry and campsite costs are going to play a bigger factor than they have previously.

• Advertisement

looks like you were happy with it Jean? how would you rate it in comparison to the Bois Masson / dormant?

we're open to a change again next year, but ferry and campsite costs are going to play a bigger factor than they have previously.

The site is way better than Dormant/Bois Masson in that there is so much more space and the lake with it's own beach is just fantastic. the kids love it and have spent most of their time there. We've literally been to (the very nice) pool complex only 3-4 times in almost 3 weeks. The lake water is a lovely temperature and it's both sandy and very shallow. There is a roped off secure area but you can go 200m out beyond that and it's still only 3-4 feet deep.

We were concerned about the lack of restaurants nearby but it hasn't been a problem. We've only eaten in the campsite restaurant once (the night we arrived) which was ok but nothing special and no where near as nice as the restaurant/food in Bois Dormant. We've actually been cooking a lot in the mobile and it's been great. The supermarkets (15 minute drive away) have great fish counters so there's been lot's of fresh fish cooked in tin foil parcels with fresh cream and mushroom pasta, marinaded chicken with cous cous etc and not just the standard BBQ fare of burgers and chicken wings. The onsite shop is well stocked and not overly expensive Vs the Supermarkets. The bread as ever is great so we've been eating outside on the deck at least twice a day and really enjoying it.

Mimizan Plage is about a 25 minute drive and is where the action is in terms of beach and nice restaurants etc. We've been 4-5 times.

Really nice relaxed outdoor vibe in the campsite with a big outdoor stage (like Bonne Anse Plage) and the total opposite of the death trap stage in Bois Masson.

My kids are 11 and 15 and we were worried the 15 year old would be bored but there is a "bar" which opens at 10:30 and plays clubby music for a couple of hours which keeps the older teenagers happy and that, along with football, tennis, the lake and generally hanging around with others his own age seem to have kept him more than happy and the clubs for the younger kids seem to be up to the usual standard.

Bottom line is we're coming back. It's a bit of a drive (8 hours including a couple of short stops for food and bathroom etc) but worth it in my opinion. The weather has been glorious averaging mid 20's but getting up to the mid 30's and even hit 40C one day.

There are some nice bike paths which bring you to Biscarrone in the north and Mimizan in the south (both about 20km away) which suit myself and my wife as we like to get out on the bikes early morning, grab a coffee and pastry in Mimizan Plage and cycle back before either of the kids have even woken up.

Paid WiFi on site is good but the free WiFi at the bar is overwhelmed by too many users at night and pretty much useless.

Saturday is changeover day and is manic. Checkin officially starts at 4pm but it can be 5pm or 6pm by the time all mobiles are ready so be prepared to park up and grab a bite to eat while waiting to unload!!

Hope that helps.

Any questions just let me know or PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭webpal

Jean, did you look at BF? Your journey is €1038 on that (going on the Saturday though)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 gummiebear

Oops! Sorry, should of said 1st 2 weeks of June. Paid €733 for same weeks this yr with IF. Was hoping to do from Cork next June.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Ok so Planning for 2017 in earnest now so a few questions :

1. Has anyone used Vacansoleil before ? Our specific concerns are that they do not provide an Oven or a BBQ leaving just a hob for cooking and that they seem to be charging €300 as a Security / Cleaning Deposit on the Site we are interested in. The €300 seems high. We have only ever gone with Eurocamp and paid €17.50 damage waiver and Eurocamp did not inspect the Mobile for cleanliness. I don't have a problem leaving the mobile clean but how strict are Vacansoleil - what is involved here ?

2. Has anyone done Landbridge through the UK ? We only want to do it 1-Way and will return direct to Ireland. We are thinking Dublin - Holyhead and then EuroTunnel Folkestone - Calais. Is the normal Ferry or the Fast Ferry better for the Dublin - Holyhead route ?

All advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.

We used Vaconsoleil 2 yrs ago in Belgium. It was sold to us by a guy in The French Holiday Centre in Cork. A really nice guy who was very knowledgeable on campsite travel but I currently can't think of his name. The only good thing about the site was the Vaconsoleil area. The mobile was fine and the inspection was strict enough at the end. The rep was very nice and seemed to have taken a shine to us. I think we paid €100 deposit, def not €300. )That's outrageous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭yellow76

Has anyone done Clarys Plage and Sequoia Parc? Id be interested in opinions on which is better. We have 2 smallies ages 7 and 5 yrs

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,568 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

yellow76 wrote: »
    Has anyone done Clarys Plage and Sequoia Parc? Id be interested in opinions on which is better. We have 2 smallies ages 7 and 5 yrs

Thanks

Sequoia Parc is an amazing campsite, highly recommend it. Our kids just loved it.

_Brian wrote: »
    Sequoia Parc is an amazing campsite, highly recommend it. Our kids just loved it.

What month did you travel Brian? We are stuck on beg-mid June so wondering is there much going on.

Also are any of the pools heated?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭aquarius10

Hi

We were in Clarys plage 1st week of July and all the outdoor pools were warm, including baby pool. There is a lovely water park splash area with squirty water shooting out. Kids loved it.

We stayed with eurocamp in main park and were close to pool & playground area. It was well suited to our 5 & 4 yr olds. Very child friendly with few kids discos and shows in the evenings when the euros weren't on.

The weather was 25- 28c on sunny days but we had a few showers too but I think the weather was bad this year in France for June & early July.

I would recommend the site, clean and nice mix of nationalities & Irish too.

We did few day trips and it's bear a few nice seaside towns incl st Jean des monts and les sables d'olonne. A trip to puy du fou is a must.

If you have any other queries do ask.

webpal wrote: »
    Jean, did you look at BF? Your journey is €1038 on that (going on the Saturday though)

Hi webpal,

Yes, checked that but the money we'd save going out on the Saturday would be almost offset by the money we'd waste pating for Saturday and not turning up until Sunday plus our holiday would be one day shorter!!

Thanks for the suggestion though.

aquarius10 wrote: »
    Hi

We were in Clarys plage 1st week of July and all the outdoor pools were warm, including baby pool. There is a lovely water park splash area with squirty water shooting out. Kids loved it.

We stayed with eurocamp in main park and were close to pool & playground area. It was well suited to our 5 & 4 yr olds. Very child friendly with few kids discos and shows in the evenings when the euros weren't on.

The weather was 25- 28c on sunny days but we had a few showers too but I think the weather was bad this year in France for June & early July.

I would recommend the site, clean and nice mix of nationalities & Irish too.

We did few day trips and it's bear a few nice seaside towns incl st Jean des monts and les sables d'olonne. A trip to puy du fou is a must.

If you have any other queries do ask.

Yes we spent 2 weeks in Clarys plage in June and it was fab. Just looking for comparison between the 2 . Sorry I didn't make that clear!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,568 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

yellow76 wrote: »
    What month did you travel Brian? We are stuck on beg-mid June so wondering is there much going on.

Also are any of the pools heated?

Been there twice, pools are lovely and lazy river is good fun. My girls don't like cold pools and I don't remember any complaints. Friends went too and loved it.

_Brian wrote: »
    Been there twice, pools are lovely and lazy river is good fun. My girls don't like cold pools and I don't remember any complaints. Friends went too and loved it.

Yes I can't seem to find answers about pools in Sequoia. Esp in June as it can be chilly and overcast at times. Heated pool in Clarys this year was a huge plus for us.

Apologies for the wall of text, but I said i'd put together my thoughts on Camping La Sirene while it was still fresh in my mind.

My initial thoughts on the camp were hugely positive, but over the course of our stay, different aspects that I found less appealing emerged.

First – the negative:
    We booked 3 bed aspect for the 1st week of our trip and a 2 bed esprit for the second week.

The aspect is a lovely, modern mobile with a nice deck, and a few extras that amount to rattan furniture on the fully covered deck, a slightly bigger double bed, a dishwasher and a flatscreen tv and dvd player that you can plug your laptop into. While certainly nice, Theres no way I’d pay what they’re asking for this again. The esprit we had the second week served the purpose equally as well.

On the pitches – there's a massive variation in size and standard, some people were literally coming out their front door onto the main access road of the camp, with not so much as a strip of grass to separate them. Whereas other people had a lovely lawn and a fence around it. (worth noting that a better mobile home does not equate to a better pitch) our 2 bedroom one was in a secluded cul-de sac, while several of the bigger ones were jammed up against each other or against hedges.

Speaking of main roads, this camp was by far and away the busiest I’ve been to in terms of road traffic, and it also suffers from having a pretty poor traffic management setup. There are two entrances / exits to the camp – during the day, one of them is closed to exits, so all traffic leaving has to pass down through the main drag. The reason the exit is closed is because another main route passes outside the entrance to the pool and shops. At night, the other entrance is closed and all traffic has to negotiate the busiest area of the camp – up through the main pedestrian area! I found it pretty stressful trying to get in and out through the throngs. All the roads around the camp are very narrow and meeting an oncoming vehicle is always an exercise in contration with the high volumes of pedestrians around who are completely oblivious.

Wi-fi – absolutely brutal, could hardly download emails, whatapp pictures or update apps. Tested it across a variety of devices and locations. Don’t waste your money on it.

There seems to be a sufficient enough Irish contingent visiting the camp that they also hold an Irish evening with songs like home – grand if you’re into it, but TBH, when I travel I like to get away from stuff I can have at home.

Onto the positive
    The crown Jewel is the swimming complex, lots of pools, in mint condition, with plenty of lifeguards. Loads and loads of stuff for younger kids, including their own heated area with mini slides and a splashpark. For older kids, there’s plenty for them to do also with slides dotted all over the place. The whole place is so big, that even when it was at its busiest, there was always room. The Beach restaurant serves excellent food (with a price to match – burger and fries is about €13, kids meal €9.
    The playground areas were by far and away the best I’ve seen in any campsite, with a huge variety of stuff I’d not seen anywhere else, such as a large suspended trampoline area and a unique enclosed climbing frame with a series of balance challenges – our youngest is a very energetic 3 year old, and some of it was just a little too big for her, but my 6 year old couldn’t get enough of it.
    There are 2 options for eating out on site – The Takeaway also serves reasonably priced food that we found to be of good quality overall and pretty reasonably priced and serves pretty much what you’d expect, pizzas, moules frites, etc – about €60 for 2 adults and 2 kids with desserts. The Sirene Beach restaurant is very much a cut above, Lamb shanks, sea bream, steak etc – and has a pricetag to match, about 20€ upwards for a main course and 10€ for starters / desserts. Prices for alcohol is slightly more expensive than home, pint of Amstel is €5. Unusually enough, the bars stock Magners cider

The shop on site is very well stocked and was pretty reasonable overall in my opinion, we still made the 5 minute trip up the road to intermarche / aldi to do a full shop for the fortnight. One point worth making about the shops – one shop sells swim rings / arm bands and a selection of the usual giant inflatable tyres, sharks etc – These larger ones are not allowed in the pool – so don’t waste money on them.

The evening entertainment was also on another level to what I’d experienced on other sites, There was a full production of the musicals ‘chicago’ and ‘mama mia’ which were really really good, but they were a bit advanced for younger kids. The shows also don’t typically start till about 9:45 which is skewing a little late when you’ve got 2 kids who are thoroughly worn out from their days activities. Nightlife is quite lively in this camp and there was one bar that stayed open till 2am and had plenty attendance from the older teens. The camp also maintains a pretty visible security presence in the evenings, 4 or 5 personnel are dotted around the various entrances, bars and restaurants.

So to summarise,

Would I go back again – yes, definitely, but I’d do a bit more research and try and get a better pitch / location than what we had, I might also skip it for a year or two until my kids are a little older as I think they’ll really get the full value out of it then.

On the Drive from Roscoff to Perpignan / Argeles Sur Mer – I’d probably not do this again, I tallied up the figures last night, and I could have flown to Girona Airport in spain (avoiding the French Air traffic strikes) and hired a car to drive north to the camp for a fair bit less than what the tolls, diesel and time spent travelling were. Its a campsite where theres no real point in hiring a bike IMO, everything is very close together and there a Land train that goes into town and the beach on the hour.

Hi

I've attached a map of La Sirene, can you advise which areas would be quietest
    Thanks

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Lifestyle have the following 2 bed mobiles available - shown on map attached.

What's it like up on the right near that smaller playground ? It's kinda the middle rows of the site.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭alowe

Quick q as I can't remember ... do you still get the 10% discount if booking using tesco clubcard vouchers? If I remember, you have to ring and book over the phone, pay your €100 deposit and then pay the remainder with vouchers, but you did get the 10% discount?

thanks

Edit: Found the answer on previous thread, and yes you do get the 10% discount, but have to book over phone :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

aquarius10 wrote: »
    image.jpeg

Lifestyle have the following 2 bed mobiles available - shown on map attached.

What's it like up on the right near that smaller playground ? It's kinda the middle rows of the site.

Thanks
    Hi were in 645 which would be NW on the first pic right beside the playground. It was a 5 min walk to the pools but it really suited us to be a little away from the centre.We had a 3bed emerald but going for the platinium next june as were going for 3 weeks. I asked lifestyle to show me one and I was really impressed with it buckets of room. We prefered to be away from the main entrance but its not really an issue.

Thanks for that, was thinking of either 457 or 458 also next to the playground near where you are.

Or else there are 1 or 2 sites in a cul de sac across from the pool, sites 108 or 109.

I'm waiting for Lifystyle to ring me back as to which are still available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

When do you guys think is the best time to book the boat / accommodation? I have booked for the last 4 years and I never find it beneficial financially to book the accommodation early (with Canvas and Eurocamp anyway). I booked for this years trip (July 10th for 12 nights) in April and I paid €1600 for a 3 bed Espace. The same for 2017 is coming in at €2000, even with Eurocamps early booking discount of 25%! I appreciate some sites are more popular than others so it would possibly be advisable to book early to ensure availability but with others it may be best to play the waiting game. I actually checked the price of this years trip a week before I went and it came down to €1300!
    I sailed with Brittany this year which I was most impressed with, again booked in April and was very lucky to get the dates so I would not leave that as late next year, I Paid €1350. Same trip next year currently €1250 ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I'd advise you sign-up to the newsletter here to receive any/all info and offers.
    It was last October that I received my e-mail telling me about a 10% discount offer. I also opted for flexibility option which came in real handy as I changed my ferry a few times.

Hope that helps,
    kerry4sam

I agree Blazing Saddler, this yr I booked two weeks before we sailed. 4th June with IF and 8 nights on Le Clarys Plage for €1250. €733 of that was the ferry. Same 2 weeks for next yr is coming in at €950 for boat alone. Granted our youngest will be 4 by then (paying for 4 kids) and It's with BF (IF is dearer). 7 years ago I was about to pay €1400 for BF in July and a page popped up saying kids travel for free. I clicked on it and a fresh page popped up. I had to fill all fields again and bingo the price dropped to circa€1000. Think I'll wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Average Runner - will they have the 10% Discount do you think ? I have contacted them and they are saying that no decision has been made in relation to any early booking discounts.

We are ready to book as we have our dates worked out but I am dithering (hoping for a discount!) and Husband just wants me to book it.

There is always a 10% sale around Nov/Dec. But Irish ferries do have next year sailing times up early this year!

I'm looking at booking for next summer also (returning to Siblu La Reserve) and I'm thinking the reduction in the value of Sterling Vs the Euro is going to create some opportunities to avail of discounts on either the campsite itself or the ferrys or both but right now the dates I'm looking at for the ferries (Dep Fri Jul 14th Ret Fri Aug 4th) for 3 adults, 1 child and a 4X4 with a roofbox + a 3 star 4 berth cabin are coming in at €1,264 made up of Irish Ferries to Roscoff €640 and Stena from Cherbourg to Rosslare €604.

I really miss the cheap LD Lines ferry to St Nazaire for less than €300 one way including a cabin :(

Think I'm going to hold off at least until the 10% early booking discount becomes available. That's €120!!

It cost us 1600 on the ferry this year, left on July 1st and got boat back on 16th so in Ireland on the Sunday. We did go for the 5 star cabin as that more spacious for the kids and two double beds.

Next year it will cost 1800 after 10% discount because our 3 year old will be 4.

But think we will fly and rent a car, as youngest not the best at travelling and we have enough wine now for a few years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Charliebull

It cost us 1600 on the ferry this year, left on July 1st and got boat back on 16th so in Ireland on the Sunday. We did go for the 5 star cabin as that more spacious for the kids and two double beds.

Next year it will cost 1800 after 10% discount because our 3 year old will be 4.

But think we will fly and rent a car, as youngest not the best at travelling and we have enough wine now for a few years :)

was that irish ferries

paid €1500 for 3 star 4 bed with no window , 3 kids and 1 under 3

• Advertisement

was that irish ferries

paid €1500 for 3 star 4 bed with no window , 3 kids and 1 under 3

Yeah, so it was 2 adults, 5 year old and 3 year old. Because the youngest hits 4, its goes to 1800!

Advertisement