Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭webpal

Eurocamp Ireland 2017 Early Booking Offer - Save Up To 30%

Total Holiday Duration

Nights On Parc: 3 - 10 Nights 11 - 21 Nights

1 - 22 April 10% 15%

14 Jul - 27 Aug 10% 15%

All Other Dates 25% 30%

use code 17RISC01

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

FYI if you're sailing on the Pont Avon with Brittany Ferries use your debit or credit cards to pay for food and drinks and ask to pay in Sterling. They must have set a fixed FX rate to the Euro at the start of the year as there is now a difference of up to 20% ie a pint of beer costs £3.30 or €4.70, you choose which currency you want to pay in. At curent exchange rates £3.30 costs €3.92 so pay in Sterling and let your bank convert it to Euros. Even if they charge you €4.10 you're still saving €0.60 or 15% which isn't much but when feeding a family for dinner and breakfast plus a few bevvies a discount of 15% can cone in handy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,568 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Anyone travel with Stenna Line Rosslare to Cherbourg with a caravan recently ?? Was wondering about the boarding process with a caravan on the Stenna Horizon ??

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

_Brian wrote: »
    Anyone travel with Stenna Line Rosslare to Cherbourg with a caravan recently ?? Was wondering about the boarding process with a caravan on the Stenna Horizon ??

Hi. I didn't but saw another guy with a caravan backing it on. There is no drive on drive off so it's really the only way as you couldn't turn.

Trucks do the same. Hilarious on way back one of the truck drivers couldn't back his truck. Staff were getting really narky with him. Other drivers had no problem.

christy02 wrote: »
    Hi. I didn't but saw another guy with a caravan backing it on. There is no drive on drive off so it's really the only way as you couldn't turn.

Trucks do the same. Hilarious on way back one of the truck drivers couldn't back his truck. Staff were getting really narky with him. Other drivers had no problem.

Thanks.
    No pressure so 😱

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭manshay

Irish ferries are offering a 15% discount on Summer 2017 sailing until 31st August.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

nirvana78 wrote: »
    This to do: Definitely revisit Puy De Fou, amazing day out

this place is amazing.The kids loved it even though thy couldn't understand the french.
    If you go definitely go to the evening show . wow

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭alowe

manshay wrote: »
    Irish ferries are offering a 15% discount on Summer 2017 sailing until 31st August.

Just rang and no discount on France sailings :-( she didn't know anything about discount.

alowe wrote: »
    Just rang and no discount on France sailings :-( she didn't know anything about discount.

I had an email from them, with a click through, which does discount the fares.

Maybe it's not an offer for all, apologies if so. Don't know why I got it.

We are 2 adults and 3 children.
    Irish ferries will allow us to book a 2 star 4 berth for 5 but not a Premium suite or 5 star suite. If we pick the suites we must book a reserved seat as well?
    It makes no sense, there is so much extra space in the suites

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 St1letto

Brian, I travelled on the horizon recently with a caravan.
    It was fine getting it on and off, no reversing! You do a u-turn inside the ship to get back off, but there was plenty of room to do so even with my 24ft van.
    You'll be one of the last on, but one of the first off which is nice.
    The ramp's quite steep so let the person in front get to the top before you go as you don't want to have to stop on it.
    You'll have no bother, enjoy your holiday!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 gummiebear

Thanks for letting us know. That brings it back to this year pricing. I hope BF will do the same. Found the drive long from roslare to cork this year.

St1letto wrote: »
    Brian, I travelled on the horizon recently with a caravan.
    It was fine getting it on and off, no reversing! You do a u-turn inside the ship to get back off, but there was plenty of room to do so even with my 24ft van.
    You'll be one of the last on, but one of the first off which is nice.
    The ramp's quite steep so let the person in front get to the top before you go as you don't want to have to stop on it.
    You'll have no bother, enjoy your holiday!

That's good to know, I'm good at reversing but just changed my jeep and this will be the first trip it goes on with the caravan. Must be good space on the deck to do a u turn with the caravan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 St1letto

Yes, you've effectively the full width of the boat to turn in.
    The boat is very small compared to the oscar wilde or the pont aven so if you've kids and a cabin a couple of DVDs and some means to play them will keep them entertained (for a while!). You'll need a two pin adaptor for the plugs.
    The grub is expensive and not great, typical ferry fare, I saw people taking food on board in electric cool boxes which is something I'll consider doing in future.
    It's a grand wee boat!

Possibly my last contribution to this years "France Campsite" thread.

We arrived back into Cork this morning on the Pont Avon and because we had a good sleep we didn't get time for breakfast so decided we'd pull in somewhere once on the road. As we were heading for Dublin and had been away for three weeks we had a bit of a gra for a fry up. On total spec we decided to chance Waterglasshill and boy did we get lucky. Right bang in the middle of the main street is a diner/take away called Johnny's which is a nice sit down cafe doing traditional breakfasts. Great quality food, super coffee, efficient/friendly service and excellent value for money. In and out in 35 minutes, €30 fed four of us and we were hungry!!

If you're starting a long journey off the Pont Avon heading up the M8 and want to get a decent breakfast don't pass this spot - https://goo.gl/maps/Pei91hmUUR62

Talk to you all over on the 2017 thread Susan started a few weeks ago!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Possibly my last contribution to this years "France Campsite" thread.

We arrived back into Cork this morning on the Pont Avon and because we had a good sleep we didn't get time for breakfast so decided we'd pull in somewhere once on the road. As we were heading for Dublin and had been away for three weeks we had a bit of a gra for a fry up. On total spec we decided to chance Waterglasshill and boy did we get lucky. Right bang in the middle of the main street is a diner/take away called Johnny's which is a nice sit down cafe doing traditional breakfasts. Great quality food, super coffee, efficient/friendly service and excellent value for money. In and out in 35 minutes, €30 fed four of us and we were hungry!!

If you're starting a long journey off the Pont Avon heading up the M8 and want to get a decent breakfast don't pass this spot - https://goo.gl/maps/Pei91hmUUR62

Talk to you all over on the 2017 thread Susan started a few weeks ago!!

Wish we'd have done the same 2 weeks ago!, got up a little late on the Pont Avon, rushed the breakfast and didn't enjoy it one bit! Sausages tasted like rubber! (This could have had something to do with us almost being the last to be served)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

on a similar note - if you're sailing into Rosslare, don't bother getting breakfast on the boat, wait and go to Lily's Cafe which is beside SuperValu in Rosslare Harbour. Great breakfast, much better and cheaper than the ferry and while your eating all the ferry traffic is dispersing ahead of you.

loyatemu wrote: »
    on a similar note - if you're sailing into Rosslare, don't bother getting breakfast on the boat, wait and go to Lily's Cafe which is beside SuperValu in Rosslare Harbour. Great breakfast, much better and cheaper than the ferry and while your eating all the ferry traffic is dispersing ahead of you.

Can totally endorse this. I've eaten in Lily's a few times and if it's quick, good quality straightforward comfort food you're after you won't go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Juggler101

Last year, we booked with Euro camp very early to get all the discounts... roll on June, on our holidays, and when I looked up the current prices they had big reductions for last minute bookings, like a third less than I paid with all the early bird/loyalty discounts!!! the discounts were on practically all the sites (the ones I was familiar with anyway).Needless to say I am VERY reluctant to book an expensive Euro camp holiday this year!!

Has anybody noticed this before? I wondered was it terrorism related, that people weren't travelling

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Juggler101 wrote: »
    Last year, we booked with Euro camp very early to get all the discounts... roll on June, on our holidays, and when I looked up the current prices they had big reductions for last minute bookings, like a third less than I paid with all the early bird/loyalty discounts!!! the discounts were on practically all the sites (the ones I was familiar with anyway).Needless to say I am VERY reluctant to book an expensive Euro camp holiday this year!!

Has anybody noticed this before? I wondered was it terrorism related, that people weren't travelling
    Yes I've seen big discounts for last min bookings as well it happens most years. But would you book your travel and leave the accom to the last minute? I've use eurocamp before but switched to lifestyle hols this year who I find give much better value. I'd prefer to book the accom and be done with it and if it comes up a little cheaper then so be it. I get 5% discount from lifestyle for loyalty plus 10% if you pay in
    full on booking and I'm happy with that.

• Advertisement

I'LL look up lifestyle and compare prices. But yeah, I might end up booking the ferry and leaving accommodation til the last minute.
    Yes I've seen big discounts for last min bookings as well it happens most years. But would you book your travel and leave the accom to the last minute? I've use eurocamp before but switched to lifestyle hols this year who I find give much better value. I'd prefer to book the accom and be done with it and if it comes up a little cheaper then so be it. I get 5% discount from lifestyle for loyalty plus 10% if you pay in
    full on booking and I'm happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭yellow76

Have you a code for this please?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭yellow76

€578 for 5th June 2016 and quote of €792 for 2017. Both on Irish Ferries Oscar Wilde.

€214 more expensive :-( Even with 10%discount code if/when it comes out. Still 135ish more expensive.

Extortionate for early June imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Rang Irish Ferries today and was told that there is no confirmation of any upcoming Discount on the Ireland - France route for 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

gummiebear wrote: »
    We used Vaconsoleil 2 yrs ago in Belgium. It was sold to us by a guy in The French Holiday Centre in Cork. A really nice guy who was very knowledgeable on campsite travel but I currently can't think of his name. The only good thing about the site was the Vaconsoleil area. The mobile was fine and the inspection was strict enough at the end. The rep was very nice and seemed to have taken a shine to us. I think we paid €100 deposit, def not €300. )That's outrageous.

Rang again today and €300 confirmed. It seems like a huge amount. Should I bring my own cleaning stuff or do they provide it ?

Promotion code is FRACL1

Copied from Irish ferries ...

As a little thank you for travelling with us this year you can get an amzing 15% off when you book your ferry to France for 2017

Be first in to confirm your preferred sailing dates and cabins and pay just €100 deposit!

With the best choice of routes and the best arrival times in France we will help you get the best start to your holiday

Pay only €100 deposit - Pay balance 42 days before departure
    Choose your vessel; Oscar Wilde family friendly service from Rosslare with free Kids entertainment all summer or Epsilon Economy Class Service from Dublin.

Don’t delay. Book today. And take your time pl

PS, its still more expensive than booking last year with their 10% off!!!
    Promotion code is FRACL1

As a little thank you for travelling with us this year you can get an amzing 15% off when you book your ferry to France for 2017

Be first in to confirm your preferred sailing dates and cabins and pay just €100 deposit!

With the best choice of routes and the best arrival times in France we will help you get the best start to your holiday

Choose your vessel; Oscar Wilde family friendly service from Rosslare with free Kids entertainment all summer or Epsilon Economy Class Service from Dublin.

Promotion code is FRACL1

Hi Juggler101,

Thanks for the discount code. I just used it there and it saved me 15% (€84) on a one way Rosslare to Roscoff Friday July 14th 2017 for a 4X4 with 3 adults, 1 child and a 2 star 4 berth cabin with window. Total was €479.

The return leg from Roscoff on Fri Aug 4th with Irish Ferries was over €665 inc cabin etc after your discount had been applied and it departs three hours earlier at 18:30 and arrives one hour later at 11:00 than the Brittany Ferries Pont Avon whereas the Pont Avon (which IMO has much better value food and much better beds than the IF Oscar Wilde) was €579 inc cabin so I booked Brittany Ferries back.

Having the extra couple of hours for our journey from La reserve (just under 800km) is helpful. We left last Friday morning at 7am and pulled into Roscoff about 16:30 having stopped a couple of times along the way for food and toilet breaks etc. I wouldn't like to be under pressure to make a 17:30 boarding.

So, bottom line is I've booked my ferry for next year and all in it comes to €1,058. That's €107 less than I paid for similar dates this year.

I'll settle for that but no doubt I'll see some really good discount in a few weeks/months and be kicking myself but on the other hand at least now I don't have to keep checking prices for the next few months hoping prices come down whilst risking that they may in fact go up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭alowe

Promotion code is FRACL1

Thank you :-) Just rang again this morning, and after they've updated their system I've been able to book ferry for next June, with 15% discount, paying my €100 deposit and remainder in tesco token :-) It made the price come in closer for me on last years prices, and very happy I don't have to ferry price watch anymore.

So Thank you Juggler101 :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

I cannot get any discount code to work online in conjunction with Tesco tokens. Don't think it's possible.

But alowe, are you saying if I ring them that I can then use both together? Is there an extra charge for making a booking over the phone v's online?

Advertisement