Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 idontknowdoyou

Suitcases are rookie mistake. We use packing cubes and ikea bags with zips. The big packing cubes easily fit a weeks worth child's clothes and can be shoved into awarkard boot space.

We bring 5 bikes with and 4 bike carrier- the smallest kids bike we put in our roof box with he wheels taken off and put on top of the bike. And then squeeze soft luggage around it.

What is the food like on Brittany Ferries -Port Aven?

Post edited by idontknowdoyou on

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭rex_turner

I've always found the self service restaurant quite good and relatively reasonably priced considering there's no competition! It can get quite busy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Peckham

Agree. Food on Pont Aven definitely superior to the offerings on WB Yeats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭kindalen

The most expensive restaurant on the Pont Aven is worth a try, can get booked up quickly too. Food it is far better than Irish ferries or Stena. The Bosun, as mentioned above, is a great pre departure meal option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

After ten years of French Campsites, La Croix Du Vieux Pont x 3, Domaine Des Ormes, La Vallee, Les Mouettes, La Baume x 3 we are venturing into Spain to Castell Montgri this year. I have a feeling we’ll be back to France next year!! Happy holidays all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

We’re going to La Croix Du Vieux Pont next Saturday. Any tips for the drive from Cherbourg?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Anyone stayed in Yelloh Village La Capricieuse, in Luc sur Mer, Normandy?

Last year got very warm in Vendée and having a dog, thought it was only fair to stay up north this year, where maybe the weather might be more tolerable, hopefully not wet!

It's been years since we've done Normandy, and kids were only smallies then.

What's it called and do you pre-book in advance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭kindalen

Le Flora, and I think you need to reserve once you board the shop for that evening.

At dinner, you will be offered the full menu with the starter buffet, a main course of your choice and the cheese and dessert buffet for €42. You can also enjoy the ''Ronde des buffets'' (starter buffet and cheese and dessert buffet) at €34.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

I’m not sure I’d be much help!, it was nearly ten years ago when did it, before Google Maps with a rather unreliable Garmin Sat Nav! I just looked at the route and it is saying just over 4 and a half hours which seems quicker than when we did it. We had a bad experience in Rouen when the sat nav was trying to send us over a bridge that was no longer then and we struggled to get out of the place. The route now appears to bypass Rouen (possibly). Going through Paris is the hairiest part of the drive, again the Sat Nav let us down in tunnels around the Stade de France which hopefully won’t be an issue for you!! It took us seven hours that day but the weather was also not good.
    La Croix is probably my favourite campsite, good size without being too big, great pools, plenty to do, good village close by and the proximity to Disneyland would be the main selling point. Two of the years we went we drove in on two occasions. Took about an hour and a half but easy enough drive. Have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

if you search Facebook there is a pretty big group for La Croix. It’s a nice spot

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Just back from 2 weeks in Southern France and for anyone heading out on the Stena Vision I would recommend the unlimited buffet in the restaurant for €27. Good choice of everything from starter to dessert, plus it includes unlimited soft drinks. We thought it was great value..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,463 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Disappointed with the food on the Galicia, compared to eg Pont Aven. Service was slow, one tray counter and children's offering very poor.

No water dispensers on the ship to refill bottles so you had to buy water - joke.

Also the ship isn't really geared for kids imho. No games room or cinema, our kids had even bought coins with them for the games

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

currently over in saint jean de mont,drove down from Cherbourg on Saturday and would recommend anyone to use Waze as it gives good notice of fixed police cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Great endless beach there. Hope the weather's good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,749 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Yeah the beach is seriously impressive. Going to Clarys Plage again in a few weeks time. Very nice cycle way into the beach from there. St. Jean is a very nice spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

We used to cycle from Sol a Gogo to St JdM. Lovely cycle. Promenade in JdM is amazing.

Restaurant tip for anyone interested- slightly away from the main area but Le Scala Italian restaurant is really nice.

the beach is unreal in saint jean de mont and today when schools in France was still open it was easy to get parking and be close by,would deffo recommend it…heat today here was 33 degrees and with a 14 month old it’s not easy but air con in the car is doing its job 😄 note to others…if weather is good have air con!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

14th year this year going to Castell Montgri - Always have a ball - you might surprise yourself and book again for next year!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Just back from our 5th visit to la Sirene, while I did enjoy it, I think its possibly our last time heading back there. (just for reference, our first trips were 8 years ago, before they did the massive renovation to the arena and restaurants and we've been back several times since).

I just felt that the usual spark from the place had gone, I cant put my finger on it, but its more a combination of little things.

The entertainment felt a little underwhelming, and even though my kids are now hitting the teens, the insistence on starting the main shows late, when most kids are hitting the wall after a packed day of activities still baffles me.

The menus at the bars and restaurants have been streamlined even further, and for once, it was some of the adults in the group who struggled to work a lot of variety of eating into the 10 day trip. Prices are also hitting the point where Its breaking my goodwill ' ah shur, I'm on holidays point' - you're looking at about, 2 scoops of ice-cream is €5.90 and the equivalent of a 99 is €4.50, its €7:50 for a choice of two draught beers, and 6 for a bottle from a small selection. A straight Whiskey is €10!

Also, the place has gained massive popularity with the Irish over the years. When we first arrived, I reckon there might have been maybe 3 or 4 families besides ourselves, but now it feels like the Irish are the main demographic - to the extent that the campsite themselves are offering a shuttle bus service from the surrounding airports, which is fine, but I personally would rather go where I've less chance of meeting folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I think that you can grow out of places, and in fairness 5 trips to the same place is a fair few. The age of the kids can take the shine off some events too - there isn't that awe and wow with older kids that you'd get with up to 10 year olds… so perhaps that's what you're seeing in some ways.

Pricing is an issue - that's for sure, but that demographic has always been a factor in June (I was first in La Sirene in 1994) as many Irish decide to take their kids out of primary school early and obtain the best rates - and before it gets too hot for our Irish skin. I'd say that one-third of the campsite was Irish in mid-to late June back then.

I'd roll the dice for next year's stay. Plenty of other sites to suit the age-groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

We went for the first time at the start of June and we were immediately looking at booking again for next year.

We got bottles of beer in the supermarket and had them at the arena during the shows in the evening and most people seemed to do the same. The food options though could definitely do with some improving, in saying that though, we only had food there 2 nights as we did a bbq for the other 5 nights.

I do agree with the start times for the evening shows but we didn't have any issues with our kids hitting the wall, fortunately but I can definitely see how that would be an issue.

I would usually agree completely with the Irish thing, it seemed like 90% of the people there were Irish but it was great for our kids(10,5) as they made plenty of friends.

Would recommend this also…had it on the way over on stena vision and it was great…back and forth getting food and not feeling bad about it is great😂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Firstly, probably a long shot but has anyone travelled on the Brittanny ferries "Commodore Clipper" between Rosslare and Cherbourg, and more wondering about edibility of food than anything. Otherwise, its a basic ferry but once we have the cabin, heaps of snacks, travel kettle and kids with netflix on the ipads, we are grand. It normally runs between channel islands and GB so I'd assume grub and pints are ok, if not pricy enough.

Secondly, for those without notions and ok without all the bells and whistles, theres insane deals still available on this ferry. For instance car + 2 adults 2 kids + cabin for €502 return for 13 - 26 August . I guess they are pricing it very competitively as it was only confirmed barely a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 breakin_ball

Hi - am heading to St Jean de Mont next week and wondering if there is anywhere to watch the All Ireland hurling…
    Le Melanie and The Thistle bar come up on searches - but - both report as "Permanently Closed".

Anyone know?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Most of the campsites would show the GAA but the it might clash with the Euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭redved

We were in st jean de monte last year and the hurling was on in the bar and the big screen outside was for tour de France etc. it's nearly all Irish at the campsite

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭redved

We have just been told by Irish ferries that our ferry return leg has been brought forward by a day to the Friday from the Saturday. We have accommodations etc booked which we will now have to take the hit, nevermind the fact that the holiday has been cut short. What rights if any do we have in this situation? Not too impressed with Irish ferries right now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I think you'll have to go though travel insurance for that, I'm pretty sure the EU compensation rules only cover flights

If you're early enough the campsite might be able to give you a refund for the extra day, but if you're already checked in then I'd say you're screwed

Make sure you have an invoice from the campsite showing the daily rate so you know how much to claim

Also if you had anything booked get a receipt, you might be able to claim that too

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Advertisement