Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danfrancisco83

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Peckham

As the previous poster said, book the Flexi fare for a little bit extra. That way if prices fall closer to the time you can cancel and rebook. I've just done this for my travel next month

• Registered Users Posts: 26 breakin_ball

whats the best value way to get from Nantes Airport to Saint Jean De Monts?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 idontknowdoyou

Does this only work with Irish ferries? Brittany Ferries flexi terms seemed pretty crap if I remembered correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Peckham

Not sure about BF. But I always book Flexi with IF. Have used it on multiple occasions to change travel dates, or benefit from lower prices as I did this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

indeed, their flexi doesnt allow you to cancel for free and its even a bit vague if you can rebook on a cheaper ferry and get a rebate on the price.

on the other hand they had really good deals in advance for this summer, and only a few weeks ago they announced a new ferry for this summer with fares of only €124 each way for car and family of 2 adults 2 kids (i posted details a page or 2 back) - so with rockbottom prices like that you wont be playing games as thats as cheap as youre going to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭yiddo59

I booked Brittany Ferries on flexi terms for a round trip in late May but due to family reasons had to change dates til end of August. The August sailings were almost 100 euro cheaper. They offered me the option of a voucher for the difference or a refund to card. I took the refund and it was back in my account in a couple of days

• Registered Users Posts: 5 nofuss

The Irish Ferries prices have dropped slightly again this morning on the France route.
    We have just cancelled our flexi booking and rebooked immediately using the travel credit and saved almost €500.

Hope this helps,

N..

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I booked a flexi fare on Brittany ferries, and about a week ago I got an email asking would I like to add a food pass to my booking. I went for the large pass option which was you pay €60 for the pass and it gives you €68 worth of credit for the restaurants. When I went to pay for it, I only had to pay €28 because the overall fare had dropped slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Very unusual for Brittany ferries to reduce anything on Irish routes. Even their sale days are sold out befotevthry advertise. Been using BF before the Pont Aven arrived and every year since apart from covid year. If it were air miles, we'd have several trips earned. Unfortunately they've cut back on a lot of frills but then increase their fares.

I find their food expensive on board and they don't cater for gluten free st all. . There's a microwave in the self service area and we tend to use pot noodles and microwave dinners. Heating pasta when kids were small!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Did you have Speedy Exit on the first booking as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 nofuss

No, we didn’t have Speedy Exit on the first booking… we rebooked like for like as regards cabins etc…

Customer Service were helpful on the phone, the cancellation credit appeared within a few minutes of talking to them. We did the same last year also as price had dropped nearer the time of sailing.

Thanks to Peckham for the heads up!

We are heading to charente maritime next week and the weather doesn't look great. It's a long way to travel for drizzly overcastweather. trying not to get too disheartened

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I see a forecast for between 25 and 27 degrees and scattered thunderstorms.

Thats not the same as 24hours a day constant rain, and wind, and 15 degrees on a summers day in Ireland.

Weather forecasts on apps and whatnot are fairly stupid and they mark days as being cr@p and rainy in warm countries when the rain often is a storm in the evening after a glorious day (who how really cares that its raining when youre having dinner??), and being a thunderstorm mightn't even come because thunderstorms are very unpredictable, unlike irish weather which is normally giant swathes of rain travelling 1000s of km across the ocean which very predictably dump their load on Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭webpal

currently sitting on a sunbed in the region and can confirm weather apps not accurate. It rained all last night and is sunny now. Neither were forecast yesterday. You’ve booked and paid for it, look forward to it, don’t worry about the weather, you’ll have more sunshine than rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

Sea sickness tablets and bands at the ready for our sailing today 🤢🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭flyer_query

Great review, two questions seeing as you sailed Stena Line Vision.

1. Is there a kettle in the cabins?
    2. Can you buy cartons of milk on the ship, and if so rough cost.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

1 - No kettle, Not in our 4 birth cabin anyway but don't think there was in others (If bringing your own, There was two types of plugs, EU and IE/UK)

2- We had a 14 month with use so needed milk also,No cartons on board no,What i done was froze a 1 ltr carton of milk the evening before but by the time We got to the boat, It was cool but not frozen in the cooler bag, We done the all inclusive dinner option and it was lovely,It had a big milk thing at it, i filled to baby bottles with it, the next morning i went to the bar for milk for the wee lads breakfast and gave me a good bit for free on the weetabix.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Hi has anyone ever bought a grill like the one attached in France? I'm looking at purchasing one in a few weeks when we're over there but don't want to get stumped on gas connections etc.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Yes, I have that exact one. Bought it two years ago in one of the main supermarche's. I can't recall exactly but think that I may have just swapped out the head with one from Woodies. No major issues except that grill doesn't get all that hot if there's any sort of a breeze, so you need to use it in a sheltered place.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Thanks for that. Was looking at the Leclerc website and they've loads of them flat type grills and for alot cheaper than here. They're not easily available here either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭10-10-20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭airy fairy

We got an electric flat hot plate/grill in Eleclerc last year really cheaply, sales are usually on this month. Fantastic heat, easy to cook. Short lead, but ideal for putting on the table and cooking anything while you sit and drink Capri sun 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Buy an extension cable when you buy it and put it out on steps of decking.

Try and keep heat out of your accommodation.

We've the air fryer and electric grill going most evenings

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭suilegorma

For anyone looking for rainy day activities, we joined the library of the town where we are staying as "vacanciers". Got some English and bilingual books, plus they loan out board games too. Also have tonnes of bande desinees (comic books) that kids might like even if they have no French. We stayed at least an hour in the games room playing as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

On a tangentially related note, been camping the past few weekends (in Ireland) and using an air fryer and induction hob for cooking

Have to say it's been pretty successful so far, and can cook in the shelter of the tent porch without worrying about a flame or fumes

Also have a portable fridge freezer for keeping food fresh

Obviously I need an electric hook-up which isn't available everywhere, but I'd definitely take the electric option over gas as much as possible now

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭suilegorma

Just got one as well...so far have done sausages, pancakes, steak and a toastie on it ! Will definitely use it at home as well and probably camping in Ireland as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭yaknowski

Over in Les Charmettes at the moment. Mixed experience compared to other sites.

While these hols cost 5-7k for Irish, I guess they are fairly cheap for French so can attract all sorts.

Lots of rougher French heads on the site compared to other sites we've been on. Couple of scraps between Irish teens & French teens/parents during the week. 4 overzealous security on the bar area tonight.

Have seen a doberman, staffie, & other large breeds, on leashes but unmuzzled.

First time in 8 camping holidays that I had second thoughts of giving the kids free rein.

Lots of Irish onsite though which is great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Are you in the Siblu site in Les Mathes?

I'm heading to the other Siblu site - Bonne Anse Plage next Saturday

Advertisement