Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Does anyone know if the boutique/shop is open on the Pont Aven on the Roscoff to Cork leg? I’d imagine it’s not going to be open on the departure at 11pm but does it open the next morning? Young lad saw something in there on the way out that he wants to get on the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭yiddo59

It's definitely open in the morning arriving at Cork and I'd be surprised if it wasnt open for the departure from Roscoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Tommiekly84

Carrefour seems to have the best selection of foods for vegetarians. My wife is a vegetarian and we managed to get tofu there. All the other big supermarkets were well stocked with veggie patties and the likes. All you might get eating out is a veg burger or pizza though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭corkgirl17

Would anyone who has stayed in Le Pin Parasol in the nature and sens area mind sharing a rough guide on how much it cost for a rental? For late June. Booked the ferry for next year so just trying to decide which side to stay on. Eurocamp have some availability in the Sensations side but Yelloh don't release dates until September so trying to get an idea of prices. Thanks!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Sixtoes

Stayed a few nights at the end of June. Approx. €170 p/n for Cottage Keywest 6p 3 Bdrms 2 bthrm Premium. Overlooking the lake. Booked direct with Yelloh Village. Gas BBQ & 2 adult bikes included. The pool in the nature and sens area is like a spa. Highly recommend. Our second time there. In July/August they run a free shuttle between both pools. It’s approximately a 7-8min walk. Get there as early as you can in June before the French kids finish school. Gets a lot busier in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭corkgirl17

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Sixtoes

No worries. We booked it in Nov last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭raxy

Is it worth paying for the speedy exit? Going Dublin-Cherbourg.

Only posts on it I see are old & possibly not worth the extra.

We'll have a 5 hour drive after. Anyone been lately know how long disembarkation will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Electric

We've gotten it the last few years and would spring for it every time. On the Dublin to Cherbourg leg it's nice to get on board and relax as soon as possible.

Usually you're off in the first 20 minutes. The main advantage is getting through passport control, as this can be very, very slow.

This year we were off and through passport control in just 15 minutes. It meant we got to our campsite in time for an evening swim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,486 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Definitely worth it if you have a long drive. You're also first on so you can get settled and grab a decent spot in the main area of the ferry before everyone else. Makes a massive difference getting through passport control because you can be well over an hour queueing if you're one of the last to board.

We got the ferry on Friday to Cherbourg and it departed over an hour late. That meant it was 12.15 French time when we docked in Cherbourg but we were through passport control and on our way by 12.35. Just as well because we arrived in our campsite at 8.30 last night and that included 90mins of stopovers to charge the car/grab a bite to eat. Long long day but worth it because the campsite is absolutely lovely (Bonne Anse Plage)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 idontknowdoyou

FYI, my partner got bitten dreadfully by bed bugs on britany ferries. We had separate cabins, me and kids ok. He's destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭bren2002

Down voting this one

Last Saturday afternoon, the Alma car park was rammed. Easily queued for 30 mins to get a spot.

It's labyrinthine too to get around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

We never had this issue

Traveling on them for years

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭fits

easy happen with a lot of travellers passing through. Hot wash everything! Or dump. You don’t want to bring those critters home

• Registered Users Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Yeah I agree, bad luck can unfortunately strike anytime

Not much condolences to someone dealing with a bad case of bed bug bites, hope they recover soon and enjoy their holiday

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

sorry to hear that. We breezed through. But it was a Sunday . . The park and playground killed a good hour before getting back in the road south

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

We've used it for 5 years and have never had an issue with it.

If there was that much of a queue would you not just leave it and stop again at the next one, rather than waste 30 mins trying to park? There's McDonalds' everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Could it have been unlucky timing thanks to the new Minions film coming out last weekend? At our nearest Multiplex they had a screening starting every 15minutes at one stage of Saturday afternoon, with one showing even in Ukranian!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭10-10-20

The problem is that the Alma is all-things to all-people - it serves as a food stop, fuel and first general experience of France - all right alongside the motorway. It's also the largest shopping center chock-full of amenities in Rennes; so yes, it will be busy of an afternoon in Summer.

I'm not a massive fan of McDonalds, but it serves a purpose when in need of refreshments and a break while on a long drive. Local food choices can be a lot more limited in that respect and I've found ourselves splitting up the family over two cafe's to suit our tastes.

If you want something a little more sedentary than Alma en-route from Roscoff (N12), then try the McDonalds' in Bedee which has fuel and a E.Leclerc beside it (If arriving on the 07:00 Brittany Ferries it should be open by the time you get to it, even on a Sunday!), or alternately the McDonalds in Liffre if traveling from Cherbourg on the A84.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭webpal

+1 for Liffré, it’s just off exit 27 and has an intermarche so you can stock up on some basics for when you arrive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Charliebull

back last week from Pin Parasol, second time there and as always a great campsite. We would highly recommend the place to the poster enquiring above. We stayed on the Sensations side but not really an issue as you can go between both very easily.

The Super U in Bretollognes Sur Mer is very hand and has everything.

The main Bar has been done up and is now showing GAA matches. The amount of Irish on site this year has doubled I would say, but overall a great experience

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Thinking about La Sirene next year, seen a few comments on this above. 3 kids 16, 13 10.

was thinking of flying into Girona and driving

heard a few negative comments about traffic on site

any further comments would be appreciated

Of course the Alma was busy. It was Saturday afternoon and the day before Bastille Day. Place would have been nuts. When we stopped to charge at the Novotel last year, I took the wrong exit from the roundabout and ended up having to go through the main carpark. Jesus, it was torture. Place was rammed.

For those heading down from Rennes in the direction of Nantes and further south, the McDonalds at Bain de Bretagne is a good place to stop. Decent play area there for the little ones to stretch their legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Well worth it, great site and the kids are at ideal ages for that site. It can be a little busy alright and you should (if possible) get a plot nearer the rear or just off the main ring-road.

Girona and hire-car is a fine option, you'll appreciate the option of having a car as I have met others who even with availability of the little train and local busses, didn't have one and regretted it.

I've popped other info about the campsite in this thread in the past, have a look back or search for "Blue Bear"

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%253Aboards.ie+%22blue+bear%22+france

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭peter4918

how did you find it with no Sun loungers by the pool and having to lie on the grass?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭History Queen

Only at the tentative stage of looking at a holiday for next year and I'm already lost. We have never been to France or on a Ferry. We have three kids, will be 7, 4 and 2 next summer. I'm a secondary school teacher so can only travel during school holidays. Would love to go the first week or two in June. Any and all recommendations welcomed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Haven't experienced this myself but the more I hear about it, the more I think it's a decent idea.

Advertisement