Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

1371372373374375377»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,803 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Don't mind me asking but did you have to ask Siblu specifically about this site for next year's prices as their website is only active up until 2024?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,984 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

It's a nice site. Only a couple of slides, if that's important but you have full access to Le Bois Masson, 250 yards up the road which has a few more, much nicer bar and a fine restaurant. They are sister sites and reasonanly big. Check-in on a Saturday is an absolute DISASTER - be prepared to wait a couple of hours if that is your arrival day. Fine location, big supermarkets 5 minutes drive away. The beach in St. Jean de Monts is as good as you get anywhere, probably one of my favourites. Not too long a spin from Roscoff either, 4 hrs 15 mins approx.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Just home from here.

Pool area is unbelievable- 3 separate tower slides+ lazy river, wave pool, indoor pool, kids pools and smaller slides. Found the surrounding area not as good as our first week further south in Camping Cote D’Argent (Hourtin)- but each campsite will have its own highlights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭shanec1928

ring the specific site and make a booking over the phone. It’s €50 deposit with siblu. Have the site map open if you want to pick your pitch or know where it will be on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Yes, I emailed to find out when the bookings opened and they replied to say they are open now. I might ring them tomorrow as while the price looks great its not clear what's included

• Advertisement

What site did you use in the Dordogne and can you recommend it? My wife and I are looking at that area of France as we've never been there before and will be using it mainly as a base for touring around. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,558 ✭✭✭✭fits

we have used two lovely sites in Dordogne and I’d recommend both. They aren’t large campsites and don’t have slides etc. one of our children has special needs so we look for places that are super relaxed. We rented a safari tent in lestaubiere and a mobile home in maissoneuve.

1.camping lestaubiere near Bergerac. Run by a French family. Beautiful swimming pool and activities for children. Very friendly vibe on this site. Lots of Dutch clientele. On top of a hill so you have to drive to get anywhere. Lovely area and I really like Bergerac

2. Camping Maissoneuve near Castelnaud La Chapelle also run by a French family. Beautiful open site on the banks of river Ceou. Can swim in pool and river. Have a band on Thursday nights. No organised kids activities. Can cycle or walk to castelnaud. Hiking trailhead also nearby. Less friendly than lestaubiere but very convenient in terms of lots to do without getting into car. Also mainly Dutch clientele.

I’d go back to either.

Appreciate that. We've passed our time for bringing children with us and so lack of play amenities etc won't upset us at all. Relaxing in beautiful locations in good weather is what appeals to us now. Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,558 ✭✭✭✭fits

lestaubiere had lots of older couples in it when we were there early last July. Really lovely vibe. Mostly tourers and tents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Exactly what Shamobuc said above, Stayed here for a week (le bois dormant) in June and could not fault it at all going with a 14 month old. Mobile homes are modern but can get very warm in the day so maybe bring your own fan or get one with air con if in the depts of summer.

Laundry on site aswel with a small shop - Speaking with other irish they found that the kids club was very french and at the time didn't cater for non french speaking people as much but that was when french schools where still on so might be different during the summer.

Bar and restaurant was good but we said why go to the bar and spend €5 a pint when we had our own drinks in the mobile and cheaper from the supermarket.

Just small things - The pool closes every day at 12.30 - 2 for a siesta(Misses wanted to stay all day every day),That can be a bit of a pain - As ShamoBuc mentioned about the check in…Our boar got into cherbourg at 1pm and stopped along the way but got to the site at 7(When reception was closed),But they had out key in the box and they give you the pin for the box in a email, Next morning i went to reception to give a deposit and get wristbands for the week for all so prob best to arrive late and do all the next day.

We didn't bother going across the road to the sister site as we had everything we needed.

The beach also in SJDM is lovely…If bringing a car bring stuff for the beach…We brought camping cars and picnic sheet and was great…Parking was easy got the day we were there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

I tried looking but the search function is awful.
    looking for recommendations for Île de Ré , July . Do people typically stay on the island or do day trips ?

Tks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Use Google to search boards like this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%253Aboards.ie+ile+de+re+france

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Peckham

Both, I'd say.

We did a day trip there this year, but would love to go back for a longer visit. Spent day on Île de Ré, and then into La Rochelle for the evening for a wander around and dinner before the hour or so drive back to our campsite.

In addition to ferry, it deems feasible to fly to La Rochelle then taxi to campsite and rely on rented bikes for getting around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

thanks ! Ferry booked already 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

We just spent 6 days in camping municipal le remondeau with the caravan......a 3 star place. We were sad leaving, had a great time. Access to the beach was perfect and a really nice town close by made it. Handy shop near too. The cycling on the island is fantastic and as above an evening in la Rochelle is great. St Martin is another beautiful town to visit there.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭murt101

Post edited by murt101 at

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭murt101

We stayed in St Avit Loisirs, only place we've ever gone back to twice. Excellent site, great pools/slides/kids clubs and a great base to explore the region.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Île D'Oloron is much nicer in my opinion

Fresh oysters farms everywhere, you can ditch the car for a week it's so flat and just cycle everywhere with loads of paths.

Lovely beaches and great markets

Advertisement