Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

1374375376377378380»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭Peckham

We stayed in Pontorson for 1 night on way to Vendee this year. Very close to Mont Saint-Michel too, so was able to visit there for a few hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭flyer_query

Thanks to those who replied to the above, still haven't found the ideal camp so if any other readers have any ideas appreciate it.

Other posters have posted similar questions over the last few pages and from research the area between Nantes and la Rochelle has loads of ideal options but 1 hr south of La Rochelle does not seem to have the same options (english kids club, some Irish), I am getting the feeling that factors like the swamp area (mosquitos) and once you are below La Rochelle people will generally fly rather than ferry and therefore will just further south limit the demand and therefore the options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭10-10-20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Bayeaux, Caen, Mont St Michel or even Fougères.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭spuddy

We've done Mont St Michel & Fougeres over the years. Both are both just off the A84, handy when coming from Vendee, and roughly 2 hrs from Cherbourg.

Mont St Michel is the more dramatic choice, if you've not done it before, it is well worth the visit. Just make sure you have enough time to enjoy it (you've got to take a shuttlebus out/back from the carpark these days). Fougeres is lovely spot, not too big, has an amazing castle, and I'd say is probably the better choice if you're on a tighter schedule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Schrodingercat

Just to give another opinion on this, we were in Sequoia this year for the last 2 weeks of July, and had no issues. We were worried when we read the reviews, but bought Mosquito bracelets, that we wore most (but forgot some ) days. I have heard some people are more attractive to Mosquitos. We may have been lucky.

Really like the site. Good pool. Restaurant and Pizzeria were good. Good playgrounds .Kids club was in French, but translated for English speaking kids. Mostly French , with a bunch of English, Dutch and Irish. Quiz and Kids disco each evening, and then some other show.

Its about a 10 minute drive to a beach, and île d'Oléron is a short drive as well.

We would have no problems going back to it or recommending it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Schrodingercat

On Irish ferries if you lift the mattress there is a guard rail you can fold up to stop falling out of the bunk . 100% on the top ones anyway. We didn't check the bottom ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Looking into a few places to bring the kids and came across la recredes theme park. Has anyone gone there, we have a 4 and 6 year old. Also if tis good has anyone stayed in the campsite would really look into staying there if it was good. The prices are great

This one hadn't crossed my radar but it does look good so thanks. I've searched this thread and reviews over the years look good with great access to beach and cycle path as well as a nice village within walking distance being big pluses.

Anyone visit it in 2024 and able to give a more up to date review? Thinking about the kids camps (english?), are there many Irish (for kids to meet) and whats the pool look like (only downside I can see is no indoor pool for the wet days and slides maybe limited as well as some trip advisor feedback about loungers being scarce).

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Beaufort Boy

We were there last year and I'd go back, great value. Loads of Irish there in late June/early July, plenty for the kids to do at night (play soccer or volleyball, bug their parents for change to play games in the arcade etc.) Not sure about the kids' clubs, ours didn't go. Nighttime entertainment wasn't great, but it was an easy cycle to the village where you could go for a swim and have churros and beer afterwards on the beach. One thing about the pool, it's shaped like a cone in that it's shallow around the side and deep in the middle, so you'd need to mind your kids in there if they're small. Slides are grand, ours liked them. The site itself is really relaxed, and you can cycle on dedicated paths to Indian Forest adventure park, great way to spend an afternoon. Pick a cabin down near the sea, some of them have big gardens. We were in 106 I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Beaches there range from wet'n'wild at the Atlantic coast 3.2kms away just beyond the lighthouse (Côté Sauvage), to very calm and idyllic 4.4kms away (Plage des Pins de Cordoua). All easily accessible by bike.

We were there this year with two other families from the middle to end of July. Hardly any Irish people there (maybe another 3 families and maybe 3 British families).

Our kids hung around with the other two families' kids. They didn't bother going to the kids camps because, being honest, they looked shite with the kids standing around most of the time as the animation team explained everything and nauseam.

Pool is very nice. They have dedicated roped-off lanes if you want to do lengths. Slides are good and are supervised so they don't get too manic.

Evening entertainment is alright. I loved the whole bar area though. Bar staff were quick and it's nice to sit outside and watch the world go by. Games room was quite good too. A little market is also set up twice a week near the bar/pool area so some vendors can come in and sell the usual tourist stuff ranging from saucisson to t-shirts and "jewellery".

We loved that we could pick our mobile home and they were a big step up from the Eurocamp ones. Lovely decking and spacious with a proper awning over the decking for when it rains.

Loungers weren't scarce when we were there, provided you don't head down at 3pm. It usually gets busy by 12, eases off at lunchtime and then gets busier later in the afternoon before easing off around 5.

Some lovely walks and cycle paths in the area which we loved and Royan and La Rochelle are two nice day trips. Luna Park is also great for the amusement rides and it's 5mins drive away.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Hi folks. I've skimmed the last hundred pages or so, and I don't think I've seen this mentioned. Is it possible to get a babysitter for an evening through these sites? Specifically, we've booked Le Littoral through Sandaya.

I've never seen babysitting facilities in any of the campsites we've been in. The closest was a sort of evening kids club in La Garangeoire where you could check the kids in for a couple of hours

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Thanks. I have vague memories of being babysat at various camp sites back in the late eighties, early nineties, but maybe modern liability and vetting requirements have made that too much hassle for the sites. Would have thought there'd be demand for it all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭dzer2

Used to get the girls working in the kids club to do it

hey, would you mind sharing a review of this site, it’s on our short list. Was it good? Been to Sandaya in France and found them good.

Appologies to others, a little off topic as this is a Spain site

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,925 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I’ve been meaning to post about our trip on here but haven’t had a chance since we got back 🤣 I really enjoyed the site. I was there back in the late 90s before it was a Sandaya site and I thought it would be nice to take my own kids there for a bit of nostalgia. We’ve booked for next summer as well.

The site is well organised and nicely laid out, from what I experienced. We stayed in one of the “colours” mobiles and we were happy with it. It had air con, which we definitely made use of, and both bedrooms were en-suite which was handy too. Kitchen/living area was quite compact but we didn’t really sit indoors, it was mostly on the deck outside, which was very pleasant. Im not sure what the kitchen would be like to cook in - we ate dinners out.

The supermarket on site was great, I was expecting to be absolutely gouged in it but it’s the same price as others off the site. The snack bar was pricey enough though, we got lunch there on our first day and were shocked at the price of it. The Pals area in general does seem to be pricey for Spain though. The restaurant was very nice, we ate there twice and both times really enjoyed it.

I can’t comment on the evening entertainments because we didn’t end up going to any of them, but they sounded good fun. The pool area was very nice and they are very strict about not letting people reserve sun beds, which was great! We had no problem getting sun beds when we went, and there’s also a large grass area that you can put your towels so if it’s really busy that’s also an option.

If there’s anything else you’d like to know, ask away and hopefully I can answer 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Hi, sailing to.Bilbao planning to spend a.week there in a campsite and then a week in mid france before cherhourg home

Any recommendations on campsites near bilbao and the secondly, halfway to cherbourg?

Thanks

Advertisement