Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Just a heads up for those heading to/from Rosslare -

"Issued by: Wexford County Council
    Alert Date: 02/09/2016
    MapAlerter Category: Road Alert
    Message: Major Roadworks Drinagh Roundabout to Whitestown. 9pm to 6am Monday to Friday. 5th Sept. to 16th Sept. Stop Go Traffic Management. Expect some delays"

In reality expect a long delay at peak times

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Safrongirl

Sorry all have checked through the last few posts but what the phone number to book with IF - want to use the discount and Tesco vouchers .

Also has anyone been to La Garangeoir in Vendee ? Think I have narrowed down my sites to 3 now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Safrongirl wrote: »
    Sorry all have checked through the last few posts but what the phone number to book with IF - want to use the discount and Tesco vouchers .

Also has anyone been to La Garangeoir in Vendee ? Think I have narrowed down my sites to 3 now

Which other 2 Sites are you considering? For comparison.

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Which other 2 Sites are you considering? For comparison.

I also was looking at La Littoral& camping chaponnet brem sur mer

Safrongirl - 2 of my friends have been to La Garangeoire. One loves it and returns every year. She goes with Eurocamp and they have 2 small kids. They stay on the Site for pretty much the entire holiday. The second didn't really like it and found it too big and too busy with lots of Irish families. She also thought that the Pool area was a lot smaller in reality than came across in the photos especially for so many people. The Site is also in the middle of the countryside and you need to drive to go anywhere at all.

Had a quick look at La Littoral online. It is right beside the beach which depending on your own priorities would be a big plus.

Have you had a look at all the Sites on Tripadvisor ?

We did not know anyone who had been to the two Campsites we chose for Summer 2016 (and again for 2017) but I have read all the reviews as well as the reviews on the Eurocamp website to give me a better idea of whether or not the Sites would suit our needs as a family.

• Advertisement

thansk for the info Susan,
    Ideally we dont want a Eurocamp site - we bring our own tent and like independant sites so I think I can now rule out la Grangeoire - I dont like very big sites and hate when they are really busy.
    Checked the above sites on tripadvisor and all have great reviews - makes it even harder now ???
    back to the drawing board for me then !

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerd4

Anyone know if Irish Ferries have stopped the discounts? Ive done the same trip twice, once with the code and once without and Im getting the same price? The one I used the code on states discount applied at the bottom?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Juggler101

mikerd4 wrote: »
    Anyone know if Irish Ferries have stopped the discounts? Ive done the same trip twice, once with the code and once without and Im getting the same price? The one I used the code on states discount applied at the bottom?

I think Irish ferries code finished 30 Aug. And Stena could be finished Sept 14... I'm sure there will be another discount later in the autumn though. I have a feeling they do another discount around the time of the ploughing championships. Maybe give them a call and ask, often they will give you some indication.

yea I tried it the other day and same was heppening me too - no sign of a discount even though it was saying discount applied

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Safrongirl wrote: »
    yea I tried it the other day and same was heppening me too - no sign of a discount even though it was saying discount applied

There is a 15% discount now instead

• Advertisement

There is a 15% discount now instead

The previous discount was 15% for Irish Ferries. Do you have a code for a new discount?

Juggler101 wrote: »
    The previous discount was 15% for Irish Ferries. Do you have a code for a new discount?

FRISA16

It pops up in the promo box for you.You should also see this:

ALL taxes and port charges included!
    Discount Applied: 20% OFF 2016

FRISA16

It pops up in the promo box for you.You should also see this:

ALL taxes and port charges included!
    Discount Applied: 20% OFF 2016

Did it actually give you a discount for 2017? I think they're trying to get rid of places on their 2016 ferries at the moment as well.

Did it actually give you a discount for 2017? I think they're trying to get rid of places on their 2016 ferries at the moment as well.

Well the price was for June 30th 2017 and returning July 15 2017

Well the price was for June 30th 2017 and returning July 15 2017

I can't see any discount applied for those dates unfortunately. They automatically put in that code, but I don't think it's doing anything for your dates. Their home page says:
    "20% of our motorist fares between Britain & Ireland and Rosslare & France. Travel anytime from September 1st up to December 18th 2016 "

And usually when the fare is discounted, the original fare is struck out, and the lower one is in red, its not looking like that now.

If you haven't booked already, I would sign up to their emails, or keep an eye here, and hopefully a discount for 2017 will come up :-)

I can't see any discount applied for those dates unfortunately. They automatically put in that code, but I don't think it's doing anything for your dates. Their home page says:
    "20% of our motorist fares between Britain & Ireland and Rosslare & France. Travel anytime from September 1st up to December 18th 2016 "

And usually when the fare is discounted, the original fare is struck out, and the lower one is in red, its not looking like that now.

If you haven't booked already, I would sign up to their emails, or keep an eye here, and hopefully a discount for 2017 will come up :-)

We got the email last week for the Oscar Wilde, send me your address and i forward it to you.

Also most people got 20% off their trip for next year already.

I am flying this year, but when I priced the boat without discount it was coming in close to 2000, instead it offered it to us for 1700 with the discount

We got the email last week for the Oscar Wilde, send me your address and i forward it to you.

Also most people got 20% off their trip for next year already.

I am flying this year, but when I priced the boat without discount it was coming in close to 2000, instead it offered it to us for 1700 with the discount

We've actually booked stena this year as it was coming in far cheaper than Irish ferries, even with their 15% discount. Thanks for the offer though, much appreciated :-)

I tried with and without those codes and got the same price. When the code was used it told me the dscount had been applied but it made no diference

We've actually booked stena this year as it was coming in far cheaper than Irish ferries, even with their 15% discount. Thanks for the offer though, much appreciated :-)

Yeah Stena is cheaper, just no entertainment or main restaurant.

We are basically flying as its cheaper and quicker. Will rent car over there.

We fly into la Rochelle, stay over night there, do the aquarium and harbour and next day do the big island and head to les charmettes in the evening for two weeks.

We fly into la Rochelle, stay over night there, do the aquarium and harbour and next day do the big island and head to les charmettes in the evening for two weeks.

That sounds like a lovely trip, enjoy!

• Advertisement

Just spen to irish ferries. There are no current active discounts for Ireland to France and they will not confirm if there is going to be a discount during the ploughing championships

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Average Runner, I strongly suggest you buy tickets for the Aquarium online (http://www.ticketmaster.fr/en/manifestation/aquarium-la-rochelle-ticket/idmanif/361020) before you go, it'll save you up to an hour queuing to buy on the day. I learned this the hard way a few years ago with two young (10 and 6) kids in tow and it was raining :(

Super aquarium though and well worth a visit.

Average Runner, I strongly suggest you buy tickets for the Aquarium online (http://www.ticketmaster.fr/en/manifestation/aquarium-la-rochelle-ticket/idmanif/361020) before you go, it'll save you up to an hour queuing to buy on the day. I learned this the hard way a few years ago with two young (10 and 6) kids in tow and it was raining :(

Super aquarium though and well worth a visit.

Hi,

We go there every year, never had to queue but it was always on a Sunday.
    Will be a Friday this year, so I will book in advance. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Hi,

We go there every year, never had to queue but it was always on a Sunday.
    Will be a Friday this year, so I will book in advance. Thanks for that.

We went on a weekday but it was lashing rain all over SW France that day so I think we weren't the only ones who thought going to an indoor aquarium would be a good idea that day!!

I tried with and without those codes and got the same price. When the code was used it told me the dscount had been applied but it made no diference

yes thats whats happening to me to

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭The Wife

There is a 20% discount at the moment. I just wondered if it's possible to get this discount if you want to book with Tesco tokens?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭manshay

Try the dedicated thread on this topic.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=100956371#post100956371
    Some have used Tesco tokens and some have had difficulty!

By the way which ferry company are you referring to?

The emails I had about the 20% off from Stena and Irish Ferries state its only for travel up to December.

New Irish Ferries 15% discount for 2017... FRACL4

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Has anyone taken the Tunnel from Folkestone in the UK to Calais ? We will be doing Landbridge next summer and thinking about using the Tunnel instead of the Ferry. Any thoughts ?

got the Chunnel a few times. You save about 20 mins drive to Dover and an hour and a half on the crossing.
    you can just sit in your car on the chunnel, or stand outside it in the carriage. It's not much of a break from driving, and 2 or 3 times the price of the ferry, unless you get a good deal.

• Advertisement

got the Chunnel a few times. You save about 20 mins drive to Dover and an hour and a half on the crossing.
    you can just sit in your car on the chunnel, or stand outside it in the carriage. It's not much of a break from driving, and 2 or 3 times the price of the ferry, unless you get a good deal.

Thanks Carawaystick.

The Landbridge Prices for 2017 are not out yet but when I spoke with Irish Ferries on the phone they said that the difference in price in doing the Ferry from Dover to Calais and getting the Tunnel from Folkestone to Calais for our dates in 2016 was €30. That's not too bad so hope that it is not significantly more for 2017.

Advertisement