Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Finally pulled the trigger last night, got flights ex-cork to barcelona, car hire and, heading back to la sirene campsite for a good 500 euros less than I paid last year.

so, now its only a 20 minute drive to the airport, then 2.5 on the other side. jobs a good un!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Finally pulled the trigger last night, got flights ex-cork to barcelona, car hire and, heading back to la sirene campsite for a good 500 euros less than I paid last year.

so, now its only a 20 minute drive to the airport, then 2.5KM on the other side. jobs a good un!

Improved that a bit for your there SD4E ;)

BTW, did you book with the campsite operator or direct with an owner?

Improved that a bit for your there SD4E ;)

BTW, did you book with the campsite operator or direct with an owner?

ended up going with lifestyle holidays in the end, rates were a lot more favourable than with eurocamp, plus theres the advantage of being able to pick the pitch I want on site for a small extra fee. I've a great corner pitch booked thats slightly bigger than most and is off the main track from the point of view of traffic, yet centrally located between the various playgrounds and pool complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭nellie07

Hi

Im sure this has been asked to death but Im trying to be organised for next year and book early to avail of discounts, Ive been doing a bit of research over the last few days.

We are based in Cork and next year will have a 4.5 year old and a 2.5 year old and looking to go into Roscoff and somewhere around 2 hour max drive from there.

Love modern accommodation so Im not sure what to expect from camping, totally and absolutely clueless, I've requested some brochures and disappointed to find that theres no kids clubs for under 3's is this normal, we were hoping to get a few hours to do things ourselves during the day while they were at clubs.

Any help greatly appreciated, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Hero777

nellie07 wrote: »
    Hi

Im sure this has been asked to death but Im trying to be organised for next year and book early to avail of discounts, Ive been doing a bit of research over the last few days.

We are based in Cork and next year will have a 4.5 year old and a 2.5 year old and looking to go into Roscoff and somewhere around 2 hour max drive from there.

Love modern accommodation so Im not sure what to expect from camping, totally and absolutely clueless, I've requested some brochures and disappointed to find that theres no kids clubs for under 3's is this normal, we were hoping to get a few hours to do things ourselves during the day while they were at clubs.

Unfortunately in my experience the kids clubs are for 4+ years only. We went last year with Eurocamp and were able to farm the 4 year old off every morning while we went to the pool with the 2 year old. 30 mins in the pool and she was exhausted! A nap closely followed, this was the only time that we had to ourselves bar bedtime ;).

Its still a great holiday for them, they are shattered at night and sleep right through. Both had a ball. Not going to lie to you, it was hard work at times but looking back it was well worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Hero777

Just wondering, will the IF sale be any cheaper that using the code above? Any thoughts?

Should we hold off until October when the same is supposed to occur?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Juggler101

We have had the same issue over the last few years too. We would divide and conquer, one parent brings the kids to kids club while the other parent has a couple of hours "off", then swap the next day!

We really loved both the campsites in Benodet (st gilles, south of Roscoff), and Domaine des Ormes which is east of Roscoff.
    Hi

Also, those sites I mentioned usually have a tent set up in the kids club area that has toys, play dough etc suitable for younger children, just with no organised activities supervised by staff - you have to stay and play!

Juggler101 wrote: »
    We have had the same issue over the last few years too. We would divide and conquer, one parent brings the kids to kids club while the other parent has a couple of hours "off", then swap the next day!

We really loved both the campsites in Benodet (st gilles, south of Roscoff), and Domaine des Ormes which is east of Roscoff.

Thanks guys!!! Heres me thinking oh this is amazing we will have two whole hours to do what we want while they are happy!!!

With regards to the accommodation I've no clue where to start on that, we are used to large apartments on holiday and Im sure this is going to be quite small in comparisson, anyone any recommendations?

Thanks

In a few years we'll all be taking full advantage of the kids clubs!!

We've gone for the 3 bed as we've 3 kids. We've stayed in the classic and the espirit. Both as grand, not particularly spacious, but I don't think any of them are!! When the weather is dry, the deck is a great outdoor space. I wouldn't bother with air conditioning in Brittany. To be honest, we generally go with the cheapest mobile. We haven't done the tents due to lack of toilets/running water inside, but they can be a good bit cheaper.
    Thanks guys!!! Heres me thinking oh this is amazing we will have two whole hours to do what we want while they are happy!!!

With regards to the accommodation I've no clue where to start on that, we are used to large apartments on holiday and Im sure this is going to be quite small in comparisson, anyone any recommendations?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Thats good advice on the air con, we definitely needed it in Spain this year but France seems to be a very different story!

I'll do some more research and see how I get on, I hate not knowing what Im doing and not being on top of this, I could tell you loads about Spain and our holiday but this is all new to me!

Thanks again for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Thats good advice on the air con, we definitely needed it in Spain this year but France seems to be a very different story!

I'll do some more research and see how I get on, I hate not knowing what Im doing and not being on top of this, I could tell you loads about Spain and our holiday but this is all new to me!

Thanks again for your help

Depends where in France your going. We always have the aircon in les charmettes and also go for the excellance range in the mobile homes, they just that bit bigger.

Our decking is usually 50% covered and 50% not, so works well.

Depends where in France your going. We always have the aircon in les charmettes and also go for the excellance range in the mobile homes, they just that bit bigger.

Our decking is usually 50% covered and 50% not, so works well.

Same. A covered (or partially covered) deck can make a huge difference and can be used in both good and not so good weather. There's something quite relaxing about sitting outside in shorts and a hoodie reading a book as it lashes rain ;)

Yes, with the rain in Loire valley this June, we would have really appreciated some sort of cover on the deck!

Same. A covered (or partially covered) deck can make a huge difference and can be used in both good and not so good weather. There's something quite relaxing about sitting outside in shorts and a hoodie reading a book as it lashes rain ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭aquarius10

so, now its only a 20 minute drive to the airport, then 2.5 on the other side. jobs a good un!

What dates are ye heading there ? We'll be there 28th June for 13 nights hopefully

aquarius10 wrote: »
    What dates are ye heading there ? We'll be there 28th June for 13 nights hopefully

We're coming home on the 27th!

Went with lifestyle after, thanks for the tip off on them, took plot 102 in a nice quiet spot.

We booked plot 109 so fingers crossed its quiet too !

aquarius10 wrote: »
    We booked plot 109 so fingers crossed its quiet too !

yeah, it'll be grand, we had 131 last year and all that area is pretty low key.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Anyone got recommendations for campsites close to/on the beach in the StJean De Monts (Vendee) general area.

We stayed in Solagogo previously and got a good rate off of them by booking direct. But for 2017 they are actually charging more than some of the UK Camping Operators who use the site such as Charles Alexander.
    Bizarre.

Being able to walk straight to the beach without worrying about traffic/loading cars is a huge plus- makes life so much easier. So just wondering if anyone knows of similar campsites.

Thanks

jay0109 wrote: »
    Anyone got recommendations for campsites close to/on the beach in the StJean De Monts (Vendee) general area.

We stayed in Solagogo previously and got a good rate off of them by booking direct. But for 2017 they are actually charging more than some of the UK Camping Operators who use the site such as Charles Alexander.
    Bizarre.

Being able to walk straight to the beach without worrying about traffic/loading cars is a huge plus- makes life so much easier. So just wondering if anyone knows of similar campsites.

Thanks

You could try these:-

http://en.campingpommedepin.fr

http://en.campinglapege.com

http://www.lebosquet.fr (Right opposite Sol a Gogo)

The first two have direct access to the beach and Le Bosquet is only 200m from the beach but you do have to cross the road and walk past Sol a Gogo!

Haven't any experience myself but book marked them when we stayed in St Jean de Monts as possible options should we go back. We ate in the restaurant in Le Bosquet a few times and always liked the relaxed vibe there but didn't venture into the site itself to see what the setup is like.

Also, if the beach is your main thing and you're not bothered whether you're in a campsite or not you could rent something direct from an owner right on the beach in St Jean de Monts such as https://www.homeaway.co.uk/p1340927a or https://www.homeaway.co.uk/p602220a

• Advertisement

Jay0109

We stayed at le Clarys plage last year, the beach is at the end of the road and the main beach at st Jean des monts is only 5 -10 minute drive away.

The park is lovely, great pools, felt very safe and nice mix of nationalities. Supermarket right beside site with its own shortcut gate out.

We booked with Eurocamp as they had cheapest price when I booked, Any other questions just ask

Just booked our flights. For 2 adults and 2 kids.
    Ryanair out was 42o in total.
    Aer lingus back was 510.

Car rental seems to be about 500 so not too bad

Aer lingus back was 510.

Car rental seems to be about 500 so not too bad

how long are you renting the car for? we got ten days for €180

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭webpal

seems reasonable, where are you flying to and when roughly?

how long are you renting the car for? we got ten days for €180

Oh please tell me where you got the car from, it be from 1st of July - 15th of July

Thanks

webpal wrote: »
    seems reasonable, where are you flying to and when roughly?

Flying to La Rochelle, last Friday of June

Oh please tell me where you got the car from, it be from 1st of July - 15th of July

Thanks

I used rentalcars.com

that being said, I'm flying to barcelona so the rates might be cheaper.

i just did a quick check on your dates and you can get a ford focus for 328 or an opel corsa for 296.

not many rental companies to choose from I'm afraid.

Anyone been to Les Dunes Camping , south of St Hilaire de Riez?
    http://www.campinglesdunes.fr/en/

It's a much bigger site than what we ever were on before and it looks fairly cramped. But they are offering a good rate and the reviews on tripadvisor are good

Where are you getting their rates from? I can't find prices on their own website for 2017!

I can't advise on it either I'm afraid, I'm just looking for ideas for our trip next summer!
    jay0109 wrote: »
    Anyone been to Les Dunes Camping , south of St Hilaire de Riez?
    http://www.campinglesdunes.fr/en/

It's a much bigger site than what we ever were on before and it looks fairly cramped. But they are offering a good rate and the reviews on tripadvisor are good

• Advertisement

I contacted them directly a few days ago. Very quick response back

Advertisement