Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Juggler101

What is their prices if you don't mind me asking?
    jay0109 wrote: »
    I contacted them directly a few days ago. Very quick response back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Just over €1,200 for 14 nights from near the end of June, 3 bed mobile.
    As good a price as you'll get anywhere along the beach front I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Juggler101

Looks like a great location alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

jay0109 wrote: »
    Anyone been to Les Dunes Camping , south of St Hilaire de Riez?
    http://www.campinglesdunes.fr/en/

It's a much bigger site than what we ever were on before and it looks fairly cramped. But they are offering a good rate and the reviews on tripadvisor are good

I stayed there summer 2015. Had zero complaints on the price, cleanliness, site, location, pool etc. As good as on the beach too. Very good cycling tracks just outside the back gate of the site. There was a shop and bakery on site and the evening entertainment (most of which was geared towards French holidaymakers unfortunately) was on an outside stage so you weren't stuck inside.Only reason I didn't return this year was that the kids found it hard to mix as 95% of people there were French, so not many English speakers. I booked with Vacansoleil and they were good to deal with.

Now that I think of it, it was cramped enough around our mobile home but then again the deck was fully covered (Zip Doors) so we had loads of room inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Jpm123

Hi Guys, can anyone recommend a place to stay near Puy de Fou. I tried the park hotels but the booked out for the first day we wanted
    Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Looking to book a week away for the wife and myself and toddler who will be about 3 and a half next summer. Never had a family holiday before so not sure where to start. Is it even worth going to a eurocamp with such a young child?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Looking to book a week away for the wife and myself and toddler who will be about 3 and a half next summer. Never had a family holiday before so not sure where to start. Is it even worth going to a eurocamp with such a young child?

We brought our youngest (now 11) from aged 3 and we've always enjoyed the time together. In the early years you get to do lot's of things pool, beach, hurdy gurdies, kids club (you have to stay with them at that age) and just chilling out on the sun on a nice deck etc and then as they get older you get to see them sprout wings and disappear for hours on end (in a very safe environment) on their bikes with new friends they've made whilst you can chill out with a book or whatever.

My wife, kids (11 and 15) and myself are big fans and have already booked next years accommodation and ferry but then you'll find most people on this thread are fans of French campsite holidays, that's why we're here so don't be surprised with the positive responses you get to your question!!

Also, one of the best things about French campsite holidays is you can load up your car and bring everything your 3 year old will need including a bike etc. That makes a couple of weeks much easier for all.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Personally I prefer the campsite tents rather than the holiday homes and I think Canvas are nicer than Eurocamp.
    Anyhow, bear in mind the sterling difference when booking. .co.uk website prices now seem to be lower than .ie

• Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Myself and my wife and 7 (will be 8) year old son are looking to go for a fun holiday in France. I've been to the Nice region before and I really want to to show my wife the Verdon Gorge as I know she will love it. Has anyone got any recommendations for campsites in the area, or suggestions for others things to do in the area. At the moment we are considering flying in and renting a car as the long drive after a day on the ferry - both ways, is a big turn off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 eunos1992

Hi we are heading to France next year and I am wondering if anyone has the discount code for Brittany Ferries, Cork to Roscoff sailing?

• Advertisement

Hi just wondering if anyone has the discount code for Brittany Ferries, I am looking to book Cork to Roscoff for next year?

Great if anyone can help us out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

eunos1992 wrote: »
    Hi we are heading to France next year and I am wondering if anyone has the discount code for Brittany Ferries, Cork to Roscoff sailing?

I've travelled that ferry for the last 5 or 6 years and I dont think I've ever seen them do a discount code?

Hi there is definitely a discount code, I used one with Brittany Ferries for the last three years we sailed with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Oriordad

Does anyone know if Citijet are planning on putting on the Cork to La Rochelle flight for next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I've travelled that ferry for the last 5 or 6 years and I dont think I've ever seen them do a discount code?

Usually siblu will have a discount code for them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Oriordad wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Citijet are planning on putting on the Cork to La Rochelle flight for next summer.

Booked ours with ryanair from dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭appfry

Im looking to book a campsite for my son, daughter in law and their 4 year old in france for next summer as a present.
    They want to try out a campsite with lots of entertainment for the toddler. Near a beach etc.
    Any recommendations of websites to book with?
    They will be bringing the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Quazzie wrote: »
    Myself and my wife and 7 (will be 8) year old son are looking to go for a fun holiday in France. I've been to the Nice region before and I really want to to show my wife the Verdon Gorge as I know she will love it. Has anyone got any recommendations for campsites in the area, or suggestions for others things to do in the area. At the moment we are considering flying in and renting a car as the long drive after a day on the ferry - both ways, is a big turn off.

I've never been to that gorge, but another spectacular one is the Vallon Pont D'Arc-Gorges de l'Ardeche one, in case you're open to a change.
    Just mentioning it because we stayed in a great campsite in Anduze last year called Le Castel Rose, a great spot with young kids, thought I'd recommend it here.

The area is gorgeous, full of interesting visits (tourist train, caves, scenery, swimming in amazing spots...) and the campsite above boasts a brilliant swimming pool, is right beside a river suitable for making dams, the view is smashing, etc...
    Gorges de l'Ardeche is very touristy (like the Verdon) so I wouldn't recommend getting closer to them, but Anduze is not overdone and a great base to explore.

appfry it depends how far you think they would drive, but for someone looking for a great place to stay with a young child right out of the ferry in Cherbourg, I would highly recommend Le Cormoran campsite. There are little goats in a field you can play with, lots of playgrounds, a (covered and open) swimming pool, cross the road and you're on a huge sandy beach.
    It's 40 minutes (if you don't know the place) from the ferry on Omaha beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭appfry

I've never been to that gorge, but another spectacular one is the Vallon Pont D'Arc-Gorges de l'Ardeche one, in case you're open to a change.
    Just mentioning it because we stayed in a great campsite in Anduze last year called Le Castel Rose, a great spot with young kids, thought I'd recommend it here.

The area is gorgeous, full of interesting visits (tourist train, caves, scenery, swimming in amazing spots...) and the campsite above boasts a brilliant swimming pool, is right beside a river suitable for making dams, the view is smashing, etc...
    Gorges de l'Ardeche is very touristy (like the Verdon) so I wouldn't recommend getting closer to them, but Anduze is not overdone and a great base to explore.

appfry it depends how far you think they would drive, but for someone looking for a great place to stay with a young child right out of the ferry in Cherbourg, I would highly recommend Le Cormoran campsite. There are little goats in a field you can play with, lots of playgrounds, a (covered and open) swimming pool, cross the road and you're on a huge sandy beach.
    It's 40 minutes (if you don't know the place) from the ferry on Omaha beach.

Thanks. That sounds lovely.
    Ill have a look at that. They normally stay with us in Spain, but now that the tot is getting old enough that he would want to play with other kids I think I will treat them to a nice child friendly holiday too that has kids clubs, dancing etc

appfry wrote: »
    Thanks. That sounds lovely.
    Ill have a look at that. They normally stay with us in Spain, but now that the tot is getting old enough that he would want to play with other kids I think I will treat them to a nice child friendly holiday too that has kids clubs, dancing etc
    We stayed in Nant, along the Dourbie gorge this year. It was truly beautiful. The Dourbie meets the Tarn just up the road in Millau (where you also have a number of supermarkets and decent restaurants).

Loads to see and do around there.

http://www.canvasholidays.ie/france/midi-pyrenees/campsite-val-de-cantobre.php

The only problem you might have is that the area is filled with Dutch and your kids might not get the opportunity to mingle with English speaking kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

kbannon wrote: »
    We stayed in Nant, along the Dourbie gorge this year. It was truly beautiful. The Dourbie meets the Tarn just up the road in Millau (where you also have a number of supermarkets and decent restaurants).

Loads to see and do around there.

http://www.canvasholidays.ie/france/midi-pyrenees/campsite-val-de-cantobre.php

The only problem you might have is that the area is filled with Dutch and your kids might not get the opportunity to mingle with English speaking kids.

God, we had that experience in Millau, the people looking after the kids were dutch, and they completely left them aside, all other kids were Dutch. One morning is all they stayed. We're lucky that we're campervanning so we moved on elsewhere. It's definitely something to consider

God, we had that experience in Millau, the people looking after the kids were dutch, and they completely left them aside, all other kids were Dutch. One morning is all they stayed. We're lucky that we're campervanning so we moved on elsewhere. It's definitely something to consider
    We were lucky enough that our kids dislike the usual campsite "let's be happy friends" stuff.
    We did our own thing every day and our kids were happy with us e.g. canoeing or visiting the chaos de Montpellier-le-Vieux. In the evenings myself and my son pucked a sliotar around the empty campsite pitches.
    My own view is that it gave us more time together as a family.
    Nonetheless our neighbouring pitch had a Dutch family (but their kids were teens) who were very nice and we spent a few evenings drinking wine and beer together.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Steve_hooo

Anyone traveled with Stenaline Horizon to France booking only the Reclining Seat and can answer the below:

Are these in a separate room like for IrishFerries?

Do they give you a pillow and blanket?

Is there space to roll out a mat and sleep on the floor?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭webpal

Irish ferries have just tweeted 20% of all routes book by Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

just booked for June on Stena - must find a destination now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Difficult time this, ferries at their cheapest but accommodation not! To book or not to book?!! I waited until April last year and paid €1600 ish for the boat and €1500 for the boat. At the moment the boat to Roscoff is €1200 ish but the accommodation is €2k. Do I book the boat and wait a few months until the accommodation comes down (Eurocamp/Canvas)? Was hoping for 12 nights all in for €2.5k

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Difficult time this, ferries at their cheapest but accommodation not! To book or not to book?!! I waited until April last year and paid €1600 ish for the boat and €1500 for the boat. At the moment the boat to Roscoff is €1200 ish but the accommodation is €2k. Do I book the boat and wait a few months until the accommodation comes down (Eurocamp/Canvas)? Was hoping for 12 nights all in for €2.5k

Don't think the boat will get any cheaper. If I was you I'd book the boat then keep an eye out for deals on accommodation in Feb/Mar time when the traditional post Xmas bookings are over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭kindalen

worth checking uk sites to book accommodation in sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

kindalen wrote: »
    worth checking uk sites to book accommodation in sterling.

Lifestyle holidays have proven unbeatable for me in terms of price, even against Euro camps sales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭oinkely

Anyone been to France in April? Thinking of heading over with the caravan during the school holidays for ten days or so, just staying around Brittany.

Seems to be plenty of sites open with heated indoor pools and the ferry is cheap. Would work out cheaper than renting somewhere in Ireland for the break!

Any feedback on Brittany in April would be great. interwebs seem to suggest temps around mid to low teens.

Advertisement