Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Helmet

hurler32 wrote: »
    Have been trying to decide since where to stay in France...its 4 hours from Roscoff to the above Le Boisson site which seems a long enough drive in my eyes....where is best in the circa 2 hour drive range ??..a site where one could rent a 3 bed mobile home in a decent site....a quite at night site would appeal ..thanks for any help.

We stayed in Port de Plaisance in Benodet a few years ago, lovely spot. We're planning on going back this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

hurler32 wrote: »
    Have been trying to decide since where to stay in France...its 4 hours from Roscoff to the above Le Boisson site which seems a long enough drive in my eyes....where is best in the circa 2 hour drive range ??..a site where one could rent a 3 bed mobile home in a decent site....a quite at night site would appeal ..the Siblu resorts look good??..is their better or others worth a look?..thanks for any help.

Hi Hurler32, have you considered Domaine Des Ormes in Dol de Bretagne? http://www.eurocamp.ie/campsites/brittany/bn013-domaine-des-ormes/ataglance.html?utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=%2Bdomaine+%2Bdes+%2Bormes&gclid=Cj0KEQiAnIPDBRC7t5zJs4uQu5UBEiQA7u5Ney1DMcrhmq7mG_GpMUIpCNVakfwMAnH0ND4ahaCLNGEaAvvq8P8HAQ
    Huge amount of activities on a large site, approx 2 and a half hours from the port if memory serves and close to Mont St Michel which is well worth a visit

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭76544567

Ive never been to a campsite before, but would like to go to one this year as my son is 4 now.
    Im looking at going in July but have no idea where.
    Has anyone any ideas as to a nice campsite with access to a beach and lots to do for a 4 year old too. Preferably within striking distance of a town too. Flying probably the best option to get there.
    France or Spain maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Hi. Thank so for the ideas! I'm now looking at flying into Nice and staying at La Baume in Frejus for 11 nights. Can anybody recommend? Also, what is the best way to go about booking car hire? I would be flying with Ryanair so would the car hire be cheapest with them? I'd need a decent size car for 5 including luggage and a baby seat!

You can't go too far wrong down there, the coast is just beautiful. A bit pricey overall but well worth it.

For car hire all the usual from here apply (hertz, avis, ... comparison sites), a French comparison site is Liligo.fr.
    I would advise on allowing for various extras/insurances as the French bureaucratie for car rentals is ridiculous, and I got caught once for a puncture on a rental car, ended up not only paying for all fixing upfront but also had a 3000 euros deposit held for 3 months after the event (the time it takes their "experts" to check a tyre was indeed changed). Would have been better off paying the 90 or so extra at time of booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Has any any recommendations/ advice/ preferences over choosing Carnet or St-Jean-de-Monts for a 10 day break for our young family in July(ages 7,5,3). Any advantages or disadvantages to either destination? I tend to get itchy feet after a few days and like exploring the area. We won't be staying in the campsite all day everyday. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

REBELSAFC wrote: »
    Has any any recommendations/ advice/ preferences over choosing Carnet or St-Jean-de-Monts for a 10 day break for our young family in July(ages 7,5,3). Any advantages or disadvantages to either destination? I tend to get itchy feet after a few days and like exploring the area. We won't be staying in the campsite all day everyday. Thanks

Can't comment on Carnet as haven't been there other than to say it looks like a shorter drive from Cherbourg or Roscoff than St Jean de Monts.

Having stayed in St Jean de Monts for 3 years I can confirm there are lots of day trips around the area from exploring various beaches to Passage de Gois, to an excellent water park on Noirmoutier-en-l'Île and if you're really into big day trips the aquarium in La Rochelle which is about a 2 hour drive from St Jean de Monts.

Can't comment on Carnet as haven't been there other than to say it looks like a shorter drive from Cherbourg or Roscoff than St Jean de Monts.

Having stayed in St Jean de Monts for 3 years I can confirm there are lots of day trips around the area from exploring various beaches to Passage de Gois, to an excellent water park on Noirmoutier-en-l'Île and if you're really into big day trips the aquarium in La Rochelle which is about a 2 hour drive from St Jean de Monts.

Thanks for that. What is the immediate locality like ie resturants,pubs etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Does anyone know if a list exists which shows the closest camp sites to the airports around France?

Or indeed, for other countries too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I just tried to search in French, no such luck.

I tend to find campsites first on Google maps these days. Cuts down on a lot of hassle, and you get to see campsites that are not necessarily listed on the fancy websites. Otherwise I check campingdefrance.com, camping cheques, campings qualité, and acsi websites. That's a lot to be checking to round it up to one.

I just zoom in on the point of interest with whatever radius I'm willing to stretch to, and type "camping" into the search box. At least that way you get everything, including aires/municipal campsites.

Loads of choice. SDJM is a very popular seaside resort with both French and Foreign tourists. Plenty of options from casual moules or pizza type places to fine dining.

This is a really good place for a long lunch. Great food, great service, right on the seafront and not expensive.

This is a great and slightly unusual restaurant which fuses french and SE Asian cuisine. I'm not usually a fan of fusion food but this was a very memorable meal.

This is a very nice fine(ish) restaurant which we also enjoyed a lot. Don't be put off by the fact its located in a 2/3 star hotel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

You could stay for three weeks and never eat inothe same restaurant twice. Pubs are a bit scarcer though, but then the pub culture there isn't like here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭webpal

Latest discount code for Eurocamp

1 Apr - 30 Jun 50%
    1 Jul - 21 Jul 30%
    22 Jul - 29 Aug 15%
    30 Aug - 29 Oct 30%

code 17RISC02

I've put this through on a couple of campsites and there are genuine big savings to be made, so much so that I'm extremely tempted to book. Thats what I like about Eurocamp, you know the mobiles and campsites are of a certain star. Usually they are a bit dearer but this code seems to be very competitive.

webpal wrote: »

1 Apr - 30 Jun 50%
    1 Jul - 21 Jul 30%
    22 Jul - 29 Aug 15%
    30 Aug - 29 Oct 30%

code 17RISC02

I've put this through on a couple of campsites and there are genuine big savings to be made, so much so that I'm extremely tempted to book. Thats what I like about Eurocamp, you know the mobiles and campsites are of a certain star. Usually they are a bit dearer but this code seems to be very competitive.

Any good Eurocamps on the beach.
    The little lad is mad to go camping, but the mrs wants a beach.

76544567 wrote: »

http://www.eurocamp.ie/campsites/roussillon/wm018-camping-club-mar-estang/ataglance.html

this is the one i was looking at, 1500 for a 3 bed for 2 weeks in July.

http://www.eurocamp.ie/campsites/roussillon/wm018-camping-club-mar-estang/ataglance.html

Looks great. I see from the website they list the distance from beaches as well.
    I think we might be able to convince the mrs

Stayed there 4 years ago. Excellent site, walking distance to the Beach and Town and a lovely area in general. We combined a week here with a week in Spain staying here
    http://www.canvasholidays.ie/spain/costa-brava/campsite-castell-montgri.php?gclid=CPT9md3podECFcKw7Qodz8UODg

Only a couple hours drive and we had a wonderful two weeks

You could stay for three weeks and never eat inothe same restaurant twice. Pubs are a bit scarcer though, but then the pub culture there isn't like here.
    Loads of choice. SDJM is a very popular seaside resort with both French and Foreign tourists. Plenty of options from casual moules or pizza type places to fine dining.

Thanks for all this. Our only worry is that being such a large resort might be a little bit "tacky"

Thanks for all this. Our only worry is that being such a large resort might be a little bit "tacky"

I personally hate the place for this exact reason. I dont think there is anything French about the place but thats my opinion and that said, its popular for a reason, plenty to do and good facilities on campsites so its good for kids. If I was going without kids, I wouldnt go near the place. Last year we went a small bit further down to Les Biches in St Hilaire de Riez.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

76544567 wrote: »

If you're willing to fly drive (carcassone) then salons is top class and right beside a super beach. (We used roan camp here)

http://www.eurocamp.ie/campsites/languedoc/wm020-les-sablons/ataglance.html

If you're driving, Clarys plage (we used hello France here)
    http://www.eurocamp.ie/campsites/vendee/vn011-le-clarys-plage/ataglance.html is a great site and again next to a beach, albeit not as nice as the beach at portiragnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Family Gal

Hi All,

My husband and i booked accommodation at La Brasilia Campsite for our family ( husband , 5 yr old son , new born infant and I ) and my parents (in a separate chalet ) for dates 20th June -1st July.

We booked on line last week and then booked flights with Are Lingus to correspond with those dates but we just received an email from the campsite today that our dates are not available.

Flights booked so we now have to find alternative camping that would suit flying into Perpignan.

Our wishlist prioritises access to beach and a local town ( for my 79 yr old father who can't walk very far .

We would prefer separate chalets and decent kids club.

We have looked at les Sablons and La Chapelle but would appreciate any recommendations or feedback as we would like to get this sorted asap.

Thank you in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Hi,

This year and looking at rolling the dice with the weather and going to Normandy or eastern Brittany near enough to the D-day beaches. Looking for a campsite that is lively enough good pools and evening entertainment.

Here are a few that I though looked ok

Camping des Ormes
    http://www.camping-castels.co.uk/camping-domaine-des-ormes-id253-id_camping3.html#activites1

Château Lez Eaux
    http://www.eurocamp.ie/campsites/normandy/nr011-chateau-lez-eaux/ataglance.html

Any other recommendations or reviews of the above

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭billbond4

Anyone have discount codes for yelloh?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GeneralSherman

billbond4 wrote: »
    Anyone have discount codes for yelloh?

Try EARLYVIP Book before the end of January and it is supposed to give you 10% off.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GeneralSherman

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Hi,

This year and looking at rolling the dice with the weather and going to Normandy or eastern Brittany near enough to the D-day beaches. Looking for a campsite that is lively enough good pools and evening entertainment.

Here are a few that I though looked ok

Camping des Ormes
    http://www.camping-castels.co.uk/camping-domaine-des-ormes-id253-id_camping3.html#activites1

Château Lez Eaux
    http://www.eurocamp.ie/campsites/normandy/nr011-chateau-lez-eaux/ataglance.html

Any other recommendations or reviews of the above

I would highly recommend Camping Les Ormes. Plenty to do even if the weather is poor. Good indoor pool as well as 2 outdoor pools. Excellent entertainment for the kids and large games room for kids to mess around in. Very clean, large campsite. It is a bit of a drive if you plan to do the Normandy Beaches but within easy distance of St. Malo, Mont St. Michel and sandy beaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

1 Apr - 30 Jun 50%
    1 Jul - 21 Jul 30%
    22 Jul - 29 Aug 15%
    30 Aug - 29 Oct 30%

code 17RISC02

Anyone used these yet?

1 Apr - 30 Jun 50%
    1 Jul - 21 Jul 30%
    22 Jul - 29 Aug 15%
    30 Aug - 29 Oct 30%

code 17RISC02

first site I selected rejected code on checkout

Boom - just got €300 off Torre Del Sol is Spain

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

checked last night with this code (17RISC02) and was working but was gonna book le clarys now and its not working, anyone else getting that?

Edit: It seems to be the Avant style accommodation that you can't apply the discount code to

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Hi All,

Looking for car hire in France for hols in July. Anyone ye would recommend?
    Flying into la Rochelle and out of Bordeaux 2 weeks later.

Also the wife said there is some website that will do the car insurance for you alot cheaper than the car rental company. Any ideas ?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Hi All,

Looking for car hire in France for hols in July. Anyone ye would recommend?
    Flying into la Rochelle and out of Bordeaux 2 weeks later.

Also the wife said there is some website that will do the car insurance for you alot cheaper than the car rental company. Any ideas ?

Thanks

Is this it? http://www.carhireexcess.ie

Advertisement