Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭webpal

clogher77 wrote: »

Because we have 7 the accommodation is working out very expensive even though baby will be in a travel cot.

Any reason why its expensive? Are you looking for something other than a 3 bed? A 3 bed is usually made up of a double and 2 rooms with 2 single beds in each. All of these mobiles usually advertise for 6/8 people as there is a pull out in main living area. May not be ideal but could 11 and or 9 yr old sleep in living area. The rooms would not accommodate a cot also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Thinking of heading to France this summer. First time. We usually holiday in Ireland. Was thinking of getting ferry from cork to roscoff. Or would we be better off flying.
    We re flexible on dates - thinking of last 2 weeks in August as ferry seems cheaper.

We have 5 kids who will be 11,9, 4, 2, and 9 months next summer.

The 2 older ones want water slides.
    We want a buggy friendly camp close to beach for younger ones so they can make sand castles etc.

Anyone have any advice/ recommendations.

I've looked on line. Because we have 7 the accommodation is working out very expensive even though baby will be in a travel cot.

Any tips much appreciated.

With young kids we found bringing the car to be the best option as you get to pack all their stuff including bikes etc.

I may be wrong but IIRC the last two weeks of August shouldn't be as expensive accommodation wise compared to June/July and early August.

Fom personal experience I can recommend Bonne Anse Plage which is right on the coast but not right on the beach which is a bit of a walk along the path at the back of the campsite or La Reserve which has a fantastic lake beach as part of the campsite. It's very safe, lots of space wo never a problem getting a spot and the water is both warm and very shallow so ideal for kids.

Not sure you'd want to take on the 5 hour journey from Roscoff to Bonne Anse Plage or the 8 hour spin to La Reserve but if you don't mind driving my recommendation would be La Reserve as it's private onsite beach sounds ideal for your needs but you also need to be aware that La Reserve is a bit isolated. It's 10km from the nearest town with decent sized supermarkets etc and 18km from the nearest resort type town so if you're not into cooking and BBQ'ing and prefer to eat out all the time La Reserve isn't for you.

When checking prices you can sometimes find great private deals on this website which lets you rent mobile homes from owners but you must factor in the cost of fun passes into the equation.

FYI I booked a private 3 bed Excellence with large fully covered deck, AC etc for three weeks in July for €1,878 including 2 X Adult Fun Passes direct with an owner. 2 x kids fun passes for the three weeks will cost circa €120 (I think) so all in I got 3 weeks in the biggest mobile possible with AC etc for €2,000 which was a saving of at least €1,500 Vs booking direct with Siblu.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 clogher77

Thanks for all the replies. We decided as its our first year we ll go with euro amp or yell oh village and then next year try to book direct once we have the lay of the land so to speak.

We are looking at las moulettes or la ranolein both in Brittany north. Fine and close to roscoff. With 5 in back there's always one kicking off so thought we d try to stay within a few hours of port.

One question. Are the camps closed to the public. One review on trip advisor said the kids balance bikes were stolen from the pool area. They said the camp was open for day passes.

If prefer somewhere a bit more secure. What does everyone else think ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

just booked Cork/Roscoff ferry and posting price I paid just in case anyone wants to compare. It is for 1 car + outside 4 bed berths

Total Cost 1117.00 EUR
    Deposit 279.25 EUR
    Payment is due on 13-06-2017 for the balance of 837.75 EUR

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Peckham

clogher77 wrote:
    Thanks for all the replies. We decided as its our first year we ll go with euro amp or yell oh village and then next year try to book direct once we have the lay of the land so to speak.

We did last two weeks in August 2016 with Eurocamp in Pointe Sainte Gilles in Benodet. With two kids - aged 2 and 5. Eurocamp great for kids clubs, but really that's the only interaction you'll have with them while on holiday!

One thing to watch out for in reviews of sites is how busy the pool area is (if pool is a factor for you). Particularly with young children.
    The pool in the site we were at was incredibly busy, which made it a little stressful with kids (and we only had to watch two kids!).

We ended up going to the beach more often as it was a much more pleasant experience.

• Advertisement

One question. Are the camps closed to the public. One review on trip advisor said the kids balance bikes were stolen from the pool area. They said the camp was open for day passes.

We had two kids bikes stolen last year in La Reserve. Totally the kids fault as they didn't bother putting the locks on.

Found out from the security guy that one of two things typically happen:-

1. Other kids onsite who don't have bikes take the ones which are unlocked and go for a spin on them before ditching them somewhere. These are often recovered and are mostly undamaged. A lot depends whether they were taken for a spin around the park or taken outside the park to the local town/beach in which case the chance of getting them back is diminished.

2. Local kids stroll into the campsite (I haven't yet seen a campsite with the type of security which can prevent people walking in) and simply steal unlocked bikes. It's a pain in the ar$e and a low probability that it will happen to you but it does happen from time to time.

Thankfully we'd made a deliberate decision to bring their old (slightly too small) bikes rather than the new ones they'd just got so it wasn't a financial hit to lose them but it was inconvenient for a few days as the kids had to walk everywhere which I actually didn't mind as it reminded them there are consequences for not locking your bike. After a few days walking everywhere I spoke with Siblu management and they provided two bikes FOC for the remainder of the holiday to us but it was very much a discretionary gesture.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

yeah, as Jean said, any I've been to are pretty open, although La Sirene in Argeles sur mer did have security guards at both entrances all day long, but they were more keeping an eye on cars in and out than actual foot traffic.

That being said, I've never felt safer on holiday than we do when we're at a campsite, everything is fairly well enclosed and kid proofed for the most part. Its a major factor when we were booking our holidays when weighing up between an apartment complex somewhere with an unsupervised pool, versus what the majority of camps offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

yeah, as Jean said, any I've been to are pretty open, although La Sirene in Argeles sur mer did have security guards at both entrances all day long, but they were more keeping an eye on cars in and out than actual foot traffic.

That being said, I've never felt safer on holiday than we do when we're at a campsite, everything is fairly well enclosed and kid proofed for the most part. Its a major factor when we were booking our holidays when weighing up between an apartment complex somewhere with an unsupervised pool, versus what the majority of camps offer.

Totally agree with the above, we go to les charmettes every year and always felt safe. A high number of lifeguards on duty and they rotate from pool to pool every 20 mins so always fresh eyes on the pool. Often leave our bag on our seats at the pool and just head off to another part of the pool after the kids.

Every one drives slowly in the camps too, as kids especially the younger ones tend to run across the road without warning.

Just to note, kid clubs won't take unsupervised kids till they are 5, one of ours went to the club last year and loved it, two of ours this year will go, so free time for more running for daddy:D

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭judgefoozle

I prefer somewhere a bit more secure. What does everyone else think ?

All depends on the park from our own experience. Was in a Siblu park, La Pignade, in 2015 and felt very safe, with bikes left unlocked around the place and cars restricted at certain times and slow-moving otherwise. Never felt unsafe on the road or worried about bikes.

2016 we stayed at Camping Leveno: http://www.camping-leveno.com/
    We were down the back of the park so no real cars, but staff themselves were flying it around on golf carts - felt roads not as safe as previous year.

I had bought a long chain for locking bikes to the bike rack for the journey over -
    but we ended up using it whenever we cycled to the pool, was a very open setup and didn't feel as secure.

A lot of this you mightn't find out until you get there of course, but I'd say there's different standards on sites - Siblu the better of these two definitely. We're going to a Keycamp park this year, so hopefully similar to Siblu standard!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

jay0109 wrote: »
    clogher, try these
    http://www.campinglesdunes.fr/en/
    We're staying with them this Summer for the first time (2+ 4) in a 3 bed. We booked direct to get the best value

My thoughts on Camping Les Dunes from earlier on in the thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101234350&postcount=237

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭wall

Trying to decide between La Clarys Plage or Le Bois Masson? First time going to France. Flying, kids 5, 7, 9. Any recommendations?

wall wrote: »
    Trying to decide between La Clarys Plage or Le Bois Masson? First time going to France. Flying, kids 5, 7, 9. Any recommendations?

We spent 3 years in Le Bois Masson and really liked it but my kids were a little older (11 and 7) the first year we went there. Great pool complex, kids clubs and restaurant but the night entertainment is indoors in a weird room off the main bar which I never liked. The kids loved it but IMO it's a horrible space, only one narrow entrance up some steps in and out and it gets very packed.

We cycle around a good bit and used to go past Le Clary's Plage regularly. It always appealed to me and I was tempted to book it but for one reason or another we never did. I heard from someone that the pitches are small and a bit cramped but others said it was a great place and it certainly looks a great place. I believe the site is split into two with half the mobile homes on the main park and half across the road. If you are booking you might want to ensure you are on the main camp to avoid having to cross a road several times a day with the kids.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with either camp. Given the age of your kids I'd probably try Le Clary's Plage first and see how you get on. It's right by the beach and some bars and restaurants (Le Bois Masson is about 2.5km from the beach) so you'll have less loading kids into the car etc to go out for dinner if you choose Le Clary's Plage.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Juggler101

Does anybody know when the groupschemes Eurocamp code expires?

Juggler101 wrote: »
    Does anybody know when the groupschemes Eurocamp code expires?

ask them for it anyway regardless via email. Just tell them you forgot to apply and I bet they will. I missed a big discount on my booking and asked them for it afterwards and they applied.

BailMeOut wrote: »
    ask them for it anyway regardless via email. Just tell them you forgot to apply and I bet they will. I missed a big discount on my booking and asked them for it afterwards and they applied.

Good thinking! The code worked last night when I tried it out. I suppose I don't want to book something too quickly without giving it proper thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Anyone here been to Le Pommier? Looking for some advice from someone that's been to see if it's as Dutch as some reviews make it out to be.

Woo-hoo, just booked campsite in the Dordogne 12 nights in June using the group schemes Euro camp code, costing us 560 :)

We've left a days travel in France on either side so that we can break up the journey (kids aged 2,4,6 in the back won't tolerate nearly 8 hours in a car in one day!). Any ideas for nice overnights between Cherbourg and Dordogne?

Any ideas for nice overnights between Cherbourg and Dordogne?

Nantes - lovely little city with loads to do with kids.

Nantes - lovely little city with loads to do with kids.

Haven't been before, so thanks for the tip .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

wall wrote: »

We went to Le Clary's Plage in 2014 with 1, 3, 5 year olds and found it excellent. Covered pool is very handy and the overall pool complex is super.

Went to Sol a Gogo down the road in 2015 which was smaller and a lot quieter, but still a great site as it backs directly onto the beach.

Just booked Ferry/Le Bois Masson for 2 weeks in August as we like to try a different one every time.

Was going to fly into Nantes again but balked at the price of hiring a 7-seater.

Can't wait for the long walks on the beaches/promenade in Jean-de-Monts!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Any ideas for nice overnights between Cherbourg and Dordogne?

We've stayed in Le Château des Marais in the Loire Valley (beside Chambord). Lovely clean campsite with nice take away restaurant and great pool.

Eurocamp are there so you should be able to wrangle a good deal.

ifElseThen wrote: »
    Can't wait for the long walks on the beaches/promenade in Jean-de-Monts!

If you srat towards the southern end of the promenade and walk to the northern end I can't recommend Moulerie le Fregate restaurant highly enough for a long lazy family friendly lunch. It's located here and is a short distance away from Explora Parc which is a great way to spend a few hours with the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Quick question for people with roof boxes - do you have any height issues getting into campsites abroad and at home?

Thanks

Quick question for people with roof boxes - do you have any height issues getting into campsites abroad and at home?

Thanks

most campsites take camper vans so hard to see how there could be an issue.

Make sure you tell the ferry company you have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Make sure you tell the ferry company you have one.

Why? Extra charge?

Why? Extra charge?

If you car is tall and you have roof box they will put you down the bottom with the trucks and buses (well brittany ferries will). They also ask if you have a bike rack and no extra charges, it is for space planning I assume.

kbannon wrote: »
    We've stayed in Le Château des Marais in the Loire Valley (beside Chambord). Lovely clean campsite with nice take away restaurant and great pool.

Eurocamp are there so you should be able to wrangle a good deal.

Thanks kbannon, we were actually there last year! Lovely campsite, but I think we will aim for hotels for our overnights on the way and way back. Just so that we don't have to do the bedclothes set up and mobile tidy up the next day... lazy, I know ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

If you car is tall and you have roof box they will put you down the bottom with the trucks and buses (well brittany ferries will). They also ask if you have a bike rack and no extra charges, it is for space planning I assume.

Anyone with a Hyundai Santa Fe and a roofbox able to tell me if it fits ok into any of the usual upper levels for general traffic?
    I'm assuming yes but assumpitions can sometimes bite you in the ....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

jay0109 wrote: »
    Anyone with a Hyundai Santa Fe and a roofbox able to tell me if it fits ok into any of the usual upper levels for general traffic?
    I'm assuming yes but assumpitions can sometimes bite you in the ....

I don't think so, but would probably depend on the size of the roofbox? Were you not asked to declare the size of the vehicle at booking? Also, just for my own curiosity, does it make any difference? I've often been in the bottom (passat with bikes on the roof) but never had any delay in getting out

• Advertisement

I don't think so, but would probably depend on the size of the roofbox? Were you not asked to declare the size of the vehicle at booking? Also, just for my own curiosity, does it make any difference? I've often been in the bottom (passat with bikes on the roof) but never had any delay in getting out

on BF the bottom is last on and first off which I like.

Advertisement