Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

j_mo wrote: »
    We were there the last two years and found it really good. They've got there own shop onsite which is ok and there's an intermache shop only a couple minutes away. Plenty of things to do onsite also, ranging from football to bowling to basketball. There's entertainment on in the evening time also. It's a decent base also if you are planning on going to Parc asterix or disneyland.

Yep defo planning at least 1 day in Disneyland, can I ask the entertainment in the evening is it Ok to bring kids along with you

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

lexi-lexi wrote: »
    Great idea I had family do this last year and they really enjoyed it ! Have you decided on /booked a campsite yet?

yeah, we're staying at la sirene in argeles sur mer. we booked with lifestyle holidays, it was much cheaper than eurocamp (we'd been there with them last year), and we were able to pick the exact plot on the park for our mobile home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

campo wrote: »
    Anyone been to La Croix du Vieux Pont Campsite in Paris that could provide some feedback, looking to go at end of may 2 Adults, 1 teenager (16) a 12 year old and 5 year old

Would this campsite be suitable and have stuff for all ages

I'll try to go into more detail later but we love the place. We drove from Cherbourg, approx 5 hours. Fabulous site though, loads to do for all ages, great pools, slides etc. Ideally located for Disneyland which is an hours drive away so we went twice during our 12 day stay on two occasions. Couldn't speak highly enough of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭legohouse

jay0109 wrote: »
    How did you manage that with Sol a GoGo? Contacted them directly?
    They were charging me nearly double what I paid in 2015 when I tried to book Summer 17 with them last October

I booked using the Sun Holidays promotion. Details are in the post

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

legohouse wrote: »
    I booked using the Sun Holidays promotion. Details are in the post

Oh PS thanks for that about to book a trip to La Croix du Vieux Pont with that and will save me at least 200e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

FrontDoor wrote: »
    Any thoughts on eastern France? Mountains, etc. Not necessarily a campsite.

June time, kids < 10.

How far East ? Annecy area is stunning. Lots to do, see and visit, and Walibi near Chambery. Weather can be just as good as rest of France. Nice campsites along the lake, you can watch paragliders' ballet while relaxing in the pool in Saint Jorioz (2 nice campsites).

https://www.google.ie/maps/uv?pb=!1s0x478b91422e6b2947:0xa88d4e4861f516e4&amp;hl=en-IE&amp;viewerState=ga

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Livefornow

campo wrote: »
    Anyone been to La Croix du Vieux Pont Campsite in Paris that could provide some feedback, looking to go at end of may 2 Adults, 1 teenager (16) a 12 year old and 5 year old

Would this campsite be suitable and have stuff for all ages

We've been to 9 Campsites in almost every corner of France. La Croix du Vieux Pont was one of the most memorable. Great site with loads to keep the kids entertained each day. Happy Hour in the Bar each evening 7-8pm where all drinks were buy one get one free.

Location is great for Disney, Paris etc. Also lots of WW1 and WW2 historical sites close by, Caverns Du Dragons has a preserved WW1 Trench and in Compiègne (where the Armistice to end WW1 was signed) there's a museum which is breathtaking in Historical significance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭webpal

Really struggling to find a campsite this year. We would like to go south of Vendee or to Languedoc Roussillion. A couple of musts are slides, walking distance to restaurants and beach and supermarket. Anyone any recommendations? I was looking at Les Mathes area but it just seems all campsites are not within walking distance of anywhere.

webpal wrote: »
    Really struggling to find a campsite this year. We would like to go south of Vendee or to Languedoc Roussillion. A couple of musts are slides, walking distance to restaurants and beach and supermarket. Anyone any recommendations? I was looking at Les Mathes area but it just seems all campsites are not within walking distance of anywhere.

http://www.camping-la-chapelle.co.uk/

we passed outside this place a few times last year, looked nice enough from the road anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

We stay in les mathes every year, why not rent some bikes and then you have a nice cycle to the village and good cycle lanes.

Are you not driving at all?

• Advertisement

We stay in les mathes every year, why not rent some bikes and then you have a nice cycle to the village and good cycle lanes.

Are you not driving at all?
    Havent decided yet, trying to find somewhere thats suits first, then we'll decide whether we fly or sail

Havent decided yet, trying to find somewhere thats suits first, then we'll decide whether we fly or sail

So what are you looking for ?

We stayed in les charmettes for the last 4 years. Kids love it as they have the kids club and they love the pool area also, two big slides, splash zone, heated outdoor pool and indoor pool. Restaurant is good and so is the night time entertainment.

The big supermarket is a drive and in Les Mathes, but la Playmre is 4k away and full of restaurants. Good cycle lanes to la Playmre. Two good beaches, both a drive, one in Marennes which is great for kids and one after la playmre we requires more supervision.

Its a big drive from the boat, we are flying this year.

So what are you looking for ?

We stayed in les charmettes for the last 4 years. Kids love it as they have the kids club and they love the pool area also, two big slides, splash zone, heated outdoor pool and indoor pool. Restaurant is good and so is the night time entertainment.

The big supermarket is a drive and in Les Mathes, but la Playmre is 4k away and full of restaurants. Good cycle lanes to la Playmre. Two good beaches, both a drive, one in Marennes which is great for kids and one after la playmre we requires more supervision.

Its a big drive from the boat, we are flying this year.

Yeah like the look of that place but its 4km from beach. I would like somewhere like Benodet. Stayed at Yelloh village there before and everything was within walking distance but Mrs wont go back. I guess what we are looking for are some of the smaller sites you would see when you zoom in on google maps, generally you wont find these on the operators websites. Was just wondering if anybody had stayed somewhere like this

Yeah like the look of that place but its 4km from beach. I would like somewhere like Benodet. Stayed at Yelloh village there before and everything was within walking distance but Mrs wont go back. I guess what we are looking for are some of the smaller sites you would see when you zoom in on google maps, generally you wont find these on the operators websites. Was just wondering if anybody had stayed somewhere like this

Can't remember seeing anything really close to the village, there is a hotel in the village.
    Bonse Anse Plage is close to the beach, maybe that will work?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭kfc1

Anyone drive to Les Charmettes? We are travelling mid June & thought it best to go as far south as poss for weather. This looks as far as I'd travel from Rosscoff. Is there enough to do around the site? Looking thru this thread has made me wonder if we are as well to stick to St Jean De Mont.........

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Juggler101

kfc1 wrote: »
    Anyone drive to Les Charmettes? We are travelling mid June & thought it best to go as far south as poss for weather. This looks as far as I'd travel from Rosscoff. Is there enough to do around the site? Looking thru this thread has made me wonder if we are as well to stick to St Jean De Mont.........

We have 3 young children (now 6, 4 and 2), and last year we found the trip from Cherbourg to Jean de Monts fairly long. It was easily 4.5 hours, and we stopped for an hour en route. If your kids are older/more easy going than our cranky crew, then Les Charmettes would probably be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Jpm123

Yes we drove down from Roscoff last year to la chamettes with three kids 7 5 3. It's a long drive about six hours plus stops on top. We stopped twice at two hour intervals. I think it worth it the place and area is beautiful with loads to do in the area. We booked for this year within two weeks of coming home last year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭billbond4

anyone know a website to get cheap breakdown assiatance / Travel insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

billbond4 wrote: »

Annual European family breakdown and evacuation insurance from Europes biggest "AA" organisaiton including coverage here in Ireland (when you call the breakdown number they send out the Irish AA) for 2 adults and 2 kids for circa €120 or so - https://www.adac.de/mitgliedschaft/adac_membership.

I've been a member for 3 years and find them very good. Best Europe wide coverage and great value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

billbond4 wrote: »

I always get a Ford service prior to the holiday, this comes with European breakdown cover. It got me out of trouble a couple of years ago when I had a dead battery in a Brittany supermarket! http://www.ford.co.uk/OwnerServices/VehicleServiceandRepair/ServicePromotions/RoadsideAssistance

• Advertisement

kfc1 wrote: »

HI,

We have done this for the last 3 years and there is a good bit around. I will list them off

1) Stables beside it is very good
    2) Forest play area beside it meant to be great
    3) Great bakery in les mathes
    4) Super U (supermarket) is after les mathes and aldi in les mathes
    5) Marrennes beach is great for small kids
    6) La playmre village down the road, alot of good places to eat
    7) Zoo down in la playmre
    8) La Rochelle is a hour drive away but a good aquarium and lovely harbour to have food at.
    9)Île de Ré is another great day drive, nice beaches
    10) Nice beach down from La Playmre.
    11) Great wine shop on the road to Royan

In les charmettes camp you have a good few play grounds, great swimming complex, good children clubs.

On the drive down we stopped at McDonalds before Nantes and another Mcdonalds about an hour away for ice cream. Our kids are now 4 & 6 almost 5 & 7 when hols come.
    Get dvd players for their car. Journey is grand in fairness

We are flying this year for something different, see how the kids handle it

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 15 clogher77

Great help on this thread. Thanks for all your suggestions.
    We booked the ferry for the last 2 weeks of August.
    We be narrowed the campsite down to siblu domaine de kerlann or la Bois Masson. Mainly because both will allow the 7 of us to occupy a six bed caravan with cot in lounge.
    Both quoting approx €1600 for 12 nights. Well 14 because Saturday to Saturday but we d only be there 12 but then we could check in early and out late I suppose.
    Any one have any comments/suggestions. I plan to book campsite today as siblu 25% off finishes this evening.
    Thanks clogher

clogher77 wrote: »
    We be narrowed the campsite down to siblu domaine de kerlann or la Bois Masson. Mainly because both will allow the 7 of us to occupy a six bed caravan with cot in lounge.
    Both quoting approx €1600 for 12 nights. Well 14 because Saturday to Saturday but we d only be there 12 but then we could check in early and out late I suppose.
    Any one have any comments/suggestions. I plan to book campsite today as siblu 25% off finishes this evening.
    Thanks clogher

I can certainly vouch for Le Bois Masson. Very well run site, great restaurant, Nice pool complex including indoor pool and the St Jean de Mont area is wonderful for food, activities and has a great beach.

€1,600 for a 6 bed sounds good value. It might be worth contacting the owners of the three mobiles for rent privately in Le Bois Masson all of which sleep 8 to see if they are offering a better deal (https://www.directholidayhomes.co.uk/bois_masson) but bear in mind that fun passes are typically not included and with 7 people for two weeks that could add up to €250 or so.

clogher77 wrote: »
    Thanks clogher

They are quite different sites, we've stayed at both. Kerlann is on a relatively large land area, and there are a lot of open areas and good space between mobile homes, the pool has a nice splash zone area for younger kids, however the athmosphere overall is very quiet, by 9pm things have wound down almost completely. it has the benefit of being only an hour from the ferry though. The on site shop is pretty sparse, and the nearest aldi etc is a bit of a drive away, and the town of Pont aven wouldnt be in walking distance by any means. The walled coastal town of Concarnea is not terribly far away, and is definitely worth a day trip or two to check out.

The twin sites of Bois Dormant / Bois Masson are much more lively, and would have more for the kids to do in terms of playgrounds etc. you're also very close to one of the biggest beaches ive ever seen, and St Jean De monts has endless possibility in terms of places to eat etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭kfc1

Thanks folks for the helpful replies. I like the sound of Les Charmettes however other half thinks the drive too far :-( Was overcome by temptation by Webpal's discount code and have booked Domaine de la Brèche for 4 nts and Le Littoral for 8 nights dept 10 June. Looking forward to it and hope these sites are as good as Les Charmettes promised to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭happydays5

Hi I am about to book la sirene .... i think .....! (Nervous laugh!) anyone on here been there? Never done a camping holiday before always apartments in Canaries/ Spain /Portugal .... is there much to do in the area do you need a car - what are restaurants/bars like? Is it expensive? Sorry for the interrogation! Kids are 12,13,10

happydays5 wrote: »
    Hi I am about to book la sirene .... i think .....! (Nervous laugh!) anyone on here been there? Never done a camping holiday before always apartments in Canaries/ Spain /Portugal .... is there much to do in the area do you need a car - what are restaurants/bars like? Is it expensive? Sorry for the interrogation! Kids are 12,13,10

Check out this comprehensive review of La Sirene by Stone Deaf 4evr who is a regular and knowledgeable contributor to this thread. IIRC he's going back this year (but flying this time) which is a good endorsement.

I did a bit of a write up after I got back last year, you can find it here,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100391897&postcount=954

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭legohouse

The closing date for The Sun promotion is 17th February
    Still availability in July for some of the Campsites mentioned in this thread - Clarys Plage, Des ormes, La Croix de Veux Point, Des Menhirs
    See attached sample of dates

I saved over €700 v the Eurocamp advertised price for my bookings!

legohouse wrote: »
    Just a heads up for those who haven't booked their campsites for France yet.
    I have managed to book 7 Nights in Sol a Gogo for £172.50 and a weekend in Des Ormes for £82.50.
    So all in... 10 nights accommodation in France from 7th July for just over £250

The Sun newspaper run a Holidays for £9.50 promo mainly for UK campsites but it also includes lots of European Campsites incl lots of popular ones like Des Ormes, Clerys Plage, etc
    They have 3 options:
    3 Nights - Fri-Sun @ £15.00pp
    4 Nights - Mon-Thu @ £15.00pp
    7 Nights - Mon-Sun @ £30.00pp
    Min Numbers are 4 and Max for European sites is 6

You have to collect 10 different tokens from the newspaper but the codes are available here -
    https://www.holidaypirates.com/holidaypackages/sun-holiday-codes-950-holidays-collect-your-holiday-tokens_15076
    Once you have the codes, Book here - https://ukholidaysinthesun.co.uk/2017/

The European Campsites are effectively all the Eurocamp ones.
    However the promotion only gives you a Basic Mobile (Eurocamp - Classic), limited dates available and there are no amendments possible once booked.
    Dates are also available at easter (I got 7 nights at campsite in Costa Dorade for the same £120 price)

Closing date is 17th Feb but i 'd be quick dates are going very fast

Saved a few quid on the ferry too but that's for another post :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

In relation to your kids, I was in la sirene as a teenager and I have great memories, best holiday I was ever on when younger with my parents so I'm sure your kids would love it!

Advertisement