Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭76544567

legohouse wrote: »
    The closing date for The Sun promotion is 17th February
    Still availability in July for some of the Campsites mentioned in this thread - Clarys Plage, Des ormes, La Croix de Veux Point, Des Menhirs
    See attached sample of dates

I saved over €700 v the Eurocamp advertised price for my bookings!

I tried that.
    It wants a UK post code etc.
    Looks like you cant book it from Ireland

edit.
    Never mind. The other half persevered and put in a uk postcode with our irish address and we got the email confirmation.
    Wonder what happens now. Do we just wait for the campsite to contact us or what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭legohouse

76544567 wrote: »
    I tried that.
    It wants a UK post code etc.
    Looks like you cant book it from Ireland

edit.
    Never mind. The other half persevered and put in a uk postcode with our irish address and we got the email confirmation.
    Wonder what happens now. Do we just wait for the campsite to contact us or what happens.

Yes. I just put in my Parcel Motel postcode. You get email confirmation from the sun immediately.
    You then get confirmation from Eurocamp approx a week/10 days later with your Eurocamp reference (don't book flights/Ferry until you get the Eurocamp confirmation)
    Plus they send you the invoice for the balance outstanding - you have to pay the £7.50 per night supplement plus a £15 damage waiver
    But it still works out at £180 for a week all in which is still great value

Yes. I just put in my Parcel Motel postcode. You get email confirmation from the sun immediately.
    You then get confirmation from Eurocamp approx a week/10 days later with your Eurocamp reference (don't book flights/Ferry until you get the Eurocamp confirmation)
    Plus they send you the invoice for the balance outstanding - you have to pay the £7.50 per night supplement plus a £15 damage waiver
    But it still works out at £180 for a week all in which is still great value

Seems like excellent value.
    Thanks for posting it.
    Never been to a campsite and the little lad is mad to go, so off we go for a week in summer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭happydays5

I did a bit of a write up after I got back last year, you can find it here,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100391897&postcount=954

Super review - you must be a travel writer - so helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭aquarius10

Hi

I hope I get advice and help from those of you who have recently been to Cambrils Park. There doesn't seem to be any recent post on planning a trip to Cambrils Park so here goes.......

We are thinking about going there at end of June 2018 and from reading reviews of the place we would probably need to book it in the next few months ? I also gather that booking direct gets the best price and site ? Is this correct ? I'll ring Eurocamp & Al Fresco around Mid-March for prices to compare.

We have two kids who will be 6 & 5 then and from looking at their website it's hard to pick accomodation - any tips in this area would be appreciated. The Bonita villas look lovely but are pricey. i am basing my calculations on 2017 prices - I presume 2018 will be more again ?

The 1 bed Mediterranean apartment might be too small as the kids will need to sleep on the sofa's and then we can't sit there at night if they sleep early. The 2 bed is more expensive than Villa Bonitas. Plus I don't think the apartments have any sun shades area ? I'm not sure so please correct me if I'm wrong.

The kids are still young and in bed around 9 but have stayed up till 11 some nights on previous holidays once they are kept entertained. So location would also be important, in that it's not too noisy.

A few reviews on Trip advisor mentioned ants in the Aloha and also the Bonita villas 😟. I don't want to pay €200 a night to be in the company of ants for 2 weeks. From reading reviews the staff on site aren't much help if there are any problems.

I've checked out flights too, probably use Ryair to Reus if price is right ? When is best time to get good price on flights for June- July travelling. I know I've a lot of questions but I've never been before and usually this is the best place to get help. Thanks in advance

Lisa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Too early to be booking for that.

I phoned Cambrils and they are taking bookings for 2018 in March this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Hi all, got a great deal over Easter for 5 nights in La Vallee, Houlgate in Normandy. Now I know Easter is very late this year but the weather could well be a bit grim! The pools and bars will be open but no kids clubs. Has anybody been to this site?, will the pools be freezing in April?! Any recommendations of things to do in the area (child friendly!) would be most appreciated! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Hi all, got a great deal over Easter for 5 nights in La Vallee, Houlgate in Normandy. Now I know Easter is very late this year but the weather could well be a bit grim! The pools and bars will be open but no kids clubs. Has anybody been to this site?, will the pools be freezing in April?! Any recommendations of things to do in the area (child friendly!) would be most appreciated! Thanks

I see on their website the outside aquatic space is only open from 1st May, but the indoor pool seems lovely. Maybe if the weather was brilliant they might open up the outside for Easter but tbh I don't think the temps would justify it at that time of year.
    There'll be plenty to do in that area, and the campsite itself will have plenty of suggestions, like smaller fun parks for kids, etc... Caen is a big place so if you have a car, you'll never be far from indoor play areas. (McDonalds and Quick always have little play areas too, so even if you organize something more adult-y like visiting a museum, or strolling and shopping in town, you can always slot in a stop at a fast food and let kids play a while).

I'm sorry I haven't stayed in that very area so I can't be more precise. I tend to go nearer Cherbourg (Omaha Beach).

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭NickTellis

Slightly off topic but have booked cabin (4 bed 2 star with window) on Oscar Wilde to Cherbourg beginning of July for a family of 5. Have prepared myself for the worst in terms of being cramped in there but does anyone have any ideas of the actual size of these cabins just so I can lower the rest of the family's expectations accordingly. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

You'll have about 3 foot between the two beds and the room is about 10 foot long.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

The fold out beds are actually very comfortable, and easily wide enough for two kids.
    When they are all in the sleeping position, there is only about 30 inches floor space between them. Leave everything you can in the car/camper. Just a bag of snacks and a few books/games/dvd player etc to amuse the kids. Do not bring a buggy/stroller.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Juggler101

We've done this with 5 people, and we're doing it again this summer, despite me finding it fairly torturous! It's fine if your kids are willing to sleep together. Mine would kill each other, so I have to bunk in with one of them. It's tight enough having an adult share with a child, I don't sleep too well, but other people may find it fine!
    NickTellis wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but have booked cabin (4 bed 2 star with window) on Oscar Wilde to Cherbourg beginning of July for a family of 5. Have prepared myself for the worst in terms of being cramped in there but does anyone have any ideas of the actual size of these cabins just so I can lower the rest of the family's expectations accordingly. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭webpal

They are fine. The amount of time all 5 of you will be in there at once will be minimal (other than sleeping). One of the beds turns into a couch so you can sit if required. We kept the buggy in the shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

When we went on the boat to France we always booked the 5 star cabin. 2 adult and 2 kids. It was very handy, loads of room for them to play and then fold out bed for the two kids.

If you have young kids ie under 4, you will get preference on the elevators also, which is good.

The bag you bring on the boat, keep it at a handy location in the car so easy to get at.

Also bring the kids to the shop on the boat, they get something small to play with.

The bistro is grand for food for the kids and yourself, typical canteen food.

Not sure what the bistro is like for breakfast as we always went to the restaurant as more organised

Never brought the buggy, but every kid is different and we never went to the bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

Be great if you could book the presidential suite, it's about a 5 by 5 meter square with a big double bed and hardwood floors, you'd feel at home in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭legohouse

76544567 wrote: »
    Seems like excellent value.
    Thanks for posting it.
    Never been to a campsite and the little lad is mad to go, so off we go for a week in summer :)

Did you get your confirmation from Eurocamp?

Did you get your confirmation from Eurocamp?

I did.
    The extras that you have to pay came to more than the price given but it's still a good bit cheaper than the quote we got on the eurocamps website.
    I was glad to see the accommodation turned out to be a mobile and not a tent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Pulled the trigger for flights for our hols in La Sirene for june 3rd(15 nights)Dub/Carcassone rtn for 4 Inc bags for €765. It's our 1st time going to France by air rather than sailing so looking forward to the xtra 2 days. Loved the whole ferry experience but got out voted this year. Will work out so much cheaper as well even factoring in car hire at €350. Won't miss the drive from Roscoff to Argeles and back.. Will miss the WBS red bus wine shop thou...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Pulled the trigger for flights for our hols in La Sirene for june 3rd(15 nights)Dub/Carcassone rtn for 4 Inc bags for €765. It's our 1st time going to France by air rather than sailing so looking forward to the xtra 2 days. Loved the whole ferry experience but got out voted this year. Will work out so much cheaper as well even factoring in car hire at €350. Won't miss the drive from Roscoff to Argeles and back.. Will miss the WBS red bus wine shop thou...

Nice one, the epic wine haul is the downside alright. On the flipside, myself and the wife are laughing at how we'll be leaving cork at 6am and will be poolside for 2pm onthe same day, as opposed to 2 days later by ferry. And all in I reckon we're saving over a grand by flying.

I am a bit nostalgic for the boat though, its a real sense of the holiday beginning as soon as you leave the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Will miss the WBS red bus wine shop thou...
    This used to be a big part of our reason for driving but not so much any more although we still bring 50-60 bottles home between what we buy locally in supermarkets because we found something on holiday we really like (Mostly Muscadet Sur Lie) and what we then "top up" the car with (cases under the kids feet and in every spare bit of space in the car) when we get to Roscoff :D

The only place I go to in Roscoff these days is La Cave which is about 700m past the red bus shop on the right at the next roundabout on the way into Roscoff. It's run by a couple (Solenne and Vincent) who really know and love wine, have perfect English and are a pleasure to deal with. I've never been disappointed with anything we bought there.

Nice one, the epic wine haul is the downside alright. On the flipside, myself and the wife are laughing at how we'll be leaving cork at 6am and will be poolside for 2pm onthe same day, as opposed to 2 days later by ferry. And all in I reckon we're saving over a grand by flying.

I am a bit nostalgic for the boat though, its a real sense of the holiday beginning as soon as you leave the car.

Apart from the wine I'd really miss not having our own bikes and all our own gear. We love going for long spins in the morning and don't think we'd do that on the sort of bikes you can rent onsite.

My eldest will be 17 for summer 2018 and I'm expecting he'll start to push back against another camping holiday at that stage as it's all we've really done for the last 6-7 years. He loved La Reserve last year (aged 15) with it's teen friendly/dedicated music bar/club which opens at 22:30 and closes at 01:00 and I'm sure will love it this year but not sure we'll get 2018 out of it which may mean hopping on a plane and heading further south or doing a hotel/apartment based package holiday of some sort :eek:

For me that'll be a bit of a sad day as like you I (we) love the whole ferry and the big drive to the campsite ritual etc.

Can anyone help out with advice ?
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Will miss the WBS red bus wine shop thou...
    This used to be a big part of our reason for driving but not so much any more although we still bring 50-60 bottles home between what we buy locally in supermarkets because we found something on holiday we really like (Mostly Muscadet Sur Lie) and what we then "top up" the car with (cases under the kids feet and in every spare bit of space in the car) when we get to Roscoff :D I'm planning to do a wine run in September to compensate, Irish Ferries do a two day trip which is very reasonable and you get a few hours in Roscoff .

The only place I go to in Roscoff these days is La Cave which is about 700m past the red bus shop on the right at the next roundabout on the way into Roscoff. It's run by a couple (Solenne and Vincent) who really knows and love wine, have perfect English and are a pleasure to deal with. I've never been disappointed with anything we bought there.

I was delighted at the price for the flights then again you have so many airports within a couple of hours drive of Argeles you can just pick the one that suits best. After doing a two day trek before to La Sirene a 90min drive from Carcassonne will be a dream..

I was delighted at the price for the flights then again you have so many airports within a couple of hours drive of Argeles you can just pick the one that suits best. After doing a two day trek before to La Sirene a 90min drive from Carcassonne will be a dream..

Hard to argue with that all right. Our spin to La Reserve is 750km's from Roscoff and will take about 10 hours with food breaks etc which is partly why I insist on making it a 3 week trip.

Its 32 hours door to door so to do that twice in 2 weeks and effectively take 4 days out of a 14 day holiday instead of just 2 isn't something I think I could do.

I've a feeling I'll be going fly drive in 2018 and who knows, once I do I'll probably be on here preaching it's benefits and wondering how I ever used to enjoy the ferry and big drive!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭webpal

Its 32 hours door to door so to do that twice in 2 weeks and effectively take 4 days out of a 14 day holiday instead of just 2 isn't something I think I could do.

I love it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Niamh3697

Just like to hear what people thought of La Ruisseau campsite in Biarritz in south France. Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ftm2008

Looking at booking a campsite ,, one around Vendee location in so maybe Sol a Gogo or Les Genets..
    Reading reviews on trip advisor I see some book through Kelair. I normally book direct for holidays so what would Kelair compared to booking directly with campsite.
    booking direct seems to give more options on accommodation but I think there are Kelair Reps onsite so is this any help.
    any opinions? Also any recommendations on campsites in that location or at least ones to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerd4

Paid the balance owing on siblu la reserve and got the confirmation email with van details etc. Cant wait to go now.

Can any one tell me how the fun pass works? I thought they were wrist bands but siblu are suggesting to use an app for the passes? Thats ok but my kids wont have phones only me and the wife.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

mikerd4 wrote: »
    Paid the balance owing on siblu la reserve and got the confirmation email with van details etc. Cant wait to go now.

Can any one tell me how the fun pass works? I thought they were wrist bands but siblu are suggesting to use an app for the passes? Thats ok but my kids wont have phones only me and the wife.

not sure about la reserve, but other camps Ive been to, it was either a little tag that you can hang on a lanyard, or else one of those tamper proof wristbands.

Advertisement