Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Animal and pet issues is not closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I thought pets are either housed in their on-board kennels or stay in your car.

http://www.stenaline.ie/ferries-to-france/pet-travel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Baybay

I travel regularly with our cat between Cherbourg & Rosslare but with Irish Ferries. Im afraid I don't know if Stena have similar facilities but I can tell you how IF work.

There is a room on one of the car decks, separate to the dogs area, with individual cages for up to 9 cats. Each cage has a litter tray inside & spare litter is provided. There is also a tap for water.
    On check in, I am given time slots during the voyage when a member of staff will provide access to the animals. As it is on the car deck, neither I nor anyone else can go there unaccompanied, which I think is a good thing.
    Food is not provided.
    I'm sure you know already but a pet passport is required detailing vaccinations, microchip etc which must be shown in either port before embarking.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sandypas76

That's not what I see from my end, otherwise I wouldn't have said it. It says (CLOSED) and it's not possible to insert a new query.
    If you see a different one, please send me the link.
    In any case, the topic is travelling with a pet on a ferry
    , so this Forum seems appropriate to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

sandypas76 wrote: »
    That's not what I see from my end, otherwise I wouldn't have said it. It says (CLOSED) and it's not possible to insert a new query.
    If you see a different one, please send me the link.
    In any case, the topic is travelling with a pet on a ferry
    , so this Forum seems appropriate to me.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=240

^ That's the main forum (not the Sub-forum which is actually closed).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭aquarius10

Wayne

Have a look at La Clarys Plage near St. Jean de Monts, we stayed here after a week at La Garangeoire last year and actually preferred La Clarys Plage. It was closer to the beach and nearby towns and was a lovely central site for exploring the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

aquarius10 wrote: »
    Wayne

Have a look at La Clarys Plage near St. Jean de Monts, we stayed here after a week at La Garangeoire last year and actually preferred La Clarys Plage. It was closer to the beach and nearby towns and was a lovely central site for exploring the area.
    I dont think Clarys Plage rent out pitches for people to bring their own caravans as there just isnt the room but open to correction, I can only remember ever seeing fixed mobile homes / tents provided by Eurocamp, canvas, hello france etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

talla wrote: »
    I dont think Clarys Plage rent out pitches for people to bring their own caravans as there just isnt the room but open to correction, I can only remember ever seeing fixed mobile homes / tents provided by Eurocamp, canvas, hello france etc.

Les gennets is about 200m up the road from Clary's plage and does have a limited number of pitches for drive-in units but I would imagine pre booking would be vital.

Thanks BayBay for your reply.

I received a reply from a staff member of Stena Line.
    This is what she wrote:

"The toileting needs of your pets are your responsibility, So I would suggest that you bring anything necessary with you for this."

I said to her that this doesn't seem that well organised and might consider booking with Irish Ferries instead!

They give flexibility with visits time (you can visit at any time)...which is good in theory.
    I've asked the size of their kennels for cats. I dont know if I can fit a litter tray in the kennel but I might consider placing a plastic bag spread open with sand.

They say you can "walk your pet on the outer deck" but this is more suitable for dogs than cats. I will have him on leash of course but that's not the way to have him go to the toilet...

Baybay wrote: »
    On check in, I am given time slots during the voyage when a member of staff will provide access to the animals. As it is on the car deck, neither I nor anyone else can go there unaccompanied, which I think is a good thing.

Baybay, do you remember how many times are you allowed to visit your pet? Is it something like once in the evening and once the morning after?
    I guess there is no visit time at night..
    I'd be asleep, even if I know that my cat usually wakes up at about 6am for his needs. But if they provide a litter tray, he'll be fine.
    How long is each visit for (30 minutes? Less?)?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Ki ki

talla wrote: »
    aquarius10 wrote: »
    Wayne

I'm certain I've seen motor homes and caravans but for the life of me can't think of where they set up base. Afraid I was imagining it, I checked Clarys' website and they do have pitches for tents and tourers etc.

We've been to Clarys a few times. It's a great site! We stay with KelAir/Campotel. I'm surprised people don't mention them more? We wouldn't travel with anyone else.

Next time, I'll take a good walk round to see where all the campers are hiding 😊

What happened to my thread?
    It got jumbled up with another thread about feery to France.
    I don't know who moved it but it doesn't fit here.
    Can it be put back on its own?
    This is not helping me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

We were in Berny Riviere (la croix du vieux pont) in July a few years ago.
    I thought it was lovely the first 2 days and then it rained for two weeks solid after that. Totally ruined the holiday.
    If I was going to a camp site again id go much further South, to minimise the chance of a rain ruined holiday.

Baybay, do you remember how many times are you allowed to visit your pet? Is it something like once in the evening and once the morning after?
    I guess there is no visit time at night..
    I'd be asleep, even if I know that my cat usually wakes up at about 6am for his needs. But if they provide a litter tray, he'll be fine.
    How long is each visit for (30 minutes? Less?)?
    Thanks

It's about five visits between departure & arrival, say 3 before bed & 2 in the morning. There are none during the night.
    A litter tray is provided in each cage & also extra litter & a scoop.
    I usually spend a few minutes clearing the tray, feeding the cat & having a bit of a chat! Maybe ten minutes or so. For our cat, it's enough as any longer & he thinks he should get out. I don't want him to do that, just in case. He travels with a secure bucked collar & an extendable leash, allowing some freedom & security.

Baybay wrote: »
    It's about five visits between departure & arrival, say 3 before bed & 2 in the morning. There are none during the night.
    A litter tray is provided in each cage & also extra litter & a scoop.
    I usually spend a few minutes clearing the tray, feeding the cat & having a bit of a chat! Maybe ten minutes or so. For our cat, it's enough as any longer & he thinks he should get out. I don't want him to do that, just in case. He travels with a secure bucked collar & an extendable leash, allowing some freedom & security.

Yes, I understand what you mean when you say that you don't want to stay too long. I noticed with my cat when we go in the car that if I speak to him, he keeps miaowing, but if I am quite then he stays quiet and I'd better not talk or he'll get excited again.

Stena Line staff said that cats and dogs kennels are in the same space, even if they do their best to keep the pets separate.
    And people can visit at any time. I thought it was a good thing but probably it's not, because anyone can go there and stay as long as they want, dogs can stay excited and bark and someone might bother my cat.
    I remember you pointed out that on Irish Ferries you can only go there accompanied and the room is locked. I can see now why this is a good thing.

I was disappointed to realise that they don't seem that well organised.
    I'm considering cancelling my booking and going with Irish Ferries.
    It will be more expensive but that's not my main concern.

If I swap company, then I would take a train from Paris that arrives in Cherbourg train station at 15:19. Since the ferry boat is at 18:00, I must check in the cat by 16:00.
    If I take a taxi from the station, I should be at the port in 5 minutes (so they wrote on the Cherbourg Port website...) provided the train arrives on time!
    Have you been at the train station? Do you know if it's easy to get a taxi from outside the train station?

Thanks a lot again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Yes, I understand what you mean when you say that you don't want to stay too long. I noticed with my cat when we go in the car that if I speak to him, he keeps miaowing, but if I am quite then he stays quiet and I'd better not talk or he'll get excited again.

Stena Line staff said that cats and dogs kennels are in the same space, even if they do their best to keep the pets separate.
    And people can visit at any time. I thought it was a good thing but probably it's not, because anyone can go there and stay as long as they want, dogs can stay excited and bark and someone might bother my cat.
    I remember you pointed out that on Irish Ferries you can only go there accompanied and the room is locked. I can see now why this is a good thing.

I was disappointed to realise that they don't seem that well organised.
    I'm considering cancelling my booking and going with Irish Ferries.
    It will be more expensive but that's not my main concern.

If I swap company, then I would take a train from Paris that arrives in Cherbourg train station at 15:19. Since the ferry boat is at 18:00, I must check in the cat by 16:00.
    If I take a taxi from the station, I should be at the port in 5 minutes (so they wrote on the Cherbourg Port website...) provided the train arrives on time!
    Have you been at the train station? Do you know if it's easy to get a taxi from outside the train station?

Thanks a lot again.

A serious query, would it not be easier to get a flight to where you're going? It seems like a lot of work taking an animal that distance by public transport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

I've been back to La Garangeoire 9 times over 10 years and I gave up trying somewhere else after the first 3 years of one week in La Garangeoire and one week on another campsite.
    If you are someone who likes to sit by the pool and relax and have no worries about the safety of your children this place is perfect.
    It mainly filled with Irish and English so your kids will have no trouble making friends.

Have you been at the train station? Do you know if it's easy to get a taxi from outside the train station? .

I'm afraid I don't know anything about the train station as I've never been there.

A serious query, would it not be easier to get a flight to where you're going? It seems like a lot of work taking an animal that distance by public transport

Unless things have changed, flying with pets isn't that commonly available in Europe, or maybe that's just on routes where we would want to bring our cat. For example, Ryanair don't offer that service. According to their website, Aer Lingus may, on selected routes requiring plenty of pre-planning & travel in particular crates etc. I've never seriously looked into this option as we'd be bringing the car anyway so the ferry suits us.

sandypas76 wrote:
    Do you know if it's easy to get a taxi from outside the train station?

The train station in Cherbourg is quite central and there are loads of taxis. There might even be a bus to the ferry port but a taxi will be quick and cheap.

• Advertisement

I think there is a branch line from the main station in Cherbourg to the Gare Maritime at the Port but I don't know how reliable or frequent it is. I would assume it is synchronised with ferry departures and arrivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭benny79

Hi Folks I was all set to book a camping holiday in France travelling on the 17th June done loads of research just about to pull the trigger and the missus tells me are eldest has exams on 21st, 22th (junior cert) Doh.. So rang company and its €1500 dearer the following week :mad:

Price doesnt come down till 2nd Sept! and is cheaper again. Has anyone travelled to campsites in Sept is the weather good? are they still busy? I'm looking at Domaine dos ormes in Brittana

I have never done this type of holiday before and any help appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

benny79 wrote: »
    Hi Folks I was all set to book a camping holiday in France travelling on the 17th June done loads of research just about to pull the trigger and the missus tells me are eldest has exams on 21st, 22th (junior cert) Doh.. So rang company and its €1500 dearer the following week :mad:

Price doesnt come down till 2nd Sept! and is cheaper again. Has anyone travelled to campsites in Sept is the weather good? are they still busy? I'm looking at Domaine dos ormes in Brittana

Benny, cant help you with how busy the sites are, but if you google your destination and 'historical weather' you'll be able to get a rough idea of what you'll be in store for.

hope it all works out for you.

benny79 wrote:

I can't speak about camp sites but the weather in early September is usually lovely.

First Up wrote: »
    I can't speak about camp sites but the weather in early September is usually lovely.

Cheers First up I know no one can predict the weather.. I was thinking to myself the weather is usually good here in September :) Just need to know if the campsites are still bust travel agent said site doesnt close till end of Sept and are busy but of course they are going to say that.. Just looking for a few opinions..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Cheers First up I know no one can predict the weather.. I was thinking to myself the weather is usually good here in September :) Just need to know if the campsites are still bust travel agent said site doesnt close till end of Sept and are busy but of course they are going to say that.. Just looking for a few opinions..:D

My understanding is that whilst most sites don't actually close until the end of Sept they do start to get very quiet after the end of August and some may start to reduce the services and entertainment available etc relative to what you'd expect in high season e.g. shorter opening times for shops, bars and restaurants, no big on stage evening entertainment etc as a lot of staff are university students who will be returning to college in Sept.

If you get nice weather the upside could be that you have easier/more relaxing access to the pool and beach etc than high season.

Best to check with the individual campsite to find out when they start to reduce services.

My understanding is that whilst most sites don't actually close until the end of Sept they do start to get very quiet after the end of August and some may start to reduce the services and entertainment available etc relative to what you'd expect in high season e.g. shorter opening times for shops, bars and restaurants, no big on stage evening entertainment etc as a lot of staff are university students who will be returning to college in Sept.

If you get nice weather the upside could be that you have easier/more relaxing access to the pool and beach etc than high season.

Best to check with the individual campsite to find out when they start to reduce services.

Yeah thats what Im kinda afraid off to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Peckham

I did the first two weeks in September (2014) in La Sirene in Argeles Sur Mer. Weather was great, but that's a lot further south than where you're thinking of!

Have done a few holidays in France in September, and a few in high season, the change in the type of people there is very noticeable. Go in July and August and everywhere is full of school-aged kids. Go in September and everywhere is full of pre-school kids/very young kids. Plus lots of people with no kids at all (once you leave the campsite).

Would presume that most of the sites shut down their kids clubs at end of August, but this probably differs locally.

To be honest, thats where I started my research from but I simply gave up the flight option.
    Like Baybay pointed out, it's not that straightforward and I need to add that the transportation of my cat alone would cost me €1000 from airport to airport without counting the return flight tickets for me to go to Italy and fly back. For €1300 they'll take him from doorstep to doorstep.

The Irish Department of Agriculture ensured that there are no restrictions imposed, pets are no longer requiredto travel as manifested freight. it's up to the individual airlines to allow pets in the cabin.
    Initially, KLM and Lufthansa staff told me that it was possible to fly to Dublin with my cat in the cabin.
    This was said over a few phone calls.
    However, when I called to make an actual booking. ..it turns out that pers cannot fly into Ireland in the cabin! I was utterly frustrated. I couldn't find an airline transporting pets in the cabin on any routes to Ireland.

So I explored this cargo thing.
    It's nonsense.
    I contacted and got quotes from 3 cargo companies based in Rome (because it has to be a company based at the departure location). The cheapest quote was around €650 I think.
    The point is that I could have my cat boarded on an Aerlingus cargo flight....leaving from Rome at 11.15am...which coincidetally is the same flight I could also book for myself, so I would be in the passengers cabin whereas the cat would be in a pressurised are underneath the passengers cabin ....but I can't book him through the customer service. I must book him through a cargo company at tge indicated cost.

The trip via train and ferry is going to cost me €350 and I will have the opportunity to visit a couple of friends along the way. It's going to be a long trip but Im ok with this. It's a once in a lifetime experience!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

peeps

whats a good site(s) for trawling my options in Brittany/Loire/Vendee.
    Have the ferry booked for August, now looking at my options in campsites.
    cheers

Advertisement