Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

sandypas76 wrote: »
    To be honest, thats where I started my research from but I simply gave up the flight option.
    Like Baybay pointed out, it's not that straightforward and I need to add that the transportation of my cat alone would cost me €1000 from airport to airport without counting the return flight tickets for me to go to Italy and fly back. For €1300 they'll take him from doorstep to doorstep.

The Irish Department of Agriculture ensured that there are no restrictions imposed, pets are no longer requiredto travel as manifested freight. it's up to the individual airlines to allow pets in the cabin.
    Initially, KLM and Lufthansa staff told me that it was possible to fly to Dublin with my cat in the cabin.
    This was said over a few phone calls.
    However, when I called to make an actual booking. ..it turns out that pers cannot fly into Ireland in the cabin! I was utterly frustrated. I couldn't find an airline transporting pets in the cabin on any routes to Ireland.

So I explored this cargo thing.
    It's nonsense.
    I contacted and got quotes from 3 cargo companies based in Rome (because it has to be a company based at the departure location). The cheapest quote was around €650 I think.
    The point is that I could have my cat boarded on an Aerlingus cargo flight....leaving from Rome at 11.15am...which coincidetally is the same flight I could also book for myself, so I would be in the passengers cabin whereas the cat would be in a pressurised are underneath the passengers cabin ....but I can't book him through the customer service. I must book him through a cargo company at tge indicated cost.

The trip via train and ferry is going to cost me €350 and I will have the opportunity to visit a couple of friends along the way. It's going to be a long trip but Im ok with this. It's a once in a lifetime experience!

just an idea, you could always get the ferry to the uk and fly onwards from there, probably a fair bit faster too. the swift ferry from dublin to holyhead is only 2 hours. get to birmingham from there (3 or four hours on a train) and you could get wherever you wanted.

best of luck either way, hope it works out for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

peeps

whats a good site(s) for trawling my options in Brittany/Loire/Vendee.
    Have the ferry booked for August, now looking at my options in campsites.
    cheers

Recommend Dol de Bretagne in Brittany. A couple of hours drive from Roscoff/Cherbourg. Close to Normandy Beaches,Bayeaux, Mont StMichel, St.Malo, Rennes, Dinard/Dinan.
    God I wish I was going back this year. Love the place.

If you've 2 or 3 weeks booked recommend the drive down to Biarritz in the south of France.
    A nice drive down, on the Spanish border, plenty of sunshine, the Pyrennes, St. Jean de Luz, St. Sebastien.
    Theres a nice little site outside Biarritz, can't think of the name of it right now, but would also suggest Pierre et Vacances website for a google.
    Some very reasonable, but quality accomodation in various locations throughout.
    Bon Voyage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭benny79

Is it worth going to these campsites in France Brittany in the first week of Sept? As I am hearing mixed reports the most the facilities be closed! but surely they want to make as much money as possible over the season as in June to Sept is only 4 months and short enough! I dont mind the resort's be quieter as long as you can still access everything..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I know we went to a campsite in late June, and they told us the pool facilities etc weren't operational till July onwards, so there is definitely some restrictions out of peak season

Yeah the resort I am thinking of going to, the travel agent said the indoor pool be closed. But she doesnt know what else its a bit ridiculous imo.. But I know I left it to late to book but never done one of these holidays before.. was all set to book 3th week in june till I found out our else has 2 exams left that week (Junior cert) Ferry is nearly 3 times the price then till Sept :( nightmare now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

benny79 wrote: »
    Yeah the resort I am thinking of going to, the travel agent said the indoor pool be closed. But she doesnt know what else its a bit ridiculous imo.. But I know I left it to late to book but never done one of these holidays before.. was all set to book 3th week in june till I found out our else has 2 exams left that week (Junior cert) Ferry is nearly 3 times the price then till Sept :( nightmare now...

If you put a few hours into contacting the owners of privately owned mobiles on the campsites which are often the ones referenced in this thread (https://www.directholidayhomes.co.uk/france) you'd be surprised at the deals you can get relative to paying the campsite direct. You need to bear in mind that in addition to paying the owner for the mobile home you may also have to pay the site for access to the entertainment/pool area (with Siblu their fun pass costs €36 per week per adult and €18 per week per child.

Another option is https://www.homeaway.co.uk which has some mobile homes on campsites but also has holiday homes all over France which might be an alternative for you.

Are you tied to the ferry Benny? we've taken it every year, but this time, we're flying to barcelona and driving north to La Sirene, near perpignan - 2 hour or so drive. If you can get a ryanair flight to Barcelona Reus, its an even shorter drive. perpignan is also only a 20 minute drive away.

if you ring one of the irish companies like eurocamp, they'll be able to fill you in on whats going to be open or closed at each particular camp. they can also make recommendations based off their own knowledge and you'll be free to price around other companies for the best deal at your leisure.

I actually rang the campsite itself and the girl at reception went off and checked and said everything is opened apart from the kids club ,pedal bikes on river and bike hire! so happy days works out at just under €1000 for 2 Adults & 2 kids.

Cant really go wrong there.. its Domaine des ormes by the way..

Do people normally take out Travel insurance & breakdown cover with irish Ferries?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭legohouse

benny79 wrote:
    Yeah the resort I am thinking of going to, the travel agent said the indoor pool be closed. But she doesnt know what else its a bit ridiculous imo.. But I know I left it to late to book but never done one of these holidays before.. was all set to book 3th week in june till I found out our else has 2 exams left that week (Junior cert) Ferry is nearly 3 times the price then till Sept nightmare now...

How many of you are going?
    What dates are earliest you can go now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

benny79 wrote:
    Do people normally take out Travel insurance & breakdown cover with irish Ferries?

My Irish policy already covers it.

I actually rang the campsite itself and the girl at reception went off and checked and said everything is opened apart from the kids club ,pedal bikes on river and bike hire! so happy days works out at just under €1000 for 2 Adults & 2 kids.

Cant really go wrong there.. its Domaine des ormes by the way..

You'll really enjoy it. Fine big site with everything you need however, the onsite shop naturally is more expensive so use the local Super U or Carrefour. Also, when eating out take advantage of the local restaurants which offer 'Plat du Jour' deals. Good quality food at a reasonable price.

Its three years since I was last in Dol but check that you have enough petrol/diesel if arriving on a Saturday, as on Sunday the local garages are all closed and the nearest one which sold fuel was in the lovely little town of Combourg. Remember also that on Sundays you wont get much open after 12.00 noon apart from some restaurants and cafes so bear that in mind.

On a rainy day or if you're looking for something to do try the Aquarium in St. Malo, don't forget Mont St Michel, the alligator and crocodile park in Pontorson and also all the War Graves if you fancy some quiet reflection.

If you're into seafood Cancale is well worth a visit as is Rennes on a Sunday morning for its market.

On a practical note stick to the speed limits and dont forget your licence, insurance etc as well as your E111 cards. I personally never needed to produce anything but the police are visible and I met an Englishman who was obliged to hand over a lot of money on the side of the road for speeding. He told me that he was going too fast but they went through him altogether.

Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GeneralSherman

Hi Donal55
    We are returning to Les Ormes this year also and are hoping to get the kids off the campsite a bit more this year. Which War sites did you visit, was it worthwhile and how far away are they ?
    Thanks !

Hi Donal55
    We are returning to Les Ormes this year also and are hoping to get the kids off the campsite a bit more this year. Which War sites did you visit, was it worthwhile and how far away are they ?
    Thanks !

We had done most of the sites and wargraves around Les Ormes at Honfleur, St. Malo and Avranches however the last time we were there myself & the Mrs decided to go up to the Normandy Beaches.

We left the site around 9.00 am and headed up towards Bayeaux via Avranches. The journey itself was just less than 2 hours on dual carriage way but we bring a picnic and just stop en route so it doesn't really feel too long.

We decided to follow the signs for Omaha Beach and spent a good few hours just wandering around looking at the old equipment, defences and vehicles. There appeared to be no restrictions and we saw plenty of kids hanging out of armoured cars and artillery and playing around.

We then followed signs for Longues Sur Mer gun emplacements. This was not as busy as Omaha and there was only a small van selling teas/ coffees etc but I found this place actually better than the other place.

It consists of 4 x batteries of heavy artillery with some guns still intact although mangled on high cliffs overlooking the sea. Again, kids were allowed play on everything and you could enter right in and be dwarfed by the size of the structure. There is also the German Fire control and arsenal almost buried into the cliff face and again this is accessible to the public and the views are amazing.

In my opinion its a great day out. For the price of a tank of petrol the kids will have a great time, and judging by your name, you will too.

I got all the info from the tourist office in Dol, however if you google Omaha beach and Longu Sur Mer you'll get all the info you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭billbond4

First Up wrote: »
    My Irish policy already covers it.
    If your going on one trip abroad this year, its good value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Hi All, question for this side of the ferry. I'm travelling down the motorway from Dublin to Cork for the ferry, and wondering if anyone has recommendations of where to get a dinner with the kids before we board the boat. Didn't find anywhere great last time, so wondering if anyone can recommend a good pub grub type place?

Staplor wrote: »
    Hi All, question for this side of the ferry. I'm travelling down the motorway from Dublin to Cork for the ferry, and wondering if anyone has recommendations of where to get a dinner with the kids before we board the boat. Didn't find anywhere great last time, so wondering if anyone can recommend a good pub grub type place?

Poitin still

exit 4 on the Naas rd.

You will have to take the slip road off the naas road and go up and over the bridge and back through Rathcoole village.. You will actually see the pub on the side off the naas road you cant miss it has a big carpark and straw Roof good food in there. It does be quite busy have ate in it a couple of times and never let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Poitin still

exit 4 on the Naas rd.

You will have to take the slip road off the naas road and go up and over the bridge and back through Rathcoole village.. You will actually see the pub on the side off the naas road you cant miss it has a big carpark and straw Roof good food in there. It does be quite busy have ate in it a couple of times and never let down.
    Not exactly close to Cork tho is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Staplor wrote:

I think there is a service station near Cashel but I usually stop at the place just off the motorway at Horse and Jockey.

Quazzie wrote: »
    oh Sorry taught she was boarding the ferry in Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Poitin still
    Quazzie wrote: »
    With the helpings they give there, you won't be hungry until you reach France!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Barry's in Douglas village wouldn't really be out of the way. Great pub for grub

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

The ferryboat inn just reopened in Ringaskiddy across from the ferry terminal.

Early reports coming out seem very good but I haven't been myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Thanks for all the suggestions, just don't want to get fleeced on board for some chicken nuggets and chips!! Last time I thought she was charging me for 3 portions, but no it was only the one!!! Lesson learned.

Thanks for all the suggestions, just don't want to get fleeced on board for some chicken nuggets and chips!! Last time I thought she was charging me for 3 portions, but no it was only the one!!! Lesson learned.

The carrigaline court hotel is only ten mins from the boat and has pretty good food

First Up wrote: »
    I think there is a service station near Cashel but I usually stop at the place just off the motorway at Horse and Jockey.

Second Cashel also. There is a pub there called the Brian Boru I think, and they do a lovely dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sandypas76

Baybay wrote: »
    It's about five visits between departure & arrival, say 3 before bed & 2 in the morning. There are none during the night.
    A litter tray is provided in each cage & also extra litter & a scoop.
    I usually spend a few minutes clearing the tray, feeding the cat & having a bit of a chat! Maybe ten minutes or so. For our cat, it's enough as any longer & he thinks he should get out. I don't want him to do that, just in case. He travels with a secure bucked collar & an extendable leash, allowing some freedom & security.

Hi Baybay,

I wanted to ask you some details about your trips with your cat. Did you travel by train also (you might have told me before but I can't trace the conversation)? How many days max did you travel with your cat for?
    I'm going to travel fir a few days. From my home in Italy I'm stopping forone night or one day at my cousin's in the north. Then I'm travelling to Lyon throughMilan and Genève. I'm staying one day in Lyon at a friend's place. Then I'm leaving for Cherbourg with a stop in Paris, where I'll have to change station. Once in Cherbourg I have the kennel booked for him on the ferry, then it's a short teain trip to Dublin.
    I was just wondering if you're travels involved many days and many changes like this and how you the cat handled it emotionally?
    I'm thinking of getting some sedative drops from my vet.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Baybay

sandypas76 wrote: »
    Hi Baybay,

Did you travel by train also?
    How many days max did you travel with your cat for?
    I was just wondering if you're travels involved many days and many changes like this and how you the cat handled it emotionally?
    I'm thinking of getting some sedative drops from my vet.
    Thanks.

No train, I'm afraid. We travel by car.
    From our home to the ferry, the car journey is just under two hours. Our cat is put into his carrier just before we leave & other than a quick microchip scan at the port, remains in his carrier until he goes into his kennel. Depending on boarding arrangements he could be three hours in the carrier. Then he spends the night in the kennels where he's reasonably content & usually alone. Sometimes there might be one or two other cats. He doesn't eat very much in there but does drink some water & use the litter tray.
    As soon as we're all in the car the next morning to leave the ferry, he's let out of the carrier & lies on the parcel shelf of the car. He wears a buckled collar for travelling (snap collar at all other times) & I use a retractable lead while he's being transferred from carrier to kennel & while he's in the car etc. It gives me peace of mind that's if he's startled, he won't run off & he doesn't seem to mind but we have travelled with him since he was a kitten.
    He has a litter tray in the rear footwell of the car but will only use it if the car is stopped! Our car journey after the ferry is between 10-12 hours & he passes time sun bathing & sleeping so I think he's fairly happy!
    Our vet advised against a sedative. He said the cat would still be aware of what's happening but unable to react which could be more stressful for him.

I hope your journey goes well. It does sound a little busier than ours but I'm sure you know your cat well enough to help him through the journey.

One year on the ferry there was a French man travelling with a ferret. He was going back to Paris & was a foot passenger. For his ferret he had a cage, similar to a cat carrier but a little bigger, probably with room for it's own small litter tray. It was on wheels & had a handle so that he could pull or push it & didn't have to carry it. He had to book a kennel for the ferry he told me, but he didn't take him out of the cage other than when he visited. Might be worth looking into? No idea of cost or where it could be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerd4

So our plan is
    Sail into Roscoff, head to Nantes and stay overnight.  Head to Bordeaux and stay overnight.  Head down to Siblu La Reserve for 2 weeks.
    Coming back up will stop in La Rochelle overnight and Rennes overnight and sailing back from Cherbourg.
    Any tips or advice of places to visit on or around those parts of France?  Any good vineyards to hit for to pick up wine other than the shops near the ports?
    Im hoping to visit some WW2 sites aswell on route so any spots worth the detour in either direction?

Also any recommendations in or around La Reserve especially if the weather isnt kind to give us some options?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭aquarius10

mikerd4 wrote: »
    So our plan is
    Sail into Roscoff, head to Nantes and stay overnight.  Head to Bordeaux and stay overnight.  Head down to Siblu La Reserve for 2 weeks.
    Coming back up will stop in La Rochelle overnight and Rennes overnight and sailing back from Cherbourg.
    Any tips or advice of places to visit on or around those parts of France?  Any good vineyards to hit for to pick up wine other than the shops near the ports?
    Im hoping to visit some WW2 sites aswell on route so any spots worth the detour in either direction?

Also any recommendations in or around La Reserve especially if the weather isnt kind to give us some options?

Can recommend The îles des machines in Nantes - you can take a ride on a mechanical elephant. It's cool

Most of the WWII sites & museums are in Normandy but were around Nantes area last year and we visited Batz sur Mer, there is a WWII blockhaus that was never bombed as it was disguised as a hotel , it's on the coast and you might find it interesting. Have a google.

On the way back to Cherbourg you'll also pass nearby a little village where a paratrooper landed on the roof of a church.

"Private John M. Steele was the American paratrooper who landed on the pinnacle of the church tower in Sainte-Mère-Église, the first village in Normandy liberated by the United States Army on D-Day, June 6, 1944."

Puy du fou is also worth a visit if your in the area - les espesses - a great day out. We're going for a second visit this year on a stopover on our way home from La Siren.

Enjoy

Advertisement