Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

mikerd4 wrote: »
    So our plan is
    Sail into Roscoff, head to Nantes and stay overnight.  Head to Bordeaux and stay overnight.  Head down to Siblu La Reserve for 2 weeks.
    Coming back up will stop in La Rochelle overnight and Rennes overnight and sailing back from Cherbourg.
    Any tips or advice of places to visit on or around those parts of France?  Any good vineyards to hit for to pick up wine other than the shops near the ports?
    Im hoping to visit some WW2 sites aswell on route so any spots worth the detour in either direction?

Also any recommendations in or around La Reserve especially if the weather isnt kind to give us some options?

Is there any particular reason for so many stops on the way to and from la reserve? It's an 8 hour drive, personally I'd rather have more time at my campsite and 4 hours each day isn't too taxing

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Any good vineyards to hit for to pick up wine other than the shops near the ports?
    Just pop into a branch of Leclercs. Large selection at decent prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

mikerd4 wrote:
    Any good vineyards to hit for to pick up wine other than the shops near the ports?

The good news is that they are (nearly) all good and you can hardly go wrong.
    The bad news is that the choice will drive you nuts and you also have the problem that each vineyard does its own thing so if you want a variety, you have to put a lot of time into research and cover a lot of ground.

By far the best deal at vineyards is to buy in bulk (20 litre plastic containers) which is ridiculously cheap but that doesn't include VAT so you might get done at Irish customs and bottling it is a hassle. It is also a long drive with a car laden down.

After many years of this, I've ended up buying in supermarkets like Auchan, Carrefour, Le Clerc and Super U and I do the main load up close to the ferry. I avoid the "booze cruise" joints like the infamous Red Bus place in Roscoff or the Normandie Wine Warehouse in Cherbourg. They will still get you a decent deal on price but I prefer to buy where the French buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerd4

Its our second year driving in France but we did Cherbourg to Nice last year, that made for some massive distances to be covered.
    Why stop off?  Firstly its easier boat wise for sailing dates and also we get to see a bit more than just sitting on the motorway for 6-7 hrs at a time.

We went through Sancerre last year and got some amazing wine, obviously its a well known spot, I was wondering if there was any wine areas of note on the West Coast

mikerd4 wrote:
    We went through Sancerre last year and got some amazing wine, obviously its a well known spot, I was wondering if there was any wine areas of note on the West Coast

The region around the Loire estuary has lots of whites (Muscadet the most plentiful.) It is good solid stuff but not as classy as what you get further up the river to the east like Sancerre. If you can route through Saumur you will find some good options (take a look at Ackermann's website.)

Further south, the Medoc region is the most westerly part of Bordeaux and has some magnificent reds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

So our plan is
    Sail into Roscoff, head to Nantes and stay overnight.  Head to Bordeaux and stay overnight.  Head down to Siblu La Reserve for 2 weeks.
    Coming back up will stop in La Rochelle overnight and Rennes overnight and sailing back from Cherbourg.
    Any tips or advice of places to visit on or around those parts of France?  Any good vineyards to hit for to pick up wine other than the shops near the ports?
    Im hoping to visit some WW2 sites aswell on route so any spots worth the detour in either direction?

Also any recommendations in or around La Reserve especially if the weather isnt kind to give us some options?

The aquarium and the port in la rochelle is lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Is there any particular reason for so many stops on the way to and from la reserve? It's an 8 hour drive, personally I'd rather have more time at my campsite and 4 hours each day isn't too taxing

I'm with SD4 here. We stayed in La Reserve last year and stopped off in La Rochelle overnight on the way down. This year we won't bother as we felt it was a waste of a day. This year we'll just exit the ferry at 10:30(ish) and with 2 food/comfort stops we'll easily be in La Reserve for 19:30.

I'll drive Roscoff to Nantes which takes about 3:15 where we'll grab some McDonald's or a motorway service station croque monsieur with coffee. My wife will then drive Nantes to Niort which takes about 1:30 giving me time to have a decent nap. We'll grab some more coffee and a snack in Niort and then I'll do the Niort to La Reserve leg which is about 3 hours.

The kids (16 and 12) will watch movies on their tablets/phones, read, sleep or have a little moan from time to time but it's soon forgotten after we get onsite, transfer everything into the mobile home and head to the onsite restaurant for around 21:00 where they quickly suss out if they can see any of their friends from last year or previous Siblu holidays in Le Bois Masson or Bonne Anse Plage whilst myself and my wife drain a chilled bottle of Muscadet Sur Lie and let the holiday commence.

Pretty much same on the way back. We'll hit the road around 6am, stop a couple of times for breakfast and a lunch snack and easily get to Roscoff for 15:30 where we'll get some wine in http://www.wine-centre.com and then grab a nice farewell dinner before loading onto the Cork bound ferry around 20:00 for the trip home.

That's what works for us but if you're the only one driving and/or you have younger kids I can totally see the logic of staggering the journey a bit although personally when I have to do something I don't enjoy or find challenging I just like to get it done and dusted as quickly as possible!!!

The aquarium and the port in la rochelle is lovely

Excellent aquarium but buy your tickets online if you can. It can save a long time queuing as I found out to my cost a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

We've decided we might do a campsite this year.
    It's years since I've driven in France. This time I'm hiring a car.
    Do you just need to turn up at the desk with your driving license?
    At the campsites do you need to tell them what car you are bringing?

We've decided we might do a campsite this year.
    It's years since I've driven in France. This time I'm hiring a car.
    Do you just need to turn up at the desk with your driving license?
    At the campsites do you need to tell them what car you are bringing?

I'd turn up with my drivers license and Car Hire Excess Insurance - https://www.carhireexcess.ie.

I've never had to inform the camp site in advance what car I was driving, you usually just do that when you are registering on arrival.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

I'd turn up with my drivers license and Car Hire Excess Insurance - https://www.carhireexcess.ie.

I've never had to inform the camp site in advance what car I was driving, you usually just do that when you are registering on arrival.

Thanks.
    The last one I hired a car abroad I needed am international driving license. I'll definitely go for car hire excess alright.

Excellent aquarium but buy your tickets online if you can. It can save a long time queuing as I found out to my cost a few years ago.

Funny I never had this issue, but usually a Sunday we go. But you have me freaked out so will buy them online :)

Funny I never had this issue, but usually a Sunday we go. But you have me freaked out so will buy them online :)

It was about 3 years ago and we were staying in St Jean de Mont. The weather had been fine for days but this particular day was forecast to be overcast and raining so we (along with half the tourists in south western France it seems) got the bright idea that we'd spend the day in La Rochelle and in particular visit the aquarium. When we got there the queue's were out into the car park and it was raining. We spent 50 minutes incing along until we eventually got to the ticket office.

I'd say on a normal day when the sun shines the queues would be fairly small but on a rainy day in the middle of July...............

It was about 3 years ago and we were staying in St Jean de Mont. The weather had been fine for days but this particular day was forecast to be overcast and raining so we (along with half the tourists in south western France it seems) got the bright idea that we'd spend the day in La Rochelle and in particular visit the aquarium. When we got there the queue's were out into the car park and it was raining. We spent 50 minutes incing along until we eventually got to the ticket office.

I'd say on a normal day when the sun shines the queues would be fairly small but on a rainy day in the middle of July...............

I am just waiting for one holiday with bad weather so I can say that's it, we are off further south! Convinced them to fly this year :)

I am just waiting for one holiday with bad weather so I can say that's it, we are off further south! Convinced them to fly this year :)

I hear you. Much as I like having all our own gear, our own bikes (we bike a LOT when we're there, 40-50km each morning) and love being able to drive our own car we're probably getting close to the stage where if we want to keep older teenage kids happy we're going to have to try pastures new such as Italy or Spain and they won't be driveable. The trade off will be the hassle of but speed of airports relative to a ferry, the lack of our own bikes and inability to bring home half a vineyard and the cost/hassle of renting a car.

Much as I dread the idea of giving up the whole ferry/long drive formula I'm sure once we experience the convenience of flying to a campsite (or more likely some sort of self catering apartment/villa) we'll wonder why we loved French campsites for so long!!

Much as I dread the idea of giving up the whole ferry/long drive formula I'm sure once we experience the convenience of flying to a campsite (or more likely some sort of self catering apartment/villa) we'll wonder why we loved French campsites for so long!!

I think you will find exactly the opposite. Trying to cram all your needs into a weight-restricted suitcase will lessen your enthusiasm for the convenience of flying.

There will also come a point where older teenagers would prefer to design their own holiday, rather than fit into yours.

I hear you. Much as I like having all our own gear, our own bikes (we bike a LOT when we're there, 40-50km each morning) and love being able to drive our own car we're probably getting close to the stage where if we want to keep older teenage kids happy we're going to have to try pastures new such as Italy or Spain and they won't be driveable. The trade off will be the hassle of but speed of airports relative to a ferry, the lack of our own bikes and inability to bring home half a vineyard and the cost/hassle of renting a car.

We are flying into la rochelle instead of the ferry, so will let you know how it works for us. The wine is one part we will miss bringing home. Kids are 4 and 6, so will rent bikes out for them and us.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Hero777

Only 56 days left until our holiday!!  Can't wait.

France List was started this morning in the Diary. - Note to first timers you can never go wrong having a roll of duct tape or insulating tape in the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Hero777 wrote: »
    Only 56 days left until our holiday!! Can't wait.

France List was started this morning in the Diary. - Note to first timers you can never go wrong having a roll of duct tape or insulating tape in the car!
    Duct tape and WD40. Lifesavers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭webpal

I always bring a small tool kit. A few minutes fixing something with a screw driver can go a long way to saving your deposit!

• Advertisement

Hero777 wrote: »
    Only 56 days left until our holiday!! Can't wait.

Is that for the kids in the back of the car, saying "are we there yet" and you haven't even reached the ferry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭benny79

Quazzie wrote: »
    Duct tape and WD40. Lifesavers.

May I ask why? Im a first timer this year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

benny79 wrote: »
    If it moves and it shouldn't - Duct Tape.
    If it doesn't move and it should - WD40

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Has anyone used the New Environmental Stickers required for driving in France ?

Link here :- https://www.crit-air.fr/en/information-about-the-critair-vignette/french-environmental-zones-zcr/french-environmental-zones.html

Apparently the wait time is approx 30 days and we leave on June 17th. We are planning on driving close to Lyon but not into the City - should we get a Sticker ?

Thanks in advance.

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Has anyone used the New Environmental Stickers required for driving in France ?

Link here :- https://www.crit-air.fr/en/information-about-the-critair-vignette/french-environmental-zones-zcr/french-environmental-zones.html

Apparently the wait time is approx 30 days and we leave on June 17th. We are planning on driving close to Lyon but not into the City - should we get a Sticker ?

Thanks in advance.

Id say you'll be grand. If it were me, I certainly wouldn't bother. I cant imagine pierre who takes that the occasional trips to paris or lyon once or twice a year getting worked up about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Cheers - a friend sent it on to me as she is also heading to France. Had never heard of it !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

heading to Ile de Re first two weeks of August via Roscoff. We usually try stop somewhere on way down to break up trip and see something interesting. One year we did Mont St Michel which if you are taking the brittany ferry is well worth doing as you arrive very early on Sunday morning and get to visit with no crowds. Last year we stopped at the U-boat pens in Lorient which was really interesting. Anyone any suggestions for this year? Driving down through Brittany is our preferred route.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Hero777

Quazzie wrote: »
    benny79 wrote: »
    If it moves and it shouldn't - Duct Tape.
    If it doesn't move and it should - WD40
    Comment of the week goes to.......

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭wall

First time to France with the kids, getting a roof box (not sure what size yet) to leave as much room in the car as possible to make the journey as comfortable as possible. Going to bring the 2 youngest kids' bikes as we like walking and they cycle along with us, whats the best way to bring them, i dont have a towbar.

• Advertisement

wall wrote: »
    First time to France with the kids, getting a roof box (not sure what size yet) to leave as much room in the car as possible to make the journey as comfortable as possible. Going to bring the 2 youngest kids' bikes as we like walking and they cycle along with us, whats the best way to bring them, i dont have a towbar.

What kind of car have you?
    Edit, I was a bit vague. Hatchback or saloon? Mpv or car? I always carried the bikes on the roof of our passat alongside the roofbox. Micksgarage has carriers that are dead cheap and do the job nicely but might be overkill for small kids bikes. https://www.micksgarage.com/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=6069918

Watch the vehicle height though as you can get caught for an extra charge.

Advertisement