Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭webpal

wall wrote: »
    First time to France with the kids, getting a roof box (not sure what size yet) to leave as much room in the car as possible to make the journey as comfortable as possible. Going to bring the 2 youngest kids' bikes as we like walking and they cycle along with us, whats the best way to bring them, i dont have a towbar.
    You could try a carrier that doesn't require a towbar, like this

http://www.adverts.ie/exterior-parts/bike-rack-3-bicycle-universal-carrier-fits-most-cars/7631239

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

BailMeOut wrote:
    heading to Ile de Re first two weeks of August via Roscoff. We usually try stop somewhere on way down to break up trip and see something interesting. One year we did Mont St Michel which if you are taking the brittany ferry is well worth doing as you arrive very early on Sunday morning and get to visit with no crowds. Last year we stopped at the U-boat pens in Lorient which was really interesting. Anyone any suggestions for this year? Driving down through Brittany is our preferred route.

If you have the time, I'd suggest a visit to the salt marshes out to the fishing port of Le Croisic and/or a stop at the old walled city of Guerande. Driving through the salt beds is fascinating and there is a good visit centre where it is all explained. You won't believe how interesting salt can be!

From there its a short drive to the fancy resort town of La Baule and then you can take the bridge over the Loire estuary near St Nazaire - another memorable experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭wall

I have a Grand Picasso, the bikes are for a 7 & 5 year old, i'm wondering would i be better getting a large roof box that may take the bikes too, if they were half taken apart.
    I always imagine that the pressure on bikes that are standing up on the roof must be very strong at 70 or 80 mph.
    I have 2 roof boxes that are'nt really up yo the job, one is long and narrow which suited a long estate i had, the other is short and fat but a bit flimsy.

Don't bikes usually go on the back? I can't imaging bikes upright on the roof would be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Jpm123

First Up wrote: »
    Don't bikes usually go on the back? I can't imaging bikes upright on the roof would be allowed.

I have one bike on the roof with a roof box and another three on the back of the car. There has never been a problem with the ferry or anything else

• Advertisement

Jpm123 wrote:
    I have one bike on the roof with a roof box and another three on the back of the car. There has never been a problem with the ferry or anything else

I assume the one in the roofbox is flat. You talked about bikes upright on the roof.

I assume the one in the roofbox is flat. You talked about bikes upright on the roof.

One bike is upright with the roof box beside it all attached to the roof bars

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

It's not a problem having them upright, you just get put on the deck with the campers and trucks.

http://cycling-review.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/overloaded-roof-bike-rack1.jpg

It's not a problem having them upright, you just get put on the deck with the campers and trucks.

I wasn't concerned about the ferry. I just don't think I would fancy driving a car with a roof full of bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I wasn't concerned about the ferry. I just don't think I would fancy driving a car with a roof full of bikes.

if you buy a rear bike carrier just be careful if you have girls bikes as most need a crossbar on the bike to work properly. I take two girls bikes on mine but the setup is quite convoluted as need to mount the bikes upside down to attach. I also take the pedals off so they fit better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

BailMeOut wrote: »
    if you buy a rear bike carrier just be careful if you have girls bikes as most need a crossbar on the bike to work properly. I take two girls bikes on mine but the setup is quite convoluted as need to mount the bikes upside down to attach. I also take the pedals off so they fit better.

You can get a quick-fit bar that attaches under the saddle at one end and onto the handlebars the other end to create a bar on the bike for the purpose of transporting them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Charliebull

I have a Grand Picasso, the bikes are for a 7 & 5 year old, i'm wondering would i be better getting a large roof box that may take the bikes too, if they were half taken apart.
    I always imagine that the pressure on bikes that are standing up on the roof must be very strong at 70 or 80 mph.
    I have 2 roof boxes that are'nt really up yo the job, one is long and narrow which suited a long estate i had, the other is short and fat but a bit flimsy.

i got the rear mounted carrier from Halfords last year and attached it to my grand picasso

it worked fine, get plenty of bungy straps and strap it all together well, just be careful the kids bikes are that bit smaller and you will have to improvise when fitting, its good to bring an adult bike and strap the kids bike to that as well

will be doing same again this year

I'll get one of the rear end bike carriers so.

I booked a 2-star-4-bunk cabin and a 2-star-2-bunk cabin for myself, my wife and 3 kids aged 5,7,9. I know everyone is different but would a family of 5 normally all bunk into one cabin or is it nicer to have 2 cabins for sleeping. Also, if one has 2 cabins, can they be located quiet near to each other?
    Its on the Oscar Wilde.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭webpal

I booked a 2-star-4-bunk cabin and a 2-star-2-bunk cabin for myself, my wife and 3 kids aged 5,7,9. I know everyone is different but would a family of 5 normally all bunk into one cabin or is it nicer to have 2 cabins for sleeping. Also, if one has 2 cabins, can they be located quiet near to each other?
    Its on the Oscar Wilde.

Mine are a bit younger but one cabin does us. They older ones can top and tail.

If you've already booked you should have your cabin numbers - in the accommodation line, look for a four digit number - that will be your cabin number.

Here's a deck plan so you can see where they are

Thanks 'webpal' for that info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Its on the Oscar Wilde.

there's 5 of us, and we all bunk into one cabin.
    exact same ages

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sandypas76

Baybay wrote: »
    It's about five visits between departure & arrival, say 3 before bed & 2 in the morning. There are none during the night.
    A litter tray is provided in each cage & also extra litter & a scoop.
    I usually spend a few minutes clearing the tray, feeding the cat & having a bit of a chat! Maybe ten minutes or so. For our cat, it's enough as any longer & he thinks he should get out. I don't want him to do that, just in case. He travels with a secure bucked collar & an extendable leash, allowing some freedom & security.

Hi Baybay,

Thanks for your reply. I'm using this quote but I read your last one.
    Buckled collar, yes that's what I have in mind.
    No sedative. I wasn't convinced either about sedating him.
    I saw those rigid carriers with wheels. I'll think about it as I'm not sure if their size is ok for the French railways.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Its on the Oscar Wilde.

we've gotten 5 into a 4 bed cabin up until now, but have gone with a 3 bed + a 2 bed this year as they're getting a bit big to share bunks. But we certainly had them sharing when they were that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dizzyn

Sure we always fit five into a 4 bed cabin, were 19, 17 and 11 and will do it again this year:D (heading off next week and I CANNOT WAIT)!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

You can get a quick-fit bar that attaches under the saddle at one end and onto the handlebars the other end to create a bar on the bike for the purpose of transporting them

You can't beat these for less than €20 - https://www.decathlon.ie/bike-frame-adaptor-for-cycle-carriers-en-s150571.html

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies. I got a carrier for the back for the bikes which is quiet neat.
    I have the 2 cabins booked so we have the option of all in together or not.
    Only about 40 days to go, looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Yup, they're the ones. Very handy

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭levi

We are heading to France this week with Stena from Rosslare. We've been on the ferry before when it was Celtic Link but that was before we had a baby. Currently debating whether to bring the 7 month old in the buggy or with the sling. The buggy is a bit of a tank so wondering if it would be a pain to carry up/down the steps from the car deck or is there a lift. I can't remember what the story was on the ferry the last time cos it's been a while. Any other tips for travelling with a little one gratefully received too.

PS we will be bringing the buggy in the car but it's just whether to trek it up to the cabin or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

on a busy ferry I cannot see the benefit of bringing up the buggy compared to the sling.
    You'd be doing well to get from one end of the bar to the other with bags and bodies everywhere (and on the horizon everythings all a bit over the place to start with) and if its a tank of a yoke I presume it'll take up half the cabin too.

I presume in the room you'll have a cot or something for the baby ?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭levi

on a busy ferry I cannot see the benefit of bringing up the buggy compared to the sling.
    You'd be doing well to get from one end of the bar to the other with bags and bodies everywhere (and on the horizon everythings all a bit over the place to start with) and if its a tank of a yoke I presume it'll take up half the cabin too.

I presume in the room you'll have a cot or something for the baby ?

Yeah, we've asked for a cot for the baba. I had kind of decided just to bring the sling alright... Thanks for the advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Less than 3 weeks to go for us now ! Can't wait 😀 How is everyone else getting on ?

Eurocamp phoned last week - 2018 for Sale already !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Less than 3 weeks to go for us now ! Can't wait 😀 How is everyone else getting on ?

Eurocamp phoned last week - 2018 for Sale already !

15 days.
    10 working days.

not that I'm counting.............

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭aquarius10

15 days.
    10 working days.

not that I'm counting.............

3 weeks next Saturday!!!!! Stena ferry out of rosslare on Saturday 24th

Three weeks on Thursday. Heading to la chamettes can't wait !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dizzyn

We're going THIS FRIDAY!! excited is not the word:D:D:D

Advertisement