Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭pmpa

wall wrote: »
    For the 4 o'clock Friday eve sailing at the end of the month from Rosslare to Roscoff, what is a good time to arrive at the port to check in/Q?

We normally arrive at the port at 2.30, what I love about I.F. is that you aren't ever waiting too long to board the ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

pmpa wrote: »
    No, don't have a tow bar. We bought the Halfords cycle carrier board, but we would also need to buy a light adapter kit for e50 and get a mechanic to set it up. I'm really in two minds whether to bring the bikes or not but it would be great to have for Les Charmettes.

Have you considered renting bikes over there? Not sure how I'd feel about doing that kind of journey with a strap on bike rack. Also, if you've a bike rack and a roof box, you're going to be pretty heavily loaded which could attract attention from the gens d'armes, particularly if you've no tail board.

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Have you considered renting bikes over there? Not sure how I'd feel about doing that kind of journey with a strap on bike rack. Also, if you've a bike rack and a roof box, you're going to be pretty heavily loaded which could attract attention from the gens d'armes, particularly if you've no tail board.

Ya, I think we will just have to rent the bikes but renting 5 bikes is very expensive! What you said above is what I was thinking so think we will leave the bikes here. A tow hitch is definitely the way to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Ya, I think we will just have to rent the bikes but renting 5 bikes is very expensive! What you said above is what I was thinking so think we will leave the bikes here. A tow hitch is definitely the way to go!

After trying and failing to get the kids bikes onto our boot-mounted rack last year, we ended up hiring 5 bikes when we got to the site. With insurance and helmets for the kids it came to over €300 for just over a week (which wasn't even the full holiday).

So this year I got a towbar fitted and bought one of these (actually got it 2nd hand from adverts) with the 5th bike to go on the roof. Total cost about €450 but we'll have bikes for the whole trip and hopefully get years of use out of it (going to do the Western Greenway later in the year).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

yellow76 wrote: »
    Just to update. Arrived in France on Tues.

Weather is super In Vendee at the moment:-)

Hi Yellow76 , you are in Clarys Plage arent you? We were there last year for a few days and my kids loved it so we have booked a few days there when we arrive in France.
    Will you have a look for me please where are the Thomson Al Fresco mobiles on the site and do they look ok? I booked a 2 bedroom for a few days and we've never stayed with Thomson before.

Have ye tried the ziplining place? "The feeling Forest". My kids are looking forward to going there again. ( Me not so much! lol)
    Enjoy the rest of it

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    After trying and failing to get the kids bikes onto our boot-mounted rack last year, we ended up hiring 5 bikes when we got to the site. With insurance and helmets for the kids it came to over €300 for just over a week (which wasn't even the full holiday).

So this year I got a towbar fitted and bought one of these (actually got it 2nd hand from adverts) with the 5th bike to go on the roof. Total cost about €450 but we'll have bikes for the whole trip and hopefully get years of use out of it (going to do the Western Greenway later in the year).
    That is exactly what we would need! Its just the initial outlay is a lot but at the same time the kids love to cycle so we would get use out of it like yourselves. They also want to go to the Western Greenway. Can I ask you, is the bike carrier difficult to take on and off, as when we arrive at campsite I would like to take it off till we are returning home?

That is exactly what we would need! Its just the initial outlay is a lot but at the same time the kids love to cycle so we would get use out of it like yourselves. They also want to go to the Western Greenway. Can I ask you, is the bike carrier difficult to take on and off, as when we arrive at campsite I would like to take it off till we are returning home?

I have the same one, it has a collet that fits over the ball of the hitch when you're putting it on, you tighten a single nut to lock it solid, you may need to lift the carrier up a little as you're tightening it but it's a single person job.

To remove it, open the nut, you may need to jiggle the bike rack a little bit to free it from the hitch and it lifts off. It has the tailboard built in with lights, you'll just need another number plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

I use one of these tow bar mounted 4 bike carriers and it does a great job. It's not as neat a job as the carrier Loyatemu invested in but it's 1/3 the price and can be mounted and dismounted in 10 seconds. All you do it use a spanner to tighten or loosen a retaining bolt. I paired it with this carrier lighting board. €115 for both and they'll serve you for years.

When I get onsite I remove the bike carrier and tail board and lock them to one of the legs of the mobile or the terrace for the duration of the holiday.

it's easy to put on and off, just needs a spanner and 5 minutes (probably need a second pair of hands to support it while you do though). Easier than the boot-mounted rack though which I've always found quite awkward.

You can also get a Thule 3-bike rack that tilts to allow access to the boot when the bikes are loaded. This one doesn't have that feature but I'll just pack the boot before putting the bikes on, and we can access the boot via the back seats on the ferry.

I use one of these tow bar mounted 4 bike carriers and it does a great job. It's not as neat a job as the carrier Loyatemu invested in but it's 1/3 the price and can be mounted and dismounted in 10 seconds. All you do it use a spanner to tighten or loosen a retaining bolt. I paired it with this carrier lighting board. €115 for both and they'll serve you for years.

When I get onsite I remove the bike carrier and tail board and lock them to one of the legs of the mobile or the terrace for the duration of the holiday.

I saw that one, it's certainly good value but it still relies on mounting the bikes through the crossbars, which can be difficult with smaller frame bikes or step-thru bikes with no crossbar. The Halfords/Thule racks will take any bike as they just rest on their wheels.

• Advertisement

alias no.9 wrote: »
    I have the same one, it has a collet that fits over the ball of the hitch when you're putting it on, you tighten a single nut to lock it solid, you may need to lift the carrier up a little as you're tightening it but it's a single person job.

To remove it, open the nut, you may need to jiggle the bike rack a little bit to free it from the hitch and it lifts off. It has the tailboard built in with lights, you'll just need another number plate.

Thanks for that. I might enquire how much a tow bar will cost to put on. I like the idea that its easy to take on and off and that the lights are built in etc. One more question, can you open the boot when the bikes are on it, presume you can't?

Thanks for that. I might enquire how much a tow bar will cost to put on. I like the idea that its easy to take on and off and that the lights are built in etc. One more question, can you open the boot when the bikes are on it, presume you can't?

Towbar cost a little under 400 fitted. I got a few quotes and they were all about the same.

With the Halfords 4-bike rack - no you can't open the boot once the bikes are on it. The Thule 3-bike rack has a tilting mechanism to allow access to the boot, but obviously 1 bike less capacity.

Thanks for that, I just got quoted e320 for the tow hitch so might just bite the bullet and get it put on. We are going out and back on the same dates as yourselves!

loyatemu wrote: »
    I saw that one, it's certainly good value but it still relies on mounting the bikes through the crossbars, which can be difficult with smaller frame bikes or step-thru bikes with no crossbar. The Halfords/Thule racks will take any bike as they just rest on their wheels.

100% correct. The rack i have easily holds two adult and two kids bikes but to hold four adult bikes you'll likely need the cross bar adapters i linked to earlier in the thread. They are circa €22 each.

If i was buying again I'd probably go straight for the type of model you have but at the time i bought mine i wasn't​ that confident bringing bikes to France would be a success. 9 years later I think it is!!

You could with a saloon or lift back type hatch (think Skoda Octavia or similar) but with a more vertical type hatch back (think VW Golf) or estate, then no. On our Picasso, you can open the window on the tailgate separate from the tailgate and this can be opened if you put a smaller bike closest to the tailgate.

Thanks for that, I just got quoted e320 for the tow hitch so might just bite the bullet and get it put on. We are going out and back on the same dates as yourselves!

Out July 14th Rosslare to Roscoff and back Aug 4th Roscoff to Cork?

yes, can't wait! 4 weeks today, countdown is definitely on! Just need to sort out about the bikes. I paid for Brittany Ferries today and added the bike rack so we will have the option but if it costs e300 to rent bikes for a week and the tow bar will cost e320, its a no brainer really. A friend just kindly offered his Halfords 4 bike rack the same as above for us to try out on the trip so that is so handy. Are ye organised?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

try ebay for a tow bar, im thinking of getting one for my car, should cost under 100e

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭yellow76

juneg wrote: »
    Hi Yellow76 , you are in Clarys Plage arent you? We were there last year for a few days and my kids loved it so we have booked a few days there when we arrive in France.
    Will you have a look for me please where are the Thomson Al Fresco mobiles on the site and do they look ok? I booked a 2 bedroom for a few days and we've never stayed with Thomson before.

Have ye tried the ziplining place? "The feeling Forest". My kids are looking forward to going there again. ( Me not so much! lol)
    Enjoy the rest of it

Hey will check out the mobiles for you tomorrow. We havent been to feeling forest as mine are 7 and 5 and not adventurous at all. Did Parc Les Dunes today which was a great success.

Are ye organised?

We are now!! 4 Adult bikes fitted to the bike rack this afternoon followed by servicing of the bikes so good to go!!

20170617-13351497728541.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭webpal

yellow76 wrote: »
    Hey will check out the mobiles for you tomorrow. We havent been to feeling forest as mine are 7 and 5 and not adventurous at all. Did Parc Les Dunes today which was a great success.

Do they show gaa in clarys plage?. Heading to that area and recall seeing something about it previously.

What's your destination in France?[/quote]

We are going to Les Charmettes. From what I remember your heading further south are you? Will be interested in what you thought of camp, journey time etc. I'm reading these threads for years and they helped me no end with tips when we first started going to France! So I knew when I had a question about the bikes I'd get an informed answer!

webpal wrote: »
    Do they show gaa in clarys plage?. Heading to that area and recall seeing something about it previously.

Yep showing GAA here

juneg wrote: »

Enjoy the rest of it

Thomson Al fresco seem to be scattered throughout the site and all look fine to me. We are on the main site as opposed to across the road. Enjoy

We are going to Les Charmettes. From what I remember your heading further south are you? Will be interested in what you thought of camp, journey time etc. I'm reading these threads for years and they helped me no end with tips when we first started going to France! So I knew when I had a question about the bikes I'd get an informed answer!

We stayed in Bonne Anse Plage 2-3 years which is only 10 minutes from Les Charmettes and always enjoyed it. The zoo in La Palmyre is amazing.

Last year we tried La Reserve which is another 2.5 hours south of Les Charmettes and we're going back again this year. Our kids are 16 and 12 and La Reserve caters to the older kids very well. Lots of sports activities and a "music bar" which opens at 11pm, has thump thump music, no windows, flashing lights and lot's of dry ice where the 16-18 year olds hang out until about 1am. It's like a kids club for teenagers and we need that to be fair to the 16 year old who is looking forward to going back.

Are ye organised?

We are now!! 4 Adult bikes fitted to the bike rack this afternoon followed by servicing of the bikes so good to go!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Thanks again yellow76
    Glad to hear the mobiles are looking ok. That sounds good , looking forward to it now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Just back from Clarys Plage, nice holiday, nice site. The supermarket next door is a U Express, about the size of a small Super Valu, grand for the basics but not everything. There's a bakery beside Super U that opens 8-1.

If you want to go rockpooling, get to the beach by ten. Enjoy it everyone, the Space Boa opens 12-6 and they're fairly sharp about times, make sure you do it, it's fantastic.

We stayed in Bonne Anse Plage 2-3 years which is only 10 minutes from Les Charmettes and always enjoyed it. The zoo in La Palmyre is amazing.

Last year we tried La Reserve which is another 2.5 hours south of Les Charmettes and we're going back again this year. Our kids are 16 and 12 and La Reserve caters to the older kids very well. Lots of sports activities and a "music bar" which opens at 11pm, has thump thump music, no windows, flashing lights and lot's of dry ice where the 16-18 year olds hang out until about 1am. It's like a kids club for teenagers and we need that to be fair to the 16 year old who is looking forward to going back.

That's great that a 16 year old wants to go back. Everyone's happy then! Maybe in another few years we will chance the longer journey. Last year we got off ferry about 10.30 and was checking into Les Charmettes at 6.45, that was pretty much the limit for the kids! That included a good few pit stops. I love hearing all the reviews of the different campsites. We have gone with Siblu 5 times now and every year I find they can't be beaten on price and also air con is a must for us. Looked into privately renting this year but it would have worked out e300 more expensive because of having to buy the passes.

• Advertisement

Your way ahead of me! Tow hitch being put on Friday hopefully. I'd say it was a relief to know all the bikes will fit on.

Advertisement