Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dizzyn

For anyone heading on the Oscar Wilde,I cannot recommend the steakhouse enough.We had decided to treat ourselves on the way over as it is a tad more expensive than the Left Bank. Oh my God it was amazing!! The atmosphere is great, food is fab and the service is phenomenal!! We even decided to eat there on the way back out.We found the staff to be exceptional, with great positive attitudes and they were ready to laugh about the very rocky sailing!! I was skeptical about eating there but we were all delighted and absolutely stuffed. Definitely recommend the wings- I'd love some right now!! Hope everyone enjoys their holidays, I am beyond jealous and I'm only home a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

dizzyn wrote: »
    For anyone heading on the Oscar Wilde,I cannot recommend the steakhouse enough.We had decided to treat ourselves on the way over as it is a tad more expensive than the Left Bank. Oh my God it was amazing!! The atmosphere is great, food is fab and the service is phenomenal!! We even decided to eat there on the way back out.We found the staff to be exceptional, with great positive attitudes and they were ready to laugh about the very rocky sailing!! I was skeptical about eating there but we were all delighted and absolutely stuffed. Definitely recommend the wings- I'd love some right now!! Hope everyone enjoys their holidays, I am beyond jealous and I'm only home a week!

It must of improved this year, usually its terrible and dry meat. I know they use the same kitchen as the restaurant beside, but the restaurant beside is given first preference all the time as its the boat top restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

I'm delighted to hear the Steakhouse has improved so much. Having over paid for rubbish food and rubbish service a few times in both the steakhouse and the Left Bank we eventually gave up eating on board the Oscar Wilde and now grab a nice late lunch in Culletons before boarding. Around 8pm when we are getting a bit peckish we break out some snacks (dried meats, cheese, maybe some pre-made rolls for the kids) and that gets us through to the next morning. It's a bit like having the dinner in the middle of the day!!

If we're pushed for time this year we might skip Culletons and go to the Steakhouse but it'll be on your recommendation Dizzy :eek:

I do have one reserved with Alamo that I booked back in Feb. Bit annoyed with them as they have increased the price of the toddler seat from €15 to €60. Does your price include the CDW? (Collision Damage Waiver). The car seat is bloody heavy!, is it feasible to bring it on the plane?!

The proper booster seats are heavy because they are the safest ones, for me its worth the investment of hiring it out there, just to know the kids have the best protection.

The half booster seats, ie the ones with no back on them, are getting phased out over Europe, in UK they are meant to be banned soon.

The whole family found it fantastic, and we've an extremely fussy eater with us:rolleyes: I wasn't mad on too many of the mains,and neither was my mum,so instead we ordered starters with sides and it was perfect! They have a good selection so we were all happy out. The waiters were superb, bringing extra bread and coming over to fill our water glasses before we even needed to ask. One thing to bare in mind;our sailing over was very busy so there was await for a table. We are a family of 5 so we knew it would be harder to get a table. There is no booking system so you do have to que, but there was always someone there to keep us up to date and thank us for our patience which I thought was great!

• Advertisement

Also!!!
    If your're travelling from Dublin to Rosslare on a friday afternoon be very mindful of Enniscorthy. When I say we almost missed the boat I really mean it. We got caught with road works and traffic. We had a 4pm sailing and were stuck in Enniscorthy at 3.30!! Never has the car been more silent. We rang IF at 3.35 saying we were on way and they told us check in closes at 3.45! PANIC. We really put the footdown and were zooming past Supervalu in Rosslare at 4.02. We literally threw our passports at the poor girl in check in and somehow were let on the boat. As we got out of the car the doors were closed and the engines turned on. We all stood there in shock for a solid 5 minutes lol!!

Take my advice and leave with PLENTY of time to spare. The IF workers in Rosslare were great though, and saw the funny side to our stressed out faces and manic driving!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

dizzyn wrote:
    Take my advice and leave with PLENTY of time to spare. The IF workers in Rosslare were great though, and saw the funny side to our stressed out faces and manic driving!!

Depending on your starting point, you might consider going via the M9 and N80 instead of the M11/N11. Fewer bottlenecks and roadworks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Also!!!
    If your're travelling from Dublin to Rosslare on a friday afternoon be very mindful of Enniscorthy. When I say we almost missed the boat I really mean it. We got caught with road works and traffic. We had a 4pm sailing and were stuck in Enniscorthy at 3.30!! Never has the car been more silent. We rang IF at 3.35 saying we were on way and they told us check in closes at 3.45! PANIC. We really put the footdown and were zooming past Supervalu in Rosslare at 4.02. We literally threw our passports at the poor girl in check in and somehow were let on the boat. As we got out of the car the doors were closed and the engines turned on. We all stood there in shock for a solid 5 minutes lol!!

Well at least you had a decent excuse with the road works. I really messed up one year when I mixed up the boarding and departure times. I thought I was filling my car up with diesel in the Topaz garage in Drinagh an hour and 15 minutes before departure but it was only 15 minutes before departure. The guy serving me commented that I was fairly laid back given the time. I asked him what he meant and nearly sh@t myself. I bolted into the car, took off like the clappers and 10 minutes later flew past the checkin booths at about 80kmh driving straight to the ship where I was met by an IF staff member whose SW radio was screaming. Turned out one of the ladies in the booth got the fright of her life when we whizzed past and was well pi$$ed off. He advised I drive back to the booth S-L-O-W-L-Y, apologise to his colleague and beg for a boarding pass. I had zero problems eating humble pie, admitted what a tit I was and the kind lady took pity on the kids in the back who would have had to wait 2 days for the next ferry to Roscoff.

Like you as soon as we loaded the loading doors were closed and by the time we got up to the 7th deck (or whichever deck all the bars etc are on) we were moving.

I remember sitting down in the bar looking out the window at the dock thinking, "did that just happen"? We were all stunned but it worked out fine.

The time we arrived in Roscoff for a ferry home that was actually sailing from Cherbourg is another story all together!!!

Even if my kids don't have happy memories of our campsite holidays in France they'll certainly have plenty of memories of close shaves and unplanned adventures usually caused by me. :o

Also!!!

Yeach Enniscorthy is bottle neck.

Also a good tip for anyone running late, ring the boat, you be surprise what they will do for you. We were late coming back last year, just made it, but they said if you had rang we would of waited another 30 mins or so!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭webpal

While we are on the subject, the N25 between ballinaboola and carrigbyrne (east of New Ross) will be undergoing resurfacing works for the next 10 weeks so you might want to leave some extra time if you are heading for the boat from that direction.

• Advertisement

An option for people coming down the N11is to come off the exit for Ballycanew and head towards Wexford town. Speed limit is 80k here but its a good road.

When you get to Castle Bridge, turn right instead of left into Wexford Town, this will bring you back out on the N11 at Crossabeg, hence avoiding Enniscorthy and Wexford Town.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

An option for people coming down the N11is to come off the exit for Ballycanew and head towards Wexford town. Speed limit is 80k here but its a good road.

When you get to Castle Bridge, turn right instead of left into Wexford Town, this will bring you back out on the N11 at Crossabeg, hence avoiding Enniscorthy and Wexford Town.

My Sat Nav took me that way a month or so ago - I guess it knew about the roadworks. It was a clear run but boy is it a quiet area. We couldn't find anywhere to eat for about 50 kilometers!

First Up wrote: »
    My Sat Nav took me that way a month or so ago - I guess it knew about the roadworks. It was a clear run but boy is it a quiet area. We couldn't find anywhere to eat for about 50 kilometers!

Yeah its a quiet back road, castlebridge is the first place for something to eat but your better off waiting till you hit close to Rosslare.

Ferrycarrig is nice but expensive, maldron isn't bad. Whitford is ok also.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Well at least you had a decent excuse with the road works. I really messed up one year when I mixed up the boarding and departure times. I thought I was filling my car up with diesel in the Topaz garage in Drinagh an hour and 15 minutes before departure but it was only 15 minutes before departure. The guy serving me commented that I was fairly laid back given the time. I asked him what he meant and nearly sh@t myself. I bolted into the car, took off like the clappers and 10 minutes later flew past the checkin booths at about 80kmh driving straight to the ship where I was met by an IF staff member whose SW radio was screaming. Turned out one of the ladies in the booth got the fright of her life when we whizzed past and was well pi$$ed off. He advised I drive back to the booth S-L-O-W-L-Y, apologise to his colleague and beg for a boarding pass. I had zero problems eating humble pie, admitted what a tit I was and the kind lady took pity on the kids in the back who would have had to wait 2 days for the next ferry to Roscoff.

Like you as soon as we loaded the loading doors were closed and by the time we got up to the 7th deck (or whichever deck all the bars etc are on) we were moving.

I remember sitting down in the bar looking out the window at the dock thinking, "did that just happen"? We were all stunned but it worked out fine.

The time we arrived in Roscoff for a ferry home that was actually sailing from Cherbourg is another story all together!!!

Even if my kids don't have happy memories of our campsite holidays in France they'll certainly have plenty of memories of close shaves and unplanned adventures usually caused by me. :o

If it hasn't happened to you its hard to describe the pit of the stomach feeling you get when you realize ! Our horror story was coming back from st jean des Monts to roscoff and being broken down in Rennes. 2 plus hours away from roscoff on a midweek day..we were coming back on the Friday of a long weekend. Rang Brittany Ferries and explained. They gave us a mobile no for the boarding crew and said to keep them updated. Made it with minutes to spare, doors closing etc.
    Hopefully never again !

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Juggler101

murt101 wrote: »
    Heading off in 2 weeks and considering a 1 night stop off near Tours if our youngest can't manage the long drive from Cherbourg to St Avit Loisirs...any recommendations for a stop over on this route in case we need it?

We stopped in Domaine de la Breche on way to and from St Avit. Did the job nicely. Met a few people in both campsites who did exactly the same. Only rookie mistake was not booking air con for the overnight campsite, and it is HOT over there at the moment!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I do have one reserved with Alamo that I booked back in Feb. Bit annoyed with them as they have increased the price of the toddler seat from €15 to €60. Does your price include the CDW? (Collision Damage Waiver). The car seat is bloody heavy!, is it feasible to bring it on the plane?!

For 60 euros (or less) you'd probably be able to buy a car seat in Carrefour or Auchan...
    This is a delivery branch of Carrefour, but I'd say you'd find a sample of that in the shops.
    http://www.carrefour.fr/search/site/siege%20b%C3%A9b%C3%A9%20auto/31?can_redirect=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I do have one reserved with Alamo that I booked back in Feb. Bit annoyed with them as they have increased the price of the toddler seat from ?15 to ?60. Does your price include the CDW? (Collision Damage Waiver). The car seat is bloody heavy!, is it feasible to bring it on the plane?!

From memory (with Aer Lingus anyway) you get to bring a car seat free of charge on a child booking, and can check it in at the check in desk so don't need to carry it right to the plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

sillysocks wrote: »
    From memory (with Aer Lingus anyway) you get to bring a car seat free of charge on a child booking, and can check it in at the check in desk so don't need to carry it right to the plane.
    last I checked this is still correct and is also the case with Ryanair. You just need to drop the seat to bulky luggage after you get it tagged at checkin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Karina 2017

First Up wrote: »
    That's a fair old drive - six hours plus. I can't see the exact route for the Tour that day but I know it approaches the city from the South (Mongeron). You might be safer talking a northern route around the city to be on the safe side and avoid diverted traffic.

Thanks for that. Ill look into that route

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭murt101

Juggler101 wrote: »
    We stopped in Domaine de la Breche on way to and from St Avit. Did the job nicely. Met a few people in both campsites who did exactly the same. Only rookie mistake was not booking air con for the overnight campsite, and it is HOT over there at the moment!!

Thanks Juggler. How was your holiday? This is our first time to St Avit...how was the campsite? Any do's/dont's ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Juggler101

murt101 wrote: »
    Thanks Juggler. How was your holiday? This is our first time to St Avit...how was the campsite? Any do's/dont's ?

It's a really nice campsite Murt. Phone coverage isn't great, so I bought Wi-Fi for a week for 16€ and found it very good all over the site. Pools are excellent. Takeaway is fine. We went to the restaurant one night and thought it was good, and not too pricey,it's fairly child friendly too. Campsite reception are helpful if you have questions. Euro camp staff are well intentioned, but don't have much knowledge on local area!
    Limeuil and Sarlat are both beautiful and very different, you should visit them. Local town is Le Bugue, it has very big market on Tuesday morning,and small market on Saturday morning. It's worth a visit. Lots of visitor attractions in the town. We just had time for Le Bournat (a recreated 1900 village), and found it excellent.
    Enjoy your trip, I wish I was still there instead of at my desk!!

PS, Lidl and intemarche, and maybe aldi, are all in the neighbouring town Le Bugue. The first two definitely have good value wine. I believe that there's also a good wine shop there, but we didn't get a chance to visit. It's called Julian something... (can't remember his last name!). It's a big shop, and he's supposed to be very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Mickyjoek

Heading to Aloha Village in Sérignan-Plage for our 3rd visit in a row in 4 weeks, with the wife and 3 kids under 11. Our philosophy is if it works for the kids and they are happy then it works for us. All can't wait as we have enjoyed ourselves so much each trip everyone except me dislikes the drive but know the reward is at the end. This year they have built and upgraded some of their amenities including the pool area Supermarket, Restaurant etc. If anyone one else is heading there and has any questions please come back to me otherwise I will let you all know how it goes when I get back in mid August.

BTW: really enjoy this forum long time reader 1st time poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

Mickyjoek wrote: »
    Heading to Aloha Village in Sérignan-Plage for our 3rd visit in a row in 4 weeks, with the wife and 3 kids under 11. Our philosophy is if it works for the kids and they are happy then it works for us. All can't wait as we have enjoyed ourselves so much each trip everyone except me dislikes the drive but know the reward is at the end. This year they have built and upgraded some of their amenities including the pool area Supermarket, Restaurant etc. If anyone one else is heading there and has any questions please come back to me otherwise I will let you all know how it goes when I get back in mid August.

BTW: really enjoy this forum long time reader 1st time poster.

I'll be up the road from you in Les Sablons at the beginning of July - our seventh year in a row... We'd normally use the Carrefour in Sérignan quite a bit.

I don't know how you manage the drive all the way down there though. How long does it take you?

We have always flown down (to Toulouse, Perpignan and Carcassone but Dublin to Rodez is our usual route) and hired a car there.

A fantastic part of the world!

Anatom wrote: »
    I'll be up the road from you in Les Sablons at the beginning of July - our seventh year in a row... We'd normally use the Carrefour in Sérignan quite a bit.

I don't know how you manage the drive all the way down there though. How long does it take you?

We have always flown down (to Toulouse, Perpignan and Carcassone but Dublin to Rodez is our usual route) and hired a car there.

A fantastic part of the world!

Drive from Cherbourg to Bordeaux take 6/7 hours with stops for and overnight then 4.5 hours normally to Aloha, we get there for lunch, unpack go the pool and enjoy. Trip back I drive up to Le Mans for an overnight which again takes about 6/7 hours with a stop or 2 and then drive to Cherbourg the following day which is about 4 hours away but we take our time as the boat is at 6pm so we can get some dinner and do some last minute shopping for gifts / more wine.

Regarding food shopping we would also always use the Carrefour in Serignan very close and big. The whole area is amazing but we always have great intentions of visiting more places but it so hard to pull ourselves away from the beach and pool and the site, however we have gone into Beziers a number of time and up into the mountains to see some amazing caves (name escapes me) have to visit Carcassonne this year to see the Chateaux, but lets see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

Mickyjoek wrote: »
    Drive from Cherbourg to Bordeaux take 6/7 hours with stops for and overnight then 4.5 hours normally to Aloha, we get there for lunch, unpack go the pool and enjoy. Trip back I drive up to Le Mans for an overnight which again takes about 6/7 hours with a stop or 2 and then drive to Cherbourg the following day which is about 4 hours away but we take our time as the boat is at 6pm so we can get some dinner and do some last minute shopping for gifts / more wine.

Regarding food shopping we would also always use the Carrefour in Serignan very close and big. The whole area is amazing but we always have great intentions of visiting more places but it so hard to pull ourselves away from the beach and pool and the site, however we have gone into Beziers a number of time and up into the mountains to see some amazing caves (name escapes me) have to visit Carcassonne this year to see the Chateaux, but lets see what happens.

Sounds too long a trip for my lot - and I'd hate to "lose" the two days at either end of my precious two weeks off with travelling. It'd be fine if it was just myself and herself.

Yeah, Beziers is lovely - if you haven't already, check out the seven locks on the canal (Les Ecluses). Also, Pézenas is lovely. we discovered it by accident last year when I went to see the nearest point where the Tour de France was passing. Lovely old town, with great little craft shops and a truly fantastic sweet shop for the kids. There's also a brilliant aquarium over in Agde which the kids would love as well. We go over to Montpelier every year as well. Worth a visit. Carcasonne is interesting alright, but its very expensive and not really worth the hour and a half it takes to get there. Maybe on the way by for a visit.

Have you ever gone to the safari place further west from you in Sigean? We're considering it but I don't want to waste time/money if its not worth it. There's a water park over that direction as well, but again, not sure its worth it given the slides etc. in our own site...?

Anatom wrote: »
    Sounds too long a trip for my lot - and I'd hate to "lose" the two days at either end of my precious two weeks off with travelling. It'd be fine if it was just myself and herself.

Yeah, Beziers is lovely - if you haven't already, check out the seven locks on the canal (Les Ecluses). Also, Pézenas is lovely. we discovered it by accident last year when I went to see the nearest point where the Tour de France was passing. Lovely old town, with great little craft shops and a truly fantastic sweet shop for the kids. There's also a brilliant aquarium over in Agde which the kids would love as well. We go over to Montpelier every year as well. Worth a visit. Carcasonne is interesting alright, but its very expensive and not really worth the hour and a half it takes to get there. Maybe on the way by for a visit.

Have you ever gone to the safari place further west from you in Sigean? We're considering it but I don't want to waste time/money if its not worth it. There's a water park over that direction as well, but again, not sure its worth it given the slides etc. in our own site...?

Cheers for the ideas, I suppose I'm just lucky i'm able to take nearly 3 weeks weeks off so I can stay 14 nights on site. I have heard of the Water park ''Aqualand Cap d'Agde'', in fact I was there over 20 years ago when I was a kid. At peak holiday times it gets a bit crazy and the prices are a bit steep. Haven't been to the safari, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sandypas76

Baybay wrote: »
    It's about five visits between departure & arrival, say 3 before bed & 2 in the morning. There are none during the night.
    A litter tray is provided in each cage & also extra litter & a scoop.
    I usually spend a few minutes clearing the tray, feeding the cat & having a bit of a chat! Maybe ten minutes or so. For our cat, it's enough as any longer & he thinks he should get out. I don't want him to do that, just in case. He travels with a secure bucked collar & an extendable leash, allowing some freedom & security.

Ciao Baybay,

I just wanted to let you know that we made it! Schopenhauer and I left last Saturday and arrived in Dublin on Thursday. We stopped 2 nights in Modena, 2 nughts in Lyon and 1 night on the ferry. He was ok at the first 2 places. He explored the 2 housesand interacted with my friends.
    He got quite cranky when we left Lyon to get to Cherbourg on the 5th day. Had to change station in Paris and that wasnt a joke. Beside the pet carrier, I had a heavy backpack, a large handbag and a 30kg suitcase! The challenge was the suitcase at every change of train and location. Sometimes I got help, sometimes I didn't. It was quite an adventure!
    While we were on the move, he never wanted to eat, drink or go to the toilet, which was handy! (Not until we stopped at a location of accommodation).
    When we were on the train, I noticed that if I let him out to explore the coach, then he'd be quieter once I put him back in the carrier. Oh yeah, I should say that I had him on a lead/leash.
    I don't think he liked the trip on the ferry. It was the day he was the most stressed out.
    I didn't use any sedative. I think he was very good considering everything.
    Now he's getting used to the apartment.

So thanks again for your help and for sharing your experience of travelling with your cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Baybay

sandypas76 wrote: »
    Ciao Baybay,

I just wanted to let you know that we made it! Schopenhauer and I...

I'm so pleased that all went well for you both & that I may have been able to help a little.
    What an undertaking! Well done!

I hope Dublin is everything you're both wishing for!

Anyone know where to find the cinema listings for Irish Ferries? I've done a quick Google but no joy.

• Advertisement

Juggler101 wrote: »
    It's a really nice campsite Murt. Phone coverage isn't great, so I bought Wi-Fi for a week for 16€ and found it very good all over the site. Pools are excellent. Takeaway is fine. We went to the restaurant one night and thought it was good, and not too pricey,it's fairly child friendly too. Campsite reception are helpful if you have questions. Euro camp staff are well intentioned, but don't have much knowledge on local area!
    Limeuil and Sarlat are both beautiful and very different, you should visit them. Local town is Le Bugue, it has very big market on Tuesday morning,and small market on Saturday morning. It's worth a visit. Lots of visitor attractions in the town. We just had time for Le Bournat (a recreated 1900 village), and found it excellent.
    Enjoy your trip, I wish I was still there instead of at my desk!!

PS, Lidl and intemarche, and maybe aldi, are all in the neighbouring town Le Bugue. The first two definitely have good value wine. I believe that there's also a good wine shop there, but we didn't get a chance to visit. It's called Julian something... (can't remember his last name!). It's a big shop, and he's supposed to be very helpful.

Thanks for that Juggler, really looking forward to getting there and exploring the area now!
    Did you try any canoeing? I'm guessing it's a no-go with a toddler but we live in hope! ðŸ˜

Advertisement