Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dizzyn

murt101 wrote: »
    Anyone know where to find the cinema listings for Irish Ferries? I've done a quick Google but no joy.

If you send them an email (has to be less than 3 days before your sailing) they'll let you know... But usually about 5 days after the sailing!!

When we went at the start of this month there was Kong Island, The Great Wall, King Arthur, Boss Baby and a few others which I can't remember!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerd4

Heading on Wednesday cant wait at this stage.  Checking out wineries etc online and things to do and see in Nantes/ Bordeaux/La Rochelle/Rennes during our stopovers there and back.  Also looking at Biarritz and even San Sebastian in Spain as day trips from La Reserve .
    One question for those that take their cars over.  Last year I had AA breakdown cover as it wasnt that pricey.  This year as my car is now 8 years old the price has sky rocketed.  Are there any other options or are the AA the only show in town?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭postsnthing

mikerd4 wrote:
    Heading on Wednesday cant wait at this stage. Checking out wineries etc online and things to do and see in Nantes/ Bordeaux/La Rochelle/Rennes during our stopovers there and back. Also looking at Biarritz and even San Sebastian in Spain as day trips from La Reserve . One question for those that take their cars over. Last year I had AA breakdown cover as it wasnt that pricey. This year as my car is now 8 years old the price has sky rocketed. Are there any other options or are the AA the only show in town?

If you have a Ford they offer Europe wide roadside assistance with services could be something you could look in to

Not a Ford unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

Is aa membership not for the driver, no matter what car they are in. The price shouldn't change.

I'm heading over on the ferry next weekend.
    Weather forecast is bad for most of France for the whole week. How bad does it have to be for the ferry not to sail? The train I can take but it would be a serious pain if the ferry was canceled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Baybay

Anatom wrote: »
    Have you ever gone to the safari place further west from you in Sigean? We're considering it but I don't want to waste time/money if its not worth it.

It's probably been about six or seven years since we were there but it was certainly a great day out then. We had our children & my parents in law with us & we all loved it.
    In addition to the safari, there were also parts of the park that were walk through, which was great after driving there & being in the car for the safari.
    We spent a large part of the day there & the animals seemed to be kept in good conditions & were happy. Hope that's still the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Depending on who you are going with you may be able to get cover. Kelair have a policy you can take for the duration. As with all insurance matters read the cover in detail. If you break down on certain motorways in France you will be recovered by the authorised contractor and will be billed. The breakdown help team will not be able to assist you on the side of the motorway so you end up being brought to a retail park or services area and getting the insurance provided service to meet you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Try breakdowncover.ie , I usually get them

Did not think the weather was that bad, I thought the worst was to be over by the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

mikerd4 wrote: »
    Heading on Wednesday cant wait at this stage.  Checking out wineries etc online and things to do and see in Nantes/ Bordeaux/La Rochelle/Rennes during our stopovers there and back.  Also looking at Biarritz and even San Sebastian in Spain as day trips from La Reserve.

Was in La Reserve myself last year and loved it, going back in a few weeks and can't wait.

Ref things to do one thing I'd recommend is Dune du Pilat, Europes tallest sand dune. It's a bit of craic climbing it (it's not hard) and the kids loved running and tumbling down to the bottom. It's located here which is about an hour from La Reserve.
    One question for those that take their cars over.  Last year I had AA breakdown cover as it wasnt that pricey.  This year as my car is now 8 years old the price has sky rocketed.  Are there any other options or are the AA the only show in town?

I've been using https://www.adac.de for years. Biggest AA organisation in Europe. IIRC I pay €120 a year for Europe wide breakdown coverage for myself, my wife and the two kids regardless of what vehicle we are in.

The best bit is that the annual coverage includes Ireland so when you have a breakdown here it's the Irish AA who come out to help you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Heading tomorrow to St Jean de Monts area. Weather forecast not looking so good for the coming week unfortunately.
    Fingers crossed it improves aand quickly

• Advertisement

Im already an aa member and have paid for a years cover so adac is a last resort.

Cant find details of breakdown.ie eu coverage details.

Have found roadrescue.ie has anyone used them?

Jesuis- already got the sand dune planned...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Jesuis- already got the sand dune planned...

BTW, Mimizan is about 15 minutes drive from La Reserve and is a nice seaside resort type town with lot's of restaurants and good to stroll around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

I took a policy out with roadrescue 50e for my single trip

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Irish Ferries offer breakdown cover - you can add it in "Manage Booking" on the website. Its quoting me €48 for our 3 weeks - breakdowncover.ie is €84 for the year but we're not likely to be on the continent again this year and our insurance already includes Ireland+UK rescue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

loyatemu wrote: »
    Irish Ferries offer breakdown cover - you can add it in "Manage Booking" on the website. Its quoting me €48 for our 3 weeks - breakdowncover.ie is €84 for the year but we're not likely to be on the continent again this year and our insurance already includes Ireland+UK rescue.

before buying check to see if you already have breakdown coverage in mainland Europe from your insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Juggler101

murt101 wrote: »
    Thanks for that Juggler, really looking forward to getting there and exploring the area now!
    Did you try any canoeing? I'm guessing it's a no-go with a toddler but we live in hope! ðŸ˜

Hi Murt, no, we didn't even think about canoeing to be honest with you, oldest child is 6, so maybe in a few years we'll look at it, I'm happy enough to wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭micks_address

hi folks,

first time poster on the thread - we are heading to france next Tuesday night. Stena line from Rosslare to Cherbourg, staying in domaine des ormes. Couple of questions which may have been answered already so apologies

1) On site activities, like horse riding, archery, zip lines etc - I assume there is a charge for those? Where can I find out how much they cost? Can you buy like tokens or whatever the system is? Do you need cash on site or will cards be accepted?
    2) We are staying in the Espirit plus deck mobile - does the kitchen have a toaster?
    3) What are the on site prices like for restaurant/shop? Is it better to travel outside and stock up on food?
    4) We are bringing a electric 30 litre cooler box - my wife is a little anxious about bringing food - what do people usually bring?
    5) Wineries - we definitely want to bring back some white wine... any suggestions on places to try on way back to ferry?
    6) Days out - we are definitely planning to go to the beaches in Normandy - and thinking of a trip to Puy Du Fou. It looks about 2.5 hours drive from the camp.
    7) The ferry - sails at 9.30 so thinking we will have eaten before boarding for the night - maybe a cinema trip and hopefully sleep and breakfast on the boat. Gets into france I think around 4.15 next day
    That's all I can think of at the moment but I'm sure Ill be back :)

Thanks,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Hero777

hi folks,

first time poster on the thread - we are heading to france next Tuesday night. Stena line from Rosslare to Cherbourg, staying in domaine des ormes. Couple of questions which may have been answered already so apologies

1) On site activities, like horse riding, archery, zip lines etc - I assume there is a charge for those? Where can I find out how much they cost? Can you buy like tokens or whatever the system is? Do you need cash on site or will cards be accepted?
    2) We are staying in the Espirit plus deck mobile - does the kitchen have a toaster?
    3) What are the on site prices like for restaurant/shop? Is it better to travel outside and stock up on food?
    4) We are bringing a electric 30 litre cooler box - my wife is a little anxious about bringing food - what do people usually bring?
    5) Wineries - we definitely want to bring back some white wine... any suggestions on places to try on way back to ferry?
    6) Days out - we are definitely planning to go to the beaches in Normandy - and thinking of a trip to Puy Du Fou. It looks about 2.5 hours drive from the camp.
    7) The ferry - sails at 9.30 so thinking we will have eaten before boarding for the night - maybe a cinema trip and hopefully sleep and breakfast on the boat. Gets into france I think around 4.15 next day

Thanks,
    Mick
    Hi Mick, 
    While i haven't been to this campsite i do have one piece of advice.  Given that you are bringing the cool box you should make up a portion of Spag Bol and freeze it.  Should be just defrosted by the time you reach the camp site.  Shops might be closed so this is a great option for the first night on site, works a treat!  Just make sure to bring a bag of pasta as well!

hi folks,

Thanks,
    Mick

- bring your own sheets and towels as the ones provided are pretty awful.
    - keep in mind that all shops maybe closed when you arrive so maybe bring something easy to prepare that night.
    - you will probably be not that far from a proper supermarket so you can stock up on food from there.
    - buy your wine near the port when you are heading home. If departing from Roscoff we find the wine store with the red double decker bus really good.
    - no toaster from what I remember but not sure you will find any bread you can toast anyway!
    - no need to bring food with you other than things you cannot get in France.
    French supermarkets are really good and cheaper than here. We just bring tea and our Nespresso machine and that's about it.
    - You will also have a local market you can go to in the morning and pick up all sorts of very nice food.
    - your campsite will have bread and pastry deliveries every morning although some you need to order the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dizzyn

hi folks,

Thanks,
    Mick

Hi Mick, we're des Ormes veterans and just back from a week there!
    It's an amazing site, you'll love it.
    1. Most activities have a small charge, you can find these under "activities"on the website https://www.lesormes.com/en/holidays-and-stays/activities . All activities can be booked at the reception outside the indoor swimming pool. You book in and pay beforehand i.e. a day or two before, and they give you a token which you need to bring to the activity as proof of booking. Cards are accepted and there is also an ATM onsite in the main reception.

3. There is a small spar onsite which is good for getting a few bits. It is quite reasonably priced although the selection is quite limited. They do have wine/beer at good prices. We always head into Dol and do a big food shop, including wine and sweets, and things fora bbq! We find Super U to be the best supermarket in the town. It is big and the staff are friendly. There is a great selection and prices are good.
    There are a number of places to eat out onsite, the Pizzeria, Le Cellier, Clubhouse and hotel restaurant. The pizzeria also doubles as a takeaway. The staff here are great and it is super for children. Le cellier is good too and slightly more formal than the Pizzeria. I haven't been to the other 2 in a few years but they have always been good. There are also a number of places to eat in Dol and Combourg, just be wary of opening hours. Some restaurants will say they are open on a specific day even though they aren't. We visited La Flambeé in Dol and thought it was wonderful.

4. We always bring an empty coolbox to fill with lovely french food to bring home! We never really bring much food on the way over as we love French food. You will arrive on a Wednesday so supermarkets will be open anyway. This year we packed pepper, sugar and coffee filters, to save us buying them over there. We also pack a bag full of food and drinks for the ferry, saves us a fortune!! We bring back fresh/fridge food in anon-electrical food box and never have any issues, so if you do decide to bring food with you there should be no problems.

5. We find supermarkets to be great for the wine. We try different types throughout the week, then buy boxes of or favourites in the supermarket.

6. Saint Malo and Mont Saint Michel are both very close to des ormes. We visited both this time round. Saint Malo is a beautiful town, with and old walled city within it. The old town is stunning and has a wonderful feel to it; we go back every year. There is an Aquarium in the new town,just off the motorway. I highly recommend a visit here, it is superb and miles above any aquariums we have here. It is well worth a visit and is enjoyable for all. Mont Saint Michel is also fabulous and worth a visit. Google it and you'll be impressed by the pictures. It is extremely touristy but also very very well managed, with free shuttle buses from the car parks. There is also security checks as you enter, which was a new one for us. Our bags were checked going in which gave the security a laugh as they were filled with food :D Its a real sign of the times tbh!! Saint Leonard is a small village about 1 mile from the campsite, with a direct walking trail linking the two. It is nice to see a very French town that remains authentic even though the site is next door. There is a nice market on a Sunday morning which we really liked.

Des ormes is one of my favourite places on the planet, and I like to think I'm somewhat of an expert at this stage!! Any other questions, ask away:)

• Advertisement

Anyone stayed with siblu able to tell me if its worth renting the towels and.linen or are we best taking our own??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

Anyone stayed with siblu able to tell me if its worth renting the towels and.linen or are we best taking our own??

I have never gone with Siblu, but have been with eurocamp / keycamp many times. We take one set of beach towels with us and rent another set from the campsite. We also rent a set of linen. Have never had any problems. They're always left wrapped in plastic from the cleaners when we arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Its worth taking them from siblu. Its worth bringing your own beach towels for the beach etc and use their towels for showers etc.

There bed stuff is grand, we use it all the time

take your own sheets. The Eurocamp ones are awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Charliebull

domaine des ormes is a fab site, before i start please excuse my spelling

Super U in Dol de Bretange is the best for shopping and the holiday wine, its about 10 mins from the camp site

there is a large super market in St Malo, I cant think of the name but it has a great selection of wine and thats where we bought the wine to take home

Mont St Michael is well worth a trip as is St Malo

Restraunt on the site is plain but food is good, there is also a takeaway
    Spar Shop is fine for basics and the morning bread and croissants

Enjoy this site, we certainly did, going again this weekend but to a different site this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

BailMeOut wrote: »
    take your own sheets. The Eurocamp ones are awful.

Really not necessary, we've been with Eurocamp for the last 5 years and had no problems. I would however bring them if I had the space to save a few quid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

Really not necessary, we've been with Eurocamp for the last 5 years and had no problems. I would however bring them if I had the space to save a few quid

Ditto this. The sheets are fine. I'd only take our own if we had space in the suitcases - which we don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Heading to Camping Grenouillere, a Capfun site, in the Loire valley on Saturday. It is near Blois. Travelling with 12, 14 and 16 year old boys. Early indications are that the weather won't be great.

There is a heated indoor pool but expect it to be mental if raining. Looking for suggestions for rainy days. I know we are in the centre of the Chateau region. Myself and the wife would be happy to visit a few but it will be hell on earth for the boys...

Anything else in the region that would interest teenagers? Wi-Fi probably mandatory! We have a car and happy enough to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GeneralSherman

Barnaboy wrote: »
    Heading to Camping Grenouillere, a Capfun site, in the Loire valley on Saturday. It is near Blois. Travelling with 12, 14 and 16 year old boys. Early indications are that the weather won't be great.

There is a heated indoor pool but expect it to be mental if raining. Looking for suggestions for rainy days. I know we are in the centre of the Chateau region. Myself and the wife would be happy to visit a few but it will be hell on earth for the boys...

Anything else in the region that would interest teenagers? Wi-Fi probably mandatory! We have a car and happy enough to travel.

La Maison de la Magie Robert Houdini in Blois is essential. Make sure to get there when the snakes are in action... Google it. Great rainy day activity.
    Also the region is famous for it's troglodyte cave homes. I can't remember which we visited but it was a hit with our kids and weather independent.
    Also Leonardo De Vinci's last residence Clos du Lucé is worth a visit with plenty to interest teens in the gardens in particular.
    Also plan to hire a kayak and go on the Loire river itself. Loire Valley is also famous for it's cycle paths.
    I loved the Loire Valley, it really is beautiful. Might go back there next year. Please let me know how your campsite was.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Hi,

I'm traveling from rosslare to France soon, for our first trip to France. We are staying on mobile home in a campsite about two hours from the port. Bedding is provided in the mobile home.

Two adults, two children under 10 but not babies, a standard saloon car, no roof box, no bikes.

We sail overnight and have a cabin.

I would love tips about what I should bring in the car with us, either for use in the ferry or when we arrive.

Thanks

Advertisement