Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

Which ferry - the Oscar Wilde?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Bring the bare minimum up to your cabin. Games for the kids and books. DS, DVD player etc.Have it in a bag ready packed. Bring snacks for kids and yourselves.
    Don't bring bags of clothes etc, onto the ferry, it's a crush going down the steep stairways when the ferry docks, and you need hands free for balance and to hold kids.
    There is a soft play area for kids, but you need to supervise it yourself, because older children than is recommended often monopolize it.
    They give you a sticker to remind you which stairwell and deck you left your car on. I like to stick it on the back of my passport , so it's easy found.
    There are 2 cinema screens, they show a kids film early. Also kids entertainer in the lounge. Both are usually good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

Advice for driving over there;

https://www.theaa.com/european-breakdown-cover/driving-in-europe/driving-in-france

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/driving-abroad/top-10-tips-for-driving-through-france

http://www.drive-france.com/

Despite the legal requirement to have a disposable breathalyzer in the car, there is apparently no fine associated with not having them.

While we brought headlight converters with us previously we didn't use them as we ended up not driving after dusk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Dónal wrote: »
    Which ferry - the Oscar Wilde?

Ooh I don't know!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

fdevine wrote: »
    Advice for driving over there;

https://www.theaa.com/european-breakdown-cover/driving-in-europe/driving-in-france

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/driving-abroad/top-10-tips-for-driving-through-france

http://www.drive-france.com/

Despite the legal requirement to have a disposable breathalyzer in the car, there is apparently no fine associated with not having them.

While we brought headlight converters with us previously we didn't use them as we ended up not driving after dusk.

Thanks - are they expensive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

Thanks - are they expensive?

The breathalyzers? No, <€5 for 2

http://www.halfords.ie/motoring/travel-accessories/breathalysers/alcosense-single-use-nf-breathalyser-twin-pack

Headlamp converters & IRL sricker €12

http://www.halfords.ie/motoring/travel-accessories/car-headlamp-converters/halfords-irl-sticker-headlamp-converters-pack

Spare bulbs you should be able to pick up cheap & reflective vests can be got in Dealz or € shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Hi,

I'm traveling from rosslare to France soon, for our first trip to France. We are staying on mobile home in a campsite about two hours from the port. Bedding is provided in the mobile home.

Two adults, two children under 10 but not babies, a standard saloon car, no roof box, no bikes.

We sail overnight and have a cabin.

I would love tips about what I should bring in the car with us, either for use in the ferry or when we arrive.

Thanks

So when you pack your car, leave your over night bag for the ferry easy to get.

Dvd player for the cabin is handy for the kids

Buy the kids some games or toy cars etc, to entertain them.

Travel sickness tablets or travel braclets

Bottles of water

Phone charges

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Hero777

So with 2 weeks to go I have started making a list of idea's/things to bring.  Ignoring all the usual stuff (toys, sleeping bags, salt pepper etc) here are a few things we have added this year through a few "lessons learned" 

2 Mugs (for the obligatory cuppa)
    Frozen Lasagna (for when you arrive after the shops are closed)
    Duct tape and WD40 (as previously said in this thread "if it moves and it shouldn't - duct tape. If i doesn't move and it should - WD40)
    Couple of decent Knives
    Flexi bucket - great for bathing the smaller kids
    Bluetooth speaker
    Hand Cart - Amazon

Any other interesting idea's?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

An extension lead (with 4/5 plugs) is handy as you can plug irish applicances into it and you just need one travel adapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

billbond4 wrote: »
    An extension lead is handy as you can plug irish applicances into it and you just need one travel adapter.

It also lets you sit outside on the deck and use your laptop if like me you work for yourself so like to do half an hours emails and calls each morning.

Disclaimer: Only if it's not raining or you have a covered deck!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭webpal

billbond4 wrote: »
    An extension lead (with 4/5 plugs) is handy as you can plug irish applicances into it and you just need one travel adapter.

This is handy for the boat too (along with an adaptor) as nowadays there are numerous tablets and phones in each family, it's good to have everything fully charged before the long drive.

I always bring a torch, small screwdriver set and a wrench

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

fdevine wrote: »
    The breathalyzers? No, <€5 for 2

http://www.halfords.ie/motoring/travel-accessories/breathalysers/alcosense-single-use-nf-breathalyser-twin-pack

Headlamp converters & IRL sricker €12

http://www.halfords.ie/motoring/travel-accessories/car-headlamp-converters/halfords-irl-sticker-headlamp-converters-pack

Spare bulbs you should be able to pick up cheap & reflective vests can be got in Dealz or € shops.

Don't bother with the French brethalyzers, it was nothing but a political money making racket. A relative of one of the senior politicians who made them mandatory ran the only company that make the things, after he was ousted the new government removed the penalty for not carrying them. There is still a requirement to carry but no penalty if you dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

webpal wrote: »
    This is handy for the boat too (along with an adaptor) as nowadays there are numerous tablets and phones in each family, it's good to have everything fully charged before the long drive.

I always bring a torch, small screwdriver set and a wrench

Don't forget a hammer, a pliers, a stanley knife and some gorilla tape!!

With those you can create a MacGyver solution to most situations!!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭wall

I don't mean to dampen the mood but with a forecast of wind & rain for this Friday/Saturday, I'm wondering do people have any suggestions to help with sea sickness if it comes on, either in the kids or ourselves. I've found gingernuts work for me on short trips but i dont think i could nibble them for 18 hours. A small lump of ginger in your water bottle is also meant to be good but i hav'nt tried this yet. Doing a curry the night before with ginger in it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

wall wrote: »
    I don't mean to dampen the mood but with a forecast of wind & rain for this Friday/Saturday, I'm wondering do people have any suggestions to help with sea sickness if it comes on, either in the kids or ourselves. I've found gingernuts work for me on short trips but i dont think i could nibble them for 18 hours. A small lump of ginger in your water bottle is also meant to be good but i hav'nt tried this yet. Doing a curry the night before with ginger in it too.

Sea bands worked for my girls last year on a very bumpy crossing, one of them especially would not have good sea legs

Main reason we stopped using the boat. Little lad couldn't handle it when rough even with sea bracelets.

Only advice I give is get food before boat and have everyone lie down early in their cabin.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

Ha ha.
    I'm worried about the exact same thing after seeing the forecast. It's years since I was on the ferry and the last time I was sick as a parrot. I'm sure it's just worry though. I think it will be raining but the sea isn't rough, so should be ok.
    At least that's how I'm handling it in my head :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Baybay

We use the ferry every year. I'm not a fan but I do like taking the car, the cat etc.
    I never travelled well regardless of how rough or smooth the sea was.
    A few years ago, the ferry was five or six hours late leaving Cherbourg but we had all boarded for the regular departure time.
    I walked around, seeing parts of the boat I'd only ever heard of in fabled tales of delight from the other members of my family! I think it helped we were still in port & I could orient myself with buildings, the horizon etc.
    Anyway I've been much better since but like to get on the boat as early as I can, again just to get my bearings.

Before this, I used the sea bands (marginally helpful) & lay in my darkened cabin until we arrived!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dizzyn

We all found Sturgeon tablets fantastic this year. We had a really rocky crossing on the way home, it was possibly one of the roughest sailings I've ever been on. Everyone was falling around the place, and a woman even fell down the stairs. The tablets were super though and can be bought in the pharmacy. If you're in a chemist in France, Meercalm (that is definitely spelled wrong lol) tablets are amazing!! We stock up they're that good.

Baybay wrote: »
    We use the ferry every year. I'm not a fan but I do like taking the car, the cat etc.
    I never travelled well regardless of how rough or smooth the sea was.
    A few years ago, the ferry was five or six hours late leaving Cherbourg but we had all boarded for the regular departure time.
    I walked around, seeing parts of the boat I'd only ever heard of in fabled tales of delight from the other members of my family! I think it helped we were still in port & I could orient myself with buildings, the horizon etc.
    Anyway I've been much better since but like to get on the boat as early as I can, again just to get my bearings.

Before this, I used the sea bands (marginally helpful) & lay in my darkened cabin until we arrived!

Try the travel sickness tablets, they are very good. Kids cant have them till a certain age though.

Yeah I love the idea of the car, but will rent one this year. I think i like to move on from France soon, so getting the kids used to flying was the next stage, might try the camps in Italy next year if the kids allow me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Don't bother with the French brethalyzers, it was nothing but a political money making racket. A relative of one of the senior politicians who made them mandatory ran the only company that make the things, after he was ousted the new government removed the penalty for not carrying them. There is still a requirement to carry but no penalty if you dont.
    yep, idiotic law

do the French police actually check for the headlight converters any more?
    I only ever see the converters being mentioned by the likes of the AA, or RAC, or ferry companies with a nice link or hint that they'll sell you them!
    I get that your lights may startle someone on the other side of the road, but is it really a law that you must have a headlight converter ?

BTW, heres RACs 10 top tips for driving in France, updated last week.
    https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/country/france/ and
    https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/driving-abroad/top-10-tips-for-driving-through-france/

yep, idiotic law

do the French police actually check for the headlight converters any more?
    I only ever see the converters being mentioned by the likes of the AA, or RAC, or ferry companies with a nice link or hint that they'll sell you them!
    I get that your lights may startle someone on the other side of the road, but is it really a law that you must have a headlight converter ?

BTW, heres RACs 10 top tips for driving in France, updated last week.
    https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/country/france/ and
    https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/driving-abroad/top-10-tips-for-driving-through-france/

If your not driving at night you don't need the light converters.

Watch when your speeding, the police have their own spot checks with police on motor bikes. I got caught and they bring you off the motor way to another police car to give you a fine that you must pay cash there and then. Think its is 30/50 euro.

Just give them the money, be nice and don't argue.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, by now you should realise that you do not need those breathalyzers but if you or your partner are the worrying type, buy them in Halfords where they are about €5 for a pair, do not buy them on the ferry where I believe they are much more expensive. And by the way, they are less than useless. I bought a pair just for a lark and tried one of them after a few glasses of wine at home, there is no way you can tell what shade of green or yellow the crystals turn so it's most likely that it was a money making racket as mentioned by a previous poster.

A driving tip for when in France: the merging lanes on motorways are much shorter then here so if you are merging onto a motorway so do not wait until you can see the traffic already on the motorway in order to gauge the speed you need to be at to merge, that will often be too late. Get up to motorway speed before you can see the traffic already on the motorway.

Access to the car deck is not allowed when the boat is at sea so make sure that you have packed everything you need for the overnight in separate bag(s).

When coming back, you may have an almost empty fuel tank if the fuel in France is still more expensive then here. The very first filling station you meet when you come off the ferry in Rosslare is a tourist trap, the French tourists pull in there to fill up their empty tanks because they think that guy is charging regular Irish prices which he is not. Do not fill up there as the prices are cheaper at the next few places you pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭kindalen

Bring an adaptor plug for your cabin. sockets on ship and probably your mobile will be euro/french sockets.

coylemj wrote: »
    OP, by now you should realise that you do not need those breathalyzers but if you or your partner are the worrying type, buy them in Halfords where they are about €5 for a pair, do not buy them on the ferry where I believe they are much more expensive. And by the way, they are less than useless. I bought a pair just for a lark and tried one of them after a few glasses of wine at home, there is no way you can tell what shade of green or yellow the crystals turn so it's most likely that it was a money making racket as mentioned by a previous poster.

A driving tip for when in France: the merging lanes on motorways are much shorter then here so if you are merging onto a motorway so do not wait until you can see the traffic already on the motorway in order to gauge the speed you need to be at to merge, that will often be too late. Get up to motorway speed before you can see the traffic already on the motorway.

Access to the car deck is not allowed when the boat is at sea so make sure that you have packed everything you need for the overnight in separate bag(s).

When coming back, you may have an almost empty fuel tank if the fuel in France is still more expensive then here. The very first filling station you meet when you come off the ferry in Rosslare is a tourist trap, the French tourists pull in there to fill up their empty tanks because they think that guy is charging regular Irish prices which he is not. Do not fill up there as the prices are cheaper at the next few places you pass.

A tip on the fuel, go to SuperU, way cheaper than here last year, around 1 euro per litre

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭alowe

This year we brought meat with us for the first time. Just some steaks and mince from the butcher - all vacum packed. We had a freezer bag with the usual ice blocks - however, hubbie filled and froze some 2ltr water bottles, so we put pretty much a large block of ice into the bags. It worked a treat. Bag and all food in it was kept cool for the entire journey of boat and drive to campsite - and we then had lovely cold water to drink when we arrived in 30 degree weather:-)

Btw - thanks to whoever suggested the duct-tape. Needed it a few times on this trip, and was very appreciative to have it - so thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GeneralSherman

Folks, get the seasickness tablets called Stugeron. They have worked everytime for us but they need to be taken an hour before you get on the boat. We usually take them when we pull in to the queue for the boat. None of our family of 6 have been sick since we started taking them the year after a bad experience for a few of us. Another friend of ours whose kids always suffer on the boat also swears by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Did the ferry to France every year for like 10yrs as a kid. One thing my parents swore by was getting dinner before we went on board, and bringing the cooler bag with food for breakfast the next morning as the cafeteria was pretty expensive and not great at all.

Don't forget travel sickness tablets as you might get unlucky and have a rough crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭pmpa

About the Stugeron , does it make yer kids sleepy? I gave it to my ten year old last year and he was asleep by 7pm! We couldn't wake him. He wasn't happy that he missed out on the boat adventure:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GeneralSherman

No my kids are 10,12, 13 and 15 and they have had no ill effects from them at all. My brother felt very sleepy one year but it could have been the few pints he had in the bar. :)

Advertisement