Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

Gavlor wrote: »
    Yep, with Irish ferries you buy tickets onboard. About €7 each

Great thanks, good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Ranleth

josip wrote: »
    Chilly in the tent in La Rochelle tonight.
    Should have packed another duvet.
    Shoulda, coulda, woulda...
    We're heading later this week and camping (in a tent): 3 nights in St Malo, 3 nights just north of La Rochelle, a week just north of Arcachon and a few nights in the Loire Valley on the return trip.
    1st time doing an extended camping trip with the family - 2 girls (7 and 4).  
    Any idea of how cold/hot it may be in the tent this time of year?  We can always wear extra clothes and there seems to be a few Decathalon shops around too which are great for outdoor gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,935 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Off tomorrow - we'll have 4 bikes on the back and one on the roof with a roofbox, which will be first for us. I've carried a couple of small bikes on the boot before, but never anything like this (going up hills could be interesting). If you see a car by the side of the road in Wexford with a guy picking up pieces of smashed bike, give me a wave :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GeneralSherman

Ranleth wrote: »
    We're heading later this week and camping (in a tent): 3 nights in St Malo, 3 nights just north of La Rochelle, a week just north of Arcachon and a few nights in the Loire Valley on the return trip.
    Any idea of how cold/hot it may be in the tent this time of year?  We can always wear extra clothes and there seems to be a few Decathalon shops around too which are great for outdoor gear.

We have camped twice before (in a tent) in France this time of year. One or two nights were chilly but that was all and not nearly as damp as Ireland. If you have a good sleeping bag and insulate yourself from the cold of an air bed with a cheap fleece blanket you will be fine. Cotton pjs are enough and not the heavy fleece ones. I prefer the temperature of the tents at night as they cool off quickly compared to the mobile homes. Flip side is that they also heat up very quickly once sun comes up. Decathlon will have anything you may need. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

loyatemu wrote: »
    Off tomorrow - we'll have 4 bikes on the back and one on the roof with a roofbox, which will be first for us. I've carried a couple of small bikes on the boot before, but never anything like this (going up hills could be interesting). If you see a car by the side of the road in Wexford with a guy picking up pieces of smashed bike, give me a wave :pac:

Be mega careful with the roof mounted bike. Some serious accidents have been caused by bikes shearing off as a result of poor mounting and/or speeding resulting in major accidents and in one case I read previously bur can't now find online some motorway deaths in the UK. This thread is worth a read.

Also, roof mounted bikes (and roof boxes in general) are a disaster for getting caught in car park barriers etc. We're all so used to driving our cars into car parks with height restrictions that we easily forget we have a roof box or bike up there and the consequences can be expensive.

Although it's a bit of a pain I generally remove the roof box from my car when we arrive at the campsite so I can drive around (on the 'wrong' side of the road) without also having to remember to not enter any car parks with height restrictions below 2.3m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,935 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Be mega careful with the roof mounted bike. Some serious accidents have been caused by bikes shearing off as a result of poor mounting and/or speeding resulting in major accidents and in one case I read previously bur can't now find online some motorway deaths in the UK. This thread is worth a read.

Also, roof mounted bikes (and roof boxes in general) are a disaster for getting caught in car park barriers etc. We're all so used to driving our cars into car parks with height restrictions that we easily forget we have a roof box or bike up there and the consequences can be expensive.

Although it's a bit of a pain I generally remove the roof box from my car when we arrive at the campsite so I can drive around (on the 'wrong' side of the road) without also having to remember to not enter any car parks with height restrictions below 2.3m.

We've been using the roof box for years - I'm ultra paranoid about car park barriers. Even when it's not on the car I get nervous going under barriers or into multi-storeys. I usually take it off when we arrive if I can, but it needs a ladder or something else I can stand up on to reach the far side bolts (decking rails can be useful stand on if you can pull the car alongside).

As for the bike rack on the roof - it's a Thule and seems pretty solid, but I'll be taking it handy and checking it at every stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Baybay

Was at a toll booth recently when the only car with a bicycle on the roof decided to go through the only lane under which he could not fit.
    Cant recall now if it was only cash or only card or something but whatever it was for was displayed on a large, low sign over the lane with the info in red graphics.
    The booth attendant ran out waving her arms, shouting & pointing & the driver kept looking around, while driving forward, presumably to see whose attention she was trying to attract!
    The resounding thwang as the bike hit the sign caught his attention well enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I'm back in work today trying to drag myself through it after a thoroughly excellent trip to La Sirene in Argeles sur Mer.

it was our first holiday travelling by air, and its definitely the way we'll be doing it from here on out.

left cork at 6:20am and was poolside with a cocktail by 1. between the 4 of us, we only had one checked in bag, and if anything, it drove home to us how much unnecessary stuff we used to carry when we drove. we were gifted with the weather, from 28 to 30 degrees every day while we were there, just about the upper limit on whats enjoyable imo.

that being said, the presses at home are completely devoid of the annual epic wine haul, so there's always a downside.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

that being said, the presses at home are completely devoid of the annual epic wine haul, so there's always a downside.

A deal breaker for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I'm back in work today trying to drag myself through it after a thoroughly excellent trip to La Sirene in Argeles sur Mer.

it was our first holiday travelling by air, and its definitely the way we'll be doing it from here on out.

left cork at 6:20am and was poolside with a cocktail by 1. between the 4 of us, we only had one checked in bag, and if anything, it drove home to us how much unnecessary stuff we used to carry when we drove. we were gifted with the weather, from 28 to 30 degrees every day while we were there, just about the upper limit on whats enjoyable imo.

Swap a few of the minor details around and I'm pretty much in the same boat.

I wonder is there a service to get bottles (crates??) of wine shipped home from France?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Peckham

Currently enjoying a G&T on the terrace outside the mobile on Le Bois Masson in Saint Jean de Monts before firing up the BBQ. Best part of the day!

So far has been chilly mornings followed by glorious evenings. Will take it happily!

Salut!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Glad to hear you had a great time SD4E.

This year or next may well be the last year we do the whole National Lampoon's trek by ferry and road to SW France with roof box and bikes etc in tow. We started these holidays in 2008 when the kids were 7 and 3 and bar an ill fated "staycation" in 2010 we've been doing them ever since but next year I'll have 17 and 13 year olds and I'm not sure it'll cut the mustard for them any longer.

If it doesn't I'm hoping we can keep the campsite vibe going but fly out to either Italy or Croatia but the likelihood is a more traditional apartment in a complex in Spain or Portugal may be an itch the kids and wife want to scratch which will be grand too.

Like you we also like to make the most of the opportunity to bring home some nice wine (just finishing off the final few bottles from last year at the moment actually) and we REALLY make the most of having our own bikes with us as we (wife and I) like to go for big long spins circa 7am - 10am each morning when the kids are still fast asleep but life doesn't stand still so we have to adapt and move on. It's all part of the adventure!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭micks_address

Glad to hear you had a great time SD4E.

This year or next may well be the last year we do the whole National Lampoon's trek by ferry and road to SW France with roof box and bikes etc in tow. We started these holidays in 2008 when the kids were 7 and 3 and bar an ill fated "staycation" in 2010 we've been doing them ever since but next year I'll have 17 and 13 year olds and I'm not sure it'll cut the mustard for them any longer.

If it doesn't I'm hoping we can keep the campsite vibe going but fly out to either Italy or Croatia but the likelihood is a more traditional apartment in a complex in Spain or Portugal may be an itch the kids and wife want to scratch which will be grand too.

Like you we also like to make the most of the opportunity to bring home some nice wine (just finishing off the final few bottles from last year at the moment actually) and we REALLY make the most of having our own bikes with us as we (wife and I) like to go for big long spins circa 7am - 10am each morning when the kids are still fast asleep but life doesn't stand still so we have to adapt and move on. It's all part of the adventure!!

Hi folks,
    Quick question... Do the mobiles in euro camp (espirit domaine des ormes) have essentials like cups plates and cereal bowls?
    Cheers,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Hi folks,
    Quick question... Do the mobiles in euro camp (espirit domaine des ormes) have essentials like cups plates and cereal bowls?
    Cheers,
    Mick

Haven't been to that campsite but I've never seen a mobile home without the basics, usually 6 plates cups Glasses bowls and silverware

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭blackeyedpeat

Hi folks,
    Cheers,
    Mick

Should be well equipped with most things.

It is highly unlikely you will have a decent sharpe knife, mugs, or tea pot. The tin opener, corkscrew/bottle opener, fish slice are often sub standard.
    We normally buy a couple of "souvenir mugs" over there and anything else in the supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,945 ✭✭✭✭josip

Ranleth wrote: »
    Any idea of how cold/hot it may be in the tent this time of year? We can always wear extra clothes and there seems to be a few Decathalon shops around too which are great for outdoor gear.

It's been 12/13 degrees last night and tonight just south of Lourdes, 400m above sea level.
    Very comfortable with Vango -4 sleeping bags and air beds.
    No fleecy blankets needed on top of the airbeds unlike last year in Switzerland when it was 8 degrees.
    12 degrees is the coldest night temp I've ever experienced in France in July/August.
    Much prefer 12 degrees to 2 years ago when it didn't drop below 29 at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

josip wrote: »
    It's been 12/13 degrees last night and tonight just south of Lourdes, 400m above sea level.
    Very comfortable with Vango -4 sleeping bags and air beds.
    No fleecy blankets needed on top of the airbeds unlike last year in Switzerland when it was 8 degrees.
    12 degrees is the coldest night temp I've ever experienced in France in July/August.
    Much prefer 12 degrees to 2 years ago when it didn't drop below 29 at night.

In the Loire valley right now. Today was lovely and it is beginning to get really hot, expecting 30+ degrees every day up to the weekend. Evenings are beautiful, staying under canvas won't be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Did this myself 3 weeks ago. No brainer if youre planning a few excursions further afield from the campsite. I wonder how many physically measure how high theyre travelling beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

For those that bring home wine from France

3l 5l 10l wine cartons are a good option.

Most vineyards will bottle wine as well as sell in cartons

The cheaper ones are usually not great , but its not unusual in France to buy good quality wine in a carton from the local wine shop, cave, co-op etc

Cartons : lighter to transport , wine keeps longer when opened , and in theory more cartons will fit in car boot

k123456 wrote: »
    For those that bring home wine from France

The cheaper ones are usually not great , but its not unusual in France to buy good quality wine in a carton from the local wine shop, cave, co-op etc

Cartons : lighter to transport , wine keeps longer when opened , and in theory more cartons will fit in car boot
    Thanks any suggestions for where to stock up on the way back to cherbourg?

• Advertisement

Hi folks,
    Looks like there's two culletons in Wexford?

This one is closest to the boat? Hoping to hit around six for dinner.

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g2098776-d3969530-Reviews-Culletons-Kilrane_Rosslare_Harbour_County_Wexford.html

Also any suggestions for a fill of diesel near to the port?
    Thanks,
    Mick

I recommend Auchan on the way into Cherbourg. Better than Carrefour and a lot better than the booze cruise places like Normandie Wine Warehouse.

Huge wine dept. and always have offers. Everything available in boxes of 6. Very helpful manager and staff. Big car park for loading and 2k downhill to the port.

I

k123456 wrote:
    Definitely go for the better stuff if buying cartons and drink it in a week max.
    k123456 wrote:
    Be careful it has the seal showing French tax paid or you could be hit at Rosslare.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerd4

Currently sitting on the deck having coffee. Still not 100% certain bout the atlantic side of France. We did the south of france 3 years running and the weather is almost guaranteed. On the atlantic side its extremely variable to say the least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

Yeah seems to be very month-dependent.

Couple of years ago up in Carnac, we had torrential downpours and thunderstorms for 7 of the 14 days.

The two times we've gone to the Vendee in July it's been unbearably hot.

Cant recommend anywhere specific , but of course Supermarkets a good bet
    or
    most towns will have 2 or 3 wine shops in France "cave"
    or in a wine producing area you may see larger wine co-ops : vignerons

In Caves or vignerons wine can be tasted

Bubbly good value : champers , blanquette limoux sparkling wine etc,
    Vin Doux , nice after dinner drink

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerd4

Any other spots for wine near cherbourg? Got plenty of time to kill before the boat so dont mind within 30 miles of the port if needed.
    Last year we travelled back on a sunday so normandie wines was the only option. Even the supermarkets were closed. However id like to find a cave were wine can be tasted before buying.
    The wife loves sauvignon blanc and rose but it would be a shame not to open her mind and try others

mikerd4 wrote: »
    Any other spots for wine near cherbourg? Got plenty of time to kill before the boat so dont mind within 30 miles of the port if needed.
    Last year we travelled back on a sunday so normandie wines was the only option. Even the supermarkets were closed. However id like to find a cave were wine can be tasted before buying.
    The wife loves sauvignon blanc and rose but it would be a shame not to open her mind and try others

Good point re Sunday, most places will be closed , I think Super U and Carrefour open (limited hours)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Another point regarding wine is that many of the supermarkets will stock more regionally produced wine. If you're after, say, a sparkling red, then Leclercs in Saumur will defo have it but stores 50km away are unlikely to stock it. The best place for choosing say a Bordeaux will be closer to Bordeaux and for a Burgundy, go to Burgundy.
    The supermarkets near the ferry will tend to have a limited choice.
    I'll be getting mine before I pack and head for the ferry!

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote:
    Another point regarding wine is that many of the supermarkets will stock more regionally produced wine. If you're after, say, a sparkling red, then Leclercs in Saumur will defo have it but stores 50km away are unlikely to stock it. The best place for choosing say a Bordeaux will be closer to Bordeaux and for a Burgundy, go to Burgundy. The supermarkets near the ferry will tend to have a limited choice. I'll be getting mine before I pack and head for the ferry!

Of course it is better (and more inreresting) to buy close to the source but there is nothing limited about the range available in Auchan in Cherbourg.

Advertisement