Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

if departing from Roscoff there are two very good wine stores near the ferry that will be open. The one with the red double decker bus outside the front is particularly good and the people working in it are really nice and helpful and always have great advice as to what to buy. You can also sample most of the wine they sell and we have taken back some seriously great wine from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

BailMeOut wrote:
    if departing from Roscoff there are two very good wine stores near the ferry that will be open. The one with the red double decker bus outside the front is particularly good and the people working in it are really nice and helpful and always have great advice as to what to buy. You can also sample most of the wine they sell and we have taken back some seriously great wine from here.

Do you ever see any French people buying in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

First Up wrote: »

no, but then again, why would a french person need to fill his boot and backseat to bursting with wine when its available on every street?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Of course it is better (and more inreresting) to buy close to the source but there is nothing limited about the range available in Auchan in Cherbourg.
    and they have a reasonable range of Belgian beers too !

no, but then again, why would a french person need to fill his boot and backseat to bursting with wine when its available on every street?

Are you suggesting that the French inhabitants of the Roscoff area don't buy wine?

• Advertisement

Are you suggesting that the French inhabitants of the Roscoff area don't buy wine?

no, I'm just suggesting that your slightly condescending attitude to the stores mentioned is probably unwarranted. They're by and large fine and carry a wide variety of wines from around the region as well as selections of new world wine. You wont be getting the best of prices for sure, but as a last stop before the boat you could do far worse.

And besides that, how would you identify the french people in the shop? by the stripey jumper, beret and string of onions around their necks?

If they do I am certain they would purposely avoid this place when I am there 1-2 hours before the ferry departs as it gets quite busy.

Speaking of Roscoff the little town itself is lovely and everything is open at 7am on Sunday morning when you arrive in from Cork. Well worth the very short detour when you exit the ferry as everything else in France is closed that hour of the morning.

no, I'm just suggesting that your slightly condescending attitude to the stores mentioned is probably unwarranted. They're by and large fine and carry a wide variety of wines from around the region as well as selections of new world wine. You wont be getting the best of prices for sure, but as a last stop before the boat you could do far worse.

And besides that, how would you identify the french people in the shop? by the stripey jumper, beret and string of onions around their necks?

The ones speaking French?

Sorry if it comes across as condescending; its just that I would prefer to buy where the locals do, on the basis that they tend to know better. Hats off to the red bus people;they came up with a simple marketing gimmick that lures in the booze cruise lot. You will do better in any of the French supermarkets in Morlaix which is ten minutes away. That's where the French buy.

The ones speaking French?

Sorry if it comes across as condescending; its just that I would prefer to buy where the locals do, on the basis that they tend to know better. Hats off to the red bus people;they came up with a simple marketing gimmick that lures in the booze cruise lot. You will do better in any of the French supermarkets in Morlaix which is ten minutes away. That's where the French buy.

assuming they are open. Supermarkets close quite early on Saturday evening so do not bet on them being open when you get to Roscoff. I am also not convinced the average French person buys good wine and have never been impressed with the selection in SuperU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭webpal

Hi folks,
    Looks like there's two culletons in Wexford?

This one is closest to the boat? Hoping to hit around six for dinner.

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g2098776-d3969530-Reviews-Culletons-Kilrane_Rosslare_Harbour_County_Wexford.html

Also any suggestions for a fill of diesel near to the port?
    Thanks,
    Mick

Assuming you are heading south on N25, you could take a left at whitford roundabout and go down to Tesco or at the last roundabout (rosslare road) take a left, there's an applegreen about 1km in. Both are usually the cheapest around.

• Advertisement

BailMeOut wrote: »
    assuming they are open. Supermarkets close quite early on Saturday evening so do not bet on them being open when you get to Roscoff. I am also not convinced the average French person buys good wine and have never been impressed with the selection in SuperU.

Of course it makes sense to check opening hours. I was caught out once with a Sunday sailing. Roscoff isn't as well served as Cherbourg but you are sure to be passing some places en route from wherever you are.

I have bought in Roscoff - there used to be a nice place at the Port called Roscoff Wine Seller but they are closed now. If I had to buy in Roscoff nowadays I'd prefer the (French owned) Wine Centre which is also close to the ferry. At least you hear French spoken (even by customers).

Id say its more likely that the discerning wine drinker in france would go to a cave to buy their wine rather than the supermarket stuff.

In Argeles Sur Mer, theres a fantastic wine co-op in the middle of the town that has all the local wines. you can bring your own empty bottle and they'll fill it from one of the massive barrels behind them. Some of the best wine I've ever had, and they place was constantly thronged with locals.

https://www.tripadvisor.fr/Attraction_Review-g196598-d6982454-Reviews-Les_Vignerons_D_Argeles_Sur_Mer-Argeles_sur_Mer_Pyrenees_Orientales_Occitanie.html

Id say its more likely that the discerning wine drinker in france would go to a cave to buy their wine rather than the supermarket stuff.

In Argeles Sur Mer, theres a fantastic wine co-op in the middle of the town that has all the local wines. you can bring your own empty bottle and they'll fill it from one of the massive barrels behind them. Some of the best wine I've ever had, and they place was constantly thronged with locals.

https://www.tripadvisor.fr/Attraction_Review-g196598-d6982454-Reviews-Les_Vignerons_D_Argeles_Sur_Mer-Argeles_sur_Mer_Pyrenees_Orientales_Occitanie.html

Looks nice but I wouldn't fancy the long drive home from there with a full load!

Caves are great but tend to be very regional. I was in a lovely one on the Loire estuary recently but it was all Muscadet, Sancerre and Vouvray and a bit of Pouilly Fumé if you asked nicely. I like to bring back a range from the different regions and the bigger shops are better for that.

After years of this I've focused (in Cherbourg) on Auchan as I've just found they tick all the boxes. I've got to know them and they are really good to deal with.

excuse my ignorance but what do you all mean by a 'cave' when talking about wine?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

After years of this I've focused (in Cherbourg) on Auchan as I've just found they tick all the boxes. I've got to know them and they are really good to deal with.

I'm with you on the merits of The Wine Centre in Roscoff. The owner Solenne is so easy to deal with and really knows her stuff. She enquires what you like, what you're price range is and she makes recommendations. We've never had a bum steer from her and she takes orders in advance so I've already reserved a few boxes of
    Crémant de Bourgogne and Vin de Pays des Côteaux du Verdon for the trip home.

BTW, how does Auchan in general compare to SuperU, Intermarché and the the other big box supermarkets in France? I'm off to La Reserve and there's an Auchan about 50 minutes away which I'd be happy to take a spin to some day if there was a good reason to. Is there anything in particular they do well?

BailMeOut wrote:
    excuse my ignorance but what do you all mean by a 'cave' when talking about wine?

Underground cellars where wine is stored to mature.

BTW, how does Auchan in general compare to SuperU, Intermarché and the the other big box supermarkets in France? I'm off to La Reserve and there's an Auchan about 50 minutes away which I'd be happy to take a spin to some day if there was a good reason to. Is there anything in particular they do well?

I couldn't say with certainty that Auchan in general are better than anyone else. I'm talking specifically about the choices in/around Cherbourg.

I've checked out a good few of the different shops around Normandy - Caen, Bayeux, Rouen, Ouistreham, Cabourg - and around the Deauville/Trouville and Honfleur areas. So far I've just found that Auchan shop to be the best for range, offers etc. and very convenient for the ferry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

webpal wrote: »
    Assuming you are heading south on N25, you could take a left at whitford roundabout and go down to Tesco or at the last roundabout (rosslare road) take a left, there's an applegreen about 1km in. Both are usually the cheapest around.

Don't do this if you are pushed for time! They are pipe laying and traffic around there is unpredictable at the moment. Just a word of warning, you're probably grand a 10-15 minute detour, but not if you're up to 90 worried you'll make the boat! Not the cheapest but there are other garages on the way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVB_1LyZTTc

local wine shop, often in a cellar

degustation = tasting , sampling

v similar to vignerons ;
    http://www.vigneronsdemaury.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭micks_address

Poochie05 wrote: »
    Don't do this if you are pushed for time! They are pipe laying and traffic around there is unpredictable at the moment. Just a word of warning, you're probably grand a 10-15 minute detour, but not if you're up to 90 worried you'll make the boat! Not the cheapest but there are other garages on the way down.
    Thanks stopped in gorey for diesel and then Ashford hotel for a coffee.. We just ate in culletons so bags of time. Great food. Thanks for recommendation. There was an accident on roundabout coming into Rosslare looked nasty.. We got through it quick enough but I'd imagine delays there. Lovely evening so should make for a smooth sailing. Just killing time now till heading toward the boat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

Thanks stopped in gorey for diesel and then Ashford hotel for a coffee.. We just ate in culletons so bags of time. Great food. Thanks for recommendation. There was an accident on roundabout coming into Rosslare looked nasty.. We got through it quick enough but I'd imagine delays there. Lovely evening so should make for a smooth sailing. Just killing time now till heading toward the boat

Yeah Id say that car was heading for the ferry as well. Was packed to the rafters with a roof box. Hope they are alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Bon voyage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

k123456 wrote: »
    Good point re Sunday, most places will be closed , I think Super U and Carrefour open (limited hours)

Hours are 9.30 to 12.30 on a Sunday nearest to our campsite. Think they are standard for all stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 B_Rubble

Dear all, Just wondering the best route to take from roscoff to vendee and where to stop on way. I realise there are suggestions but the post are quite old now and would be very grateful for more recent experiences.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Any train experts here? Want to travel into Paris for day trip with the kids. We are just southwest of Orleans. Problem is there are 5 of us and trains from Orleans at times that allow time to explore the city are around €200 return. My thought is to travel closer by car, considering Etampes or Angerville but cannot get times or prices on SNCF website. Open to suggestions. Car parking also a consideration.

Only options are tomorrow or Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi folks,
    Quick question. Any have and recommendations for somewhere to eat close to cherbourg? We probably want to eat by the time we get off the boat. Even a quick McDonald's probably refuel us for the drive to des ormes...
    Thanks,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Juggler101

Hi folks,
    Quick question. Any have and recommendations for somewhere to eat close to cherbourg? We probably want to eat by the time we get off the boat. Even a quick McDonald's probably refuel us for the drive to des ormes...
    Thanks,
    Mick

I can't answer your question fully, but just to let you know that McDonald's France has a really good website. Put in your desired location and it will give you a list of closest ones as well as their facilities - and a lot of French McDonald's have great kids play areas, so it's worthwhile finding one like that if you have younger children!

We stopped at a really good service area near Mont St Michel as we wanted to get moving when we left Cherbourg, so that might be another option for you (that trip was 3 years ago now though, so the details are a little fuzzy I'm afraid...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

On google maps there is an MCD about 1km outside the port...

Exact address is 101 Avenue Carnot, 50100 Cherbourg-en-Cotentin, France

See https://www.restaurants.mcdonalds.fr/

Hi folks, Quick question. Any have and recommendations for somewhere to eat close to cherbourg? We probably want to eat by the time we get off the boat. Even a quick McDonald's probably refuel us for the drive to des ormes... Thanks, Mick

If you drive through the town of Cherbourg ( don't take the by-pass) there's a McDonalds on the left -almost opposite Carrefour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dizzyn

Hi folks,
    Thanks,
    Mick

We always stop at the Auchan thats been mentioned here a few times. They do really good fresh pizzas and you can get sandwiches etc too!! we also pick up a few snacky bits for the car, like drinks/water.

Advertisement