Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Some good looking 50% off last minute deals available on http://www.siblu.ie for anyone who hasn't booked anything yet or has already had a holiday and would like another cheeky one before the summer is over ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

It's false advertisement by siblu.
    The full price for next year is not even the 100% according to that.

Siblu are offering 1300 for two weeks next year in july

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

B_Rubble wrote: »
    Dear all, Just wondering the best route to take from roscoff to vendee and where to stop on way. I realise there are suggestions but the post are quite old now and would be very grateful for more recent experiences.:)

we always head down through Brittany via Quimper, Lorient, Vannes, St Nazaire and Nantes.

Quimper and Nantes are excellent stopping points if looking for interesting towns. Lorient for the WW2 U-boat Pens is also a good stop on the way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭webpal

Anyone recommend a good way of a good data package in France? I'm not worried about calls or text. Best I've seen is 8gb for €10 plus sim from SFR. I've currently got an allowance of 5gb but would hate to go over.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

webpal wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a good way of a good data package in France? I'm not worried about calls or text. Best I've seen is 8gb for €10 plus sim from SFR. I've currently got an allowance of 5gb but would hate to go over.

Get a PAYG sim card from Vodafone IRL and top it up with €20 and you'll have 5gb of data aswell. Plus you get to use any unused data when you get home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

All the best for anybody travelling this weekend, we're flying out to Nice tomorrow for 11 nights in La Baume. Bon Voyage!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

B_Rubble wrote: »
    Dear all, Just wondering the best route to take from roscoff to vendee and where to stop on way. I realise there are suggestions but the post are quite old now and would be very grateful for more recent experiences.:)

It's only four hours down the road....if you are going Brittany ferries the boat gets in at like 7am so nothing is open also. In theory you could be there before lunch. There will hardly be any traffic on the road so if I were you just drive on and just stop at a service station for 10 15 mins.

Even when we had babies that's what we did they will be tired so will sleep most of the way. But if you want to waste time go down the coast road I suppose.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭murt101

So the Tour de France is in the Dordogne Tues/Wed... has anyone been to see some of the race before? Is there any website where we could find a list of places to view it from? Don't want to stay all day, kids could probably last 30mins or so! But I'd like to see the irish competitors seeing as we're so close.

I would download any movies before you go and then 5gb would be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

murt101 wrote:
    So the Tour de France is in the Dordogne Tues/Wed... has anyone been to see some of the race before? Is there any website where we could find a list of places to view it from? Don't want to stay all day, kids could probably last 30mins or so! But I'd like to see the irish competitors seeing as we're so close.

You can find route maps on the Tour website but be warned, you have to be in position well in advance and you might have to park miles away so it can be a long day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Baybay

murt101 wrote: »

Local roads in the area may close quite early in the morning, depending on what time the race passes.
    Last year, the village where I went to see it pass through, had its access cut from about 10.30 am. The cavalcade, which passed about an hour before the main race had loads of sponsored vehicles for all sorts of different products & items were thrown for onlookers. Small toys, soft drinks, water, sausage(!), baseball caps etc. Kept the children (of all ages!) entertained. The race itself passed it about a minute, just after lunchtime & roads began to open again almost immediately. It was a small rural village so perhaps bigger towns may take longer to get themselves operational again.

Hi all, anyone know what the price of diesel in the Super U, Intermarche non motorway supermarket forecourts? Just wondering whether it's worthwhile arriving in Roscoff and then filling up for the journey ahead or whether I should just fill up close to Rosslare and be ready to go off the boat.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭Icsics

Hi all, anyone know what the price of diesel in the Super U, Intermarche non motorway supermarket forecourts? Just wondering whether it's worthwhile arriving in Roscoff and then filling up for the journey ahead or whether I should just fill up close to Rosslare and be ready to go off the boat.

Cheers.

€1.13 at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerd4

Ive seen diesel from 1.11 to 1.35 on the motorway. The excellium super diesel is something like 1.45 if you want an expensive tank of juice....

Your going to have to fill at some point and prices arent that bad given some people told.me diesel was way pricier here

I would download any movies before you go and then 5gb would be ok.

It's more for live tv that I need it. We'll be over there for both all Ireland hurling semis and just on the off chance we can't make it to a pub. I would need about 1-1.5 gb per hour. I'll top up before I go, that'll give me 5 and if the SFR sim doesn't work out, I can always top up to give me another 5. Just back from Thurles, still buzzin, let's hope I can shout on the deise in France.

It's more for live tv that I need it. We'll be over there for both all Ireland hurling semis and just on the off chance we can't make it to a pub. I would need about 1-1.5 gb per hour. I'll top up before I go, that'll give me 5 and if the SFR sim doesn't work out, I can always top up to give me another 5. Just back from Thurles, still buzzin, let's hope I can shout on the deise in France.

I never had any success getting live streaming to work on a French Mobile network. I was roaming which may mean I was limited to 3G so you might have better luck with a French 4G sim but make sure you're in a strong signal area.

I usually end up buying the campsite WiFi and I've had some luck streaming on that.

Hopefully deise will play wexford. We want the deise.

Had streaming working on the Wi-Fi in les charmettes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Hurling is still a great mix this year. Pity Limerick didn't get further... I'd like to see Waterford or Wexford get their turn this year now. But more importantly I'll use the campsite wifi to watch the new series of Game of Thrones. Going out on Monday and up to my neck in packing and loading up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

juneg wrote: »
    Hurling is still a great mix this year. Pity Limerick didn't get further... I'd like to see Waterford or Wexford get their turn this year now. But more importantly I'll use the campsite wifi to watch the new series of Game of Thrones. Going out on Monday and up to my neck in packing and loading up now.

Was in France few years ago and playing round on the pitch with my girls playing camogie. French man came over and introduced himself. Lives west France but his kids are in a GAA league with 14 teams, their team had no Irish players at all. He was admiring the camogie and explained they had all the hurling equipment but parents and kids decided it was way too dangerous to play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Peckham

Mobile reception pretty rubbish where I am, but surprisingly managed to stream most of the Lions match yesterday while poolside.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi folks,
    Getting on great in des ormes and having mighty weather. Went to Mount St Michel today.. Pretty amazing. Weather looks bit cooler for the week ahead but not much rain. Quick question on shopping centres in the area or on the drive back to cherbourg. Son is mad to get a sports shop to buy a French Jersey or some sports gear.. Where would be best bet? We have plenty of time Friday on trip back to cherbourg so could hit somewhere on the road.
    Thanks,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭yellow76

Hi folks,
    Getting on great in des ormes and having mighty weather. Went to Mount St Michel today.. Pretty amazing. Weather looks bit cooler for the week ahead but not much rain. Quick question on shopping centres in the area or on the drive back to cherbourg. Son is mad to get a sports shop to buy a French Jersey or some sports gear.. Where would be best bet? We have plenty of time Friday on trip back to cherbourg so could hit somewhere on the road.
    Thanks,
    Mick

Decathlon stores are terrific for sports gear. Check out if there is one near you

Hi folks,
    Thanks,
    Mick
    You could try Intersport too. If there's none near you, there is one on the way into Cherbourg

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

There is a big decathlon store on the way into san malo on the left.

gerfmurphy wrote: »
    There is a big decathlon store on the way into san malo on the left.

In the decathlon one... Doesn't look like they do soccer Jerseys? Great store for everything else though. Thanks for recommending

In the decathlon one... Doesn't look like they do soccer Jerseys? Great store for everything else though. Thanks for recommending

Found an intersport in malo so sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I usually end up buying the campsite WiFi

yikes - where are you staying that is charging for Wifi?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

BailMeOut wrote: »
    yikes - where are you staying that is charging for Wifi?

Any camp Ive ever been to has been pay wifi in any areas outside of maybe the main bar or reception.

• Advertisement

Any camp Ive ever been to has been pay wifi in any areas outside of maybe the main bar or reception.

Yep des ormes has free WiFi in bar area but you have to pay for cabin access.. Something like 20 euro for a week. Almost did but have spotty 3g coverage that does while in the cabin and it's much better around the towns etc

Advertisement