Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    we stayed at La Sirene in 2008. It was very good then and has a major refurb with water parks etc since then so can only imagine its far better

The town is very close, maybe even 1-1.5km but the road is windy and some dodgy bends and don't recall a footpath so we always drove

Parked in the main car park on the beach

Plenty restaurants there, ice creams, beach, some play areas to kill an evening

Another recommendation but would need to be booked early

theres a free network of these yolks if you were intending on trying to go without a car, but they do cover a lot of ground and can be quite slow

https://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g196598-d1958245-i32838853-Le_Mediterranee_Argeles-Argeles_sur_Mer_Pyrenees_Orientales_Occitanie.html

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Claroc

Thinking ahead to next year and looking up diffferent camp sites, has anyone booked with 'Yelloh! Villages' and the campsite 'camping la pomme de pin' in Vendee? it looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Claroc wrote: »
    Thinking ahead to next year and looking up diffferent camp sites, has anyone booked with 'Yelloh! Villages' and the campsite 'camping la pomme de pin' in Vendee? it looks great.

I've stayed at 2 yelloh sites now.
    They are Dutch owned, and are fantastic.
    Extremely well run, clean and top facilities.
    Staff were very friendly and helpful.
    I'd definitely be choosing then again as sometimes independent sites can be hit and miss...actually, even some of the other chains can be too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Also thinking about next time round.
    We tend to do 2 Sites per Holiday. Want to go back to St. Avit Loisirs in the Dordogne but also looking at Cote d'Argent at Hourtin Plage for the 2nd Site.

Anyone been to Cote d'Argent ?
    Anyone know what the Eurocamp Avant Pitches are like?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭nellie07

Hi all,

So we went on our first holiday to France with Brittany Ferries in June and we really enjoyed it, we only went as far as Benodet which is just 1.5 hours from Roscoff and we are already planning ahead to next year and thinking of going further south

This year we were in Parc De Plaisssance a nice site and our accommodation with Benodet Breaks was 100%. Our children will be 3.5 and 5 next summer

Im wondering what your opinions on Eurocamp vs, Yelloh vs Kelair are etc.

Any recommendations welcome. thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

Hi all,

So we went on our first holiday to France with Brittany Ferries in June and we really enjoyed it, we only went as far as Benodet which is just 1.5 hours from Roscoff and we are already planning ahead to next year and thinking of going further south

This year we were in Parc De Plaisssance a nice site and our accommodation with Benodet Breaks was 100%. Our children will be 3.5 and 5 next summer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Can anyone explain what the craic is with large fields full of white caravans and (mostly) white Ford Transit type vans beside them? When we stayed in St Jean de Mont for 3 years there were a couple of fields in the middle of nowhere a few miles out of the town which were jammed with caravans and white vans. I'm talking about 200-300 caravans all in a single field like there was a festival going on or something but there's no sign of anything like that and these fields don't seem to have any water or toilet facilities so they don't appear to be official Aires of any sort.

I always thought they were some sort of club getting together from time to time but now I see similar situations further south and I'm wondering are they groups of gypsies/travellers using a network of locations but they appear from zero and disappear back to empty fields within a few days so I don't think they are either official or unofficial halting sites and they do appear to be recreational rather than permanent with no signs of any sort of commercial activity etc. It's literally a huge field full of 200-300 white vans and caravans with no campervans or tents etc and a few days later they are gone.

Not sure why I'm so curious about it but I am :o I must have too much time on my hands!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

Just back from Les Sablons in Portiragnes near Beziers on the Med. We are already in the process of booking again as I haven't heard of anything to beat it yet. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

nellie07 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Cool we're heading there in 4.5weeks time!! Cannot wait- 2 kids with us, 5yr old and 9yr old. Any tips?? close to the beach?We booked via Yelloh direct. It's our first camping type holiday-we had to book the boat from Cherbourg so we have a good bit of a drive from there so hopefully we're all still talking to each other after the boat/car journey :P

saggycaggy wrote: »
    Cool we're heading there in 4.5weeks time!! Cannot wait- 2 kids with us, 5yr old and 9yr old. Any tips?? close to the beach?We booked via Yelloh direct. It's our first camping type holiday-we had to book the boat from Cherbourg so we have a good bit of a drive from there so hopefully we're all still talking to each other after the boat/car journey :P

Hey there feel free to PM me any questions or ask away here! It was our first trip so I was like you had a MILLION questions!

The beaches are a short drive away, Benodet is beautiful not much to do there but a gorgeous beach and a fab restaurant called San Soucci over looking it. Really nice!

We were there a bit early and there were not too many activities at night or entertainment which we were dissapointed with but we were only home when we saw all the activities had started in July so you will be fine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

Great stuff, i'll drop you a PM over the coming days! I appreciate that. Some of the reviews on Trip Advisor have been very mixed lately so it's good to hear positive feedback.

Can anyone explain what the craic is with large fields full of white caravans and (mostly) white Ford Transit type vans beside them? When we stayed in St Jean de Mont for 3 years there were a couple of fields in the middle of nowhere a few miles out of the town which were jammed with caravans and white vans. I'm talking about 200-300 caravans all in a single field like there was a festival going on or something but there's no sign of anything like that and these fields don't seem to have any water or toilet facilities so they don't appear to be official Aires of any sort.

I always thought they were some sort of club getting together from time to time but now I see similar situations further south and I'm wondering are they groups of gypsies/travellers using a network of locations but they appear from zero and disappear back to empty fields within a few days so I don't think they are either official or unofficial halting sites and they do appear to be recreational rather than permanent with no signs of any sort of commercial activity etc. It's literally a huge field full of 200-300 white vans and caravans with no campervans or tents etc and a few days later they are gone.

Not sure why I'm so curious about it but I am :o I must have too much time on my hands!!

we came across one of them last year, I highly doubt they're gypsies or travellers, mainly because they left the whole place immaculate afterwards and also had a few vans with washing machines etc in them for people to use. My guess is that they're probably some sort of caravaning or mobile home club.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Peckham

Can anyone advise on what kids film is currently in the cinema on Oscar Wilde. Trying to schedule activities for our return journey tomorrow. It was Boss Baby on our outward journey on June 30, but wondering whether it has changed since.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Always wanted to ask that question, but kept forgetting :)

Anatom wrote: »
    Just back from Les Sablons in Portiragnes near Beziers on the Med. We are already in the process of booking again as I haven't heard of anything to beat it yet. Any ideas?

HI,

What are the kid clubs like there and any evening activites for a 4 & 6 year old?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,945 ✭✭✭✭josip

Would love to know this also.
    We saw two this year, one near La Tranche Sur Mer and one somewhere else the day after, so not the same group, but both setups very similar to what the op described.
    I got the feeling they were a type of gypsy/traveller, but the pervasiveness of Ford Transits gave me the impression of UK/Irish traveller.
    I've heard that extended families of travellers decamp to Europe for the summer. The whiteness of vans/caravans would be essential in a European summer with no shade.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Oh I like the look of La Sirene. What is it like. We have kids 4 & 6, so kids clubs and activities outside the camp? Is there a zoo close by or a village for food etc ?

Agree totally with SD 4ever regarding la sirene. Back since end of June and will book for nx year. Returning for 3rd time and we just love the p!ace. We've done a fair few sites in France but this is the best by far. We go with friends and all agree to return .It just ticks all our boxes.

HI,

What are the kid clubs like there and any evening activites for a 4 & 6 year old?

Thanks

Their foam party is one of the best I've seen.
    It gets pumped from above and grows to a height of a few metres.
    Would probably be a bit intimidating for 4/6 years though

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭murt101

Peckham wrote: »
    Can anyone advise on what kids film is currently in the cinema on Oscar Wilde. Trying to schedule activities for our return journey tomorrow. It was Boss Baby on our outward journey on June 30, but wondering whether it has changed since.

It was Boss Baby, Lego Batman movie and Baywatch yesterday, I don't recall the other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Peckham

murt101 wrote:
    It was Boss Baby, Lego Batman movie and Baywatch yesterday, I don't recall the other options.

Thanks. Same as outward journey then. There goes cinema plans!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerd4

Well we arrived home today, already turning our attention to next year.  Not sure Id hit the Atlantic coast of France again.  The weather is far too hit and miss, I dont mind bad days but if I want lots of rain I can stay in Ireland and get it for free.

Toying with one last France trip this time back to the Med side but nearer Perpignan or maybe even Italy.

We will definately be returning to Bordeaux and Il De Re as both were highlights but as a long weekend type break.

Also want to do a tour of WW2 sites in Normandy in the near future for a few days.

The Oscar Wilde was fairly busy, but can anyone tell me why they switch all the toilets off nearly 2 hours before they enter port? It was fairly grim like the end of a wkd festival portaloos.  Extremely unhygienic.....

Also have a song that was being played on repeat around the pool in La Reserve that Im trying to track down.  I shazamed it but for some reason shazam didnt store it........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

mikerd4 wrote: »
    Also have a song that was being played on repeat around the pool in La Reserve that Im trying to track down.  I shazamed it but for some reason shazam didnt store it........

In La Reserve since Saturday. Haven't been to the pool yet as we prefer the beach at the lake but will no doubt spend a couple of afternoons there so will keep an ear out for the song. Do you know was it a French or English type song?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerd4

French song, hard to explain, mainly music with a small amount of lyrics. Searching French music vids on youtube with no luck.  I have the tune in my head big time.

They seem to have the same playlist on repeat and if I recall it was a few songs before Amy Winehouse Back to black.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

The 4 main french songs on repeat on French radio when I was there:
    Sur la plage...Coco Caline
    Moi Aimer Toi....Vianney
    Chocolat.....LArtiste
    Nation....Tbiz

Agree totally with SD 4ever regarding la sirene. Back since end of June and will book for nx year. Returning for 3rd time and we just love the p!ace. We've done a fair few sites in France but this is the best by far. We go with friends and all agree to return .It just ticks all our boxes.
    ##

I sent an email to La Sirene for a rough idea about prices for first 2 weeks of July. For a 3 bed mobile with aircon, it came in at 3297€.

Seems very high compare to other campsites?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Le Littoral is another one to consider. Colleague of mine just back and has gone 2yrs in a row now and gives it a great recommendation

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

##

I sent an email to La Sirene for a rough idea about prices for first 2 weeks of July. For a 3 bed mobile with aircon, it came in at 3297€.

VERY PRICEY

We just had 2 weeks in Camping Bella Italia for €1700. First 2 weeks of Jun so I know a big price hike compared to July but that's a lot

We had the top spec Avant with Eurocamp

##

well above the odds, I just did a check on lifestyle holidays, and from sunday 1st july to sunday 15th july is coming in at €2001

all the mobiles have aircon anyway.

La sirene does look great but not accessible from Roscoff for me boo!

• Advertisement

nellie07 wrote: »
    La sirene does look great but not accessible from Roscoff for me boo!

It's just a straight run down and across.

Advertisement