Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭nellie07

josip wrote: »
    It's just a straight run down and across.

an 11 hour drive according to google maps is that correct?

also loved La baume La palmarie but thats 12 hours drive from roscoff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

HI,

What are the kid clubs like there and any evening activites for a 4 & 6 year old?

Thanks

The kids clubs are brilliant - especially for that age group. There are clubs in the morning and again in the afternoon and you can drop them in for either or both any day you're there. The ones run by the campsite are usually full of French kids but they really do try to use English when they have any Irish / English kids there. Eurocamp also have good camps and they're typically where my kids went - run by English and the odd Irish staff members. They definitely keep them occupied and my two loved them when they went (they're too old now and prefer to stay in the pool or hang out in the playgrounds with their friends).

In the evening there's a kids disco at 9.00pm which is immediately followed by the evening's entertainment for the adults (which can be anything from a magician to a hypnotist to karaoke to some really good (and some not so good) musical acts. There's something for everyone and there's a pretty full crowd there most nights. It all ends at around midnight so there's no issue with noise across the campsite at all.

I'd highly recommend it. We're only home since last weekend and have booked for next year already.

Their foam party is one of the best I've seen.
    It gets pumped from above and grows to a height of a few metres.
    Would probably be a bit intimidating for 4/6 years though

This is the only thing I would stay away from, especially with young kids of that age. Even my 12-year old wasn't comfortable going anywhere near it this year (although we'd been out for dinner in the village so missed the early part of it when you might have had the younger kids in there). Its definitely for the older teenage kids. Also, a few years ago I saw a young girl get a nasty cut on her foot from where someone had dropped a bottle or glass on the ground. Because of the foam no one could have seen it. Mind you, I didn't hear of anything like that happening last year or this year while we were there.

That said, if there aren't too many older kids moshing around in there, the novelty of getting covered in the foam was something many of the young ones really enjoyed!

nellie07 wrote: »
    La sirene does look great but not accessible from Roscoff for me boo!

It'd be as cheap to fly to Perpignan / Toulouse / Carcasonne / Girona and hire a car as it would be to take the ferry and drive down with the tolls / fuel / overnight costs. You wouldn't be spending four days out of your holidays driving in the car. That's worth quite a bit of money to me on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Anatom wrote: »
    It'd be as cheap to fly to Perpignan / Toulouse / Carcasonne / Girona and hire a car as it would be to take the ferry and drive down with the tolls / fuel / overnight costs. You wouldn't be spending four days out of your holidays driving in the car. That's worth quite a bit of money to me on its own.

we flew this year, having done it by ferry last year. Its a no brainer, easily €1000 cheaper for us at least.

• Advertisement

we flew this year, having done it by ferry last year. Its a no brainer, easily €1000 cheaper for us at least.

I'd well believe it. Our car in Toulouse airport this year with Firefly cost just €240 or so (plus the €53 from AIG for the insurance excess) for 17 days. Typically, I'd just need to refuel it on the way back to the airport. Its a no-brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭micks_address

hi folks,
    is it generally safe enough to book accommodation now and worry about transport say in January? thinking of rebooking campsite for next year but would it be ok to book it now and then book either the ferry or flights January? what do people do if sailings or flights don't line up?
    thanks,
    mick

hi folks,
    is it generally safe enough to book accommodation now and worry about transport say in January? thinking of rebooking campsite for next year but would it be ok to book it now and then book either the ferry or flights January? what do people do if sailings or flights don't line up?
    thanks,
    mick

You'll be fine. If you leave it until January to book the campsite you'll have trouble getting a decent one as they're getting booked up already for next summer. Flights will come online only in Jan/Feb and you can juggle things then. It might just be a case of changing to a different airport and given the quality of the road network in France / Spain, it shouldn't be too much hassle.

hi folks,
    thanks,
    mick

Id generally be of the school of getting my accomodation sorted first and foremost. Its very rare in this day and age that you wont be able to get to your destination in time, as long as you're flexible with your departure airport or worst case scenario, connecting flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerd4

jay0109 wrote: »
    The 4 main french songs on repeat on French radio when I was there:
    Sur la plage...Coco Caline
    Moi Aimer Toi....Vianney
    Chocolat.....LArtiste
    Nation....Tbiz

Nope none.of them. Probably a complete oddball tune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Peckham

Buy breakdown insurance!

Currently on an extended holiday, albeit in a Travelodge type motel outside Saint Malo, after car broke down on way to ferry earlier.

After checking out from Des Ormes, went into Dol de Bretagne to stock up on wine and get some lunch.

Happily heading back to car for journey to ferry, only for car not to start. After various panicking moments and trying to find local garages, eventually remembered that we got free breakdown cover as part of our car service last year. Would seriously have never considered purchasing it as car has never given us a single problem, and is only a few years old.

A tough day with a 6 month old, 3 year old and 6 year old, but 6 hours later we're checked into a hotel with car towed off to be assessed. All arranged by the AA.

Ferry rebooked for Friday. Hopefully car will be back to us tomorrow.

A pretty bad day that would have been horrendous without the insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭yellow76

Peckham wrote: »
    Buy breakdown insurance!

Currently on an extended holiday, albeit in a Travelodge type motel outside Saint Malo, after car broke down on way to ferry earlier.

After checking out from Des Ormes, went into Dol de Bretagne to stock up on wine and get some lunch.

Happily heading back to car for journey to ferry, only for car not to start. After various panicking moments and trying to find local garages, eventually remembered that we got free breakdown cover as part of our car service last year. Would seriously have never considered purchasing it as car has never given us a single problem, and is only a few years old.

A tough day with a 6 month old, 3 year old and 6 year old, but 6 hours later we're checked into a hotel with car towed off to be assessed. All arranged by the AA.

Oh that's crap! Nightmare. So glad insurance sorting you out.hope all settles for Friday sailing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Invested in ADAC breakdown cover a few years ago. Never needed it on holiday (used it once in Ireland) but like knowing Europe's biggest "AA" type organisation is just a phone call away. If their resources can't sort a problem and get us home no one can!!

Given your username I hope you're not driving a clapped out yellow Reliant Robin and that you make Fridays ferry ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Buy breakdown insurance!

Sorry to hear your troubles, must be something about Des Ormes! I broke down whilst staying there 2 years ago, thankfully Ford European assist that came with the service saved the day and they had somebody out to me in a couple of hours, only a flat battery luckily for us. Enjoy the extended holiday!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Would love to know this also.
    We saw two this year, one near La Tranche Sur Mer and one somewhere else the day after, so not the same group, but both setups very similar to what the op described.
    I got the feeling they were a type of gypsy/traveller, but the pervasiveness of Ford Transits gave me the impression of UK/Irish traveller.
    I've heard that extended families of travellers decamp to Europe for the summer. The whiteness of vans/caravans would be essential in a European summer with no shade.

They are travellers, just a lot cleaner than Irish travellers. Local authorities are just as annoyed with them as in Ireland.
    https://www.francebleu.fr/infos/societe/la-faute-sur-mer-les-gens-du-voyage-installes-sur-un-terrain-en-zone-inondable-vont-devoir-partir-1499791690

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭kindalen

Came across hundreds of these on the way to Roscoff before, a lot of the transits seemed to have a little cherry picker attached. Do they do landscaping? Are they French or Romany?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Anatom wrote: »

Lots of cheap flights avail to the above airports usually

As well as the costal resorts Argeles, Barcares etc, easy access to the Pyrenees

Perpignan can be more expensive as served by Aer Lingus

Toulouse / Carcasonne / Girona served by Ryanair as is nearby Rodez

if your flight home is from Girona or Carcasonne , each of these cities is beautiful, maybe worth staying a night before flight home

If you do fly to Girona, hire a car and travel to France approx 40 mins away, you need to inform car hire co, that you will use the car in France (insurance implications)

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerd4

Last 2 times i hired a car from nice (diferent companies) the documentation had in big bold writing that the car could be used in all eu member states except under no circumstances was it to be driven into Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

mikerd4 wrote: »
    Last 2 times i hired a car from nice (diferent companies) the documentation had in big bold writing that the car could be used in all eu member states except under no circumstances was it to be driven into Italy.

Cross border travel varies from car hire cos

Some countries are a no no , not sure why, but is important to check with or notify the car hire co. Some impose a reasonable charge , some impose no charge

From Fr to Spain, never an issue or charge. Perhaps its a money spinner for the Spanish hire cos (Goldcar etc)

From Spain to France, sometimes an issue or charge

k123456 wrote: »
    Lots of cheap flights avail to the above airports usually

As well as the costal resorts Argeles, Barcares etc, easy access to the Pyrenees

Perpignan can be more expensive as served by Aer Lingus

Toulouse / Carcasonne / Girona served by Ryanair as is nearby Rodez

if your flight home is from Girona or Carcasonne , each of these cities is beautiful, maybe worth staying a night before flight home

If you do fly to Girona, hire a car and travel to France approx 40 mins away, you need to inform car hire co, that you will use the car in France (insurance implications)
    k123456 wrote: »
    Cross border travel varies from car hire cos

Some countries are a no no , not sure why, but is important to check with or notify the car hire co. Some impose a reasonable charge , some impose no charge

From Fr to Spain, never an issue or charge. Perhaps its a money spinner for the Spanish hire cos (Goldcar etc)

From Spain to France, sometimes an issue or charge

We flew to Barcelona, the flights to Girona didnt suit, and we were still in Argeles in a little under 3 hours, it would have been quicker only there was an accident on the Autoroute.

I can confirm that I had to pay a 70 insurance surcharge for taking the car outside of Spain though.

• Advertisement

Anyone know how early you can board Irish Ferries as a foot passenger? Will ring them myself in the morning, but wondering if anyone here might know.

My saga outlined above continues. Car is being sent back to Ireland in its broken down state, meaning that we travel as foot passengers.

I will be dropping wife and children to ferry before dropping back hire car and then meeting car recovery guy to sort out loading of the car onto ferry.

Obviously easier if they're on board ferry rather than hanging around terminal, but wondering how early they can get on board.

Likely will be dropping them off around 2pm. Is this too early to board?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

I will be dropping wife and children to ferry before dropping back hire car and then meeting car recovery guy to sort out loading of the car onto ferry

Personally I'd never split the family up because of some cheap rental car. I'd be inclined to leave the rental car beside the broken down car, get the recovery guy to bring you, your family and the car to the ferry, leave the keys to the rental car with him and then call the rental company and tell them where to collect their car.

Personally I'd never split the family up because of some cheap rental car. I'd be inclined to leave the rental car beside the broken down car, get the recovery guy to bring you, your family and the car to the ferry, leave the keys to the rental car with him and then call the rental company and tell them where to collect their car.

Not really an option unfortunately. Difficulty is with towing company rather than car rental company. He needs to meet me to arrange car drop at port, but can't take whole family in the truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Recovery truck will not be traveling on ship I assume so give him rental car to drop back once he leaves ye to port.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

Not really an option unfortunately. Difficulty is with towing company rather than car rental company. He needs to meet me to arrange car drop at port, but can't take whole family in the truck.

Do you mind me asking what happened? Mechanical issue?

Am travelling over on an 11 year old MPV in a few weeks and this is my nightmare scenario with 4 children.

ifElseThen wrote:
    Do you mind me asking what happened? Mechanical issue?

ifElseThen wrote:
    Am travelling over on an 11 year old MPV in a few weeks and this is my nightmare scenario with 4 children.

Read back a few posts. Essentially car broke down on way back to ferry, can't be fixed in France in time, so have had to arrange for it to be towed to port (leaving 2 days after intended return), and then picked up in Rosslare by garage. An expensive nightmare (my cover only partly covers the various expenses) with a lot of stress - travelling with a 6 month old, a 3 year old, and a 6 year old.

Buy good breakdown cover!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭judgefoozle

Anyone know what movies are on the rosslare to Cherbourg Irish ferries at the minute?

Anyone know what movies are on the rosslare to Cherbourg Irish ferries at the minute?

Just off the ferry. It was Boss Baby and Lego Batman for the kids. Didn't pay attention to the other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

You got here safely - that's the important thing. Good luck with car repairs now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭nirvana78

Just off the ferry.

I'm really happy too hear that, I have been thinking about your ordeal since you posted earlier in the week. We're not long back from Les Ormes too so I could relate to it slightly.
    Our car trouble started on the ferry when we arrived in Cherbourg!! "First time camper" error, I left the cooler box plugged into the car overnight and it drained the battery. Our keys wouldn't open the door, after numerous attempts to open it we decided we would break the small window by the mirror. When the ferry worker came back with the tools needed, he said we'll try the key once more and I couldn't believe it, it opened.
    We got it charged up just as the cars in front began to drive off the ferry, we never held anyone up. I couldn't believe that either. We drove off the ferry in stunned silence but happily continued on our way.
    I learned my lesson that day but from reading of your experience this week, I will be putting more emphasis on good quality European breakdown cover instead of on the price of it.

Advertisement