Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Forest fires

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭yellow76

Forest fires

Saw that on news. Really unfortunate for you :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

yellow76 wrote: »
    ECO_Mental wrote: »
    It's 15 20 mins walking I suppose but La Playmre is a cycling town. All the cycling paths are segregated (separated from cars) that's the beauty of BAP the cycle path runs past the site, you could cycle to the zoo, the beach, town etc safely especially if you have kids. You can hire bikes there easy, you won't go back to st Jean de monts ever...

It's a siblu campsite and while they are reasonable they do make you clean your wagon before you leave and they are strict with this....Also I have come back to them after a few years with eurocamp and they want a deposit of €350 when I rocked up. Just took down the credit cars number but still. I paid the cleaning fee so they are going to work for it. Although I'm in a really nice wagon now in the Loire dish washer AND washing machine....

Sites in BAP are good they are not jammed in, but we always go for the excellance (why not)

Wow. Huge deposit!! Do you know can you check in on site any day of the week or is it limited to Saturday?

How much is the cleaning fee?

It's about €80, it's one thing about siblu it's the bloody cleaning in the wagon when you going they litterly want it spotless for the next guest not just tidy they will check the oven the new etc etc. I think it's just another way to get a few bucks off you. Saying that if you go three weeks normally they are the cheapest the third week is for free especially in July. They normally have vouchers etc starting in Nov and I have gotten 3 weeks in BAP in July (in an excellance) for around €2000 which is good.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Oh yeah check in anytime in July August they only go sat to sat but we checked in on the Sunday not a probs

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Orchids

It's about €80, it's one thing about siblu it's the bloody cleaning in the wagon when you going they litterly want it spotless for the next guest not just tidy they will check the oven the new etc etc. I think it's just another way to get a few bucks off you. Saying that if you go three weeks normally they are the cheapest the third week is for free especially in July. They normally have vouchers etc starting in Nov and I have gotten 3 weeks in BAP in July (in an excellance) for around €2000 which is good.

I've used Siblu for 6 years and I've never once had anyone come to check the mobile when leaving, I always leave it spotless anyway & to be honest it doesn't take long to clean it when everything has been taken out. Their standard is very high & their mobiles are spotless in my experience, unlike some other grubby suppliers.... Agree on the cheap 3rd week point, plus if you give them a call you can normally get them to knock another few quid off :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerd4

The Siblu van cleaning for us was unnerving and slightly creepy.
    We booked a 8.30 inspection, after being told by others and one of the Siblu staff that its just to make sure its clean and not trashed (there were gangs of kids in vans the first week we were there partying). My wife is a clean freak at the best of times and we kept it spotless but even so come the saturday the experience was enough to put me off using Siblu again.
    The guy arrived early and we had our stuff on the decking for loading into the car. The wife was sweeping and mopping up. The lad told her the mopping needed to be done again and stood watching her mop.
    I was busy loading stuff and we had the rubbish all bagged ready to go. He insisted we go put the rubbish in the bins (at the site the bins are at the entrance) which cos the car was full meant walking across there and then. I think he thought we were going to drive off and leave them. He then wouldnt leave till we had everything, and I mean everything loaded onto the car.
    It was a very strange experience, Im not sure if every site or inspection process is like this but it really freaked the wife out. We have never paid for post use cleans on any rental as we are very clean people and we have never had an issue with the way we have left any van.

I firmly believe its a way for Siblu to try and squeeze the cleaning fee out of customers. Other friends who paid the cleaning fee had simply left the vans in a heap and gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

mikerd4 wrote: »
    We booked a 8.30 inspection, after being told by others and one of the Siblu staff that its just to make sure its clean and not trashed (there were gangs of kids in vans the first week we were there partying). My wife is a clean freak at the best of times and we kept it spotless but even so come the saturday the experience was enough to put me off using Siblu again.
    The guy arrived early and we had our stuff on the decking for loading into the car. The wife was sweeping and mopping up. The lad told her the mopping needed to be done again and stood watching her mop.
    I was busy loading stuff and we had the rubbish all bagged ready to go. He insisted we go put the rubbish in the bins (at the site the bins are at the entrance) which cos the car was full meant walking across there and then. I think he thought we were going to drive off and leave them. He then wouldnt leave till we had everything, and I mean everything loaded onto the car.
    It was a very strange experience, Im not sure if every site or inspection process is like this but it really freaked the wife out. We have never paid for post use cleans on any rental as we are very clean people and we have never had an issue with the way we have left any van.

I firmly believe its a way for Siblu to try and squeeze the cleaning fee out of customers. Other friends who paid the cleaning fee had simply left the vans in a heap and gone.

Was it the "le lac des reves" campsite by any chance?

Nope, La Reserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Peckham

We had no issues with Siblu cleaning. Deposit was simply a scan of our credit card at check-in (nothing was taken off it). On our final morning, the girl arrived slightly early while I was still loading the car. She left and said she'd be back in 15 minutes. She didn't come back, so we went to reception. They told us to head off if we wanted and they'd be in touch if any issues.

She turned up 5 minutes later. A quick look around the mobile home and we were on our way. She didn't even look at the barbecue that I had spent over an hour cleaning!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Lifestyle in Spain last year did a thorough examination and were satisfied.

Al Fresco about 5 years ago in France - the young male 'rep' sat on the deck chatting to my OH and children for about half an hour and then left - without even looking at the mobile which was cleaner on our departure than on our arrival.

• Advertisement

It can unnerving especially if you are down a good bit and have a good drive ahead of you and want to leave early. I mean we are not animals and leave the place in a tip, but they can want it SPOTLESS which I think is unreasonable.

Just checked my booking again and I forgot to tick the damage waver which is only €35 so that's why they wanted the 300. In fairness they only took a credit card number. I suppose siblu do give you owners caravans so they have to be extra careful I have lucked it this year with a dishwasher and wait for it a washing machine......boooom...great site also very private overlooking a lake.

Weather isn't great also this year in the Loire :( first time in 10 years I've had a couple of rainy days and isn't too warm 20-22 deg but overcast

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Jpm123

Has anyone here used Immobilhome les Mathes. They rent out mobiles homes on all the siblu sites in the area. I think a lot of the owners rent through them and get a better deal with them than with siblu

It can unnerving especially if you are down a good bit and have a good drive ahead of you and want to leave early. I mean we are not animals and leave the place in a tip, but they can want it SPOTLESS which I think is unreasonable.

Just checked my booking again and I forgot to tick the damage waver which is only €35 so that's why they wanted the 300. In fairness they only took a credit card number. I suppose siblu do give you owners caravans so they have to be extra careful I have lucked it this year with a dishwasher and wait for it a washing machine......boooom...great site also very private overlooking a lake.

Weather isn't great also this year in the Loire :( first time in 10 years I've had a couple of rainy days and isn't too warm 20-22 deg but overcast

I'm so pathetic but a washing machine in holidays would make me so so Happy :-)

Explain the bit about damage waiver? (Sorry long day and brain off it seems) I only have a debit card (no credit card) so I might have difficulty there

Explain the bit about damage waiver? (Sorry long day and brain off it seems) I only have a debit card (no credit card) so I might have difficulty there

Pay €35 and you dont have to pay the 300 security deposit. I think it's then only €80 and I think then that 80 is a cleaning deposit so of you pay the 60 I think for the cleaning you won't have to pay that also. The damage waver is for breaking glasses etc.

This is the first year we have ever got a washing machine and a dishwaster, luxury. It's the simple things, what we have done before is buy plastic plates from Carrefour etc for a couple of euros. You would be surprised the amount of washing up that saves. You know lunch sandwich breakfast people are always eating on holidays and it's great to just gather up the plates and booom in the bin, clean up done.....

Pay €35 and you dont have to pay the 300 security deposit. I think it's then only €80 and I think then that 80 is a cleaning deposit so of you pay the 60 I think for the cleaning you won't have to pay that also. The damage waver is for breaking glasses etc.

This is the first year we have ever got a washing machine and a dishwaster, luxury. It's the simple things, what we have done before is buy plastic plates from Carrefour etc for a couple of euros. You would be surprised the amount of washing up that saves. You know lunch sandwich breakfast people are always eating on holidays and it's great to just gather up the plates and booom in the bin, clean up done.....

Ah that's handy re damage waiver.
    I don't mind washing up to much but to be able to wash clothes on tap would be great!!

Still debating between BAP and Charmettes.
    We aren't into cycling majorly

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭murt101

Has any campsite/company got more spacious mobiles? I like the look of Eurocamps Aspect, and had a look around one before leaving St Avit and it was very roomy. I've just priced it and it's nearly double the 3bed Vista we had this year (similar dates).
    What else is available that doesn't require a sideways shuffle to get around the bed or through the doors?! 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Peckham wrote: »
    Read back a few posts. Essentially car broke down on way back to ferry, can't be fixed in France in time, so have had to arrange for it to be towed to port (leaving 2 days after intended return), and then picked up in Rosslare by garage. An expensive nightmare (my cover only partly covers the various expenses) with a lot of stress - travelling with a 6 month old, a 3 year old, and a 6 year old.

Buy good breakdown cover!

I really feel your pain! We only started going to campsites when our oldest was mid teens and we have been away at campsites 4 times now. We have had car issues on 2 of our 4 holidays abroad and had a significant breakdown one year in Clare (costing over €4k).

One of the years in france we couldnt get the car to start at a Decathlon outlet at 5pm and poor language skills / poor mechanical skills / lack of breakdown cover were really shown up. I was eventually helped by a young lad who drove me aroud town at breakneck speed and eventually found another friend of his who was a mecanic and they conjured up some spray that got us going again. All in all the problems took about a day and a half out of the holiday and we were just there for 7 days.

As an aside the campsite we were at rarely has any Irish there but is an absolutely class place. restaurant top notch ad very well run.

http://www.coin-tranquille.com/

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Hotel_Review-g4115296-d5043082-Reviews-Le_Coin_Tranquille-Les_Abrets_Isere_Auvergne_Rhone_Alpes.html

Ah that's handy re damage waiver.
    I don't mind washing up to much but to be able to wash clothes on tap would be great!!

Still debating between BAP and Charmettes.
    We aren't into cycling majorly

I don't cycle from one French holiday to the next but love it when I'm here, and BAP is a safer and closer to town. Les Charmettes is further out from town and on a bit of a pull up from the town you will also have to cross a couple of roads , nothing major, but it's not like I'll just pop in town to get a baguette

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

dixiefly wrote: »
    I really feel your pain! We only started going to campsites when our oldest was mid teens and we have been away at campsites 4 times now. We have had car issues on 2 of our 4 holidays abroad and had a significant breakdown one year in Clare (costing over €4k).

One of the years in france we couldnt get the car to start at a Decathlon outlet at 5pm and poor language skills / poor mechanical skills / lack of breakdown cover were really shown up. I was eventually helped by a young lad who drove me aroud town at breakneck speed and eventually found another friend of his who was a mecanic and they conjured up some spray that got us going again. All in all the problems took about a day and a half out of the holiday and we were just there for 7 days.

As an aside the campsite we were at rarely has any Irish there but is an absolutely class place. restaurant top notch ad very well run.

http://www.coin-tranquille.com/

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Hotel_Review-g4115296-d5043082-Reviews-Le_Coin_Tranquille-Les_Abrets_Isere_Auvergne_Rhone_Alpes.html

You've been very unlucky.
    We've been 14years and never a hiccup, we do always take out eu breakdown cover, which includes caravan recovery as we bring it with us. Herself is fluent French speaking too which is handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Looking for some advice. Spent a few years in Clarys Plage near St Jean de Monts and ready to move further south next yr so looking for some recommendations. Kids are young and not very adverturous. they love a playground and a few slides into pool. kids club not important. We have to travel mid June. I think about 6 hrs drive would be the max (not including stops)

Thinking of Le Littoral, Les Charmettes or Bonne anse plage.

Any thoughts on any of these would be appreciated.

I can vouch for Le Littoral, beautiful place. We've been maybe 4 times over the years and never disappointed.
    Sequoia Parc is also really good.

Still debating heading to Italy next year or giving France one last go.  We were a little disappointed by the weather on the West Coast, something we havent thought about in the South of France before as it has guaranteed sunshine.  Its a pure gamble I guess on the West coast.
    Is there an Italy version of this thread?

Has anyone been to any sites near Perpignan/Beziers/Montpellier?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Not been to any sites, but I know the Perps area well
    Lots of towns on the coast with camp sites and huge beaches : Barcares, Argeles , St Cyprien, etc.  
    As well as the beaches  you also have the Pyrenees and Spain very near.  Lots to do and see in the area : 
    eg : collioure : http://www.ledepartement66.fr/1404-la-webcam-de-collioure.htm ;
    https://www.google.com/search?q=le+petit+jaune+train&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjktPyet6vVAhVMEbwKHTELCxAQsAQIQg&biw=1920&bih=950

Its gets very busy in July and Aug and hot (perhaps too hot)

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭redmissb

Still debating heading to Italy next year or giving France one last go.  We were a little disappointed by the weather on the West Coast, something we havent thought about in the South of France before as it has guaranteed sunshine.  Its a pure gamble I guess on the West coast.
    Is there an Italy version of this thread?

Has anyone been to any sites near Perpignan/Beziers/Montpellier?

Same here, we've done 7 holidays to France on the ferry and debating whether to book Italy for next year. Looking at Marina di Venezia..good deals at the moment with allcamps.ie and go4camp..worried I'll miss France though!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

redmissb wrote:
    Same here, we've done 7 holidays to France on the ferry and debating whether to book Italy for next year. Looking at Marina di Venezia..good deals at the moment with allcamps.ie and go4camp..worried I'll miss France though!

Would you drive or fly?

Funnily enough marina de venezia is the one i was looking at.
    Italy is a touch too far to drive imho. Its not impossible but i did nice last year and thats as far as i think to make it still enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

heading to France tomorrow and realize my breakdown coverage does not cover me outside Ireland. Anyone know of a cheap option I can sign up for tonight that will cover me for breakdown over next two weeks?

I used roadrescue.ie. was 67e for the coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

BailMeOut wrote: »
    heading to France tomorrow and realize my breakdown coverage does not cover me outside Ireland. Anyone know of a cheap option I can sign up for tonight that will cover me for breakdown over next two weeks?

if you're travelling with Irish Ferries, just add it to your booking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

We had a great 2 weeks in les ormes this year. First ferry and campsite holiday. Loved it.
    Only issue was first week was poor weather.
    We are thinking next year of head further south for first week to 10 days and return to les ormes for final 10 days.
    Les ormes is easy return to the boat @ 2hours roughly and we liked the area and towns close by.
    We are looking at clary plage or maybe les charmettes or BAP
    Kids will be 7,4 and 2 at that stage.
    We are considering private rental or siblu as well.
    Driving time will be 5 hours tops and we would like a beach close.
    Will be going last week in june.
    Any recommadation?
    TIA

Advertisement