Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerd4

Maybe the break down cover is on the initial booking page but i couldnt find it anywhere when i went looking for it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,945 ✭✭✭✭josip

mikerd4 wrote: »
    Still debating heading to Italy next year or giving France one last go.  We were a little disappointed by the weather on the West Coast, something we havent thought about in the South of France before as it has guaranteed sunshine.  Its a pure gamble I guess on the West coast.
    Is there an Italy version of this thread?

Has anyone been to any sites near Perpignan/Beziers/Montpellier?

Camped in Les Sablons, Cape D'Agde 2 years. Good. Have 2 other friends who've also been there and were happy.

Lido di Jesolo near Venezia is another option, usually large scale and some are very high quality.

Sea in both places is adjacent, big waves in Les Sablons, calmer at Lido.

Both drivable but IMO only an enjoyable trip if done leisurely, rather than cannonball run style.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Thanks for the tips earlier on the thread. We had a great sailing and had a great trip in Domaine Des Ormes.

While I'd recommend the place, for next year I was looking for more guaranteed sunshine. I've seen a few people comment about La Sirene on the south of France? Did anybody sail/drive or fly?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭yellow76

_Brian wrote: »
    I can vouch for Le Littoral, beautiful place. We've been maybe 4 times over the years and never disappointed.
    Sequoia Parc is also really good.

Who do you book Le Littoral with Brian?

Heard stories of mosquitos In Sequoia park. Any experience? Would be a huge turn off for me as they seem to love me, the buggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,935 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Maybe the break down cover is on the initial booking page but i couldnt find it anywhere when i went looking for it

I added it the night before we travelled - it's under "extras" or "insurance" or something along those lines. It worked out cheaper than taking out a year's cover elsewhere (we won't be back on the continent before next summer and the car insurance covers Ireland and UK).

• Advertisement

josip wrote: »
    Camped in Les Sablons, Cape D'Agde 2 years. Good. Have 2 other friends who've also been there and were happy.

Lido di Jesolo near Venezia is another option, usually large scale and some are very high quality.

Sea in both places is adjacent, big waves in Les Sablons, calmer at Lido.

Both drivable but IMO only an enjoyable trip if done leisurely, rather than cannonball run style.

Les Sablons looks excellent. Ive stayed in a privately/family owned site 3 times and they tend to be excellent. They have to work harder than the big chains and trade on reputation moreso

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭newspower

Thanks for the tips earlier on the thread. We had a great sailing and had a great trip in Domaine Des Ormes.

While I'd recommend the place, for next year I was looking for more guaranteed sunshine. I've seen a few people comment about La Sirene on the south of France? Did anybody sail/drive or fly?

I did France and felt the same as it rained for ten of the 14 days. After that we went to Italy for five years in a row staying in Camping sites in Lake Garda and Lake Trasimino. Flew to Milan and rented a car for two weeks and it was working out the same as the ferry for us but found the Left hand drive car was a benefit too as less tendency to drive on the wrong side. Thought it was easier to get distracted in your own Right hand drive in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭redmissb

First Up wrote: »
    Would you drive or fly?

Fly. The only way we'd drive is if we could go for three weeks. It's too much of a distance for a two week holiday I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

Still debating heading to Italy next year or giving France one last go.  We were a little disappointed by the weather on the West Coast, something we havent thought about in the South of France before as it has guaranteed sunshine.  Its a pure gamble I guess on the West coast.
    Is there an Italy version of this thread?

Has anyone been to any sites near Perpignan/Beziers/Montpellier?

We have been in that area many times over the years, our favourite site is http://www.alohacamping.com/fr/index.html hope to go back next summer.

We were at "les sablons" found it to be congested, big site, a lot of the pitches are very tight, good location, beach only a few minutes walk.

One campsite that I would never recommend is Siblu "Le lac des reves" Montpellier, site was like a retirement home (believe most if not all the mobiles are privately owned, rented out by siblu when not been used by the owners). No atmosphere, staff were obnoxious and indifferent. On the plus side the mobile was the biggest, best specced we've ever stayed in.

Another yelloh village site we stayed in (when Aloha was booked out) is
    https://www.leserignanplage.com/en/ It is a big site but didn't feel too crowded, good atmosphere etc right next to a great beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

newspower wrote: »
    I did France and felt the same as it rained for ten of the 14 days. After that we went to Italy for five years in a row staying in Camping sites in Lake Garda and Lake Trasimino. Flew to Milan and rented a car for two weeks and it was working out the same as the ferry for us but found the Left hand drive car was a benefit too as less tendency to drive on the wrong side. Thought it was easier to get distracted in your own Right hand drive in France.

Just back last week from 3 weeks in France very lucky with weather. First week in Croix de Vieux Pont had one realy, good bad thunderstorm one evening only lasted two hours other than that very sunny.

Second week in a lovely small campsite in Brehemont in the Loire Camping Loire et Chaux weather was a cooler bit overcast some days but very pleasant and stayed dry except for one thunderstorm during the night. Really happy I brought all our bikes with us. Was lovely cycling to the castles will hopefully go back some year and do some of the route as a family cycle touring holiday.

3 days then in Domaine de Ormes on way back to ferry. Weather only ok bad downpour on last afternoon. Kids loved the site personally found it a little busy preferred Croix de Pont little quieter and pitches were more private. Had a mobile there though. Stayed in the basic Eurocamp tent in de Ormes was a step down from previous two sites! I found it fine but wife likes her creature comforts. I can live fine using the communal showers and toilets but having a sink and fridge in your accommodation is very handy. We did have running water in it though during the downpour one afternoon. Water started running in under the side door that faced up hill. Door was being pushed in by the wind over the ground sheet and water was running down the hill we were the first pitch. Lucky we we home when it happened or we'd have had a river running through the tent and two bags of clothes soaked. Pinned out the door and had to sacrifice our towels to barricade the water.

Already planning for next year. Probably going to go further thinking Spain around Girona or maybe Lake Garda. Probably will camp for some of it so will need to bring a lot more gear. Will need a dog guard to load the boot to the roof and probably a roof box too. Still brought more than we needed this time more than half our clothes were never worn.

First time driving to France found the driving on the right absolutely fine. Was worried going over, had only cycled on the other side a few times no problem but was worried how it would be in a left hand drive car. Great being able to bring so much with you(and bring wine and beer back :D )

Had a cooler bag from decathlon was very handy few ice packs and froze a litre of milk and water, milk was still cold and water half frozen when we got to the campsite after 2 days travelling. Will bring some meat with us next year I'd say, beef was poor and pretty expensive even chicken was dearer and was a bit tough. Toulouse sausages are lovely though!

• Advertisement

Thanks for that skibum, like I said we arent sure yet what we are going to do but might give France one last shot and drive again.

So in order you reckon
    Aloha
    Serignan Plage
    Les Sablons

Also any tips on the accomodation in any of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

skibum wrote: »
    We have been in that area many times over the years, our favourite site is http://www.alohacamping.com/fr/index.html hope to go back next summer.

We were at "les sablons" found it to be congested, big site, a lot of the pitches are very tight, good location, beach only a few minutes walk.

One campsite that I would never recommend is Siblu "Le lac des reves" Montpellier, site was like a retirement home (believe most if not all the mobiles are privately owned, rented out by siblu when not been used by the owners). No atmosphere, staff were obnoxious and indifferent. On the plus side the mobile was the biggest, best specced we've ever stayed in.

Another yelloh village site we stayed in (when Aloha was booked out) is
    https://www.leserignanplage.com/en/ It is a big site but didn't feel too crowded, good atmosphere etc right next to a great beach.
    We were in Camping de la Yole last year, at Valras Plage, near Bezier. Was very enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Ryath wrote: »

Already planning for next year. Probably going to go further thinking Spain around Girona or maybe Lake Garda. Probably will camp for some of it so will need to bring a lot more gear. Will need a dog guard to load the boot to the roof and probably a roof box too. Still brought more than we needed this time more than half our clothes were never worn.

If going to Girona, Bordeaux is a great spot to stop overnight, it's a proper old money city
    Me and Mrs C went camping at Lake Garda with our own tent, mrs C as a bit put put by camping until a few germans with 7 series and yachts on the towbar, rocked up beside us and pitched their own dome tents
    Have a cooler bag from decathlon was very handy few ice packs and froze a litre of milk and water and milk was still cold and water half frozen when we got to the campsite after 2 days travelling. Will bring some meat with us next year I'd say, beef was poor and pretty expensive even chicken was dearer and was a bit tough. Toulouse sausages are lovely though!
    I'm fairly cavalier about refrigerating dairy or cured meat, but I wouldn't bring raw beef or chicken, it'd almost definitely turn. Seafood pork or veal are better choices for meat, or cheese and eggs for protein in France

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

newspower wrote: »

Will bring some meat with us next year I'd say, beef was poor and pretty expensive even chicken was dearer and was a bit tough. Toulouse sausages are lovely though!

Never found this, absolutely had a fantastic steak tonight from the local supermarket. What I found out is that they have deals on what's in season or what they have in stock that day.

For example I rocked up to day to my local SuperU yesterday and they had a pile of pork could not find a decent steak. BUT today OMG I got these rib-eye steaks for €10 ( enough to feed 4)

Two days ago I remember it was all hams, so yeah you might love a steak today but the pork chop they have in the fridge today will be a lot better value and taste better so you have to adjust. Don't go into a French market with an idea I want to cook this, go in and see what's on offer and work around that..

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cedar5

Looking for recommendations for campsites in south of france spain or Italy.
    We have done Bella Italia, Cambrils and Villanova.We are a family of 7 (children from 15 years to 9) some campsites will only allow 6 per mobile so its difficult to get accomodation. Good football /kids clubs, night entertainment and pools are what we are looking for and not to have to hire a car if possible.
    Has anyone any experience of any of the following and how they compare to Bella Italia
    Le Soleil France
    Le Sirene France
    Castell Montgri Spain
    Elfin Verde Spain
    Marina Di vensia Italy
    Camping fabulous Rome
    Union Lido Italy
    Or any other recommendations?
    Many thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Juggler101

Talk of Siblu sites and Bonne Anse Plage has got me googling and wondering... I can't find any mention of pitch prices on their website, do they take caravans and the like, or is it just their own mobiles for hire?

I also can't find a set price per week, like you would usually see on a campsite website...

• Registered Users Posts: 37 helqui

Anyone know when the 2018 schedules/prices for IF/stena/brittany go live?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭yellow76

helqui wrote: »

Stena and Brittany live already. IF were Aug last yr. No sign yet

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭blackeyedpeat

Jpm123 wrote: »
    Has anyone here used Immobilhome les Mathes. They rent out mobiles homes on all the siblu sites in the area. I think a lot of the owners rent through them and get a better deal with them than with siblu

I have just come back from Bonne Anse Plage. First time in a Siblu site. We used Immobilhome for the first time. At lunchtime we went to the camp collected our pre ordered wrist bands and emptied the car/bike at the mobile Then collected the keys from the Immobilhome office at 4pm. A quick inspection at 9 on the day of departure and deposit returned in full. The only thing that caught me out was the 500 security deposit. They don't take cards and I had no cheque book with me like most of the french did. So I had to pay in cash. We got a nice 3 bed (5-10 year old) mobile with an oven, washing machine and 5 bikes.
    The things that struck me about the Siblu/Bonne Anse Plage were
    Pitches quite close together although we had a good pitch with plenty of midday evening sun on the deck.
    I think most are privately owned so the mobiles are a bit older/tired than some of the camps we have been to. I knew I was getting an older home than we would normally get and hence the cheaper price.
    We had no problems dealing with immomobilhome siblu on site.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 helqui

yellow76 wrote: »
    helqui wrote: »

Stena and Brittany live already. IF were Aug last yr. No sign yet
    Thanks Yellow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

Les Sablons looks excellent.

I'm just back from our seventh trip to Les Sablons and we've already booked for next year. In fact, most of the Irish people we've become friendly with down there had already booked for next year too. Its that popular, you really have to book in advance (that, and the fact you get a serious discount for booking early).

Its absolutely brilliant. I've passed the Aloha campsite nearby a couple of times but it just doesn't compare. Les Sablons has its own entrance onto the beach (and the waves aren't anything like you'd get over here. Tiddlers really), which stretches for miles in either direction so there's loads of room. The pool complex is large, with two decent sized pools (they put a dedicated swimming lane in one of them most days so you can get your lengths in if that's what you want) and a kiddie pool for the smallies. There are also a couple of slides to keep the older ones (and some of the adults) happy too.

Just about ten feet away is the "adult" 18s and older pool with a lazy river and jacuzzi pools and sun loungers. This is where you go to get a quiet hour on your own, leaving the kids with the other half, and vice versa. Its only about two years old so its still new.

There is (fairly) decent entertainment every night after the kids' disco and a well-stocked shop, boulangerie and newsagent onsite as well. there are eurocamp and campsite kids' clubs every day, as well as tennis, boules courts, archery (the lad who organises that is hilarious with his rolled cigarettes and a feather in his cap). You can also hire bikes from the eurocamp office or from a privately-owned place just outside the campsite. You're also practically in Portiragnes Plage village, with a load of restaurants etc. on hand. The Canal du Midi is just up the road and you can hire boats or go horseriding. For the Big Shop, there's a decent Carrefour about fifteen minutes drive away, and another, larger one over in Serignan about ten minutes after that. Beziers is only a short drive and is lovely to walk around and I usually catch a stage of the Tour de France (not this year though) somewhere within an hour's drive of the place.

We fly down - we've used Toulouse, Rodez, Perpignan or Carcassone - but you can also fly to Beziers airport which is just ten minutes drive from the campsite entrance. The problem with that is that there are no direct flights from Ireland - you need to go via Bristol.

I couldn't recommend it highly enough. I'll be going back again until someone in my family can guarantee me a better experience elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭happydays5

Wondering if anyone has been to camping la sirene in Angeles - we- want to watch gaa match at the weekend and wondering are any pubs showing rte over there? Any particular recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Juggler101

Hi blackeyedpeat, did you see tents/caravans/campervans at BAP? I can't see pitches for rent on their website, but it's unusual to have a campsite without people 'camping'!
    I have just come back from Bonne Anse Plage. First time in a Siblu site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭boccy23

Anatom wrote: »
    I'm just back from our seventh trip to Les Sablons and we've already booked for next year. In fact, most of the Irish people we've become friendly with down there had already booked for next year too. Its that popular, you really have to book in advance (that, and the fact you get a serious discount for booking early).

Its absolutely brilliant. I've passed the Aloha campsite nearby a couple of times but it just doesn't compare. Les Sablons has its own entrance onto the beach (and the waves aren't anything like you'd get over here. Tiddlers really), which stretches for miles in either direction so there's loads of room. The pool complex is large, with two decent sized pools (they put a dedicated swimming lane in one of them most days so you can get your lengths in if that's what you want) and a kiddie pool for the smallies. There are also a couple of slides to keep the older ones (and some of the adults) happy too.

Just about ten feet away is the "adult" 18s and older pool with a lazy river and jacuzzi pools and sun loungers. This is where you go to get a quiet hour on your own, leaving the kids with the other half, and vice versa. Its only about two years old so its still new.

There is (fairly) decent entertainment every night after the kids' disco and a well-stocked shop, boulangerie and newsagent onsite as well. there are eurocamp and campsite kids' clubs every day, as well as tennis, boules courts, archery (the lad who organises that is hilarious with his rolled cigarettes and a feather in his cap). You can also hire bikes from the eurocamp office or from a privately-owned place just outside the campsite. You're also practically in Portiragnes Plage village, with a load of restaurants etc. on hand. The Canal du Midi is just up the road and you can hire boats or go horseriding. For the Big Shop, there's a decent Carrefour about fifteen minutes drive away, and another, larger one over in Serignan about ten minutes after that. Beziers is only a short drive and is lovely to walk around and I usually catch a stage of the Tour de France (not this year though) somewhere within an hour's drive of the place.

We fly down - we've used Toulouse, Rodez, Perpignan or Carcassone - but you can also fly to Beziers airport which is just ten minutes drive from the campsite entrance. The problem with that is that there are no direct flights from Ireland - you need to go via Bristol.

I couldn't recommend it highly enough. I'll be going back again until someone in my family can guarantee me a better experience elsewhere.

This really looks excellent. Has anyone been around the June weekend? My family doesn't like the 30°C+ of high summer and I was looking at going a little earlier when temperatures might be more suitable. Is the water warm enough around then to swim in?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭blackeyedpeat

No I didn't see any tents or vacant sites so I don't think they do tent pitches any more. Also I only saw one small communal toilet/shower block on the site.

boccy23 wrote: »
    This really looks excellent. Has anyone been around the June weekend? My family doesn't like the 30°C+ of high summer and I was looking at going a little earlier when temperatures might be more suitable. Is the water warm enough around then to swim in?

The first year we went was the last week in June/first week in July and there were a few showers etc. but its as if someone flicks a switch on the first weekend of July and the heat gets turned up, so we're definitely July people. (I wouldn't even consider going further north in June for that reason alone.)

If you don't like the 30+ degree heat then don't go at that time (although, because you're beside the sea there's no humidity to worry about so it doesn't feel that hot) in July. We have friends who were there earlier in June and loved it, so I'd say you'd be alright.

Yes, the sea is fine to swim in. Compared to the Atlantic waters around here, its like a bath!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,945 ✭✭✭✭josip

cedar5 wrote: »
    Looking for recommendations for campsites in south of france spain or Italy.
    We have done Bella Italia, Cambrils and Villanova.We are a family of 7 (children from 15 years to 9) some campsites will only allow 6 per mobile so its difficult to get accomodation. Good football /kids clubs, night entertainment and pools are what we are looking for and not to have to hire a car if possible.
    Has anyone any experience of any of the following and how they compare to Bella Italia
    Le Soleil France
    Le Sirene France
    Castell Montgri Spain
    Elfin Verde Spain
    Marina Di vensia Italy
    Camping fabulous Rome
    Union Lido Italy
    Or any other recommendations?
    Many thanks in advance

Can't offer much advice about the onsite mobiles, we usually pitch our own tent for 4/5 of us. Kids ranging in age from 17-5 over the years.

We were in Bella Italia a couple of years ago and the only 2 downsides I found there were the pool was very crowded and the lake wasn't really fit to swim in at the time we were there.

We tried to get into Union Lido this year, but they'd only take a week minimum so we stayed in Pra D'Elle Torri. A very large site with over 1000 sites. It has it's own golf course if that's of interest.
    http://www.pradelletorri.it/en/
    The sea and pool choices there were very good. The nearest restaurant was on the beach and was fine for us. The site is so big however, that bikes are advantageous for getting around. And bike hire I think was €10 a day.
    We've previously stayed a little further south on the Lido, in Dei Fiori. This site is smaller, but a higher standard. The pool area is a bit smaller. Dei Fiori is very good if you want to go for a day trip to Venice by ferry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Anatom wrote: »

Who did you book through?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

was getting very worried after first few days here as weather was pretty crap but looking a lot better now.

• Advertisement

Who did you book through?

Thanks

Through eurocamp in Cork. They seem to be very helpful and I've never had any problems with them at all. We do know people who also went through Roan or directly through the campsite itself (although they told me when I went into the office on-site that they wouldn't be taking bookings until the autumn).

Advertisement