Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

mikerd4 wrote: »
    I got the email last night from Irish Ferries offering the discount for loyal customers to book for next year, it seems everyone is a loyal customer now haha

The prices are definately up on last year again although it is understandable and to be expected.

Pity the new boat and its timetables arent to be released till mid October, its still listed as the Oscar Wilde and the Epsilon.

We found it cheaper to fly for the 4 of us than use the boat, also meant 1.5 days extra there as no car time

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerd4

Last year the price diference was marginal between flying and renting a car or taking the car on the ferry. We also took a longer break stopping off on the way to and from the campsite.  
    Id definately fly and drive, but I would miss the wine doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

mikerd4 wrote: »
    I got the email last night from Irish Ferries offering the discount for loyal customers to book for next year, it seems everyone is a loyal customer now haha

The prices are definately up on last year again although it is understandable and to be expected.

Pity the new boat and its timetables arent to be released till mid October, its still listed as the Oscar Wilde and the Epsilon.

We found it cheaper to fly for the 4 of us than use the boat, also meant 1.5 days extra there as no car time
    Nah, car every time.  No airport hassle, no baggage restrictions, independence when you get there and a nice cargo of wine and other goodies to bring back as souvenirs!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

First Up wrote: »
    Nah, car every time. No airport hassle, no baggage restrictions, independence when you get there and a nice cargo of wine and other goodies to bring back as souvenirs!

I agree. I've just booked the ferry for next August 2018.
    Two adults and a child, travelling by motorhome, 2 star cabins each way, 558 euro.

Left it late booking for this current year, and only the most expensive cabins were left, (who needs cabins costing far more than the actual price of the sailing?) so heading to Waterford next week instead.

Great to have it booked and something to look forward to. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

One thing, I have considered is, I could drive the car down on my own and let the wife and kids fly in and meet me there. I think I'd enjoy the leisurely drive down through France with only myself to entertain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Quazzie wrote: »
    One thing, I have considered is, I could drive the car down on my own and let the wife and kids fly in and meet me there. I think I'd enjoy the leisurely drive down through France with only myself to entertain.

Sounds like heaven tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 13,945 ✭✭✭✭josip

You'd need to have a full repertoire of mental driving games to drive all the way south in France on the motorway eg.
    • Note the last time you saw an Irish car, then UK car.
    • Count the number of foreign made French cars
    • Drive the speed limit and compare the number of foreign cars versus French cars overtaking you
    • Estimate the number of French cars going slower than 100km/h on the motorway
    • Count the number of French cars who speed up and overtake you after you overtake them
    • Bonus points for spotting 2CVs, Renault 4, DS21s, Renault 5 Turbo or 205 1.9 GTI, etc

josip wrote:
    You'd need to have a full repertoire of mental driving games to drive all the way south in France on the motorway

Easy. Detour to see interesting places that would bore the kids, polish your French listening to radio, stop when you feel like it. Maybe all the way to the south would be a trudge but a day's driving in France holds no fears for me.

Easy. Detour to see interesting places that would bore the kids, polish your French listening to radio, stop when you feel like it. Maybe all the way to the south would be a trudge but a day's driving in France holds no fears for me.

your favourite albums, podcasts etc,stops when YOU want them would all make the drive effortless.

I could drive to the ends of the earth blissfully with only myself to answer to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

your favourite albums, podcasts etc,stops when YOU want them would all make the drive effortless.

I could drive to the ends of the earth blissfully with only myself to answer to.

First thing I usually buy is the little yellow book listing all the markets and brocantes.

I'd aim to hit a few on the way :D

• Advertisement

Without someone riding shotgun, how would ye manage the 2-phase overtake on single lane roads?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Jpm123

Can you use the discount code with the Tesco boost tokens on Irish ferries

josip wrote: »
    Without someone riding shotgun, how would ye manage the 2-phase overtake on single lane roads?
    You wouldn't, but you are usually only on those roads for short spells. In any case, I don't like giving that responsibility to a passenger

You wouldn't, but you are usually only on those roads for short spells. In any case, I don't like giving that responsibility to a passenger

Passenger only has responsibility for 1st Phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Has anyone that has been to La Sirene able to tell me what is the policy on swimwear. Is it speedos only or are short shorts allowed?

Has anyone that has been to La Sirene able to tell me what is the policy on swimwear. Is it speedos only or are short shorts allowed?

I can categorically state that shorts are allowed. I woulnt have seen any water if I had to use the old budgie smugglers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

I can categorically state that shorts are allowed. I woulnt have seen any water if I had to use the old budgie smugglers.
    Thats good to hear, read in a few places they were compulsory.
    My 12 year old (will be 13 when we go next year) would have a meltdown from embarrassment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

My lads insisted this year they wouldn't be getting into the pool (Domaine des Naiades) but when everyone else was wearing 'trunks' (not shorts) they actually forgot all about the problem and wore them all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

That's a bloody brilliant idea... This will be suggested later.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerd4

Has anyone here been to Airotel L’Océan Campsite and Spa? 
    Still not 100% about going back to the west coast again but this site looks fantastic.  Might try Siblu as they were very good, really not sure at the moment

• Advertisement

noelearly wrote: »

That's a bloody brilliant idea... This will be suggested later.
    The only down side I see is that the missus may not be all that keen on having to marshall and manage the kids on her own.  Depends on the age I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭yellow76

When do Siblu prices for next year become available does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭I carried a watermelon

Jpm123 wrote: »
    Can you use the discount code with the Tesco boost tokens on Irish ferries

Anybody know?
    I was only able to use one or the other on the website. I haven't tried ringing them yet.

I'm unsure about booking the ferry now or waiting until October when the new ferry and timetable will be announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

yellow76 wrote: »
    Are you using the code for 15%off? I've booked for way cheaper than last yr.

Code is FC18A

Much appreciated :) booked at a significant discount to this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

If in the St Jean-de-Monts area consider a day trip to Le Puy du Fou. It's about an hour and a half drive, but it's well worth the visit. It's a medieval theme park and I can honestly say that it's the best single attraction I've been to.

Go early!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Pherekydes wrote: »
    If in the St Jean-de-Monts area consider a day trip to Le Puy du Fou. It's about an hour and a half drive, but it's well worth the visit. It's a medieval theme park and I can honestly say that it's the best single attraction I've been to.

Go early!

+ when you get there try plan your day properly. With a well thought out schedule you can maximise the amount of shows you can see and limit the amount of walking you need to do. Their app also really helps plan out the day as it has real time info on the shows and when gates close for them.

..but 100% agree, this place is amazing. If you can get the "emotion" passes they are well worth the upgrade as you can skip queues and get the best seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

some amount of puking on Pont Aven last night!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭yellow76

Oh no! Bad crossing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

yellow76 wrote: »
    Oh no! Bad crossing?
    twas rough enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Nah, car every time.  No airport hassle, no baggage restrictions, independence when you get there and a nice cargo of wine and other goodies to bring back as souvenirs!

We rent a car out so no restrictions. The wine is the only issue but we have enough for another two years.

Airport hassle matches the ferry hassle, queuing to get on and off the boat.

No real weight restrictions for us as only 4 of us, so two big suitcases and we are ok, tennis rackets get brought along. We always rent a mobile home with a washing machine so amount of clothes needed is light.

Advertisement