Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

noelearly wrote: »
    That's a bloody brilliant idea... This will be suggested later.

You would do the drive quicker as only yourself to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭yellow76

Considering changing to Cherbourg - Dublin Instead of Rosscoff - Rosslare.

Any disadvantages to travelling this route on Epsilon?

We live 30 mins from Dublin port so kinda feeling it's a no brainer?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

yellow76 wrote: »
    Considering changing to Cherbourg - Dublin Instead of Rosscoff - Rosslare.

We live 30 mins from Dublin port so kinda feeling it's a no brainer?

Providing you don't mind swapping a 2 hour drive to Rosslare for an extra 6-7 hours on board the ferry!! (Not sure 6-7 hours is the correct estimate but I believe it's something like that)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

yellow76 wrote:

The Epsilon isn't as spacious or comfortable as the OW and the sailing is longer. I'd prefer the Rosslare option.

First Up wrote: »
    Nah, car every time.  No airport hassle, no baggage restrictions, independence when you get there and a nice cargo of wine and other goodies to bring back as souvenirs!

We rent a car out so no restrictions. The wine is the only issue but we have enough for another two years.

Airport hassle matches the ferry hassle, queuing to get on and off the boat.

No real weight restrictions for us as only 4 of us, so two big suitcases and we are ok, tennis rackets get brought along. We always rent a mobile home with a washing machine so amount of clothes needed is light.
    Fair enough.  We bring more than tennis rackets and I'd take loading the car at the front door and unloading it on arrival over the airport scramble any day.  But each to his own.

• Advertisement

Fair enough.  We bring more than tennis rackets and I'd take loading the car at the front door and unloading it on arrival over the airport scramble any day.  But each to his own.

Very true. Our main problem was our youngest isn't a good at travelling so the boat and 6 hour drive wasn't fair on him.

We did the boat for three years and when you use the boat it has to be part of the holiday.

Rackets were just an example:) Only thing we don't bring are football's as we buy them in decathlon.

South of France next year for us as want to be sure we get the weather:)

Providing you don't mind swapping a 2 hour drive to Rosslare for an extra 6-7 hours on board the ferry!! (Not sure 6-7 hours is the correct estimate but I believe it's something like that)

It's a 2 hour difference on way over and 1 hr on way back according to timetable if im reading correctly. If Ow is more comfy etc we will provably stick with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerd4

There is no comparisson between the oscar wilde and the epsilon. I sailed on the epsilon to holyhead and it was boring enough, imho its not suitable for the route to france.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Juggler101

It's a 2 hour difference on way over and 1 hr on way back according to timetable if im reading correctly. If Ow is more comfy etc we will provably stick with that.

We mistakenly booked the Dublin route on our first year, it's very small with no entertainment, lots of truckers, and a smaller number of families than you'd expect on an Ireland-France route. We went on the Oscar Wilde the next two years, I don't think we'll go back to the Epsilon at all! Maybe without kids it would be fine.

Well looks like we wont be going to Siblu next year, they will only accept a sat to sat booking in July and August. As we wanted to go for 10 days its not going to happen.
    Need to find out if Yelloh Camping do 10 days, anyone have a customer service email as their website only lists a phone number

• Advertisement

Juggler101 wrote: »

We mistakenly booked the Dublin route on our first year, it's very small with no entertainment, lots of truckers, and a smaller number of families than you'd expect on an Ireland-France route. We went on the Oscar Wilde the next two years, I don't think we'll go back to the Epsilon at all! Maybe without kids it would be fine.
    I think the Epsilon is similar in design to the Stena boat that does Rosslare-Cherbourg.  Its OK but definitely more a truckers ferry that takes cars.  Most cars go on the upper (open) deck on the Stena ship.

I think the Epsilon is similar in design to the Stena boat that does Rosslare-Cherbourg.  Its OK but definitely more a truckers ferry that takes cars.  Most cars go on the upper (open) deck on the Stena ship.

That's interesting, it would put me off going to Stena if that was the case!

will stick with OW so. Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Also thinking about next time round.
    We tend to do 2 Sites per Holiday. Want to go back to St. Avit Loisirs in the Dordogne but also looking at Cote d'Argent at Hourtin Plage for the 2nd Site.

Anyone been to Cote d'Argent ?
    Anyone know what the Eurocamp Avant Pitches are like?

Thanks in advance.

I'm also looking at these two sites. Anyone been to Cote d'Argent?
    Susan did you decide on it after all?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jeju

ifElseThen wrote:
    Lidl and SuperU a five min drive away for shopping. Lidl and super u open until 1.30 on Sunday so don't sweat about that when you arrive on Sat.

some amount of puking on Pont Aven last night!

Was on it, had to side step a few puddles all right, after the crossing we had last year where the ferry hopped back to Cork and everything on board shut down for safety we didn't notice much roughness.

mikerd4 wrote: »
    Well looks like we wont be going to Siblu next year, they will only accept a sat to sat booking in July and August. As we wanted to go for 10 days its not going to happen.
    Need to find out if Yelloh Camping do 10 days, anyone have a customer service email as their website only lists a phone number

Why not go private on a siblu site? Which site?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

juneg wrote: »
    I'm also looking at these two sites. Anyone been to Cote d'Argent?
    Susan did you decide on it after all?
    Thanks

Unfortunately we have decided not to do the Ferry/Campsite Holiday in 2018 but hopefully will be back again in 2019 - our plan then would be a return to St. Avit Loisirs in Le Bugue and based on Reviews etc we will give Cote d'Argent a go !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Unfortunately we have decided not to do the Ferry/Campsite Holiday in 2018 but hopefully will be back again in 2019 - our plan then would be a return to St. Avit Loisirs in Le Bugue and based on Reviews etc we will give Cote d'Argent a go !

Thanks Susan. Would St Avit Loisirs be sutable for a 14 yr old football mad teen. I know people with younger families rave about it, mine are a bit older. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Jpm123

Just booked for next year on Irish Ferries. I got the fifteen percent discount and was able to use my Tesco boost voucher so I'm happy out, all I have to do is see what siblu come back with on a price for la chamettes and it's sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

juneg wrote: »
    Thanks Susan. Would St Avit Loisirs be sutable for a 14 yr old football mad teen. I know people with younger families rave about it, mine are a bit older. Thanks

I think so. There were a good few Teens there when we were. Also Eurocamp do their "Base" Club for Teens on that site.

Our eldest will be 13 when we go next.

• Advertisement

Jpm123 wrote: »
    Just booked for next year on Irish Ferries. I got the fifteen percent discount and was able to use my Tesco boost voucher so I'm happy out, all I have to do is see what siblu come back with on a price for la chamettes and it's sorted.

What was the admin charge for using the boost voucher? My Tesco vouchers are pretty measly, I might just cover the charge with the few vouchers I have :eek:

Juggler101 wrote: »
    What was the admin charge for using the boost voucher? My Tesco vouchers are pretty measly, I might just cover the charge with the few vouchers I have :eek:

As far as I know you have to ring them to use your Tesco vouchers and telephone bookings have a twenty euro fee applied to them. Well it was for my booking anyway

Have you enquired about prices from Siblu yet? I'm interested in a Siblu site and can't get any response

Have you enquired about prices from Siblu yet? I'm interested in a Siblu site and can't get any response

We went private in les charmettes this year and was well worth it.

Also you can have your site picked out straight away. Ours had aircon, washing machine and was away from Luna park so nice and quiet.

Let me know if you want more information. The girl that looks after it all us irish and us always around the campsite.

Also you can have your site picked out straight away. Ours had aircon, washing machine and was away from Luna park so nice and quiet.

Let me know if you want more information. The girl that looks after it all us irish and us always around the campsite.

I'd be really interested in who you rented of privately. We have looked at Immobilehome and they are to get back to me with a price later on in the year but if you can recommend someone that would be great

Spoke with siblu. Although their prices arent posted if you email them they can give you a price.
    I was looking to book direct with siblu again as last year all the peivate owners wanted more money than siblu themselves for the same dates. Once funpasses were factored in aswell it was a no brainer. We were talking over 400e cheaper for the top end vans

Oh I'd really appreciate that please, I'd love more information.

mikerd4 wrote: »
    Spoke with siblu. Although their prices arent posted if you email them they can give you a price.
    I was looking to book direct with siblu again as last year all the peivate owners wanted more money than siblu themselves for the same dates. Once funpasses were factored in aswell it was a no brainer. We were talking over 400e cheaper for the top end vans

Thanks for that. What email address did you use? Thanks

I'd be really interested in who you rented of privately. We have looked at Immobilehome and they are to get back to me with a price later on in the year but if you can recommend someone that would be great

Here you go:

http://holidayinsouthwestfrance.com/

Aine is her name, if no reply via email go onto facebook.

Depending on the time of year but we saved about 500 euro by going private for first 2 weeks of July, after taking buying the funs passes etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭micks_address

Just booked for next year on Irish Ferries. I got the fifteen percent discount and was able to use my Tesco boost voucher so I'm happy out, all  I have to do is see what siblu come back with on a price for la chamettes and it's sorted.
    hi - can I ask re the 15% discount code? Did you get an email with it? Also we are arriving on our campsite july 7th and there doesn't seem to be a sailing on the 6th... only the 3rd or 9th of july... are there likely to be more sailings added? or should we be looking to adjust our camp site dates accordingly

Advertisement