Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

yellow76 wrote: »
    Oh I'd really appreciate that please, I'd love more information.

Here you go:

http://holidayinsouthwestfrance.com/

Aine is her name, if no reply via email go onto facebook.

Depending on the time of year but we saved about 500 euro by going private for first 2 weeks of July, after taking buying the funs passes etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

hi - can I ask re the 15% discount code? Did you get an email with it? Also we are arriving on our campsite july 7th and there doesn't seem to be a sailing on the 6th... only the 3rd or 9th of july... are there likely to be more sailings added? or should we be looking to adjust our camp site dates accordingly

Never mind, re-read and you need to be there on the 7th which would be a Friday sailing. No one sailing on that day it would appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

I'm looking for a recommendation for a campsite in France please. We've been going for a few years but I'd like somewhere new. We go by ferry.
    Himself loves to go walking or hiking. It's the only condition he asks for. I'd love to be near a beach but I'm not pushed. Kids are young teens so only care about wi fi and football. English speaking families would be nice to meet but not a deal breaker. What would you recommend? Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

juneg wrote: »
    I'm looking for a recommendation for a campsite in France please. We've been going for a few years but I'd like somewhere new. We go by ferry.
    Himself loves to go walking or hiking. It's the only condition he asks for. I'd love to be near a beach but I'm not pushed. Kids are young teens so only care about wi fi and football. English speaking families would be nice to meet but not a deal breaker. What would you recommend? Thanks in advance

Île de Ré is the best place (well we think it is the best place). It's an island off La Rochelle and once you get there you dump the car and cycle everywhere on its flat trails. It gets very busy in August as the island is very popular with the French (especially Parisians). The 9 towns on it are all beautiful and the are a lot of beaches. Eurocamp have a site on it in Loix.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,945 ✭✭✭✭josip

We stayed in Camping Sunelia Three Valleys just south of Lourdes this year.
    First day we hiked up to the Cirque Du Gavarnie.
    The second was a bit longer from the Tourmalet up to Pic du Midi de Bigorre.
    The campsite has free wifi, a pool etc and "tame wild" rabbits.
    If they're bored, Lourdes is just 10 minutes down the road :)

Another option if you want to drive a little further and get some really memorable hikes in, is Camping des Glaciers in La Fouly, Switzerland. Amazing location and a great hike up to to Cabane de La Neuve.
    There is wifi around the common area of the site but no pool.

Your kids might like the hiking also if there's something interesting at the end of it (eg, waterfall, observatory, glacier, hut on a precipice). Our 7 and 17 year old look forward to the hikes each year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Hi Folks,
    Been following this thread with jealousy all summer.
    We wend with campotel to Domain Des Ormes last year and had a great time - was our first time doing it.
    We are planning to go next year but would like to have a better chance of warmer weather - not too warm mind.
    We are planning to drive over in August and have gotten details for a few places.
    Les Genets and La Clarys Plage are two that I think may tick the boxes.
    The party will consist of a 7 year old, 4 and a half year old and a 1 year old as well as two adults.
    Has anyone any advice or reason to chose one site over the other?
    One of the kids likes "warm" pools, we like cycling and having things close by,
    Thanks in advance,
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

kippy wrote: »
    Hi Folks,
    We wend with campotel to Domain Des Ormes last year and had a great time - was our first time doing it.
    We are planning to go next year but would like to have a better chance of warmer weather - not too warm mind.
    We are planning to drive over in August and have gotten details for a few places.
    The party will consist of a 7 year old, 4 and a half year old and a 1 year old as well as two adults.
    Thanks in advance,
    Kippy

We love La Reserve and the reasons highlighted above. Kids have warm pools (indoor and outdoor) plus a warm freshwater lake to swim in and we (my wife and I) love cycling into Mimizan which is about a 40km round trip early(ish) morning around 7am for coffee and the most amazing almond croissants. The 20km spin home helps burn off the 1,000 calories each croissant must contain!!

The cycling paths around Bonne Anse Plage and Le Bois Masson are also very good but then cycle paths all over the regions seem to be very good so I'm not saying the sites I have experience of are better than the ones you've listed as I haven't been to them.

For younger kids Bonne Anse Plage is great as it literally backs onto a cycle path which runs all along the coast to the local town. We used to cycle it regularly with our 10 and 6 year old no problem as there's no cars just bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerd4

For Siblu I just emailed their general contact us email and asked for info when bookings would be ready for next year.  She told me to email dates etc as they can book them but the online booking wont be ready for some time.

I contacted Yelloh camping and they wont allow any bookings till November!!! That leaves us with a real dilema given its one of their sites we are really tempted to try but have no idea of costs etc yet but would need to book irish ferries etc  soonish to get the discount

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

We love La Reserve and the reasons highlighted above. Kids have warm pools (indoor and outdoor) plus a warm freshwater lake to swim in and we (my wife and I) love cycling into Mimizan which is about a 40km round trip early(ish) morning around 7am for coffee and the most amazing almond croissants. The 20km spin home helps burn off the 1,000 calories each croissant must contain!!

The cycling paths around Bonne Anse Plage and Le Bois Masson are also very good but then cycle paths all over the regions seem to be very good so I'm not saying the sites I have experience of are better than the ones you've listed as I haven't been to them.

For younger kids Bonne Anse Plage is great as it literally backs onto a cycle path which runs all along the coast to the local town. We used to cycle it regularly with our 10 and 6 year old no problem as there's no cars just bikes.

Bonne Anse Plage has a nice forest cycle path linking it up to les charmettes also, which is handy as there is zip lining etc down that way.

All my years running in La Playmre, I only found the cycle route from Bonne Plage to les charmettess this year:o

Going from Les Charmettes down to La playmre up to Bonne Plage and down the forest cycle route is a nice 6 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerd4

So i might be sorted as found 3 companies offering 10 days at le brasilia.

Venue holidays, al fresco and euro camp.

Has anyone booked any where with the above? Eurocamp are way more expensive, not quite sure what they offer that makes them worth the larger price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭aquarius10

mikerd4 wrote: »
    So i might be sorted as found 3 companies offering 10 days at le brasilia.

Venue holidays, al fresco and euro camp.

Has anyone booked any where with the above? Eurocamp are way more expensive, not quite sure what they offer that makes them worth the larger price?

Hi we've booked with al fresco before for Cote de nacre in normandy and was happy enough with them. They were very nice on site & a lot cheaper than Eurocamp. Would use again if price was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 santry

I know this is a French campsite thread, but having done French campsites for the last 4 years, we are looking for a change of scenery and wondering if anyone has been to the Cala Gogo campsite in Costa Brava, and if so, would you recommend it. I know it is a hilly site and hopefully that won't be too bad but will have 2 moody teenagers (15 & 14 boys) and was wondering if it will be suitable for them ??? Will also have 2 younger ones (11 & 9). Was looking at Sanguli but it is just so expensive.

Thanks for any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭manshay

Hi Folks,
    Thanks in advance,
    Kippy
    Campotel are fantastic! We stayed at Le Clarys Plage, it is a nice site, crowded like all successful sites. You can access the local supermarket through a side door in the campsite, must better than any onsite supermarket. The vendee has excellent weather but you probably won't need air con. We had temps of up to 32C there in August 15. It can get cloudy weather and rain but a lesser chance of that than Brittany.
    You can walk from Le Clarys to the beach. Cycle tracks are also close at hand.

manshay wrote: »
    Campotel are fantastic! We stayed at Le Clarys Plage, it is a nice site, crowded like all successful sites. You can access the local supermarket through a side door in the campsite, must better than any onsite supermarket. The vendee has excellent weather but you probably won't need air con. We had temps of up to 32C there in August 15. It can get cloudy weather and rain but a lesser chance of that than Brittany.
    You can walk from Le Clarys to the beach. Cycle tracks are also close at hand.

Thanks to all so far.
    I had heard that certain resources were shared between Les Genets and Le Clarys plage (You could use pools in either) - does anyone know if that is accurate?

Thanks to all so far.
    I had heard that certain resources were shared between Les Genets and Le Clarys plage (You could use pools in either) - does anyone know if that is accurate?

When I stayed at clarys Plage I never heard that. I stayed with Al fresco and it was a fine clean modern mobile with everything you could want. Matthews France have a lot of mobiles too. I love the fact that the supermarket is behind the back wall. It really does make life easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

When I stayed at clarys Plage I never heard that. I stayed with Al fresco and it was a fine clean modern mobile with everything you could want. Matthews France have a lot of mobiles too. I love the fact that the supermarket is behind the back wall. It really does make life easier.

Resources shared for kelair customers, we stayed in Genet's two years ago and in early June when things were not fully opened. Its beside Clary's plage so we had entertainment options in Clary's when Genet's bar was quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

Just back from Le Bois Masson yest and back to work :(

Drove past Le Clarys Plage and they have put in a cool big snake slide since we were the in 2014.

The proximity to the beach is excellent and a little cluster of shops and restaurants beside it is very handy...

Le Clarys is split across the road, smaller section on one side, with the larger part including pool and bar complex on the other side.

Thanks for all the useful posts and advice since. Decision made on Clarys, will let you know this time next year how it went!

Hi all,

Looking for some advice from people who are familiar with Irish Ferries operation.

We're heading back to France next June and would like to travel on Irish Ferries new ICE class ship if possible which is scheduled for delivery in May.

Does anyone know if the ship is on schedule for delivery in May and what it's first date of operation on the Ireland - France route will be?

ATM if you go to book online the Irish Ferries website offers a Rosslare - Roscoff option on June 15th on the Oscar Wilde and a Dublin - Cherbourg option on June 16th on the Epsilion. These are the dates we'd be looking at.

Apart from getting a feel for whether the new ship will be operational by June 15/16 I'd like to get an understanding of when it will be possible to book it and whether in fact it will simply replace the Epsilion meaning those who book the Dublin - Cherbourg route on the Epsilion will automatically be transferred to the new ship when it enters service.

I called IF asking about the new ship but the agent I spoke to told me she had no info on the new ship other than what has already been published.

Also, does anyone know why Brittany ferries prices appear to be so much more expensive for next year compared to this? I like to travel back via Cork as the Brittany ferries sailing from Roscoff is 21:30 (Vs IF's 18:30 sailing to Rosslare) as it gives up much more time to get the 9 hour journey to Roscoff done. This year we came home on a Friday sailing in early August and it cost €579 one way. Next year the same itinerary with same car, same cabin etc but Friday July 6th is quoting €780 which is a bit mental.

Any suggestions? Do Brittany usually have a bit of a sale coming up to or just after Xmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Gruffalo22

Did anyone book their holiday through The Sun newspaper website and if so what was the accommodation like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Crank Stain

The new boat will be in use from August 2018 and is replacing the Epsilon on the Dublin to France route, according to the Irish Ferries rep my wife spoke to last week.

The majority of the sailings scheduled for next year around the time we are looking to go are to Roscoff rather than Cherbourg so I was wondering if they were leaving gaps in the schedule for the new boat, but aparrently not.

Details of the new boat will be announced in October when the current 15% off promotion ends, so we'll know for certain then.

IF also confirmed that its possible to book online, use Trsco vouchers and get the 15% discount currently available.

I can't comment on Brittany Ferries, have only used Irish Ferries.

The new boat will be in use from August 2018 and is replacing the Epsilon on the Dublin to France route, according to the Irish Ferries rep my wife spoke to last week.

:( Ah well, I guess it's another year on the Oscar Wilde I guess.

Edit: Hedged my bet by paying the €15 cancellation fee and only paying the €100 deposit which is 100% refundable up to 42 days before sailing. Including the 15% discount my total for Rosslare to Roscoff with a 4X4 + roofbox + rear bike rack + 2* 4 bed cabin with window = €445.

I'll see what schedule and prices on the new boat are when announced in Oct to see if they get it on earlier than the info which was given to Crank Stain's wife and to see if I can get it back instead of the Pont Avon which is looking very expensive at €780.

Oh how I reminisce about the LD Lines ferry from Rosslare to Saint-Nazaire in 2014 for €168 one way inc cabin!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

:( Ah well, I guess it's another year on the Oscar Wilde I guess.

Edit: Hedged my bet by paying the €15 cancellation fee and only paying the €100 deposit which is 100% refundable up to 42 days before sailing. Including the 15% discount my total for Rosslare to Roscoff with a 4X4 + roofbox + rear bike rack + 2* 4 bed cabin with window = €445.

I'll see what schedule and prices on the new boat are when announced in Oct to see if they get it on earlier than the info which was given to Crank Stain's wife and to see if I can get it back instead of the Pont Avon which is looking very expensive at €780.

Oh how I reminisce about the LD Lines ferry from Rosslare to Saint-Nazaire in 2014 for €168 one way inc cabin!!!

Did you use the FC18A discount code in that price, Je Suis?

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Did you use the FC18A discount code in that price, Je Suis?

I did indeed and thank you to whoever posted it. I did a search of the thread and spotted it but not sure who originally posted it.

Is that 15% discount still available do ye know?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,893 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Thanks for all the useful posts and advice since. Decision made on Clarys, will let you know this time next year how it went!

It's a great site. 18 months ago they did a lot of work, extending the pool area, more sunbed and a very good snake slide. They also extended the bar area, which really was needed, it us now much more comfortable to be in even when there is a big crowd. The onsite pizza/burger/chips are really nice.
    The site is split in two, with the smaller one located directly across the road. It has a playground, wash area and is much quieter. I've stayed there 3 times and have always asked to be located there and simply walk across the road to the main site. Having a fine sized supermarket located 100 yards away is really handy and the restaurants and shops on the corner are nice as well. The beach us only a few minutes walk and there are plenty of cycle ways in the area.
    I'm just back myself from Le Bois Dormant which is about a 5 minute drive away in the direction of St. Jean De Monts, which really is a very nice sized town with a great market. The beach there is fabulous but on a windy day, a nightmare. Plenty to do there and there's a real nice buzz ariund there at night time with tge bars, restaurants, arcades etc and I would definitely recommend the Zip lining out in the forest by the golf club.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I don't know, but it's easy to to quickly run through a mock booking, and enter the code to see if its accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

Hi, i am looking some advice from ferry experts, I am trying to book a ferry from Dublin to Cherbourg and return on the same route. I see the ferry bookings on this route have been released until June 2018 but not in july as yet.
    My ferry trip is on 30th June and back on 20th july.

Should I wait until the July 2018 dates are released or should I book the June date now even if its one way?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭benny79

Hi All,

I have read this thread all summer as I booked to go Domaine des ormes actually going this Saturday :eek: Its our first holiday abroad with my young lad he's 7 (previous just when on staycations). I organised everything as the missus is useless at this stuff..

But now the time is approaching I'm nervous as hell.. and excited.. downloaded herewego app and the France map, buying a phone charger, got car nct'd etc We are staying in a Sarfari tent which looks cool my young lad is so excited he's even learning french sayings :D

So pack a few clothes, fill the car, bring booking reference & passports get to Ferry at least an hour in advance and hopefully find the campsite when we get off!

Has anyone got any other advise? bear in mind Im a total newbie! and bricking it.. I wont relax till im there! The camp site looks so big and theres a tonne of stuff to do so we wont have to go offsite only maybe to do a shop which suits me as I can relax kinda off :) Hope the weather is good..

Any advice would be great appreciated!

• Advertisement

Yes, available until October IIRC.

Advertisement