Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

benny79 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have read this thread all summer as I booked to go Domaine des ormes actually going this Saturday :eek: Its our first holiday abroad with my young lad he's 7 (previous just when on staycations). I organised everything as the missus is useless at this stuff..

But now the time is approaching I'm nervous as hell.. and excited.. downloaded herewego app and the France map, buying a phone charger, got car nct'd etc We are staying in a Sarfari tent which looks cool my young lad is so excited he's even learning french sayings :D

So pack a few clothes, fill the car, bring booking reference & passports get to Ferry at least an hour in advance and hopefully find the campsite when we get off!

Has anyone got any other advise? bear in mind Im a total newbie! and bricking it.. I wont relax till im there! The camp site looks so big and theres a tonne of stuff to do so we wont have to go offsite only maybe to do a shop which suits me as I can relax kinda off :) Hope the weather is good..

Any advice would be great appreciated!

Take the seasickness tablets before you get on the boat - they wont be much good to you if you wait till you're feeling ill.
    take a small box of essentials - a few binbags, some washing up liquid and a scrubber, any special spices (even salt and pepper) or sauce you like with your food a good knife etc. That'll get you out of most situations, and it'll save you spending a fortune on them in the onsite shop. Take a read back through the thread theres loads of great advice in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭benny79

Take the seasickness tablets before you get on the boat - they wont be much good to you if you wait till you're feeling ill.
    take a small box of essentials - a few binbags, some washing up liquid and a scrubber, any special spices (even salt and pepper) or sauce you like with your food a good knife etc. That'll get you out of most situations, and it'll save you spending a fortune on them in the onsite shop. Take a read back through the thread theres loads of great advice in there.

cheers someone but up loads of stuff about the site but it was months ago I actually didnt think this thread was so proper! and cant find it now! Is the ferry that bad I only ever went to holyhead years ago.. but it was like a hotel on the sea you wouldnt even know you were moving..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

cheers someone but up loads of stuff about the site but it was months ago I actually didnt think this thread was so proper! and cant find it now! Is the ferry that bad I only ever went to holyhead years ago.. but it was like a hotel on the sea you wouldnt even know you were moving..

personally I've never been sick, I reckon some people are more prone to it than others, for my wife its literally a 50/50 chance whether she'll be affected or not.

but yeah, the ferries are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

There's a few things you are supposed to have in the car under French law. High viz jackets (one for each), fire extinguisher, warning triangle. I've never been asked for them but it is the law... You can buy them on the ferry but much cheaper in somewhere like Halfords. The RSA will send you hi-viz jackets for free but you don't have time.

If you will be driving at night you should also put on headlight beam deflectors but you probably won't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Hi All,

I have read this thread all summer as I booked to go Domaine des ormes actually going this Saturday :eek: Its our first holiday abroad with my young lad he's 7 (previous just when on staycations). I organised everything as the missus is useless at this stuff..

But now the time is approaching I'm nervous as hell.. and excited.. downloaded herewego app and the France map, buying a phone charger, got car nct'd etc We are staying in a Sarfari tent which looks cool my young lad is so excited he's even learning french sayings :D

So pack a few clothes, fill the car, bring booking reference & passports get to Ferry at least an hour in advance and hopefully find the campsite when we get off!

Has anyone got any other advise? bear in mind Im a total newbie! and bricking it.. I wont relax till im there! The camp site looks so big and theres a tonne of stuff to do so we wont have to go offsite only maybe to do a shop which suits me as I can relax kinda off :) Hope the weather is good..

I assume you're arriving in Roscoff so it's only a 2 hour drive. You'll be grand.

Just remember to drive on the right and concentrate when approaching and entering roundabouts, you need to give way to traffic from the LEFT and go round them anti clockwise!!

Once you get a few KM's under your belt and have navigated a few roundabout's you'll relax but each time you get into the car you need to hit the reset button in your head and make a conscious decision to drive on the right. As a young lad 20 years ago I nearly made a fatal mistake. I'd gotten confident and "forgot" to look to my left when pulling out onto a busy road from our hotel. I looked right, saw no oncoming traffic and went to pull left onto the right hand side of the road when I suddenly heard tyres screeching and a Volvo estate bearing down on us at serious speed. I froze and the car I was driving (which had 5 passengers) stalled @ 90 degrees to the oncoming Volvo ready to be T boned on the passenger side. In fairness to the Volvo driver he remained calm as a cucumber and swerved right onto the grass verge behind our car then back up onto the road and kept going. I absolutely $h1t myself. The skid marks on the road were there for the remainder of our holiday. But for the quick reactions and driving skill of the Volvo driver there would have been at least 5-6 fatalities that day.

I learned my lesson and never ever get too comfortable driving on the right hand side, even coming towards the end of a 3 week holiday I still remind myself every time I get in the car that I need to concentrate hard and never switch to auto pilot mode as I would often do at home.

I don't mean to scare you BTW, just sharing an experience which might help you to understand that driving on the right is not particularly challenging but does require constant concentration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭BennytheBall

Hi

We did our first family campsite holiday this year in Spain, near Salou.

Next year we would like to try somewhere similar along the French coastline between Nice and Perpignan. There seem to be loads but not sure where to start...

I would love to get any recommendations from boards members for campsites that might fit the bill...

- Somewhere within 30 mins drive of an airport - we don't want to hire a car, so within a reasonable taxi ride.
    - High proportion of English speaking families
    - Good standard of cabins/accommodation and facilities for 6-8 year olds.
    - Walking distance to village or town from the campsite, for a variety of restaurants, etc.

TIA for any suggestions...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Hi All,

Fire Extinguisher
    Spare Bulbs
    Warning Triangle
    Hi-Viz for everyone

Passports
    Driving Licences
    VRC
    E111
    Travel & Health Ins Details
    Ref Numbers for Ferry & Campsite

Bread Knife
    Sharp Cooking Knives
    Rectangular Pyrex Dish
    Tea Towels
    Hand Towels
    Pool Towels
    Wash up Liquid & Brush
    Herbs & Spices
    Salt & Pepper
    Any Sauces you particularly like

Sun Cream

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

In led ormes at the present. Mighty site,actually a bit overwhelming when you arrive first but easy to find your way around. When you come off in Roscoff put Dol De Bretagne into the sat-nav and that will get you within 3km, take combourg route from there and its on your left hand side. Can't miss entrance, well signposted. Small spar shop onsite so a good idea to go to superU or leclerc's on the way down. Site has so much to do ye won't need to leave at all if you don't want to.
    Enjoy !
    P.$. 30 degrees here today !

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    I don't know, but it's easy to to quickly run through a mock booking, and enter the code to see if its accepted.

It was available this time yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Lots in Barcares, havent stayed in them, but there are lots

Barcares is 20 mins from Perp airport, lots of towns (near Perps) on the coast, with campsites Argeles , St Cyprien , Canet etc

Be aware taxis are v expensive in France, Barcares is 20 mins from Perp airport, taxi about 60-70 euro

several in Barcares v near town, walk able ,https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Port+Barcar%C3%A8s+Camping+Le+Soleil+Bleu/@42.7776802,3.0216776,16z/data=!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x12b060ba903c3217:0x407882116676f00!2s66420+Le+Barcar%C3%A8s,+France!3b1!8m2!3d42.78773!4d3.036565!3m4!1s0x0:0x2635a8a01ddc1bc!8m2!3d42.7764877!4d3.028155?hl=en

Often its cheaper to fly to Girona and hire a car, then to fly to Perps and use a taxi , Girona approx 90 mins easy drive to Barcares, and of course you have use of a car , if needed

V nice beaches in Barcares, excellent cycle track beside the campsites , kids activities on the beach
    https://www.google.ie/search?q=voie+verte+barcares&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwicsMXZrf3VAhWsLsAKHQSmCLMQ_AUICygC&biw=1366&bih=638

Main Supermarket in Barcares town is SuperU, restaurants about 20e 3 course meal , restaurant carafe of wine 12 e

There is a Lidl , Aldi and Intermarche near to the camp sites above
    https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/Port+Barcar%C3%A8s+Camping+Le+Soleil+Bleu,+Mas+de+la+Tourre,+Route+de+Saint+Laurent,+66423+Le+Barcar%C3%A8s,+France/Intermarch%C3%A9+Super,+Route+du+Barcar%C3%A8s,+Saint-Laurent-de-la-Salanque,+France/@42.7747539,3.0171621,16z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x12b0612e1a2d2165:0x2635a8a01ddc1bc!2m2!1d3.0281556!2d42.7764874!1m5!1m1!1s0x12b066cf65b3b1a9:0xaedfbdf1b3b17316!2m2!1d3.0152515!2d42.7722864?hl=en

If you have access to a car, Barcares etc, v near to Spain, and French Pyrenees if you wanted to do something different

these guys might have more suggestions about the area you are interested in ;

http://anglophone-direct.com/

Other low cost airports if needed are Carcasonne and Rodez, these however are approx one hour from coast

I know Barcares fairly well, if you need info on the immediate vicinity , let me know

• Advertisement

Very helpful information, thank you so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Just keeping the concentration on the road again. We'd never have music/ radio on as we do at home as I'd be afraid we'd go into autopilot.
    Take photos of all your documents, or photocopies.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Juggler101

Deeman83 wrote: »
    Hi, i am looking some advice from ferry experts, I am trying to book a ferry from Dublin to Cherbourg and return on the same route. I see the ferry bookings on this route have been released until June 2018 but not in july as yet.
    My ferry trip is on 30th June and back on 20th july.

Should I wait until the July 2018 dates are released or should I book the June date now even if its one way?

A few days ago I was able to get prices for ferries well into July - Irish Ferries at least have it all available to book now. Make sure to use the 15% code though!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cedar5

Where were you in spain this year?we are considering south of France or spain next year and would also love recommendations. Like you we would prefer not to have a car and lots if activities for 8-14 yr olds.We have done bella italia in lake garda and enjoyed it lots of sport and good night entertainment thanks

We were in Sanguli earlier this year in their new African themed section.
    I would highly recommend it - it was excellent. Added bonus is Reus airport is nearby.

Cambrils park was next door, and we took a walk through it, but preferred Sanguli from what we saw, though Cambrils is very popular too.

Would like something at a similar standard to Sanguli next year so was thinking South of France. (We holiday at the start of June so prefer not to go any further North).

cedar5 wrote: »
    Where were you in spain this year?we are considering south of France or spain next year and would also love recommendations. Like you we would prefer not to have a car and lots if activities for 8-14 yr olds.We have done bella italia in lake garda and enjoyed it lots of sport and good night entertainment thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

Juggler101 wrote: »
    Hi, i am looking some advice from ferry experts, I am trying to book a ferry from Dublin to Cherbourg and return on the same route. I see the ferry bookings on this route have been released until June 2018 but not in july as yet.
    My ferry trip is on 30th June and back on 20th july.

Should I wait until the July 2018 dates are released or should I book the June date now even if its one way?

A few days ago I was able to get prices for ferries well into July - Irish Ferries at least have it all available to book now. Make sure to use the 15% code though!
    Thanks. It appears that there are no Dublin routes released in July 2018 as yet. I'll definately try the code!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Juggler101

Thanks. It appears that there are no Dublin routes released in July 2018 as yet. I'll definately try the code!

Apologies, I was looking at Rosslare!!! My bad ;)

First Up wrote: »
    There's a few things you are supposed to have in the car under French law. High viz jackets (one for each), fire extinguisher, warning triangle. I've never been asked for them but it is the law... You can buy them on the ferry but much cheaper in somewhere like Halfords. The RSA will send you hi-viz jackets for free but you don't have time.

If you will be driving at night you should also put on headlight beam deflectors but you probably won't be.

Yeah heard this but a few people said you be grand not to bother. But a lad in work is lending them to me he was there early summer

westgolf wrote: »
    In led ormes at the present. Mighty site,actually a bit overwhelming when you arrive first but easy to find your way around. When you come off in Roscoff put Dol De Bretagne into the sat-nav and that will get you within 3km, take combourg route from there and its on your left hand side. Can't miss entrance, well signposted. Small spar shop onsite so a good idea to go to superU or leclerc's on the way down. Site has so much to do ye won't need to leave at all if you don't want to.
    Enjoy !
    P.$. 30 degrees here today !

Im sailing to Cherboug.. but Thanks cant wait now ...

First Up wrote: »

Yeah heard this but a few people said you be grand not to bother. But a lad in work is lending them to me he was there early summer
    Not sure about the Halfords pack, but a french Gendarmerie was checking the lights had the stickers on when I drove through Cherbourg. May have been a jobsworth on a solo mission but I would definately put on the headlamp beam stickers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

You're driving with a child on the other side of the road. Don't take the 'be grand, don't bother' approach. The times I've gone I've never been stopped or asked, but the French police do on the spot fines so it's worth your while to bring the stuff you need:
    • Spare bulb set
    • Warning Triangle
    • Hi-Viz jackets for each.
    • Breathalysers
    • Headlamp deflector converter

Don't avoid buying breakdown cover or travel insurance. We bought an 18 month old car about 2 weeks before we went over a few weeks ago but I still bought the breakdown cover regardless. Last thing you want is to be stuck on the side of the road, trying to figure out who to ring or how the hell you get to where you need to be.

As for driving on the ***RIGHT**** , it's not that daunting. The French love large roundabouts instead of traffic lights and in my opinion it makes for seamless easier driving.

This time of year, the sites may be beginning to wind down but you'll have a good time.

Our 7 year old brought a football and one of those popup goals and even with a lack of French, he had a great time kicking ball with the French kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Jeez, ifElseThen, don't advise him to drive on the left!

What are the stickers? never heard about them do you get them in halfords?

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Jeez, ifElseThen, don't advise him to drive on the left!

:):)

What are the stickers? never heard about them do you get them in halfords?

Yeah http://www.halfords.ie/motoring/travel-accessories/car-headlamp-converters/halfords-headlamp-converters

Irish cars deflect to the left to avoid dazzling oncoming motorists. So when driving on the right, Irish beams would deflect into the path of oncoming motorists... These remove that problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭manshay

ifElseThen wrote: »
    Yeah http://www.halfords.ie/motoring/travel-accessories/car-headlamp-converters/halfords-headlamp-converters

Irish cars deflect to the left to avoid dazzling oncoming motorists. So when driving on the right, Irish beams would deflect into the path of oncoming motorists... These remove that problem.

With some cars you can change a setting to do this.

Has anyone any experience of bringing a Touring Caravan over to france? I am planning to do that summer 2018.
    I have experience of driving on the "wrong side" but never towing. I need to check that electrical connections EHU work for a UK manufactured van on the french camp sites.
    I plan on taking it easy and mimising the driving/towing in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Im sailing to Cherboug.. but Thanks cant wait now ...

Same applies from Cherbourg port..just slower to unload than Roscoff.

Enjoy.

manshay wrote: »
    With some cars you can change a setting to do this.

That's great to know, thanks. Could've saved myself the price of a couple of bottles of wine :) Must check it out on the VW Caddy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭manshay

ifElseThen wrote: »
    That's great to know, thanks. Could've saved myself the price of a couple of bottles of wine :) Must check it out on the VW Caddy.

It depends on the spec of the car. My 141 VW Passat didn't have it but it was mentioned in the manual as an option..

Advertisement